Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Off Topic - Shouting out for our Veterans

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Early this morning I went out and did my regular ritual for Veterans Day.  Our local historic cemetary has several veterans buried there - From the Mexican War to the present day.  My own Veteran relatives are buried too far away - so, I pick a few graves here locally and place flags at them. 

Just my way of saying "Thanks" on this holiday.

On a personal Family note - (without actually using full names)

Thanks to those who are now gone -

My Grandpa Gene - WWII  Army Air Corp

My Grandpa Forney - WWII Navy Seabee

My G-Grandpa G.A. - WWI - US Army

and My GGG Grandpa - Jasper, Civil War - 1st Ark Infantry Union Army

We sometimes do stand on the shoulders of giants.  Please feel free to add your family veterans here as well - as a rememberance and a measure of respect.

VintageV

Nov 11 05 01:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I got an email today from one of my friends that know my son is a Marine and my Husband is retired Navy.  I didnt feel like doing a photo copy so I found the source with the photos.....It's nice to know that someone in Hollywood is helping our men and women in the service.  This is a few months old, odd I never heard about it until now.

Denzel is my hero. http://frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadAr … p?ID=18307

Nov 11 05 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

For those who'd like a taste of nostalgia on this day of remembering, here's a link to a photo-essay from several years ago - shot at the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum's (MAAM) WWII Air Show in Reading, PA.

The WWII Air Show is an annual event and somewhat beyond being merely impressive. The museum is located at the Reading Airport. If you're in the neighborhood I think you'll find it's one of the best little museums around and the airshow will give you one of the famous "You Are There" experiences.

Remembering My Father's War
http://members.cox.net/joekoz451/airshow/index.htm

Nov 11 05 01:55 pm Link

Model

Zab

Ellenton, Florida, US

Mary wrote:
Denzel is my hero. http://frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadAr … p?ID=18307

Funny how the news specifically didn't report on this huh?
I remember seeing it online when it first came out and was happy to see someone doing some good from Hollywood too. My dad went out and rented a lot of his movies after seeing this story *LOL*

Nov 11 05 04:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

this is the first I have heard it and I read the paper every single day, cover to cover....I also spend a good amount of time on the net and didn't see it. Not suprised one bit now that I think about it sad   if he had been out protesting it would have made the front page.

Nov 11 05 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Eddy Torigoe

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Shout out to myself :-) Panama 1989, Saudi Arabia/Kuwait/Iraq 1990-1991. 82nd Airborne. Hooah!

Nov 11 05 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Paternal grandfather: U.S.Army Infantry, European Theatre, WWII.  He never talked about it.

Myself:  U.S.M.C., 1972-1982.

-Don

Nov 11 05 10:15 pm Link

Model

Danica Lee

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

My stepdad was in the airforce, but because he died in an 'accident' and not in combat he doesn't get recognised on memorial days sad

It suxorz. His name will never appear on the wall at the war memorial in Canberra, neither will the guy that died with him.

I get particularly emotional on military memorial days now. Loss mixed in with a dash of anger over the recognition thing.

Nov 11 05 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Nytevision wrote:
My stepdad was in the airforce, but because he died in an 'accident' and not in combat he doesn't get recognised on memorial days sad

Up here it's Veterans' Day, so death isn't a requirement for recognition.  Come join us.

-Don

Nov 11 05 10:32 pm Link

Model

Danica Lee

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Hehe big_smile

Our 'veterans' day is in April. They have a big march and all that jazz. Though we just lost our last WWI veteran who was actually in combat. Mostly now the parade is made up of children/grand children of those that have passed on, marching in their honor.

Nov 11 05 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Beeson

Birmingham, Alabama, US

To all my fellow vets out there BIG THANK YOU!

Fred Beeson
ENFN USN 1990-1994

https://www.modellocate.com/memberdata/939/photos/12432.jpg

Nov 11 05 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

To my Dad. Navy WWII. 78 years old and still giving me hell smile Yep pops, you WERE correct about everything wink

Nov 11 05 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

My dad - test pilot RCAF '42-'50

Me - USN, USS Chicago (CG-11) '75-'77

Nov 11 05 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

SensualThemes

Swoyersville, Pennsylvania, US

I don't have any vets in family who were heroes...but I guess all vets are.

Great respect and thanks to all those who served, and are serving.  My little contribution to the effort is developing Pinups4 fundraising project to support Soldiers Angels - a group that helps currently deployed soldiers and their families.

I wish we could do more, and hope no more of our current heroes need to be posthumously recongnized. 

Prayers for all.

Nov 11 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Thanks for the replies - There are so many out there that have been touched and their lives shaped by their service - both for the good and the bad.

I do find it sad that some vets families feel excluded by any vision that their deaths in the service - while not in combat - don't seemingly count.  I for one want to always honor the service - and the losses - no matter the cause.

One of my Grandfather's served in the recapture of Attu Island - His experiences were apparently nightmarish and he almost never talked about them. 

But, he always would come back around and talk about walking the decks of the distroyed fleet at Pearl Harbor.  (many sunk in fairly shallow water and I think one was beached before it could sink) This was before they salvaged most of them - and before they cut the superstructure off of the Arizona.

Through his memories - I walked on the shattered hulk that was the Arizona and  I heard the pain still in his voice - almost 40 years later. 

RIP

Nov 11 05 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

If you aren't one...thank one.

If you are one...thank you!

Nov 11 05 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

p51

Olympia, Washington, US

Joe Kozlowski wrote:
For those who'd like a taste of nostalgia on this day of remembering, here's a link to a photo-essay from several years ago - shot at the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum's (MAAM) WWII Air Show in Reading, PA.

The WWII Air Show is an annual event and somewhat beyond being merely impressive. The museum is located at the Reading Airport. If you're in the neighborhood I think you'll find it's one of the best little museums around and the airshow will give you one of the famous "You Are There" experiences.

Remembering My Father's War
http://members.cox.net/joekoz451/airshow/index.htm

I like this. I have been to Reading in the past, back when it wasn't as big as it is now...
I grew up doing civil war re-enacting and do WW2 stuff these days. I even have my own 1944 Willys MB Army Jeep that I drive in parades. No parades today, the weather sucked.
There's a strong military presence in my family. It's no tradition, we usually do a few years and get out, but usually answer the call in times of need. Dad was in the USAF in the 1950s, my brother is a USAF LtCol, and I was an Army Captain on active duty when I had to get out in 2001 from chorinc leg problems. There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss is terribly.

Nov 11 05 11:28 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

brother-in-law - Gulf War v1.0 - US Army - West Point Class of 73

nephew - USMC - dishonorable discharge. Oops.

1st cousin - USUF - Gulf War I. He just liked to blow things up.

father - Korean War - US Army. He was in it for the GI bill. Never actually fought.

great-uncle - WWII - US Navy. He volunteered to avoid being drafted by the army.

maternal grandfather - WWI - Central Powers Artillary. Iron Cross recipient.

Nov 12 05 02:56 am Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Father:- 32yr retiree; Huey & Blackhawk Crew Chief for Medical Air Ambulance; Gulf War I

Uncle: US Navy

Cousin: 89 - Present; CW2; Arabic Linguist; Gulf War I

Myself: 90 - Present; Airborne Infantry turned Admin; Short tour in Saudi Arabia after Gulf War I

Nov 12 05 03:02 am Link