Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > bartending...

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

so how many of you bartend?  and how did you get started?  im looking to start bartending and ive heard from some people that if you take classes that sometimes it limits where you can go or not to find employment.  just curious! 

thanks!

Nov 08 05 01:35 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

From what I hear, taking classes doesn't help.  It's all about who you know...

Nov 08 05 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I would imagine if you don't take classes, and you don't know how to bartend, how do you suppose you learn? You can search the internet for some cheat sheets but you'll look like an ass in the bar reading how to mix drinks from the palm of your hand or a book. At least if you take the classes you will a foundation, please a certificate. I know here in PA, you will obtain a couple different different certifications if you take a class and pass it.

You might consider it a waste of time, but you never know who might be teaching the class. Depending on where you want to work could play a role in why you would or wouldn't consider taking the class as well.

Nov 08 05 04:26 pm Link

Model

Carl Ayers

Brooklyn, New York, US

I've been bartending since 2002.  Honestly, it hasn't helped me get any jobs in NYC, but it helped a LOT in Va.  Some establishments prefer to have someone who hasn't gone to bartending school b/c they prefer to train the person to work in their establishment.  Yet on the flipside, they want someone with experience.  Catch 22???  Bottom line, it all comes down to marketing yourself.  If you can demonstrate that you know the basic drinks, you should be able to pick up the more complicated drinks.

Nov 08 05 04:33 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Emg is correct.  It is about who you know but also how you look especially if you want to work in certain places.   There was a company in NY that was paying big bucks for model looking waitresses who would serve topless.    Skill might be involved but how much.   Maybe an extreme example but just take a look around at who is working as a bartender in the places that you wish to work.

I bartended for 12 years from the age of 17(for my father did know someone) to a few years after getting out of school.   I did take a class for I was simply clueless at that time.   

Some states offer training and certification that bars do what you to have for insurance purposes.   

My first job was a one of the more popular night clubs in my home state.   I lasted one day for the owner asked me for a J&B on the rocks and I had to ask another bartender what was in it.
  Yes,  that clueless.  So a class may help.   Whether or not you take a class,  getting a job is often about your presentation and getting over that hump of "how do you get experience if need it to get a job".   This is where the contacts of the classes or teacher may help for even serving drinks at a local playhouse can be experience to take to the next job.   

I would advise writing down the drinks into a palm pilot or small pocket size address book then quickly looking it up if you get lost.   Also once you know bartending,  you will know that if a person does not know what is in a drink then they should not be drinking it.   If they can tell you the basic ingrediants then you can make it for the recipes are all basically the same logic.

I believe one of the programs for additional training was TIPS which was related to not letting drunk people drive or get too drunk.   Check in your state or area if this is appreciated or offered.

Good training is simply go to a library and get some books.   The books are all confusing and often wrong but the library is always a good place to start for anything you wish to do.

Then read and just go watch a bartender for a few nights.   Waitering in the right places can be a lead into bartending but also can be a dead end.   Waitering can make you more money in a shorter amount of time if the right place but Bartenders are usually given more respect.   That is worth much in my book.

contact me dirrectly if you need more information.

Nov 08 05 04:45 pm Link

Model

Carl Ayers

Brooklyn, New York, US

MHana wrote:
Emg is correct.  It is about who you know but also how you look especially if you want to work in certain places.   There was a company in NY that was paying big bucks for model looking waitresses who would serve topless.    Skill might be involved but how much.   Maybe an extreme example but just take a look around at who is working as a bartender in the places that you wish to work.

I bartended for 12 years from the age of 17(for my father did know someone) to a few years after getting out of school.   I did take a class for I was simply clueless at that time.   

Some states offer training and certification that bars do what you to have for insurance purposes.   

My first job was a one of the more popular night clubs in my home state.   I lasted one day for the owner asked me for a J&B on the rocks and I had to ask another bartender what was in it.
  Yes,  that clueless.  So a class may help.   Whether or not you take a class,  getting a job is often about your presentation and getting over that hump of "how do you get experience if need it to get a job".   This is where the contacts of the classes or teacher may help for even serving drinks at a local playhouse can be experience to take to the next job.   

I would advise writing down the drinks into a palm pilot or small pocket size address book then quickly looking it up if you get lost.   Also once you know bartending,  you will know that if a person does not know what is in a drink then they should not be drinking it.   If they can tell you the basic ingrediants then you can make it for the recipes are all basically the same logic.

I believe one of the programs for additional training was TIPS which was related to not letting drunk people drive or get too drunk.   Check in your state or area if this is appreciated or offered.

Good training is simply go to a library and get some books.   The books are all confusing and often wrong but the library is always a good place to start for anything you wish to do.

Then read and just go watch a bartender for a few nights.   Waitering in the right places can be a lead into bartending but also can be a dead end.   Waitering can make you more money in a shorter amount of time if the right place but Bartenders are usually given more respect.   That is worth much in my book.

contact me dirrectly if you need more information.

