Forums > Photography Talk > Poor man's Studio lighting?

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

So am I the only bum using home depot clamp lights for studio lighting? What kind of rigged up tools do you use for your shoots? Here is a picture I took just now after 3 hours of getting pissed off with these things. haha I was laying down in my bed half alseep while I was taking these.

https://modelmayhem.com/pics/42903e8f3346b.jpg

https://modelmayhem.com/pics/42903be73346c.jpg

May 22 05 03:18 am Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Oh by the way that little model geek of mine was coming up with her own poses for the first time ever. That was a little weird for me to see being her father in all.

May 22 05 03:20 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

home depot lights work great, if you use them correctly.

May 22 05 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
home depot lights work great, if you use them correctly.

Would you say I did? I'm a pretty hard critic on my own work so I want to hear what other people think.

May 22 05 04:21 am Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

You can get by with work lamps just take off the safety grill from the front and be careful because they get very hot.

Old school ghetto lighting, clamp lights with paper reflectors taped on.

May 22 05 05:16 am Link

Photographer

ClassicHorror

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

A good,cheap (possibly free) source of reflectors is a TV shop.
When those old rear projection big screens are ready for the landfill, talk the TV guy into a couple of the rear mirrors.
Some are actually glass, but the one I have is foam covered with foil. Huge and only weighs in at a coupla pounds.

May 22 05 05:42 am Link

Photographer

Kat Squibb

Lebanon, Pennsylvania, US

I use a reallt cheap Smith and Vector lighting it (costs about $200) and also some clamp lights from home depot for fill. I shoot mostly outdoors but when I do do indoors work, I use them, some homemade reflectors and softboxes, and I have made my own backdrop stand that works wonderfully.  One day I'll be able to afford the good stuff but for now these all work.  Need any advice on how to make some of these things, message me and I'll let you know how. I think you did a good job with the lights though, if you don't want that orange hue, buy UV light bulbs, used for plants. 

May 22 05 07:35 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

A window is also very nice...

May 22 05 08:14 am Link

Photographer

EJM Art

La Crosse, Wisconsin, US

A great studio lighting package for a great price is
the JTL Basic Flash Kit. It cost $399; but you get
a lot for that price! Plus, it's portable!
I got mine at www.porters.com a few years ago
and I still use it for all of my work!
--Eric

May 22 05 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Jack Dawes

Asheville, North Carolina, US

My lighting rig is based off one of the $50 halogen worklight setups Home Depot sells. I made some brackets to mount umbrellas to the stands and have seperated one of the 500 watt x 2 kits into two separate 500 watt lights. Typically I use one of the 500 watt x 2 sets for fill using a 60' white umbrella, use one of the 500 watt lights with a silver umbrella for key, and sometimes use the other 500 watt light as a hair light.

The biggest caveat of course is that as with any continuous lighting setup you're generating a lot of heat, and it is a genuine fire and burn hazard. The other caveat is that the stands they give you aren't tall enough for standing full-body shots.

May 22 05 11:59 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Another alternative, especially for portrait and beauty shots, is the "Home Depot Kinoflo." A Kinoflo is a multi-thousand-dollar lighting setup made of special fluorescent bulbs. You can replicate it with about $150.00 worth of stuff from Home Depot and a couple hours work.

Do a Google on the phrase to find plans. In summary, you take four 48inch shoplight fluorescent fixtures, attach them to a 4'x4' (actually it'll probably be more like 4'x4'8" by the time you overlap the lights) piece of plywood with the center cut out. Put GE Chroma50's or other good 5000K tubes in the fixture - that's most of the money, 8 Chroma50's will run you about a hundred bucks - and shoot through the middle. Voila, instant shadowless, color-balanced light. Look at the covers of magazines with beauty shots: any time you see a rectangular catchlight in the model's eye, it was shot with a setup just like this.

M

M

May 22 05 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

FYH Photo

Santa Clara, California, US

Posted by StMarc: 
Another alternative, especially for portrait and beauty shots, is the "Home Depot Kinoflo." A Kinoflo is a multi-thousand-dollar lighting setup made of special fluorescent bulbs. You can replicate it with about $150.00 worth of stuff from Home Depot and a couple hours work.

Well I've used Kino flos in movie work primarily because they are (1) daylight color balanced and (2) flicker Free (which is important if you're using a movie camera with a 24 fps shutter.    That's why they're so expensive.  Also they are lightweight and easy to move around (one of the benefits of a professional rig that's made out of aluminum and custom plastic parts).  I like the idea of a homemade flourescent box but they don't put out much light compared to a bank of strobes or 1K tungsten hotlights. 

