Forums > Photography Talk > Someone printed images without permission

Photographer

Jwill266

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I moved this, here is the link: http://www3.24h.com.vn/news.php?menu=214&news=70506

What can I do? It appears to be an over seas publication.

Nov 23 05 08:49 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Are they an actual publication or a web publication?

Are they hosted here in the USA?

If not what country?

If they're not a physical publication and they're in another country, your best bet is to go after them through their web host.  HOPEFULLY someone will speak english AND understand international copyright.

If they're hosted in the US, then the web host most likely will pull down their site quickly, though you may have to have a lawyer write them a letter.

If they're a physical publication, well then a lawyer may be in order because international or not a lawsuit is in order.

Nov 23 05 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Jwill266

Louisville, Kentucky, US

The host is in France.

Nov 23 05 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Jwill266

Louisville, Kentucky, US

They even put their copyright logo on the images urrrg!

Nov 23 05 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I don't know what language that might be. Does the ending "VN" means something to someone?

If it is based in France than european laws will appear here. Not THAT different from US copyrights...

Nov 23 05 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Jwill266

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Its asian. Maybe Vietnamese

Nov 23 05 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Jwill266 wrote:
The host is in France.

You should be in luck. The French surrender easily!

Nov 23 05 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Jwill266 wrote:
Its asian. Maybe Vietnamese

Most likely in Vietnam. "vn" is is the Vietnam country domain code, and the language is Vietnamese.

Nov 23 05 09:04 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Jwill266 wrote:
The host is in France.

Then the US Copyrights apply in full force, due to the international trade agreements.

Contact the host and hope they have an english speaker on staff, or possibly find a French speaker who can contact them on your behalf.

Nov 23 05 09:04 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Jwill266 wrote:
They even put their copyright logo on the images urrrg!

Yeah I saw that...ugh...man that sucks

Nov 23 05 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Jwill266

Louisville, Kentucky, US

You know, I would have let them use the images of Valerie Tai free if only they had asked, since its promotional for her and I, but what pisses me off is they stole them rather than ask and credit is not given where credit is due.

Nov 23 05 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Eddie Song Photography

New York, New York, US

It's going to be very hard to push a vietnamese company.  My firm has attempted to sue a vietnamese isp to nix the account of a DoS attacker in the past, and were met with dead ears.  China, Vietnam, Russia, Latvia, etc. will usually not care about foreign laws, and trying to get them to comply is very hard.

Nov 23 05 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Jwill266 wrote:
You know, I would have let them use the images of Valerie Tai free if only they had asked, since its promotional for her and I, but what pisses me off is they stole them rather than ask and credit is not given where credit is due.

If you put images on the internet, in large file sizes, someone will steal them.  Might not be worth the hassle, and money,  to go after them. At least you know they liked them.

Nov 23 05 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Jwill266

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Marvin Dockery wrote:

If you put images on the internet, in large file sizes, someone will steal them.  Might not be worth the hassle, and money,  to go after them. At least you know they liked them.

Thats it, they were not large format and they took the copyright off. The host is in France there has to be something I can do. From what I can tell, I can not read it but can get the just of it, they copied information from one of Val's ports because they got the birth date and other info right.

Nov 23 05 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I suggest finding someone who can interpret that language. For all you know it could be something very good for you and her. It could lead to overseas modeling jobs for her, perhaps. Her name is mentioned in english, I did not see yours. But I am sure those who see her name will look her up on google, which will lead back to you.
She is a beautiful and very bright young lady. You are lucky to have worked with her smile

Nov 23 05 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Jwill266 wrote:

Thats it, they were not large format and they took the copyright off.

This is why I am implimenting a clear but visible watermark on all my images that are to be used on the web by me and by the models I shoot. It is dead center on the image but does not distract the eye at all really. This would get rid of the possibility of removing the copyright info by cropping the photograph. They would have to spend hours on a single image to remove the watermark and make the photograph look right. I don`t think anyone would think that would be worth while.

