Forums > General Industry > Excellent advice for beginners to modeling industry...

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

I found this website that has some excellent tips on chosing portfolio pictures, posing, approaching agencies, etc.

http://www.joeedelman.com/model/modelin … akes.shtml

Hope you all get some use out of it, I thought it had some great information.

May 22 05 02:27 pm Link

Model

Richmond, California, US

Yeah, I'm trying to do that with my site...but go a bit further..

http://www.internetmodeling101.com

Check it out.

--Note to the negative idiots out there: I'm not promoting my book---but my site as an informative source for people that may need it. If anyone has any questions on modeling or any further resources, email me. I'd love to know!--

Thanks
Sun

May 24 05 06:00 am Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

That is definetly an interesting site, thanks veester.

May 24 05 09:27 am Link

Model

Richmond, California, US

--deleted---

May 25 05 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Internet modeling is a different animal than conventional modeling.
Internet modeling is the future, whether joe wants to admit it or not.
Serious companies are more and more turning to the web to get models for their promotions etc...

Now, will it become 100% internet based? Maybe, but do not hold your breath on it.
Agencies still have a purpose much like Unions do.

As for Joe, He is a staunch advocate of the old school.
However, he does have a point about Copyright issues.
Cut him a little slack in his tone, You are probably the 2 billionth Email this month :-)

May 25 05 08:02 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 
Internet modeling is a different animal than conventional modeling.
Internet modeling is the future, whether joe wants to admit it or not.
Serious companies are more and more turning to the web to get models for their promotions etc...

Now, will it become 100% internet based? Maybe, but do not hold your breath on it.
Agencies still have a purpose much like Unions do.

As for Joe, He is a staunch advocate of the old school.
However, he does have a point about Copyright issues.
Cut him a little slack in his tone, You are probably the 2 billionth Email this month :-)

the modeling industry has been the same for almost 100 years..clients go to the agencys to get established dependable models..agencys make sure all the I's are dotted ant the T's crossed..it s a proven way to do business..the only thing the internet is changing, is the way the clients communicate and interact with the agencys..the client need only pick out a model and write a check..

the internet will not change the modeling industry any time soon..no client is going to search the internet or online communites, to find models..its foolishness.

May 25 05 08:55 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

and FYI, the most accurate information on the modeling industry can be found here:

www.newmodels.com

May 25 05 08:58 am Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

Because of computers everything is changing at a very fast pace. Models, photographers, agents, MUA, etc, Everyone has had to come to the computer even the person who thinks that internet modeling is a joke, has to use the internet to get the word out.

Look at the way that everything is going and the pollution problems of today. Someday paper will not be used and we will have a tablet of some kind that we can view our favorite newspapers and magazines on for a price. Its simple and anyone who thinks that the digilzation of the industry is not going to happen is out of touch.

Long ago in the music industry if you said someday you would be able to download songs for .99cents from the Internet, you would have been laughed out the room.

Internet modeling is no more of a joke than Napster, web movies, web Doctors, etc.

If you want to buy a cow, make sure it made out of beef.

May 25 05 08:58 am Link

Model

Richmond, California, US

I love that new model site...cool. Thanks.

May 25 05 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Dan RI

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
and FYI, the most accurate information on the modeling industry can be found here:

www.newmodels.com

That site is great and simple to load and read.

May 25 05 09:20 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by !MDF: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
www.newmodels.com

That site is great and simple to load and read.

yes its simple , fast and theres no hidden agenda..while it's anonymous, it was produced by the owner of NYC's oldest model and talent agencys..he is uniquely qualified to give accurate advice on the commercial modeling industry.

May 25 05 09:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Hmm... I'll have to view that site... is it as good as they say?

May 25 05 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Posted by Reese: 
Hmm... I'll have to view that site... is it as good as they say?

Yes!

I have been promoting that site even before it was a site. Back when it was just a collection of articles on his agency website.

The reason it is so simple is so people on dial up wont have to wait for it load. It's the info that's important not flashy graphics.

Plain and simply the best info on the net.

May 25 05 09:39 am Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

O.k., I took a look at that site and it is well organized and very informative. I still ike that other site too (maybe becasue I am the one who posted it! Ha ! wink But seiously, I thinkboth have great information about the bare bones of modeling!

May 25 05 12:26 pm Link

Model

Richmond, California, US

You can say anything without negativity around here.

By the way, I'm NOT PROMOTING MY BOOK. The information on my site is free.

(good lord...why do I have to clarify myself?)

Sun

May 25 05 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

http://www.joeedelman.com/model/modeling/tenmistakes.shtml

All good except 5). I love seeing contact sheets (while they still exist wink - if there are 28 reasons not to hire you on one sheet I sure as hell want to know about it!

May 26 05 03:26 am Link