Also it's more possible now due to DIGITAL camera where you can white balance to that AWFUL green hue of storebought flourescent lights.  I agree with using the color balanced Chroma lights, but to a real penny pincher they can balance to the cheapo green lights, if they make sure it doesn't clash with any other lighting sources (i.e. rim lights, accent lights, etc.)

I still use film for the most part and I wouldn't use it (unless I wanted to screw around with magenta tinted correction filters).

Oh, and my lighting rig?  All home built.  Sorry wink  That's why I don't show other photographers my lighting rig, don't want them laughing.  wink   regards.

https://www.fyhglamphoto.com/IEFYHPORTO-03928/04.jpg

May 22 05 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by F.Y. Hamada: 
Oh, and my lighting rig?  All home built.  Sorry wink  That's why I don't show other photographers my lighting rig, don't want them laughing.  wink   regards.

You have just become my hero.

I honestly think you have some of the best lighting of any photographer I've seen on Model Mayhem. Now, knowing it was all home-built stuff, makes me admire your work all the more. Bravo.

You are an inspiration, good sir.

May 22 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

AG Photo

Easton, Pennsylvania, US

Just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread thus far...and give it a bump at the same time!

Hope more people contribute...this is excellent information!

May 22 05 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Posted by Matthew Grogan: 
Just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread thus far...and give it a bump at the same time!

You beat me to the thank you! But yeah I personaly would love it if some of you would post a picture of some of your home grown lighting tools and share with us how you made them. I don't know about everyone else but even if I had top $ lighting equipment I would still be over here making stuff just because it gives a different look.

May 22 05 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

I'm not that big on the home grown stuff but here's one small project I did recently:

2 yards of ripstop nylon from dazian.com.
Few dolars worth of PVC (sprinkler) pipe from Home Depot
Fusible tape, elastic, needle and thread.

Cut the nylon to size, fold the edges over make a hem and fix them with the fusible tape (it's a heat activated tape, put it between to layers and iron it and they stick, faster than sewing unless you have a sewing machine).  Sew the elastic on to the corners.  Make a frame out of the PVC.

There you have it, a 6'x4' diffusion panel for about 25 bucks.  All the ones I've seen were at least 100 bucks.  You can experiment with different fabrics from Dazian, silks, different reflectors etc.  Some cost more than others.

May 22 05 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Lesley Brown

Marfa, Texas, US

Posted by Matthew Grogan: 

yes, me too!  i am taking notes smile

May 22 05 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

FYH Photo

Santa Clara, California, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

Posted by F.Y. Hamada: 

You have just become my hero.

I honestly think you have some of the best lighting of any photographer I've seen on Model Mayhem. Now, knowing it was all home-built stuff, makes me admire your work all the more. Bravo.

You are an inspiration, good sir.

Gee thanks (beaming)  Now the brown paper bag with the cash is in the slot behind the dumpster.....

Actually I think it has cost me work.  Some clients WANT to see hot stuff expensive lighting rigs.  That's how they 'determine' whether or not a photographer is 'pro' enough for them. 

In the past I've been ridiculed publicly by photographers (none here on MM though) who boasted of "their" twenty thousand dollar lighting set up. (Don't worry, I don't care what they think)  But I do tend to keep my mouth shut around the clients and hope that the clients aren't annoyed with custom home built stuff.  Something to think about.

https://www.fyhglamphoto.com/IEFYHPORTO-03928/12a.jpg

Krys shot with (gasp) home built lighting equipment on a set I built myself smile

May 22 05 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by F.Y. Hamada: 
Actually I think it has cost me work.  Some clients WANT to see hot stuff expensive lighting rigs.  That's how they 'determine' whether or not a photographer is 'pro' enough for them.

The sad truth is that many middle-management corporate folks have that attitude. They are clueless, mindless nitwits but they are the ones who make those decisions. Most VPs and CEOs I've dealt with are sharp, intelligent folks who "get it" and understand things. Most "Executive Directors of Horsecrap" are total idiots. And I guarantee that if they have a choice between hiring you and hiring the guy with the $20,000 lighting setup, and you bid the same amount of money, and your work was slightly better than his ... HE would get the job. Because he "looks the part" a lot more.

Sad but true.

I have seen that happen MANY times in business where I have worked, in other friends doing video production and cinematography - you name it. In fact, sadly I have a friend with a lot of "impressive" video equipment who admitted to me that he mainly bought it because it impresses clients. He was like, "You know, my work that I did with my $2000 video camera was just as good. Everything on my demo-reel that got me this gig was done with that. But when you shoot a corporate video for McDonalds, they want to see the pro gear. So I had to buy all this stuff."

