Forums > General Industry > D.I.Y. aka Do It Yourself

Model

Alexandra Paris

Portland, Arkansas, US

What are your feelings on D.I.Y. when it comes to promoting yourself? Do you sit back and wait for your agent to make it happen? Or if you don't have an agent, do you do it for yourself?

May 19 05 05:08 am Link

Photographer

Yuki Miike

Oakland, California, US

i are always cooking myself.

May 19 05 05:47 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Yuki Miike: 

Japanese people don't write like this

May 19 05 07:29 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

i promote myself.  wouldn't mind a photography agent.

May 19 05 07:42 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists ®: 

Posted by Yuki Miike: 

Are you kidding?  My ex would butcher language,  even Japanese her native language. 

Mak, where is you are?  Mak,  come now my house. 

And when she would call --Hello,  Helen(I am not using her name to protect the guilty) ----I used to think wait did I just call her,  no she called me....

But my favorite was Makkkkkkkk,  noooooooo,  dog peeee my bed,  nooooooooooooo

I trained her well.

May 19 05 09:19 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
i promote myself.  wouldn't mind a photography agent.

I went to Langley to look for a photo agent but they told me to get lost.  They did not even look at my book.

What am I doing wrong?

I went to NSA too but I am not allowed to say that.  This sentence was written with lemon juice.

May 19 05 09:21 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

No, I'm not kidding.

They study 6 years of written English in school. They all make the same grammatical mistakes. Their written mistakes do not mimmik their spoken mistakes.

His mistakes were obvious fakery, which would be fine, except some people seemed not to be able to tell...

Posted by marksora: 

Posted by XtremeArtists ®: 

Posted by Yuki Miike: 

Are you kidding?  My ex would butcher language,  even Japanese her native language. 

Mak, where is you are?  Mak,  come now my house. 

And when she would call --Hello,  Helen(I am not using her name to protect the guilty) ----I used to think wait did I just call her,  no she called me....

But my favorite was Makkkkkkkk,  noooooooo,  dog peeee my bed,  nooooooooooooo

I trained her well.

May 19 05 09:30 am Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

When in doubt - do it yourself

Most people in this industry that are "agents" "model Manager's" really do suck at what they do - if you happen to have a good one then let them do it.....

But from the ones i have delt with they lost their models more business from me than anything.... plus I like dealing with the model directaly and not a go between...

Posted by Alexandra Paris: 
What are your feelings on D.I.Y. when it comes to promoting yourself? Do you sit back and wait for your agent to make it happen? Or if you don't have an agent, do you do it for yourself?

May 19 05 09:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

I agree...  They get too many people to focus on any one in particular...

Besides - if one wants to get something done, and done right - it is best to do it one's self.

May 19 05 09:48 am Link

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

I agree- Only you can look out for yourself- So self promotion is best.

May 19 05 01:34 pm Link

Model

Maxtastic

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

Well, when it comes to directing my career, I do it myself, but I have contacts with a few small agencies that help me maintain. I still look around for fun projects or new work to improve my career, so I guess that counts as self promotion.

May 19 05 10:56 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

You are always your own best promoter, and no-one will work as hard for you as you will. I have agencies to get me the types of auditions and jobs that only come through agencies... but I love dealing with stuff myself.

May 20 05 08:47 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I do most things myself...but I about ready to turn it over to someone else. I guess I'm a baby. I was thinking of starting a thread myself that asked models who manage themselves how they do it!

Angel

May 20 05 08:56 pm Link

Model

Mistress Purgatori

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I always do it myself and I network My ass off.I have more connections in the industry then alot of others who have been doing it for yrs.and not just in alternative modeling either.
and really who better to sell yourself then yourself?
I can get the job done and don't need anyone to do it for Me.besides the pay gigs I get do I want anyone taking a cut of My money?of course not!
xxx
MP

May 20 05 08:59 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Paris

Portland, Arkansas, US

I too promote myself. I was signed with an agency but they dissolved due to internal conflicts and I felt like I kind of got screwed over. So from this point I am DIY.

May 23 05 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

If you want to get the job done right, DIY.

May 23 05 05:44 pm Link

Model

Alicia Mapp

Beverly Hills, California, US

I agree with a few people on both.  Self promote and have little agencies working with you.  It's like having an open agency in real estate.  YOu have several listing agents trying to sell your home.  The one that sells your home, gets the commission.  Try applying this to modeling, photography, make-up and hair artists.

Therefore, you are exposed to MUCH MORE clientele than if you just stuck with ONE agent or manager. 

On the other hand, if you self promote to a point that you have people wanting you left and right and you're doing crazy with calls, meetings, castings, etc......there might be a good time to get some help with a manager or agency.

May 23 05 07:57 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Paris

Portland, Arkansas, US

You would be surprised at how many people in this industry are sort of against D.I.Y. I remember when I was on Musecube, there was this know-it-all who said that models should never do their own hair and make-up on a shoot.

May 25 05 07:15 am Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

I can't imagine not doing my own hair and makeup. It's always a fun luxury to have someone to do it for me, but I feel confident knowing I have the ability myself.

May 25 05 12:24 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Paris

Portland, Arkansas, US

Posted by AstraDivaJ: 
I can't imagine not doing my own hair and makeup. It's always a fun luxury to have someone to do it for me, but I feel confident knowing I have the ability myself. 

I agree. If you can't do it yourself what is the point?

May 25 05 11:48 pm Link