I still have my 'TIPS' book.  In NY, establishments may receive an insurance break if a certain percentage of their staff is 'TIPS' certified.  And yes, hit up the library or bokstore for some resources.  Idiot's Guide to Bartending is a good start, in my opinion.

Nov 08 05 05:07 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Carl Ayers wrote:
I still have my 'TIPS' book.  In NY, establishments may receive an insurance break if a certain percentage of their staff is 'TIPS' certified.  And yes, hit up the library or bokstore for some resources.  Idiot's Guide to Bartending is a good start, in my opinion.

Thanks for the information.

(Ps.  When quoting a long quote just above you or on the same page,  you do not need to quote the Whole thing.   No worries though.  thanks for the information,  it has been some time since I have bartended.)

Nov 08 05 05:10 pm Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

well im gonna be moving from Florida to NYC, so ill have to be NY certified.  as far as finding employment, the classes that i will be certified through get you a job as a bartender.  you pay like 300 bucks and you become certified and they get you a good job and all.  its called like tri state bartending..  or something like that.  i get the info in the mail soon. 

i need something to be able to make good money and thought that bartending and waiting would probably be the best option for me.  im a people person and i can do anything i put my mind to.  if you read my profile youll get an idea of how i operate. 

any suggestions if bartending doesnt work out.  i need something that is very flexible due to the fact that i will never know when a casting or audition is until a couple days notice if even that. 

thanks everyone!

Nov 08 05 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

I drink too much. Last time I gave a urine sample there was an olive in it.

Nov 08 05 09:52 pm Link

Model

_Blip_

Tampa, Florida, US

You don't have to be certified to bartend in NY. Just be careful if you go to work for a restaurant in Manhattan. Apparently, some places think that it's perfectly acceptable to make you "train" for free "before hiring you." Nothing like having a restaurant decide to try out 30+ bartenders for free at one week of shifts each. At that rate, why ever bother hiring anyone at all? Can you tell I'm a bit miffed?! ;-)

Good luck with the job search!

Nov 08 05 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

vegasmusicandfilm

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Greetings mydividedunity
I started a photoshoot at a LV Hotel on the strip in 1992. It ran every sunday for over 7 years. The owner of the hotel was short a bartender one night at his bar there, on the grave shift. Midnight to eight in the morning. He asked me if I would help him out and take over the shift. I said sure, plus I didn't want to lose my photo-shoot location. I did explain to him that at first I was going to be the worst LV strip bartender because I didn't have any experience bartending. That only lasted a short time, because I made drink flash cards and learned where everythings was kept. I became a top bartender in Las Vegas in a very short time. Maybe because of the the different paytrons that I had and their taste in drinks. I also learned the gaming aspect of bartending, video poker,black jack, keno, and more. Its has been a very lucrative profession. Alot people ask me the same question about how can they become a bartender. I always say: Try to drink at the bar you want to work at. Meet the owner or get to know them. Take a class if you can afford it, and that it has job placement. Some restaurants have bars in them get any job there and ask if you can train at there bar for free. Tell them you will clean, stock, and serve. The manager or owner may take you up on it, when its slow. Sometimes you can get a few hours in. Get to know your local bartenders maybe they might have a tip for you on a place thats looking for a new bartender, if you have a good tip for them.

Nov 10 05 08:28 pm Link

Model

Monique Jeanine

Tampa, Florida, US

My first bartending job was as a Coyote at Coyote Ugly in Ybor City/ Tampa. I had absolutely no experience, buty they just throw you in there so I learned fast. After working there for a while I had no trouble finding anotherbartendeing job when I left. When it comes to bartending, I really think experience is the best teacher! ;-)

Nov 10 05 11:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Dude, go down to Chelsea.  ANY bar there will hire you.
It's not just who you know, but how you look.
Best of luck with your move.
Let us know where you are bartending and we will all come down and give you a run for your money! lol

Nov 11 05 02:58 pm Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

im just looking to get a nice place so that when my gf comes up 6 months later that she will feel safe. 

i contacted a bartending agency and they are sending me some info.  they also provide a place to work too. 

how hard is it to pull in like 4k a month in NYC?  i figure if i work like 6 days a week i should be pretty good if im at a good bar.  i can also wait tables.  im working at a great restruant and getting alot of great experience.  so yeah!

thanks everyone for all the help!

Nov 12 05 12:26 pm Link

Model

Lisa Fortier

Cocoa, Florida, US

Oh Darling Son of Mine....as your Mommy...I forbid you to bartend.... LOL.....
Been there done that Hun...remember????

Apple don't fall far from the tree...hee hee

Don't move....I'll miss you for sure sweetie!!!!

Ma

Nov 12 05 12:30 pm Link