May 22 05 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Personally I am ALWAYS interested in seeing the creative lighting solutions people come up with. Pretty much anyone can go out and buy studio lights. But creating a set up is what takes ingenuity.

May 22 05 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
Personally I am ALWAYS interested in seeing the creative lighting solutions people come up with. Pretty much anyone can go out and buy studio lights. But creating a set up is what takes ingenuity.

It also shows that the photographer has a firm understanding of lighting to be able to build something that performs as well as a product that they would have to spend twice as much than it took you to build it or more. I personally would hire the guy the built his equipment just because it shows drive and skill. But personally if someone likes my work but doesn't hire me cause they don't like that I built my equipment then Fuck them. I don't want to work for some asshole that can't see that it make no difference to the people looking at the pictures. And if it did they would have allot more respect for the picture because I built my equipment. Maybe I'm just a stubborn asshole but if it takes for me to spend $20,000 on lighting just to get a job then I'll be in the employment line. I do this for the art anyway and if I get paid for it, great and if I don't I'm still happy cause I was able to create something that I enjoyed. lol George Lucas said it the best, "I don't care what the critics think I didn't make this movie for them or the money, I made it for me."

May 22 05 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

Posted by F.Y. Hamada: 

The sad truth is that many middle-management corporate folks have that attitude. They are clueless, mindless nitwits but they are the ones who make those decisions. Most VPs and CEOs I've dealt with are sharp, intelligent folks who "get it" and understand things. Most "Executive Directors of Horsecrap" are total idiots. And I guarantee that if they have a choice between hiring you and hiring the guy with the $20,000 lighting setup, and you bid the same amount of money, and your work was slightly better than his ... HE would get the job. Because he "looks the part" a lot more.

Sad but true.

I have seen that happen MANY times in business where I have worked, in other friends doing video production and cinematography - you name it. In fact, sadly I have a friend with a lot of "impressive" video equipment who admitted to me that he mainly bought it because it impresses clients. He was like, "You know, my work that I did with my $2000 video camera was just as good. Everything on my demo-reel that got me this gig was done with that. But when you shoot a corporate video for McDonalds, they want to see the pro gear. So I had to buy all this stuff."

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got for wedding work was a teacher of mine who said buy an L-bracket. He said it won't make a big differance in shooting but that it looks so impressive the clients will think you are a real pro,

Star

May 23 05 12:42 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Star: 
One of the best pieces of advice I ever got for wedding work was a teacher of mine who said buy an L-bracket. He said it won't make a big differance in shooting but that it looks so impressive the clients will think you are a real pro,

LOL

Ironically, I just bought my first flash bracket on Friday! It's a folding one and it's cheap and crappy and kinda flimsy. But, man, when I put my huge flash on it and have a PC wire running to my Rebel, yeah, it looks like I'm the top-notch-shite to those who don't know any better.

May 23 05 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Nobody has mentioned using "auto shades" as reflectors. They are cheap, light and seem to work well.

Mike

May 23 05 09:46 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Mike Cummings: 
Nobody has mentioned using "auto shades" as reflectors. They are cheap, light and seem to work well.

Great tip. I was thinking of that recently myself. Never tried it.

Some cardboard wrapped in aluminum foil is good too for bright, crazy reflections.

Or posterboard can work too if you need a white reflector.

May 23 05 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Saryn Angel

I use shop lights for my shoots all the time.  My style is more for hard shadows and such, so they work great for me.

I actually like the yellow color that I get from mine - it warms up my models and adds a bit of vibrancy to my images.  Though this definately does not work with all skin tones.

Another suggestion for a reflector - space blankets.  They are cheap and can be cut easily to any size/shape you want, and mounted to pretty mucha anything with spray adhesive. 

Saryn

MM #7374

May 23 05 10:07 am Link

Photographer

HDellinger

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've made a softbox out of a cardboard box with aluminum foil taped inside.  You bounce your flash into there and you get a really nice soft light back.

May 23 05 10:13 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

If you need a BIG reflector (like for full length shots) if you go to Home Depot you can find white styrofoam insulation in 4x8 sheets for about $5.  It's kind of flimsy, but it will stand if you lean it on something.  Works pretty well.  It's also real easy to cut if you need a smaller reflector.

Also, take a sheet and cut it in half lengthwise, then stand the two pieces up like a "V" with the opening toward the model (you may need to use some tape).  Shine your light or strobe into the "V" and you'll get very soft light back out of it.  Kind of like a poor mans full length softbox.

I haven't tried this, but I would think you could take a sheet, cut a hole for your lens, then place the stuff between you and your model.  If you bounced your lights off the sheet you'd probably get the kino-flow effect some people like.  Might be fun to try.

