Forums > General Industry > Frequency you check your email?

Photographer

Visual Edge

Fenton, Michigan, US

Since many of us spend a far amount of time online, often here on MM I am surious as to how often everyone checks their email both  here and other accounts you may have.

I may be a bit excessive but if someone emails me I try to get back to them asap. I check my email very frequent since it has become second only to the phone as a communication tool for my business.

I ask because some people seem to respond much sooner than others.

Anyone care to share their email habits?

May 19 05 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Since my day job involves running part of the Internet's infrastructure, I'm tethered to email. Private email systems like this one also send notifications (as you know), which I get on my hip, wireless, as they come in.

So when I'm not asleep, I get my email constantly.

It's a connected world!

May 19 05 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

My personal account currently has over 5,000 emails sitting in it. In a weekend, I get approx 800 so if on monday I have no time to go through them I don't so you can only imagine how quickly they add up. These 5,000 are from a couple of weeks. It's really overwhelming. Some of it's spam, news groups, newsletters, industry news as I also do web design and graphic print design. So I know, it's terrible and I really need to figure out a solution but this is too much for me to keep up with.

May 19 05 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Good question,  though I was dubious on the face of it.

I have many e-mail accounts and often do not allow access to my main accounts.  I check some right now all the time but 6 months ago,  I checked all less than once a week and often would not check in a month. 

But with having multiple accounts and sites I am signed up with I do not check them all with frequency.  I was chatting with a model on OMp and now here and she was aggrivated that i did not respond but was online.  She did not have my main address yet and so I had not check the other address.  Same name but different server.

Plus some things I can read but no time to respond as was the case last week.  I could only read and no time to answer the basic.  Only the super important were answered.  My computers also have been down and being repaired so my ability to respond has been low. 

I am here because I joined when I visited my parents place on the way back from a trip.  I uploaded there and responded.  Then I put together and e-machine to use until I get my main computers back.

I have had numerous friends requests and I have a hard time to even judge the others work let alone send a note or reciprocate in kind if I desire to do so.  It may be several more weeks until I can.

I am also unable to edit at all and I have let the models waiting for shots know this fact. (related to another topic)

Good topic for there are many assumptions about habits which I feel are false.

I had someone put out notices that I was looking to meet models near my parents house for future shoots.  The mail was sent out 12 days ago and I recieved several calls today responding to me for that had just checked their mail.

May 19 05 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

I'm an HR Manager for the Army so I'm constantly on my e-mail.  Then when I get home I'm on it all the time here cause 1: I have DSL so it's always on and 2: I live 25 miles from town...not much else to do.

Pretty sad I know but hey, keeps me occupied when I'm not leaping from perfectly good airplanes.

The Crazy Army Guy

May 19 05 09:05 pm Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Posted by Visual Edge: 
Since many of us spend a far amount of time online, often here on MM I am surious as to how often everyone checks their email both  here and other accounts you may have.

I may be a bit excessive but if someone emails me I try to get back to them asap. I check my email very frequent since it has become second only to the phone as a communication tool for my business.

I check every day on every account that I have.  I respond too when they are checked.  Unless it is a week end that I am out of town or a few days that I have done shoots, as soon as I get the chance I will then get back to check mail and send out responses...in other words...I do it daily or as soon as I am near to a computer.

McKenzie

May 19 05 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

I'm glad someone brought this up.. I check mine several times a day and have multiple accounts; multiple personal as well as business. It does suprise me that some don't check email with much regularity. Regular being at least every couple of days..
A prime example is an email I sent to a photographer on this site who has not responded, and as far as I can tell, not deleted my correspondence. I know they are on the site with some regularity as I see they post to a number of forum threads.. I wonder if they will be commenting on this topic. :-)
It's funny how some forget that communication is key; even if it's to say "piss off, you're bothering me"...

May 19 05 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

i check my email probably more than 20-40 times in a day.  if i don't check my email within 24 hours, i will have anywhere from 80 - 200 emails waiting for me that i have to deal with.  i don't have to worry about the weekends, because for some reason, i don't get much then.  maybe because everyone is out and about.

May 19 05 10:25 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Too often.

May 19 05 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Well I run about 50 sites and have 19 email accts...

So when i am in the office it is about every 5 minutes i get new email..

Then theirs the other 4 businesses...

Cell Phone
Pager
Laptop
Desktop
2 Way Radio
Instant Messenger

And a few others....

Lets just say people do not say they cannot get ahold of me....

Its just if I decide to pick up the phone etc...

