Forums > Photography Talk > Ever feel like a whore?

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I take photographs because I love it.  If someone offered me money to take the kind of photographs i wanted, that would be great.  If they offer me money to take photographs that don't interest me, they can sod off.  I do my day job happily, knowing that when I pick up my camera, whatever I [and the model] say goes.

Nov 21 05 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Do I feel like a whore sometimes?  Umm, yeah.  But when I go to the fridge and it's full, or when I walk into my place & flip the light switch and there's electricity, or perhaps when I pull into a gas station and fill my tank rather that squeezing a few spoonfulls in... well, it makes it all worth it.

I used to be a middle school teacher.  One day I decided I was going to quit and pursue photography.  I've never, ever regretted it and there were definitely benefits to teaching.  I still hold a day job (with a graphic design company) but it's much more related to photography than teaching 7th grade pre-Algebra or going back to get a masters in econ. 

So sure, sometimes I have to figuratively sell my (camera) body by doing some projects that I'm not overly excited about.  It happens.  But when I crack the fridge...

Nov 21 05 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

RobHowardStudios

Mount Pleasant, Michigan, US

fitpix wrote:
Can I make a living shooting fulltime? Yes. I just prefer to stick to the route I am now on.

David

Starting to sound better all the time...

Nov 21 05 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

AG Fashion Photography

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

I've been a photographer for 22 years, 18 of which were spent in Corporate America.  Best decision I ever made: going freelance and setting up my own studio.  Two years later I realized I didn't like studio photography (which is what I did for the corporations - with products instead of models).  The second best decision I ever made was selling the studio and equipment.  Do I still whore?  Occassionally, sure, it's nice in the bank.  I rent a studio and pump it out.  I guess it comes down to passion.  In college I had jobs at restaurants, a library, customer service, and they weren't fulfilling.  I even modeled part time for five years; it was during that time that I realized I didn't want someone else telling me what to do (as a model).  I wanted to be creative - I wanted to be the photographer!

We all have different reasons for wanting to be photographers.  Mine is creativity.  Do I get to be creative while doing "bread and butter" jobs?  No.  Those jobs allow me to do the creative projects I live for.

Also, I do not have children; I am no longer married.  If I had others to provide for I would probably have to do more "whoring" to provide for them.  Since it's only me, I have the freedom to pursue what makes me happy - creative photography.

Money isn't important to me.  Fame isn't the goal.  Creative expression is the mark I wish to leave.  It comes down to "what is important" and "what makes you happy"?  For me, it's photography, plain and simple.

Nov 21 05 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

If this is whoring, then give me the winners trophy.

Nov 22 05 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Old Ska Punk

Crivitz, Wisconsin, US

Whore? I think not! That is so classless.

I prefer COURTESAN.

You think I photograph bumper bolts and toilet flappers for art?

Nope. The clients have deep pockets, and us courtesans like fancy things.

Nov 22 05 11:06 am Link

Photographer

RobHowardStudios

Timm wrote:
Whore? I think not! That is so classless.

I prefer COURTESAN.

You think I photograph bumper bolts and toilet flappers for art?

Nope. The clients have deep pockets, and us courtesans like fancy things.

See... I went after the huge editorials and gigantic ad camapigns. I failed to lift my skirt for the good clients in my neck of the woods, looking only to do pretty art. I missed the marketing boat for the land of deep pockets. I went to Hollywood like all the other kids from the midwest. And... What happens when we look to the stars for our dreams?

I'M A WHORE!!!

I shot my last towel ad last week!

NOW... Wait until you see the art I can offord to create with my fat ass paycheck and time and passion for MY photoshoots.

It's all coming together...

Nov 22 05 11:46 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

I was born a whore.
Can I have a dollar?

Nov 22 05 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
I take photographs because I love it.  If someone offered me money to take the kind of photographs i wanted, that would be great.  If they offer me money to take photographs that don't interest me, they can sod off.  I do my day job happily, knowing that when I pick up my camera, whatever I [and the model] say goes.

I am 100% in agreement with this, although I will shoot photos of a model that she wants that may not interest me if I get something in return.  For example, I'm doing a 3 hour shoot in early December where I'm shooing 90 minutes of what the model wants to do, and then 90 minutes of what I want to do.  Everyone gets pictures, and full use of them and it costs me my time and her time.  smile  Works wonderfully.  big_smile

I will occasionally take on commissions for certain scenes, but so far these have been few and far between...