Nov 23 05 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jwill266

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I suggest finding someone who can interpret that language. For all you know it could be something very good for you and her. It could lead to overseas modeling jobs for her, perhaps. Her name is mentioned in english, I did not see yours. But I am sure those who see her name will look her up on google, which will lead back to you.
She is a beautiful and very bright young lady. You are lucky to have worked with her smile

Thank you!............ Jim glows with pride.....Thats my daughter, and you are correct she is good, but she's had lots of practice. I used to drag her out every couple days and shoot her and try and give her the expierence she needs.

Nov 23 05 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Here you go, because its a country code, typical Domain lookup dont tend to work so gota search it by IP address and heres the information.

Record Type:           IP Address

OrgName:    Asia Pacific Network Information Centre
OrgID:      APNIC
Address:    PO Box 2131
City:       Milton
StateProv:  QLD
PostalCode: 4064

ReferralServer: whois://whois.apnic.net

NetRange:   210.0.0.0 - 211.255.255.255
CIDR:       210.0.0.0/7
NetName:    APNIC-CIDR-BLK2
NetHandle:  NET-210-0-0-0-1
Parent:     
NetType:    Allocated to APNIC
NameServer: NS1.APNIC.NET
NameServer: NS3.APNIC.NET
NameServer: NS4.APNIC.NET
NameServer: NS-SEC.RIPE.NET
NameServer: TINNIE.ARIN.NET
NameServer: DNS1.TELSTRA.NET
Comment:    This IP address range is not registered in the ARIN database.
Comment:    For details, refer to the APNIC Whois Database via
Comment:    WHOIS.APNIC.NET or http://www.apnic.net/apnic-bin/whois2.pl
Comment:    ** IMPORTANT NOTE: APNIC is the Regional Internet Registry
Comment:    for the Asia Pacific region. APNIC does not operate networks
Comment:    using this IP address range and is not able to investigate
Comment:    spam or abuse reports relating to these addresses. For more
Comment:    help, refer to http://www.apnic.net/info/faq/abuse
Comment:   
RegDate:    1996-07-01
Updated:    2005-05-20

OrgTechHandle: AWC12-ARIN
OrgTechName:   APNIC Whois Contact
OrgTechPhone:  +61 7 3858 3100
OrgTechEmail:  [email protected]

APnic.net is likely the webhost, use their abuse link, or contact them directly shortly after sending an email in english to a webmanager email on the main site.

Nov 23 05 01:36 pm Link

Retoucher

Charcoal Artist

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I had a coworker help me translate a portion of this and its a modeling profile,  something along the lines of

"although she just turned 16 all of her acomplishments so far can make a lot of people think that she was born at the same time as paris hilton and Linsay Lohan."  literal translation - needs interpretation

"she started to walk the runway just after she turned 15, although she looks young she has an great height at 1.72m and a proportionate figure at 86-61-91 cm ....."

Nov 23 05 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jwill266

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Charcoal Artist wrote:
I had a coworker help me translate a portion of this and its a modeling profile,  something along the lines of

"although she just turned 16 all of her acomplishments so far can make a lot of people think that she was born at the same time as paris hilton and Linsay Lohan."  literal translation - needs interpretation

"she started to walk the runway just after she turned 15, although she looks young she has an great height at 1.72m and a proportionate figure at 86-61-91 cm ....."

Thank you all! I am registering her domain, per anothers advice to Val and I had not thought of that, before someone steals that too. So thank you who ever you are.

Nov 23 05 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Karl Blessing wrote:
Here you go, because its a country code, typical Domain lookup dont tend to work so gota search it by IP address and heres the information.

APnic.net is likely the webhost, use their abuse link, or contact them directly shortly after sending an email in english to a webmanager email on the main site.

APNIC is the TLD (top level domain) for most over seas IP addresses.  Re-do the search at whois.apnic.net and you will find the company that owns the ip.

Nov 23 05 04:07 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

It's in Vietnamese. I posted what it said in the other thread and I'll repost it here. Mind you, I can only speak Vietnamese. I'm not good at reading.

