Forums > General Industry > whats in your portfolio

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I would just like to know about how many photos do you have in your portfolio, and how many from each category, fashion,lingerie, casual, etc.........

May 22 05 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I have different books for different things for different clients.  I would rather bring an appropriate book 5 x7 then a book 11 x 14 that is out of place to a client. 

You can photograph oranges, the best in the world but they will hire the guy who does apples even if he is just OK.

Even for the idiots that ask for resumes get different ones depending on the job. 

A jewelry company could care less that I shot Victor/hades or that I am going to some day shoot Theda.  (I need to fix that site on my rifle and then I am ready.)

But then you could care less about my still life or jewelry or what I do with oranges.

(PS I make dog shampoo in case Mowrie shows up some day.)

May 22 05 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

About 30 of my favorite images..... all 13x19

May 22 05 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

really just one big book,  ????

May 22 05 11:53 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

I also have different books for different jobs. I agree with above that one type of job could care less what you do in other aspects of your work. Also acting ports are very different then modeling ports so they don't want to see all your modeling work but how you really look is important in that catagory.

When I first started I had one book. I put everything in it lol I just had them head shots then full lengths, then swimsuits like that put together. When starting out you don't have as many choices. The most important I learned from a photographer is don't have pages changing directions (meaning vertical pic then horzontal pic etc). Also less is more. Don't put a bunch of stuff that really doesn't represent you well. A lot of phototags when you are doing tfp's will give you good ideas and suggestions. You don't have to agree with them all, but it helps if you take your book till you get the idea down on how YOU want to represent yourself.

May 23 05 12:50 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I basically redo my book before each casting. Fortunately, I don't go to too many castings, or I'd be overwhelmed.  Right now, I have about 2 dozen shots crammed in there and I very much need to trim. About half of them are nudes. There are couple lingerie shots and a few fashion-like shots. Not a single commercial, lifestyle or "casual" shot, because I really don't do that.

May 23 05 09:31 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

This thread was ask of photographers I think also. I have a Brush Stainless Steel case with 5x7brush stainless still mini book 5x7 with prints only 5x7 in it. Along with published marterials magazines to brouchures & catalogs....17 trans boards(8x10 with dye-cuts of transparencies of two images each board) and a bio sheet & DVD portfolio as a leave behind.Alos there is a mini light box that is included. I have a total of 8 cases and my rep has two that goes out daily about 5-10 times a week.

May 23 05 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by kavonna: 
I would just like to know about how many photos do you have in your portfolio, and how many from each category, fashion,lingerie, casual, etc.........

A models requirement is much different from a photographer's requirement. I won't show models to a client that is interested in seeing table top.

Lingerie, casual, etc. are not categories of modeling but categories of clothing. Pattern your categories from the divisions that agencies have. Categories of modeling are Fashion, Commercial, Editorial, Catalog, etc. and each of those have the clothing types that you mentioned. The number of images is not important. It's the quality of the pictures that you choose. You could have a book of 14 excellent pictures and 1 terrible picture and they'll remember that one.

What I recommend to models is that they work on their composite before working on a portfolio because a comp will be needed before a book is requested. So as you work on your comp, you will get pictures that are book worthy but not always comp worthy as those on your comp should be your best photos. I have received books from agencies where a girl had 3 pictures in it. If the agency didn't have a problem showing it then you shouldn't either. Just remember, more is not better.

May 23 05 10:55 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Fred Brown: 
Categories of modeling are Fashion, Commercial, Editorial, Catalog, etc. and each of those have the clothing types that you mentioned.

What differentiates catalogue from fashion and commercial as a type of modeling?

May 23 05 10:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

I have a gum wrapper in mine... 

May 23 05 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by theda: 
What differentiates catalogue from fashion and commercial as a type of modeling?

If you look at them from the view point of agencies then the differences are based on one's look which defines what kind of work the agenct feels they can get them. I will list some divisions in agencies but it's not uncommon that a model is in more then one division or they could be multi-listed by different agencies.

