Forums > Photography Talk > How often do you use a tripod/monopod?

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

MakeupIsArt wrote:

Woah , where the hell did you come from Brian!?!? Hey there buddy. I got one of your pics in my port. ( Not the actual pic but the tear of Dawn in FHM from the pic you took in NC:) haha. Hope you have been well. I see you've been busy!

Ok, now back to regularly scheduled programming.

Ohhh Man, Wrong Dawn. But got me to look wink

Nov 17 05 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Bruce Caines wrote:
my assistants have been complaining about me gaffer taping my 4x5 to their heads so i use a tripod more now than before. besides, i didn't like all that lateral blur i was getting anyway...

lol
they probably didn't like the tape tugging on their hair, 'specially when you pulled out or pushed in the film holders
lol

Nov 17 05 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Tried it once, hated it, no thank you.
I just love the feel of that steel and plastic in my hands, makes me feel alive.

Nov 17 05 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Rick Edwards wrote:

lol
they probably didn't like the tape tugging on their hair, 'specially when you pulled out or pushed in the film holders
lol

yeah, there was a lot of whining about that too.  jeeze, some assistants can be such babies.

Nov 18 05 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

FotoArcade

San Diego, California, US

"A man's gotta know his limitations..."
so I use a monopod for anything that isn't an extreme angle. for those into details, it's a light one, a Manfrotto 676B digi with a quick-release 484RC2 ballhead. Not too expensive or heavy and it gives me the best balance of mobility and stability.

Nov 25 05 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

Now that I have reached 63 I find a monopod and a tripod very useful. Strange, when I was 21 I never needed any of these.

Nov 25 05 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Name removed

Lake Mary, Florida, US

I've never used one in studio shots.  Too restrictive.  Unless I want to be in the photo and the camera is on timer!  But I use a monopod a lot outdoors photographing fixed objects and landscapes, etc.
I spent a good amount of money on a tripod, thinking I'd be using one farily often.  But it just sits in the closet.  The money I spent on the monopod (Manfrotto) was well worth it....

Nov 25 05 05:07 pm Link