Nov 22 05 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

RobHowardStudios wrote:
I'm finding that I am doing a lot of work that I would not do if I didn't quit my day job. I got into fashion because I love fashion and I love photography. Lately It seems that all of my work is a huge compromise. It is becoming a circus. Most of my time is spent pleasing clients I never wanted in the first place.

I'm finding that the areas I am making money are the kind of work that I would not choose to do ...

... Is there a balance between shooting for art and for a living?

Did anyone go back to their day job and not regret it?

I hated shooting for other people, particularly ADs. 

The only thing that paid the bills was doing stuff I didn't like.  Otherwise, why would anyone pay me?

I couldn't find a balance.  Whenever I was shooting it was for money and I couldn't find the joy in it at all anymore.  I didn't even test.

So I quit, went back to engineering again (this must have been around '94), and haven't regretted for a second that decision.

Didn't I tell you all this at your place?

-Don

Nov 22 05 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Lake Forest, California, US

I've been thinking about this for a while and want to share why I shoot for a living. I spent 14 years working a job I didn't like but that paid well, just like many of the people here.

I had always been into photography and actually started selling images about ten years ago. Mostly Rock Climbing and Mtn Biking to magazines. At the time, that was all I was interested in shooting, make a little money, pay for some trips.

Then I started looking around at the beautiful places I was at and started shooting landscapes to record and show others the wonders that are all around us. This ended up resulting in the sale of fine art prints.

I realized after awhile that life is too short to spend it doing something you don't enjoy so I made the leap and went to work as a full-time photojournalist. For four years I covered ribbon cuttings, grip and grins, award ceremonies, combat, hard news, sports, you name it.

And during that time I came to realize something. Everytime you squeeze that shutter, you capture a moment in time that will never reoccur.

I recorded the war in Iraq. The combat, the people, the faces of the children. These images are now a part of history.

Now I work for myself, freelancing. And I will shoot just about anything.

I never thought I would want to do portraits, but now I do because I realize that in a hundred years the shot I took of someone may be looked at by a great grandchild who wants to see what their ancesters looked like. Or in the case of a soldier I shot in Iraq that ended up being the last look his family had of him.

I never thought I would want to shoot weddings until recently when I thought about the images that were the most important to people. I know that when people run out of their home when it's on fire or being flooded, they're not going to grab the fine art print on the wall, but they will grab those family photos. Those are their memories, their history.

Photographers record history. No one reads old news stories but they do look at old news photos.

My point is this...not all "pros" are in it for the money. I don't think I'll ever come close to what I was making before and I don't care. I like the challenge of something new everyday, the wild and crazy things you get to do and then show to others.

If you don't like what you're shooting, work on personal projects. I've got 3-4 always in the works.

So do I feel like a whore? Sure, but I'm sure some prostitutes actually like sex also.

Eric Foltz

Nov 22 05 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

tyat

Miami, Florida, US

I was very fortunate..

My degree is in a pretty low paying field. Actually, make that a barely-over-poverty-line kind of pay. I chose it because I loved it, strongly believed in it, and did not care about ever being rich. I was barely making enough to pay basic living expenses, but I loved my job dearly. Photography had been my play time up until then. Though, I could have just taken a long vacation to cure the last burn-out, an opportunity presented itself at the right time.

Now I get to do what I used to do for fun and get paid double what I made before. Life couldn't be better. I volunteer when I can at the old job, and it feels like I'm on a permanant vacation. Plus I have so much more time to shoot fun stuff for myself and more money for toys. It's all play and no work, really! I don't make tons, but compared to the old job, I feel pretty loaded smile And it will only go up from here.

*Edit to add*

Like Eric, I have grown to appreciate more types of photography than I thought I ever would. I enjoy doing editorial portraits and absolutely love shooting food, which was quite surprising.

The only time I ever felt like a whore was when I was way over directed. Hope that doesn't happen again anytime soon. I felt like a shutter pushing, light setting, trained monkey whore, to be a little more specific.

Nov 23 05 04:26 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

RobHowardStudios wrote:

DAMMIT!!!

My last one paid so much better with such better benefits. WHAT WAS I THINKING??!!?!?

Careful what you ask for gang. You just might get it.