May 23 05 10:24 am Link

Photographer

jimmyd

somewhere in this thread, it went from good tips for using homemade and/or less expensive equipment to a feeling that using "pro" and/or more expensive equipment represents some kind of elitism.  sorry. i don't buy that.

i shoot still and video cameras for a living. if a job calls for using a Hi-Def camera and that camera costs in the neighborhood of $100,000 (and rents for $1000/day), a $2000 miniDV camera or a $5000 mini HD camera is not going to cut it. and it's not about impressing a client. THat's not to say their aren't gigs the $2k miniDV camera isn't perfect for using, but it's all a matter of the right tool for the job.

lighting equipment is much the same way. home depot lights can be used effectively with some imagination and skill. but they also represent some difficulties: they're difficult to control and modify and they produce a lot of heat. you can certainly get creative with home-made light modifiers, but they'll sometimes be limiting in their applications: you'll need to work around those limitations and make concessions to those limitations.

I'm not an advocate for expensive gear when something less will do. i have a lot of gear and i've workd hard to afford it and, frankly, most of it was used gear when i bought it cuz i couldn't afford new. but there are many things i can do with my professionally manufactured lighting and grip equipment that makes life easier and gives me far greater capabilities.

May 23 05 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by F.Y. Hamada: 

Home built? WOW freaking awesome!!! I am a believer that it's not what one uses that makes the difference but how he/she uses it. You have amazing skills as lighting is key to everything photographically!

May 23 05 11:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

When one says tinfoil... would that be wrinkled up tin foil?  or smooth tinfoil... I am curious...

May 23 05 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Star

refelctors.... I got mine for $15 on ebay and that included shipping. I love grey market materials,

Star

May 23 05 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Posted by Reese: 
When one says tinfoil... would that be wrinkled up tin foil?  or smooth tinfoil... I am curious...

Try both you might like the effect of the wrinkled up look. We're talkin the cost of tinfoil here I would go crazy with it just to see if you stumble across and new look. If all else fails wrap the model in it and shoot her with some hard lighting. That should look really weird lol.

May 23 05 11:30 am Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Ok, now THIS is a good thread.  Please keep it going and have others post their homemade projects.  I'm new on the scene (7 months) and all of these are great ideas.  Definintely going to head out to Home Depot on the first and make a couple of purchases.

Thanks for all the good info.

The Crazy Army Guy

May 23 05 11:50 am Link

Photographer

CSI-PHOTO

Trenton, Michigan, US

Found an old home movie screen someone was throwing out. Use it as a large reflector. Works for me.

May 23 05 11:57 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Posted by Reese: 

Wrinkled from the chewing! 

May 23 05 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Jack Dawes

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Posted by jimmyd: 
lighting equipment is much the same way. home depot lights can be used effectively with some imagination and skill. but they also represent some difficulties: they're difficult to control and modify and they produce a lot of heat. you can certainly get creative with home-made light modifiers, but they'll sometimes be limiting in their applications: you'll need to work around those limitations and make concessions to those limitations.

I think there's also a big difference between getting up on your feet for a home studio and having a flexible rig that you can take on location, set up quickly and know will work every time. My Home Depot setup works well enough, but it has limitations in portability and any "accesories" (gel holders, etc.) have to be home built by me too. For a hot light setup, this setup's days are numbered. I will be replacing it will a Lowell setup that isn't too much more expensive but much more compact, much easier to setup/breakdown and has a better range of accessories to adapt to different situations quickly.

May 23 05 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Posted by CS-I-PHOTO: 
Found an old home movie screen someone was throwing out. Use it as a large reflector. Works for me.

Sweet I know where to get one and it never crossed my mind to use it. It even has a stand!

May 23 05 01:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Naomi

New York, New York, US

I am starting to do my own pics out of frustration with some of these photographers that won't let me go out of "the norm" (if someone asks me to do natural look tfp one more time..I am gonna loose it).
Anyway, I used a 3 way lamp...used different wattage on each one and kinda experimented with how they were set. I left the flash on my Cannon A80 (please no laughing) and put up overhead lighting.
It worked til I ran out of battery juice on my camera and couldn't find adaptor lol.
Any hints as to what I can use for gels and where to find seamless colorful backdrops cheaps?
This is scary I know, I have no clue and I am just gonna wing it.

May 23 05 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Naomi: 
I am starting to do my own pics ...

Good for you! You will be an awesome photographer. I worked with a makeup artist that knew exactly how he needed stuff to be lit and he really challenged my skills with his requests. He taught me alot about capturing detail and thanks to him, I am learning to do cosmectic type lighting.

May 23 05 04:41 pm Link