Forums > General Industry > nudity...austin powers agency in particular

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Angel Tara: 
seems everyone has a different opinion. Sexual photos hurt...most agree on that. But fashion topless? 

Ten, maybe fifteen years ago I might have had a different opinion.

But today, fashion topless and glamour topless is no big deal. Boobs and butts are de rigueur. As long as you're not showing pubic hair (at best) or genitalia (at worst), it's all fashion.

This is, of course, my opinion.

May 21 05 12:01 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Well Angel, our opinions don't matter very much. It's not about our opinions. I was trying to tell you my understanding of how it works, maybe my information is out of date or incorrect. But what I know is a fact is that no one's personal opinion here on what should be ok according to their own tastes or values has zero relevance. What matters are what the realities of the marketplace are. Ask your agent or booker at Affiliated. Directing you in such matters is part of their job. Ask the I Group, ask Traque, ask UFO, call Ford or Arlene Wilson in Chicago, call Mcdonald/Richards in Connecticut or the Lyons Group in NY. Talk to real working commercial models.

I'm curious though, for anyone who's able to recognize what legitimate commercial work actually looks like in style and quality, you know, ads for consumer products in mainstream non-fashion women’s or family magazines. The woman playing a bank teller, a mom with her kids, an office worker, the wife in a chic or average suburban living room or dining room, the girl wearing Gap, the woman on a ponds face cream box, the girl in a Lands End catalog etc., ... how many internet ass n' titty models also have work that looks legitimately anything like what I just described in their portfolios? Any commercial tear sheets that aren't booty shots for a local nightclub? Anything that looks like a lifestyle stock shoot that could end up in Real Simple or People magazine?

Conversely, how many models that you see in those magazines, those ads, those catalogs, do you see all over the internet posting ass n' titty shots, web glamour shots or half assed GWC attempts at "fine art"???

Car shows, Import modeling, promo work at strip mall openings, biker or hot rod magazine ads or editorials, alternative, rock, goth or fetish clothing ads, local dance club ads, bikini models etc. Sure, you'll see them in booty and glamour shots all over the web. No worries. But models doing mainstream commercial gigs pulling in 10, 15, or even 50 grand? I'm skeptical. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but if doing those gigs is your goal then don't rely on us, go to the sources. Forget isolated anecdotes, forget Kate Moss, Cindy Crawford & Vanessa Williams.

May 21 05 03:00 am Link

Photographer

johnny olsen

Los Angeles, California, US

i got offered $2000 for a hair ad

yeah, but did you book, the gig and MAKE the 2 grand?  with all due respect, even if you did, how many gigs like that do you think are available for a 5'4" girl who doesn't live in a major market?

follow your own heart.  when your head hits the pillow, you need to be ok with your decision.

https://candydreams.com/upload/paige_couch048.jpg

May 21 05 12:37 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Posted by johnny olsen: 

i got offered $2000 for a hair ad

yeah, but did you book, the gig and MAKE the 2 grand?  with all due respect, even if you did, how many gigs like that do you think are available for a 5'4" girl who doesn't live in a major market?

follow your own heart.  when your head hits the pillow, you need to be ok with your decision.

What is your point? That I got lucky? That I'm 5'4", not in a major market and have a slim chance of landing major jobs? It sounds to me that because of my demographics I have no other option than to show my titties. I'm sorry man, but there is such a thing as northwest airlines and lets see, as someone posted earlier..."I'm curious though, for anyone who's able to recognize what legitimate commercial work actually looks like in style and quality, you know, ads for consumer products in mainstream non-fashion women’s or family magazines. The woman playing a bank teller, a mom with her kids, an office worker, the wife in a chic or average suburban living room or dining room, the girl wearing Gap, the woman on a ponds face cream box, the girl in a Lands End catalog etc., ... " hellooooo....are they 5'10 on the runway of milan?

like i said, maybe i am jumping the gun, but whats your point? And I may add that this 2G gig is new but last month I worked a gig and got $1800...

Am I the only one that thought that statement was unfair? I can easily do GM ads, my agent from Affiliated called me about a hushpuppy ad, my girlfriend who is 5'0 got a billboard gig...and she's in MI...come on now...with all due respect to you as well, am i jumping the gun by being hurt by your statement?

My question was that if I do topless, will the commercial gigs stop coming.

I should have just asked Roberre. But I like the forums, so I presented it here. i suppose that was a bad idea

May 21 05 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Brian Kirk: 
Buddy, do your homework.

Was I asking to much to get your view or opinion of my last paragraph? If you don't have an opinion then that's fine. Just wondering because as much info that you are giving, you are still not addressing the point which is not nudity. But it's cool, we can drop it!

May 21 05 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Brian Kirk:
Paula Jones vs. William Jefferson Clinton ...
"I did not have sex with that woman"

that was monika lewinski, he didn't have sex with..he had plenty of sex with paula jones...

May 21 05 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Good point. The details came out during the Paula Jones investigation/lawsuit, but the quote was in reference to Monica.

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Brian Kirk:

that was monika lewinski, he didn't have sex with..he had plenty of sex with paula jones...

May 21 05 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by XtremeArtists ®: 

Good point. The details came out during the Paula Jones investigation/lawsuit, but the quote was in reference to Monica.

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Brian Kirk:

ok..he was right..i was wrong..he sited the case...not the quote..my bad...

May 21 05 08:20 pm Link

Model

Alicia Mapp

Beverly Hills, California, US

I can see why you probably get tons of offers to do topless or nudity shots.  You are very beautiful and have a lot of sex appeal.  Honey, I would never do topless or nudity unless it was for PLAYBOY.  And as you know, playboy pays their centerfolds at least $25,000......which of course is a BIG difference than $2,000.  And everyone knows once you do Playboy it really boosts your career.......because it's been around for a long, long time so in these times......you can still be respected posing for Playboy because it's considered tasteful than Hustler (per say).  I mean just the title on your resume alone would get you somewhere!

But other than that, I would stick to your guns and don't do topless for some rinky-dink company or photographer cause you never know where your pictures might end up.  I just wouldn't trust anything without a contract.  And if for some reason you're trying to maybe be an actress.....then DEFINETLY not a good move for an acting career.

you don't need to do any nudity to further your career, you looks and photos will get you there.

May 23 05 12:10 am Link

Model

Alicia Mapp

I can see why you probably get tons of offers to do topless or nudity shots.  You are very beautiful and have a lot of sex appeal.  Honey, I would never do topless or nudity unless it was for PLAYBOY.  And as you know, playboy pays their centerfolds at least $25,000......which of course is a BIG difference than $2,000.  And everyone knows once you do Playboy it really boosts your career.......because it's been around for a long, long time so in these times......you can still be respected posing for Playboy because it's considered tasteful than Hustler (per say).  I mean just the title on your resume alone would get you somewhere!

But other than that, I would stick to your guns and don't do topless for some rinky-dink company or photographer cause you never know where your pictures might end up.  I just wouldn't trust anything without a contract.  And if for some reason you're trying to maybe be an actress.....then DEFINETLY not a good move for an acting career.

you don't need to do any nudity to further your career, you looks and photos will get you there.

May 23 05 12:11 am Link

Model

Alicia Mapp

May 23 05 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Alicia try taping a quarter to the arm... smile

May 23 05 12:56 am Link