Valerie Tai -- A Beautiful Model At Age 16

Only at the age of 16, Valerie has accomplished much, making people believe that everything she has was given to her at birth, similar to those like Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan.

When she first stepped foot on the catwalk at the age of 15, she was very mature and attractive; standing at the height of 1.72 with a body measurement of 86-61-91 and cannot be stopped on the world of the internet. (not so sure what the last part says)

Her lineage contains France and [something, I think it's Italy] (French and [something, I'm not sure, I think it's Italian] blood). Her hair are like those of Flamenco and her eyes are like those of Italian girls. She is liked by many. Valerie Tai...(can't translate the rest).

Blah, that took so long. I'm not sure if it's all correct, but it's relatively close to what it says. I also had help.

It sounds like one of those celebrity profile site.

Nov 23 05 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

raveneyes wrote:

APNIC is the TLD (top level domain) for most over seas IP addresses.  Re-do the search at whois.apnic.net and you will find the company that owns the ip.

Tried the domain, but everytime I do a whois even on internic.net it says no address entry found, maybe it cant do the .com.vn

Nov 23 05 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Ok one of the rare occasions my experience in tech support helps:

Dig on 24h.com.vn yields the results:

24h.com.vn.        3M IN A        210.245.22.27

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
24h.com.vn.        15M IN NS    slv2.24h.com.vn.

So the website is hosted on the server 210.245.22.27 and the authoritative name server for it is slv2.24h.com.vn

HOWEVER www.24h.com.vn is hosted at 203.162.163.55

so the web site where the photos are is owned by someone on APNIC

so when I look it up on APNIC.net:

inetnum:      203.162.0.0 - 203.162.255.255
netname:      VNPT-VNNIC-VN
descr:        Vietnam Posts and Telecommunications (VNPT)
descr:        23 Phan Chu Trinh st., Hanoi capital, Vietnam
admin-c:      NXC1-AP
tech-c:       KNH1-AP
changed:      [email protected] 20041011
mnt-by:       MAINT-VN-VNNIC
mnt-lower:    MAINT-VN-VNPT
source:       APNIC

person:       Nguyen Xuan Cuong
nic-hdl:      NXC1-AP
e-mail:       [email protected]
address:      Vietnam Posts and Telecommunications (VNPT)
address:      18 Nguyen Du street, Hanoi capital, Vietnam
phone:        +84-4-9430427
fax-no:       +84-4-8226861
changed:      [email protected] 20040527
mnt-by:       VNPT

person:       Khanh Nguyen Hien
address:      Vietnam Datacommunications Company (VDC)
address:      258 Ba Trieu street, Hanoi capital, Vietnam
phone:        +84-4-8212680
fax-no:       +84-4-9760397
e-mail:       [email protected]
nic-hdl:      KNH1-AP
remarks:      Contact: [email protected]
mnt-by:       VNPT
changed:      [email protected] 20020604

So the web site is hosted and run off a server in Vietnam

All information for the domain points back to the same people in Vietnam and short of contacting the state department, advising them of the copyright violation, and getting a lawyer to keep hounding them until something is done about it, you have little recourse.

Of course making a federal case out of it isn't always a bad thing...but you may just be on the short end of the stick this time.

Nov 23 05 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

"So the web site is hosted and run off a server in Vietnam"

proof that charlie does surf...surfs the web...*inhales for hint of napalm in the air*

Nov 23 05 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jwill266

Louisville, Kentucky, US

You people are all great. I love MM because of that. This site has so many wonderful people on it, with the exception of a few idiots, but you know what they say. There is always one or two bad apples in the bunch we just have to keep those bad ones out so they can not spoil the whole.

Thanks all you good people, Jim Williams

Nov 23 05 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

just dont plan on going to vietnam to try to confront them, you might accidently run into this guy.... scary.

https://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/11/23/glitter.vietnam.reut/story.vert.glitter.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/1 … cnn_latest

Nov 23 05 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Images By Ijumo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It was really great to read this thread.. and actually see us working together to help one of our own in need instead of tearing each other down.  WAY TO GO MM!!!

Nov 24 05 10:00 am Link