Forums > General Industry > A question to :::::MODELS:::::

Photographer

Jing

New York, New York, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
more than 70% of the industry is NOT working for an agency, but working for yourself.  there are more online models than there are real world models.  alot of online models make plenty of money and are models in the real world as well.

so the question is, what exactly is the real world, if the majority of models are online?

I really question the "there are more online models than real world models" line
The only way I think this could be true is because when you go to an agency, and they don't think you have what it takes to be a model, they'll tell you, whereas on the internet everyone is a model if they say they're a model

May 22 05 02:01 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

jing,

I think you made some excellent points. Something I think about often is this....a model may get represented by a good decent agency, but if that agency isn't dealing with revlon as a client, well, you're not going to be submitted as a potential model for revlon. Am I right? Wrong?

May 22 05 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

Posted by Angel Tara: 
jing,

I think you made some excellent points. Something I think about often is this....a model may get represented by a good decent agency, but if that agency isn't dealing with revlon as a client, well, you're not going to be submitted as a potential model for revlon. Am I right? Wrong?

yep, i think between jing and doug, they cleared a lot for me anyway...

that's all i needed, was clarification...i wasn't trying to argue anybody else's points as much as i was offering my own personal experiences...

and between joseph(visual mindscapes), dan and all the models who posted, at least for me, they all offered some valuable resources and info. based on THEIR own experiences...

pretty informative thread guys(and gals)...thanks...chapa

May 22 05 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Aaron_H: 
You can name all the exceptions you like, and there are several, but that's what they are, exceptions. It can be done, but it's rare, and it's already rare to make it as a fashion model for anyone.

But that was my whole point, there are exceptions.  Never say never.

May 23 05 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Leila: 
I'm the same. This is not my job. This is something I do because I enjoy art. If modeling was ever my main sorce of income, well then something must have gone terribly wrong in my life.

Or really right depending on how you look at it. =o) Smartass.

But I think in keeping with the topic... If there is money involved everyone should be held to the same exact standards. There is no difference. And as we all have heard at one point of another... "Time is money." A model is a model period end. And a photographer is a well a GWC no matter what he gets paid. LOL  But professionalism doesnt know rank. You either are or you aren't professional in your business.

May 25 05 07:20 pm Link