Forums > Photography Talk > models age

Photographer

M Soto

New York, New York, US

In a previos dicusion about the model's age some one saied that he does not shoot nudes with girls under 21. Is it legal to do nude shoots with models under 21 but older than 18? what are the laws on this aspect?

Nov 21 05 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Any type of shoot is legal for 18 and older. The photographers choice to wait until the model is 21 is just a personal choice.

Nov 21 05 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

David_Davis

Bangor, Maine, US

I would say first check your state's law on the subject for age.  Most states I imagine are 18, the member who doesn't shoot nudes until they are at least 21 is probably just playing it safe.  Also, might have something to do with a model's outlook might change between 18 and 21

Nov 21 05 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

M Soto wrote:
In a previos dicusion about the model's age some one saied that he does not shoot nudes with girls under 21. Is it legal to do nude shoots with models under 21 but older than 18? what are the laws on this aspect?

Actually it is perfectly 'legal' to shoot a model of the age of consent in whatever locality in whatever way you and her agree to.  Problems arise once you decide to start showing those photos.  Also...technically (please don't flame...it is a technicality and not one that I would personally use) you can shoot a model of any age in any state of dress or undress so long as the shoot isn't for the purposes of the sexual gratification of yourself or anyone viewing the photos, and that is the most strict law on the matter that I know of in the US.  Evidence of the legality of under the age of consent models and nudity are abundant in many 'art' photographers' bodies of work.

It is however always completely up to you and your sensibilities to shoot who *you* think is mature enough to be nude for the camera and be responsible about it.  It is also your duty as a photographer to handle the nude model with the appropriate respect and reverence both in the lens and in person.

Nov 21 05 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

Los Angeles, California, US

Even 21 seems a little young to me, if the intent is to be sure the model knows what she's doing.
Nudes, even implied, are not in every model's best interest. If it's inconsistent with the direction he/she'd (who am I kidding with the he/she stuff) like to see her career go, then of course she'd refuse to do nudes. However, I don't know if an 18 year old really knows how she'll feel about her career direction 2 or 3 years down the road. I personally didn't know one single thing about anything until I was 25, of course maybe that's just me.

(I'm assuming it's some moral judgement, since I can't think of a legal reason not to do nudes 18-20)

Nov 22 05 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

easyonthe eyes wrote:
Even 21 seems a little young to me, if the intent is to be sure the model knows what she's doing.
Nudes, even implied, are not in every model's best interest. If it's inconsistent with the direction he/she'd (who am I kidding with the he/she stuff) like to see her career go, then of course she'd refuse to do nudes. However, I don't know if an 18 year old really knows how she'll feel about her career direction 2 or 3 years down the road. I personally didn't know one single thing about anything until I was 25, of course maybe that's just me.

(I'm assuming it's some moral judgement, since I can't think of a legal reason not to do nudes 18-20)

Hell, I'm well over that age and still don't know squat.

Nov 22 05 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

raveneyes wrote:
Actually it is perfectly 'legal' to shoot a model of the age of consent in whatever locality in whatever way you and her agree to.  Problems arise once you decide to start showing those photos.  Also...technically (please don't flame...it is a technicality and not one that I would personally use) you can shoot a model of any age in any state of dress or undress so long as the shoot isn't for the purposes of the sexual gratification of yourself or anyone viewing the photos, and that is the most strict law on the matter that I know of in the US.  Evidence of the legality of under the age of consent models and nudity are abundant in many 'art' photographers' bodies of work.

It is however always completely up to you and your sensibilities to shoot who *you* think is mature enough to be nude for the camera and be responsible about it.  It is also your duty as a photographer to handle the nude model with the appropriate respect and reverence both in the lens and in person.

this has always been a big sticking point with the work of sally mann... her photographs of her children naked and playing in various stages of pre-adulthood have always been a big cause for controversy, even though, as far as i'm concerned, they're completely innocuous. i guess for most people, though, it's just not worth the potential controversy, potential legal action, potential that pedophiles could wank it to so something like that BECAUSE of how innocent it is...

Nov 23 05 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Logan Seh

Lansing, Michigan, US

My take on it is simple... reguardless of what age of consent is... I won't work with anyone in any state of undress that is under 18...  Plain an simply anyone under 18 cannot be bound by contract without guardian also signing, and even that can get funked up if they have better lawyer...

Nov 24 05 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Any type of shoot is legal for 18 and older. The photographers choice to wait until the model is 21 is just a personal choice.

alabama and penn are two states where state law says you have to be 21 to pose nude...

Nov 24 05 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Doug Swinskey wrote:
alabama and penn are two states where state law says you have to be 21 to pose nude...

Do you have the statute handy?  I only ask because I'm pretty sure it says something like in a manner simulating sex or for the sexual gratification of someone.

Nov 25 05 12:12 am Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

WRONG:

This varies STATE by STATE.  Nude shooting is legal in Georgia at 18.  But, it is 19 in ALAMBAMA and in at least two or 3 other states the legal age for this type of work is something above 18 but less than 21.

EVERYONE should check the laws in your state prior to shooting a nude that is under 21.

dave

Nov 25 05 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

wow, damn.

Nov 25 05 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Actually, the writers are correct that there are a few states where the age of consent for nude photography is between 18 and 21.

What is wierd is that you can sell magazines like Playboy in those states even though a model in the magazine is under the local age.  And for example, a model form Alabama could drive to Florida, shoot for Playboy and then they could sell the magazine in Alabama where the age is 19, but that is the way it is.

Pick up a copy of Playboy sometime and look at the age requirements to submit for some of their contests.  They list the age exceptions by state.

Nov 25 05 11:17 pm Link