I can do the 10% I love and still work with my magazine AND have my full time art job. I thought that by doing photography work, I would be helping to get closer to my goals with photography. The truth is that I would do much better focusing my energy and putting it out to the right places. I would have A LOT more money to buy gear and such. Each shoot would be back to teh ART that I love. I would have much more time and energy to devote to each shoot.

GRRRrrr!!!!

Good Monday folks!

Nothing ruins a good passion like trying to make money at it.

Nov 23 05 09:45 am Link

Photographer

RobHowardStudios

Eric Foltz wrote:
If you don't like what you're shooting, work on personal projects. I've got 3-4 always in the works.

So do I feel like a whore? Sure, but I'm sure some prostitutes actually like sex also.

Eric Foltz

Everything in your post made me think of my photography like I do about making love. The 3-4 personal projects I have going at a time are those priceless moments to be captured. I deeply love it, and miss it when it's been a while.

I'm not going to get paid to get a great stylist, hair, makeup, model, and cool editorial idea laid down no matter how good it is. I'll make some kick ass art... but how much does it pay?

Today I will shoot my son's teachers wedding. I can not charge her for it as she has done so much for my son's growth. I will approach it with all of my skill and the knowing that it will be seen by her grandchildren. The wedding itself is at a beautiful lighthouse on a penninsula between San Diego bay and the ocean. The sun will set just after the ceremony. The anticipation is like getting ready for a date with a wonderful woman. The pictures that result will move peoples hearts.

My clients that pay the bills can't make me feel like that anywhere in the production process. And the pay is no where near the huge figures I see when making games. At least there my job is the art creation process. I spend most of my time looking for work or preparing to work with photography.

My new job will allow me to keep my choice photography clients, and have a few fun projects on the side. It will pay well. And, fortunately, it is a very creative job itself.

I feel like I am breaking up with my photography job. Like it was a really sexy girlfriend that just kept cheating on me.

I'm not done making love though. I'm just keeping it to being with the ones I love. I think my photography will grow from it.

Nov 23 05 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Prose Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

I would hazzard a guess that very few photographers make any real money taking only the types of photos that they want to take.

Even those that do, it would still have to get mundane after a while.  Consider the poor slob who shoots for Playboy or Penthouse - would you want to do that every day?  (I know - please Lord!)

Nov 23 05 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Fred Prose wrote:
I would hazzard a guess that very few photographers make any real money taking only the types of photos that they want to take.

Even those that do, it would still have to get mundane after a while.  Consider the poor slob who shoots for Playboy or Penthouse - would you want to do that every day?  (I know - please Lord!)

I know right.

I have heard people say that once you have been around that much beautiful nakedness you get over it.  I don't think I could ever get over naked hot chicks.  I get over it just long enough to click the shutter in my work.  I am not one of those photographers that denys seeing a hot naked model in the room while shooting.

Nov 23 05 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I have a "day job" that pays VERY well and I only do it to support my very expensive hobby.  (I work for two spine surgeons and one of them is an inventor and makes presentations of his new apparatus all over the world.)  In the spring and summer, I don't need the day job at all since I make alot with my weddings.  I have to actually turn down (paid) projects anymore because I am so busy with my day job, my previous commitments to publishers and ad campaigns and my new creative projects that I am doing.  So, during the winter months, I need the job to keep me doing all of my fun stuff.  I guess I don't know the answer, but I do know that if something isn't fun anymore, and you don't HAVE to do it, then you shouldn't.

Nov 23 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Beautiful Rocks

San Jose, California, US

The way that I see it, its all about your outlook on things. Are you an Artist or a businessman?
I do get a bit down everytime do basic headshots and simple portfolio shoots for my clients but then again that's not my passion. That stuff pays for my new lights, camera bodies, lenses and oh! I can't forget my Mercedes E55. I write my own schedule, spend time with my children, travel when I want. My God has blessed me with a talented gift.
    I enjoy photography but the world evolves around MONEY. I actually have made very strong contacts which have allowed me to ask for higher rates through the every day mundane jobs.
As professionals we have to find our niche and the right window off opportunity.  Keep your head up and remember Sluts don't get paid. Whores work for pimps, nickels and dimes. Call girls get the big bucks!

