Forums > General Industry > Do you ever wonder how many of us are perfect?

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

For those of us on OMP, you know that little section that asks for special informations (marking, piercings, etc). From what I've noticed, most models ignore it. Some will list their scars, etc and some will say flawless skin. With photoshop we can all have flawless skin (in a photo), but do you ever wonder when looking at photos, how much is photoshoped or how many of these young models are really just that perfect? I know I'm not perfect...

I've seen, while looking over a photogs shoulder, him make someone's booty bigger, thighs smaller/perfect, tummy shrunk.

Photographers, how often do you deal with someone who is drastically different from her pictures?

Photographers, what flaws do you consider minor and major?

May 22 05 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Angel Tara: 
Photographers, how often do you deal with someone who is drastically different from her pictures?

I adjust all of my images. None of my photos are untouched. Everything has color correction, contrast tweaked, and often, the models are adjusted too. Remove birthmarks. Tummy-tuck. Enlarge the breasts. Whatever.

You can see some Before/After retouching examples on my site if you look at "PHOTOGRAPHS" then sort them using the "Sort By Category" dropdown box and select "Retouching"

May 22 05 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

I have never shot with anyone that is perfect..... damn close yes but not perfect... I edit everything and most models expect it - All I know is I am not cancelling a shoot becasue of an acne outbreak.... and why when i ask to see photos I do not care if they are pro or web cam.. I know I can fix them I just care about the models look and attitude.

May 22 05 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I don't know what I could add other than to agree completely with Eric and Brent, above.

In short... Yup.

May 22 05 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

AG Photo

Easton, Pennsylvania, US

Cosmetic imperfection is like beauty...in the eye of the beholder. What someone finds interesting another may find repulsive.

No one is perfect to all (despite what they may think!), because we all have different ideals as far as perfection.

May 22 05 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

NH

Newport Beach, California, US

time to learn PS for me.

May 22 05 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Mills

Hermiston, Oregon, US

I've met several people who think they are perfect, but I've never met perfection.

May 22 05 07:41 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Angel Tara: 
Do you ever wonder how many of us are perfect?

I thought I was the only one?

I suppose I could have listed the 1/8 inch chicken pox scar on my OMP page, but I assumed that section was for major things like tattoos or piercings.  I do list my allergy to nickel, since I feel that is worth noting. I don't think the mole over my right nipple of the chicken pox scar need special attention.

May 22 05 07:59 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Theda, if all you've got to worry about is a mole and a chicken pox scar, thats about as close to perfection I have seen. I am jealous of your body smile

May 22 05 08:12 pm Link

Model

Lisa Fortier

Cocoa, Florida, US

Perfection is an overrated misconception.
I strongly dislike it when my images are photoshopped to death, it makes me somebody that I am not.  Flawless is something I am not and would never profess to be. Although it would certainly be nice.  HaHa 

May 22 05 08:23 pm Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Posted by Matthew Grogan: 
Cosmetic imperfection is like beauty...in the eye of the beholder. What someone finds interesting another may find repulsive.

No one is perfect to all (despite what they may think!), because we all have different ideals as far as perfection.

May 22 05 08:28 pm Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Posted by Lisa Fortier: 
Perfection is an overrated misconception.
I strongly dislike it when my images are photoshopped to death, it makes me somebody that I am not.  Flawless is something I am not and would never profess to be. Although it would certainly be nice.  HaHa   

May 22 05 08:29 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

I've heard photographers say to a friend of mine "your much bigger than you looked in your pictures." and then proceed to pull out the measuring tape...

"yup, your hips are 37, not 35"

May 22 05 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Angel Tara: 

I just hope that you look in real life like you do in your pictues... you look awsome to me and I hope that the question doesn't mean that you are really a cyber creation, and that you want to see if the world is ready for the revelation that your "perfectness" is just photoshopped...

May 22 05 08:41 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Well, I have other moles, but the boob mole is the most noticable. And I have break outs every so often. And I run into things at work, so I have bruises sometimes. And right now I have two nicks from shaving myself haphazardly. All of that is temporary stuff and coverable with make up.

I assume my other flaws are plainly visible in my photos.

I mean... I'm perfect!

May 22 05 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

i love to shoot my models the way they are...to me, perfection is a scar, a zit, a mole-you get the picture...and with the exception of heavy eye make up and lip stick/gloss, i actually discourage all other forms of make up...because i overexpose my photos, use bright flash/lighting, and/or use cross processsed slide film, i don't like the way base, cover up, blush and things like that turn out...

and i wish i knew how to use photoshop...i actually just learned how to resize pics...he ehehehe...

