Forums > General Industry > Agencies and other things

Model

Lexi Lithium

Tampa, Florida, US

Work is not exsactly been anything really. And I was thinking of looking in to an Agency that works out of Ceveland. The Black Rose to be exsact and I was wondering if it was worth it being a pluse size altenitive model?

My schedual is wide open, andI really would like to book some things but it seems lacking. Advice? Offers? Anything?

Apr 12 05 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

JC

Well not trying to be mean, but you need to learn how to spell and proofread before you are taken seriously.

AND  what gave you the idea that you are plus size ? You are waaaaaaaaaaay too fat to be considered plus size. 
Save yourself some dignity and take my advice. But you shouldn't need me to tell you that you are way too heavy to be considered plus size.  Go to any real agency site and look at what a real plus size woman is.

Apr 12 05 07:57 pm Link

Model

Lexi Lithium

Tampa, Florida, US

Why don't you keep your ideas and thoughts to your self when you can't say something nice or productive. There are enough people out there  WAY bigger then me who are called plus size. 

Its people like you who make photographers seem more vain and worth hating over ideas that should have been discarded years ago. Maybe I can not spell all the time. But that doesn't change anything. If you want to insult people, do it somewhere else, not when someone is at least ATTEMPTING to seek advice and help.

Apr 12 05 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

JC

I am giving you advice and help.  Seriously you are not plus size and certainly neither is anyone who is bigger than you.

You are wondering why you can't find work and I am telling you why. You may not agree with the standards out there but those are the standards and no one is going to change the industry for one person. I am giving you advice, please take it.

Apr 12 05 08:12 pm Link

Model

Lexi Lithium

Tampa, Florida, US

Last time I checked anyone over a size 8 was considered plus size. How can you say I am not?

Yes, I understand your point about giving advice, but maybe you should reconsider how you word things. We are all on here to find work, make friends and learn. Not insult one another.

I'm not wondering why I can't find work, I have enough offers for work as it stands. I was asking about agency's mostly because I want something to orginize it better and if joining one would be worth it. Work has lulled to a point but I also understand thats because I don't have the best of images at this current time.

Apr 12 05 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Paris Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

If you ever watch shows like top model or the SI model search you will hear that models are given very direct feedback that is not sugar-coated and is often harsh. Jason works in the business and knows what he is talking about. Dont discount his words just because you dont like what he is saying.

Apr 12 05 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

JC

LOL  you're 5' 4" and 242 pounds !  Plus size doesn't JUST MEAN anything over size 8.

If you REALLY want the truth, click this link.

http://fordmodels.com/search.cfm?office … ent_email=

Apr 12 05 08:37 pm Link

Model

Tanya O

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted by Jason Christopher: 

AND  what gave you the idea that you are plus size ? You are waaaaaaaaaaay too fat to be considered plus size. Save yourself some dignity... 

While I appreciate your honesty (because I do agree with you, Jason) I think there could have been a more respectful way to say it. Not only that, but I feel that outright laughing at her weight is cruel no matter how one looks at it.

Come on, let's not make this site catty.  smile We all want to help each other out here and make people feel good about themselves. Even something akin to "If you want to get job offers, you may need to manage your physical health and weight very closely"... Comes off as far more positive and helpful.

And in regards to the reality shows, yes, feedback is harsh, but they also need high ratings. "You're just not what we're looking for" won't get the networks millions of viewers.

Apr 12 05 08:42 pm Link

Model

Lexi Lithium

Tampa, Florida, US

Thank you Xi.  I wasn't discarding what Jason had to say, but I know that he could have found another way to put it that didn't give me the impression he was making fun of me.
I'm not exspecting things sugar coated. I live in relaity.

Yet in reality some people do have a concept of being polite at least.

Apr 12 05 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

JC

You think I'm rude ?  LOL  Go visit some agencies then tell me I'm rude.  Did you copy and paste that link Lexi ?

Little dose of reality there for you.

Apr 12 05 08:52 pm Link

Model

Usman

Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois, US

Jason is right; they are pretty curl out there. I went to an agency and they told me that I was too fat and oily, they told me to come natural….I’m brown, I’m naturally oily!

When I went, I weighed 132lbs and am 6’0” tall…….

Just take his advice and use it for the better.

Apr 13 05 05:33 pm Link

Model

Usman

Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois, US

Jason is right; they are pretty curl out there. I went to an agency and they told me that I was too fat and oily, they told me to come natural….I’m brown, I’m naturally oily!

When I went, I weighed 132lbs and am 6’0” tall…….

Just take his advice and use it for the better.

Apr 13 05 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Xi: 

AND  what gave you the idea that you are plus size ? You are waaaaaaaaaaay too fat to be considered plus size. Save yourself some dignity... 

While I appreciate your honesty (because I do agree with you, Jason) I think there could have been a more respectful way to say it. Not only that, but I feel that outright laughing at her weight is cruel no matter how one looks at it.

Come on, let's not make this site catty.  smile We all want to help each other out here and make people feel good about themselves. Even something akin to "If you want to get job offers, you may need to manage your physical health and weight very closely"... Comes off as far more positive and helpful.

And in regards to the reality shows, yes, feedback is harsh, but they also need high ratings. "You're just not what we're looking for" won't get the networks millions of viewers.

Good follow up Xi!

Apr 14 05 12:09 am Link

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

i went to an audition to an agency. i got in right away. i wore a form fitting dress, showed my dedication, and walked on the runway. they loved me. im a size 2/3..

Apr 14 05 07:07 am Link

Model

Annalise

Dallas, Texas, US

your a bitch

Well not trying to be mean, but you need to learn how to spell and proofread before you are taken seriously.

AND  what gave you the idea that you are plus size ? You are waaaaaaaaaaay too fat to be considered plus size. 
Save yourself some dignity and take my advice. But you shouldn't need me to tell you that you are way too heavy to be considered plus size.  Go to any real agency site and look at what a real plus size woman is.

Apr 15 05 06:50 pm Link

Model

Annalise

Dallas, Texas, US

oh well jason I have met people in the business and they are all not like you they know how to word things without being an ass.

Apr 15 05 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

eses

Seattle, Washington, US

It hurts. A lot of rough statements are thrown around constantly, and often with an accompanying smile. It can be sick. Modeling isn't a philosophical lifestyle based on compassion. If that's what you're looking for, go to a monestery. Where Jason was a bit percussive with the way he laid things out, I have heard and seen worse. In any case, what Jason said was a fair bit of honesty.

Additionally, Jason never expressed that his (or anyone elses) image or ideals of beauty were any valid than the next. He was stating industry standards. (I hate it when people say industry). Good luck to you, Lexi.

Apr 15 05 07:10 pm Link

Model

Storm Unnirsdottir

New York, New York, US

It's true.
Modeling is f***ing cutthroat.
You NEED to be able to spell.

You NEED to be able to take direct, even harsh criticism.

If you cannot take the heat, then modeling is not going to work out.

Take a look at my portfolio and the work I do.
There is little chance that any agency would sign me, even though I am young, fit, 6'1 and a size 6.

Please don't waste your time and tears. If you like being photographed, do it! But you will never be a mainstream professional model. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Apr 15 05 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

edrickguerrero photography

Pasadena, California, US

hmmm....storm's right on. you need to be able to take  criticism. no matter how it sounds like...even photograpers get crits. that's because we're all pretty! haha...pretty tired of spending so much money on equipment!

Apr 15 05 07:44 pm Link