Nov 23 05 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

I'll answer the question once I see the green on the nightstand...  LOL

Nov 23 05 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

RobHowardStudios

Just for the record... I have seen more ass than a tiolet seat. I am WAAAAY over "hot chicks." At 36 I understand that no 25 year old on the planet can fuck me correctly. Nor does she have the intelect or experience to keep my interest for more than a few minutes. So I guess that motivation is out the window.

And yes... art before business any day.

I'll get my money by sticking to my niche. Computer animation. I'll shoot what I love for why I love it. ART!

I feel better already.

Thank you all for helping me in this post. I've faced some tough decisions this past week or so.

Rob

Nov 24 05 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Lake Forest, California, US

I hope that you're not implying that this thread was helpful. If so, it might be the first.

Eric Foltz

Nov 24 05 01:07 am Link

Photographer

RobHowardStudios

Eric Foltz wrote:
I hope that you're not implying that this thread was helpful. If so, it might be the first.

Eric Foltz

It's helping me. I've been hanging onto a dream.

Nov 24 05 11:57 am Link

Photographer

- null -

RobHowardStudios wrote:
Yes, I am very fortunate that I have good choices. I won't punch a timeclock or wear a nametag at the day job. It is very hard for me to see my dream (full time photographer) that I have fought so hard for as a reality. I'm finding that is it not as important to me as I thought. I've found that I love photography as an art more than a business. AND, that the business of it lacks the kind of profit and creativity that I assumed in my dream.

That paragraph proves you've already made your choice.

You are going to take the well-paying day job and only do photography as a hobby. You just want affirmation that your choice is the right one.

Nov 24 05 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

hbynoe

Cliffside Park, New Jersey, US

i am looking for a job but will return wheni find one to tell you
how disgusting it is to sell your ass like that smile

Nov 24 05 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

I am sure people make money at photogrpahy - but I can tell you I could not live in the place I do if photogrpahy was my only income.... I have been shooting for 3 years now and really have not made alot of money... and the money i have made is from the websites I do and not the photography....

All I know is all models like being paid and are asking more and more everytime i ask - and for that money they do less - and these days at least for anything in the sexy market you basically need to shoot nude models...or you make nothing..

I think the problem is everything is free and it is 100% marketing...

Its a tough issue - if I wanted to do photogrpahy I would need to move out of CA and look towared opening a small studio that does a local area that does not have 5000 photogrpahers already in it..

Or get joined up with a current full time pro as an assistant...

Nov 25 05 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

RobHowardStudios

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
That paragraph proves you've already made your choice.

You are going to take the well-paying day job and only do photography as a hobby. You just want affirmation that your choice is the right one.

It's good to hear about it from others. I had a great dream. Now, lets' cook up some art.

Thanks for the sounding board!

Rob

Nov 25 05 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

PREACH IT!  My day job is a childrens photographer.  If I didnt have to wake up at 4 am and not have paper work it would be cool and all.  I accually wanna start a tuner garadge and start a car mag.  Fashion is cool though, my gf is going to college for it next year down in Tampa.

Nov 26 05 02:02 am Link

Photographer

digital cowboy

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, US

I can't relate completely. Having a full time job (okay, so active duty is sometimes a little more full-time) and freelancing on the side allows me to be picky about who/what I work with. I've come across paid shoots and have declined based upon my personal tastes, though I wonder in a few months when I'm no longer wearing the uniform if my personal tastes will shift in order to 'pay the bills (tm)'.
    I think though, if you look at people in general, at least the ones that are honestly doing what they love; they live fairly poor and aren't doing it for the money.
-=Jeff=-

Nov 26 05 05:22 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

People work everyday to put food on the table, pay bills, raise kids, pay for things for the kids for christmas and so on and so forth.
Nobody wants to work at jobs they dont like but because they work the money is good they can do things they want to do, so they put up with it.

So your not doing "Exactly" what you wanted in the photography field but what your doing is paying the bills and allowing you to do the things you do want to do. It must be going well for you if people are coming back and asking you to more of it so one way you can think of it is you are expanding your experiences.

If you are missing more and more what your true craving in photography is then make yourself a kind of side project and do just that for the project. Alot yourself time to do it and make it the best project you ever did. When thats done then do another one.
Dont lose interest in your true passion that got you into this field but find time to still do it. Most people "Go with the flow" and exentualy hate what they are doing so much they switch career fields altogether and end up hating that career also because its not what they want to do either.
If you want to do something make it happen, nobody else will make it happen for you.

Nov 26 05 05:55 am Link