May 22 05 08:42 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Posted by Udo R Photography: 

Posted by Angel Tara: 

I just hope that you look in real life like you do in your pictues... you look awsome to me and I hope that the question doesn't mean that you are really a cyber creation, and that you want to see if the world is ready for the revelation that your "perfectness" is just photoshopped...

haha! no, I think I really look like my pictures, except the ones with the heavy makeup. I don't normally walk around with "smoky" eyes, lol. Actually I don't even know how to apply makeup because I very rarely wear it. cyber tummy tucks, liposuction, etc...nope. I had a photog make my eyes bigger, so I won't use the pictures. Skin retouching, yes.

May 22 05 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I will have to recheck but none of my images have PS on them much or at all.  I am not against the creative part but I still find it limiting.  I also like mistakes and surprises.

==
On the question of what was the worst?  Well coming from a guy who has been known for his scars,  my brother slashed me when he was 4 and I was 2 1/2 then malled in the face by a dog then bad acne and a broken nose or two,  I feel lucky.  Not to mention the fights and getting hit by a car.

I almost forgot my scoliosis(spelling) and the problems associated with it both pain and otherwise.  And attacked by a large group of youths who cut me almost to the major artery adn then my inner ear concussion that .... enough....

So I am not surprised but some things.

I have dated women with Minus chests.  One got implants to become a small A cup.  And those that well ... nevermind..

But one model from a major agency who went on to get two cover of ID magazine and others showed up with super bad acne.

I was fine but the makeup artist did NOT make her feel good,  plus the makeup artist needed a breath mint.  I cross-processed and over-exposed--the only option at that time that was cost effective.  Anyway,  I am glad that I shot her for we did good stuff even though she was not a fan of me nor I of her--too many cliqued posed but trendy cliques not old cliques.

But for me,  having worked as a lab manager for a two big ones and with the retouchers is those that over retouch every photo especially under the eyes.  This practice has been around before PS was so powerful but just cheaper now.

Then there was the model who showed up right after major dental work and her face was off kilter and her eyes were terrible.  Of course she blaimed the lighting but I shoot two models that day and I was offered an apoligy when the agency saw the other models pics a couple of months later.

I find it part of being professional on both ends,  do not try to be something you are not and stuff happens for all of us and do not hold it against them. 

But when it is obviously done to hide and not just a bad day.  Well then I am not a fan.

(I used to have a t-shirt when I was young, 

I am mechanically inclined,  I screw up everything)

(Though to another thread and model I know but have yet to meet,  I too was approched to model when I was young and sometimes called too ethnic but now would be perfect if I were young and ..... enough.  But the point is even then they could fix the major scars but still make you look natural.

What happened? 

What made the robot look sexy?

I do not want to ..... a robot?  Nor do I give a flying .... what she wears....

enough...

{{I just checked and the only photoshop done AT All on my portfolio is on the jewelry shot otherwise none at all on all the other photos. Just is,  that is all.}}

May 22 05 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Industrial Deco

Toledo, Ohio, US

If there is such a thing as a perfect person, please let me know >.

May 22 05 09:27 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

pssst.. this part perked my interest!!! just out of curiosity.. who makes bootys bigger?? haha
I'd love to have a big butt just once to see what i'd look like lmao j/k (well not really I even asked a phototag once, how to pose better so i get a bigger butt lmao)

lol the photographer is on this site now that I asked that tongue

this gave me a great laugh ty big_smile

May 22 05 09:41 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

There is no such thing as perfection.  People say that I have flawless skin (MUA and photographers) and they say that I have the perfect body...but I could list about 10 things that I hate about my body.  lol  I too like imperfection.  There is no such thing as perfect and there is no such thing as normal.  I like having my images photoshopped.  Especially for the coloration and a little liquify where needed.  smile

May 22 05 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

I think that photographers that Photoshop the hell out of models you'd be beaten and thrown into a river lol. Naw really I us the hell out of Photoshop but not to make the models look any better. I mean I can see if they had a bruise or something like that but I've seen pictures where the whole model has been worked out with PS. They don't look real. That's really not my flavor of photography. Models are artists too and by painting them and twisting them in PS you have taken that away from them. I know it's harder to be pure with your photos when working for print but again my stubborn nature comes out. Fuck them! Some of these models are 100% beautiful in an all natural picture and you should take that away. I've seen train wrecks for models look damn good in pictures that have never been touched in PS. Our "flaws" are what make us stand out from the rest. They also can make a picture turn from just another pretty girl modeling for a print add into a work of art that people will stop and admire.

May 22 05 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by AshleyDanielle: 

I'd love to have a big butt just once to see what i'd look like lmao j/k

this gave me a great laugh ty big_smile

Be careful what you wish for...