May 19 05 10:29 pm Link

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

Posted by Visual Edge: 

Im terrible. I check my email on all of my accounts nonstop when Im online.  I like responding to people asap.  So.. figure.. for every hour Im online.. I check my mail about 15 times. heh   But,  the internet is the main way that I communicate with people, so thats something I really have to do.   Im really bad. lol

May 19 05 11:07 pm Link

Model

Wendi April

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Like some of the other people, I have multiple e-mail accounts from tons of modeling sites.  However, I check my main e-mail about 5-20 times a day.  I travel so much though that I find that they add up quickly, and then I have to spend hours sorting through them all!  As for the other sites, I check them whenever I happen to think about it and have the time.  I've been pretty good about checking this one also.  I try to be professional about responding back as soon as possible!

May 20 05 12:04 am Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Every minute on the mintue. I'm a total internet freak. So, I am always here at the computer.

May 20 05 12:26 am Link

Photographer

NH

Newport Beach, California, US

maybe 20 times a day for all my email accounts 

I need to get a life  lol

May 20 05 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Thom Bourgois

Tucson, Arizona, US

I do have multiple accounts and the spammers have managed to find some of them.  I check my mail two or three times per day, in part to eradicate the clogging spam, but, really, because I like to be on top of my correspondence.  Failure to respond to mail is one of my pet peeves.

....Thom

May 20 05 01:43 am Link

Model

Mz Nova

Portland, Oregon, US

i check it more than i need to...i get only a handful (if that) of emails a day..yeet i keept checing it..then i waste an hour fooling around on the web.... need to work on my self control...

May 20 05 02:10 am Link

Model

Tina

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I always try to check my email several times a day or once at the very least. I've made a habit of responding right away if I can - otherwise it gets overshadowed by tons of new messages!

May 20 05 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Adonis G

Miami, Arizona, US

It is always checking. I read email pretty much every 20 mins as I get an email every 15 or so.

May 20 05 07:29 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I check my mail constantly, however many messages I mull over for a while, and eventually come back with a response. I don't know why I'm that way...maybe I'm just retarded...

Also, I get tons of emails a day, and sometimes I will plain forget about someone. I usually end up one day going through all my emails for the last two weeks to find the people I forgot about. Then I reply with an apology...

I have started a new practice of deleting junk as soon as I see it. It gives me less to sift through.

May 20 05 07:46 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Posted by Fred Brown: 
My personal account currently has over 5,000 emails sitting in it. In a weekend, I get approx 800 so if on monday I have no time to go through them I don't so you can only imagine how quickly they add up. These 5,000 are from a couple of weeks. It's really overwhelming. Some of it's spam, news groups, newsletters, industry news as I also do web design and graphic print design. So I know, it's terrible and I really need to figure out a solution but this is too much for me to keep up with.

Fred, do you use Outlook? I do and I make rules that send emails that fit the criteria to different folders. One folder is for castings from one webiste, the other is for castings from someone else, etc. It helps clear things up.

May 20 05 07:48 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Posted by Chris Ambler: 
Since my day job involves running part of the Internet's infrastructure, I'm tethered to email. Private email systems like this one also send notifications (as you know), which I get on my hip, wireless, as they come in.

So when I'm not asleep, I get my email constantly.

It's a connected world!

What exactly do you do? I have heard you mention that you run the internet before...and I'm extremely curious...

May 20 05 07:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

Posted by Fred Brown: 

I used to have the same problem. Now i have multiple email addys that i give out depending on what its for. I have one for personal use, one for buisness use, and one where i give the email if its just for signing up on a site (they usually send you mail like crazy ex:ebay, travelocity) As far as how often i check my email, usually at least once a day, but it varies depending on how busy i am. I rarely go more than 2-3 days without checking it unless im on vacation.

May 20 05 07:52 pm Link

Model

KiraRhian

Orlando, Florida, US

I have to check my e-mail at least once during the day; however, it all depends on how near I am a computer.  When I'm at home or school I check it anywhere from 10-30 times a day and I check all of my e-mail accounts.

May 22 05 10:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

I check my email twice a day.  Once in the AM - once in the PM.  I check my VoiceMail(s) twice a day as well. Although I am logged into MM for what seems like all day, I just pop in and out randomly through the day...  I have multiple windows open on my computer so that I can keep up with multiple sites as well as my accounting work - I have near ten windows open each day and chat while I am posting online and doing the accounting. It makes the day go faster...

May 23 05 11:12 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

About every ten minutes or so.

May 23 05 11:56 am Link

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

I check it regularly every day.

May 23 05 12:00 pm Link

Model

Heather Sheree

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I check it every couple hours...

May 23 05 12:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

::::Reese sits in corner to moderate::::

May 23 05 12:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Well, it looks like everything is good here...

May 23 05 12:07 pm Link