Common divisions for modeling are:
Print, Commercial, Men, Women, Kids, Plus, New Faces, Runway, Hair/Makeup, stylist, sophisticated

Common divisions for acting are:
Child, commercial, television, theatre, SAG

Hope this helps.

May 23 05 12:17 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Well, that didn't really help with my question aboutcatalogue. I know I'm not an insider, butevery catalogue I've ever seen is either fashion print or commerical print.

May 23 05 12:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

:::Reese stops in to moderate::::

Nope, nothing to see here...

May 23 05 12:25 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Reese, you are having much too much fun with your new powers.

Enjoy it quickly before Czarina bans fun.

May 23 05 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by theda: 
Well, that didn't really help with my question aboutcatalogue. I know I'm not an insider, butevery catalogue I've ever seen is either fashion print or commerical print.

Sorry, I must have mis-understood your question, I know I said something to the effect of the look of the model determines where she'll be placed. Do you mean what about the look or am I totally not understanding?

May 23 05 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by theda: 

Posted by Fred Brown: 
Categories of modeling are Fashion, Commercial, Editorial, Catalog, etc. and each of those have the clothing types that you mentioned.

I cannot answer the agency part but for a photographer the differences can be large or just tweeking.

Catalog work can be much different even within catalogs,  take the catalogs for Bergdorf or a catalog for Lane Bryant or a catalog for sharper image.

This differs in my opinion from ads for Coke/pepsi/ beer/clothing/etc.

A shoot for a catalog for a clothing company can be very different from an Ad for that same clothing.  The ad would be commercial and different from a commercial catalog.

As would a ad or catalog for fetish wear compared to a Macy's catalog.

====
With modeling this can also be true with the difference needed.  A actress going to a TV commercial may need only a headshot or a small commercial book,  but for a cmmercial ad in print for the same company,  she may need a commercial oriented portfolio and not just a headshot.  The same model may have an editorial book also.  That is why agencies do what they do and the agency should know what is needed. 

Hope this helps also.

May 23 05 12:35 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Sort of. Fred's post made it sound like catalogue was a distinct area of modeling, since it was listed along with fashion and commercial.

I understand that different clients call for different styles.  But I was under the impression that fashion and commercial were subests of print and catalgue would be considered either a subset of commercial or a subset of fashion depending on the client.

Of course different agencies will call their divisions whatever they feel like calling them. Just 'cause they can, but does that really have much bearing on the way a model organizes her portfolio(s)?

May 23 05 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Model/actor/dog/cat--please stand on the red dot and smile.

Or stand on the dot and say "hello, buy more now or you will die a slow painful death."

Same-same to me.

I think people label things what they will such as test/tfp/ spec/ shoot/masturbation/etc.

The labels are labels but can be useful to judge at a distance like a sign at the curbside of a store.

It is just a sign but then who would want to go into every store on the avenue to find the shoe repair shop.

I think Fred's answer was good but not sure who uses what terms where.

May 23 05 02:02 pm Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by Fred Brown: 

Posted by kavonna: 

A models requirement is much different from a photographer's requirement. I won't show models to a client that is interested in seeing table top.

Lingerie, casual, etc. are not categories of modeling but categories of clothing. Pattern your categories from the divisions that agencies have. Categories of modeling are Fashion, Commercial, Editorial, Catalog, etc. and each of those have the clothing types that you mentioned. The number of images is not important. It's the quality of the pictures that you choose. You could have a book of 14 excellent pictures and 1 terrible picture and they'll remember that one.

What I recommend to models is that they work on their composite before working on a portfolio because a comp will be needed before a book is requested. So as you work on your comp, you will get pictures that are book worthy but not always comp worthy as those on your comp should be your best photos. I have received books from agencies where a girl had 3 pictures in it. If the agency didn't have a problem showing it then you shouldn't either. Just remember, more is not better.

Okay so I should be focusing on my comp at the moment, and when i strat my portolio have a couple different books with one category each in it?

May 23 05 06:08 pm Link