May 22 05 10:07 pm Link

Model

Sibyl Nin has retired

Brooklyn, New York, US

I been told I list too many flaws on my OMP  page...I'm sorta accident prone AND tomboyish so I have the battle scars to prove it. I have stress breakouts on my face alot..I'm making my dermatoglist rich! I just had a photogarpher make my ass like three times it's size..and i have a good ass to begin with...but he needed "a ghetto booty" as he called it..guess I was too waif like for his taste..oh well..

what I wnat to know is how you girls show up to the shoot..are you all
dressed up and set? I shwo up in tee shirt and jeans and baseball cap sippin' coffee..looking plain jane-ish and about 10 years younger...that's when i get asked for ID...

May 22 05 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

When I was thinner I would shoot in a Kimino or a lizard looking outfit with green feathers on the top which is better than most of the clothes I shoot.

Either that or dutch pajamas with big platform boots.

Oh,  you meant the models..

Nevermind

May 22 05 10:51 pm Link

Model

the model jo

There are few models who have no blemishes! I am not saying I have flawless skin, but I take very good care of my skin, and I only have a tiny scar in the upper portion of my forehead, near the hairline, in which can barely be seen. Now it is funny for a photographer to make someone's boobs bigger and such, I dont really agree with all the photoshopping that some photographers spend alot of time doing, UNLESS, it is for beneficial purposes, not artificial ones.

And yes, no one is perfect, but truly, a photographer would love to see what you look like and that you look somewhat the same in person...

May 22 05 11:23 pm Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think I am a noraml women, with little imperfections, My photos haven't been retoched, I get all the things women get breakouts, nicks, etc..... I do have a scar on my chest that i do not mention because it is almost the same color as my skin, I feel my imperfections are me in general. No one is perfect and I know damn well I am not, and I have never meet anyone who is, even though I have meet people who think they are, those people are really funny to me.......

May 22 05 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I try not to deal with models who have major scars, especially from having children, for it takes away from the quality of the shoot and limits it.

But the whole photoshop thing has gotten out of hand. I only want to add my logo, tweak the color and resize the image in photoshop. If I have to spend an hour on your image, touching it up, then I have failed that model.

May 23 05 05:16 am Link

Model

Alexandra Paris

Portland, Arkansas, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 
I try not to deal with models who have major scars, especially from having children, for it takes away from the quality of the shoot and limits it.

But the whole photoshop thing has gotten out of hand. I only want to add my logo, tweak the color and resize the image in photoshop. If I have to spend an hour on your image, touching it up, then I have failed that model.

But what if the model had no stretch marks after having a child?

Or are you talking about a c-section car?

May 23 05 06:06 am Link

Model

Sibyl Nin has retired

Brooklyn, New York, US

Posted by marksora: 
When I was thinner I would shoot in a Kimino or a lizard looking outfit with green feathers on the top which is better than most of the clothes I shoot.

Either that or dutch pajamas with big platform boots.

Oh,  you meant the models..

Nevermind

*Paris Hilton voice* "OMG, that's SO hawt!" at least you weren't naked !! that's a no no...at least while shooting

May 23 05 08:43 am Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

there is no such thing as perfection

May 23 05 08:48 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by sibyl: 
what I wnat to know is how you girls show up to the shoot..are you all dressed up and set? I shwo up in tee shirt and jeans and baseball cap sippin' coffee..looking plain jane-ish and about 10 years younger...that's when i get asked for ID...

I show up dressed down and sans make-up. I thought everyone did.

May 23 05 08:51 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Think your answer to sibyl and her question fit this post but I just wanted to let you know there is a separate post right now on that subject.

What makes a First impression.(the thread in general talk)
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=1836

As you were

May 23 05 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

I thought I wasn't perfect, but I was wrong...........

I've met a few models I thought their skin was flawless but none of then were even 18 years old.

May 23 05 09:02 am Link

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

I have learned to use Photoshop to correct some minor blemishes when the photographers didn't think they looked bad but I did but are forehead wrinkles considered a major flaw? I have a very expressive face but with that comes wrinkles.....I was talking to one of my makeup artists and after she told me how nice the makeup took to my skin..I asked her about them -Her answer Get bangs......

May 23 05 09:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

"Do you ever wonder how many of us are perfect?"

What is this "us?"

May 23 05 09:29 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Reese: 
What is this "us?"

It's the third person plural objective pronoun, Reese.

May 23 05 09:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

May 23 05 09:48 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Reese: 
"Do you ever wonder how many of us are perfect?"

What is this "us?"

Yes,  Queen Reese,  Queen Theda, and I, court jester 2nd level could care less about you none perfectos.  Now get back to work...

May 23 05 09:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

"You heard Mark - now hop to it little people..."

May 23 05 10:00 am Link