Forums > Photography Talk > Self taught photographer needs help

Photographer

Fred Brown Photography

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I am using a nikon d70 with Opus lighting system and am have problems with the best white balance to used. I have tried them all and have played with the custom setting. Is it better to used one of the presets or to use the white card and balance it that way. Also is metering read the same as if I was using film n a hand held meter? Thanks for your help.
Alfred

Nov 23 05 03:45 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I find that the presets are good jumping off points, but any neutral color (white card, grey card, white wall, black sweater) will work better.  Then there's almost always some fine tuning for creative control.  I often find myself adding a touch of warmth.

Exposure is just the same, though you should be aware that digital sensors act more like slide film in that overexposed highlights are lost.  Here are a couple good articles you should read about exposing well:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutor … rams.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutor … ight.shtml

Nov 23 05 03:53 am Link

Photographer

H. Robert Holmes

TALL TIMBERS, Maryland, US

Great info!  Thanks!

Nov 23 05 08:54 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

AB IMAGING wrote:
I am using a nikon d70 with Opus lighting system and am have problems with the best white balance to used. I have tried them all and have played with the custom setting. Is it better to used one of the presets or to use the white card and balance it that way. Also is metering read the same as if I was using film n a hand held meter? Thanks for your help.
Alfred

IF you are setting WB in ambient light and then using 5K (daylight) strobes then you have a problem because the colour temp of the ambient is probably not nearly the same as daylight. Try using a daylight WB pre-set.

Studio36

Nov 24 05 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

Try to shoot a piece of white paper under the same conditions, make a custom white balance, you will save a lot of time. T

Nov 24 05 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Surniak

Laurel, Maryland, US

Best thing to use is a little gizmo called an expo disc.
Neatest damn thing out there. Perfect WB every time, it is like a filter but almost opaque and you "shoot" your lighting setup straight through it. It gives your camera a perfect 18% grey.
depending on the camera system at that point (or when you shoot it) set your preset WB. White paper can be too cold (too much blue) and Grey cards have too much green.
One drawback, it is not cheap.
Good Luck
G

Nov 24 05 07:17 pm Link