Forums > Photography Talk > FAKE OR REAL?

Model

Earth Angel 555

Los Angeles, California, US

So i went on craigs list and saw this awesome opportunity to get printed in magazines. I replied to the email address that was provided and submitted a few pictures.  I dont know if this is fake or real. I know its lenghty and i appreciate all your repsonse. i just dont know what to do. I dont think its an agency.. but theres a contract involved!! help!!!!!!

Congratulations! As President of our online shopping network and on behalf of our thousands of Top Stores and Fashion Designers, I am thrilled to select you as one of our Professional Catalog Ad Models!
Please take the time to read this entire Congratulatory Letter, as it will explain in detail the awesome dynamic Professional Modeling Opportunity our Network is offering you.
First of all, we select and sign only a few models from the "thousands" of models who apply each week.
One of the reasons we select only a few models is that the amount of time and effort plus huge costs to provide all the benefits of the contract makes it impossible to select very many models. Our Network selects only those models who we believe have the right type of good looks to promote our products.
It can cost our Network is excess of two thousand dollars invested into your Professional Modeling Career.

Are you worth it? We believe you are and are willing to take a chance that your good looks will bring our Network a profit and increase our sales.
You will model many Top Fashion Lines that might include: Old Navy, Tommy, Liz, Gap, Calvin to name just a few.
Imagine having your look published on the largest Shopping Network in the world in front of a potential viewing audience of over 30 Million customers, 24/7/365!
You are guaranteed to have your looks promote a minimum of twelve great fashions/products. You will receive a different product each month for one full year to model and keep.
You will get paid 85% of all earnings paid to us by Amazon.com from the airing of all of your Catalog Ads! We can not guarantee you will become rich and famous, but we can not count that out also!
You will also receive a Guaranteed Monthly Gross Revenue Share Check. (This is determined by taking 5% of our Monthly Gross Revenue Earnings and dividing that 5% with all of our models.) This is like owning the Shopping Network with us, kind of like receiving dividends on stock ownership! You can not help but to get paid for your modeling efforts.
It will take you about one hour per month, right in your hometown area at your convenience. It is Fun and Exciting with no pressure whatsoever.
The Catalog Ads you are featured on become very valuable "Print Credits." A Print Credit is earned when you complete a "print assignment" for a company. The more Print Credits you list on your Resume', the more valuable you become as a model. It gives you clout and shows you are not just another "wannabe" model, but a real Professional Model with experience in front of the camera. Just like any other profession, the more experience you have, the better chance you have of getting the job. Modeling is no different. Most aspiring models have little or no print credits and they remain stagnant in their careers.
You will earn at least twelve Print Credits modeling for our Shopping Network. We even send you a Full Color Copy of each of your Catalog Ads by E-mail that you can print out and insert into your Professional Model Portfolio! (There is a big difference between having a Portfolio of just pictures taken by a photographer, compared to having a Portfolio of real paying Catalog Ads working for a major Network.)
Your Catalog Ads also become your On-line Web Portfolio which can also list your Stats, Experience and Interests of being hired. Each Catalog Ad becomes a separate website address that you will receive.
Models also receive a Free Portfolio Case to display their Catalog Ads
There are millions of aspiring models in the world! 99% of them are sitting around waiting for their first modeling gig. The competition is great. You must find a way to market your good looks in a fashion that puts your look ahead of the crowd. That is one of our Network's best advantages! Marketing is the name of the game.
We also want to make sure that you always have the ability to send our Network photos. Thus, we send our models a nice Digital Camera to use and keep at no charge. We prefer images be sent by e-mail quickly, as time is money. Waiting for a studio to develop photos can take a month to get the copies. We live in a fast paced, high tech society. Digital is the name of the game!
What makes a Professional Image? It is not paying a photographer, it is taking the time to pose well and shoot to the specs of the assignment. Digital Cameras allow almost everyone to be a Professional Photographer because their is no charge for film and development and many shots can be taken at no cost.
We like to help our models and their families receive many Company Benefits, thus, we give each of our models an awesome $1,000 Shopping Spree which is good for Major Discounted Travel and Vacation Perks, Group Discounted Health Benefits and tons of free merchandise.
Once you send us the images, it is our Network and your Catalog Ads that are working for you around the clock. One Catalog Ad can keep making you earnings day after day, week after week, month after month! That sure beats out the once and done low paying per hour modeling gigs that leave you sitting there praying you will be offered more work. Although, our Modeling Agreement can help you obtain many more per hour jobs because of the Professional Reference we provide and the awesome marketing of your good looks.
I have been in the Modeling/Glamour/Marketing Business for over 28 years! I can assure you that the best way to start or further your Professional Modeling Career is to actually be featured modeling for a Major Network. Paying photographers for pictures will not do it! Attending Modeling Schools will not do it! And being featured on Model Websites with "thousands" of other models will not do it! And, of these companies charge you a fee that is not given back to you!
As a Christian Family Owned Company our Network maintains the highest level of moral, ethical and professional standards at all times. This is unusual in the modeling industry.
We are totally unique and can not be compared to any other modeling company or offer. There is no other company in the world that will offer you as much.
We are the #1 Modeling Company in the world offering more assignments and more guarantees than any other.
Please request the modeling agreement for your review [email protected]

Time is of the essence, we only have a few positions to offer each week.
I can only remind you that success does not happen by thinking about it, it happens by acting upon it. You know that saying "waiting for your boat to come in", well, the "the boat usually never comes in", "you have to swim out to it!" Carpe Diem! GO FOR IT!
You have NOTHING TO RISK or LOSE, only GREAT POSITIVE BENEFITS can take place signing with our Network!
God Speed to your Success, Health and Happiness,
Ronald Edward Gross, President/Worldwide Network

Nov 25 05 01:45 am Link

Photographer

johnny olsen

jump all over it smile

(i'm kidding)

Nov 25 05 01:49 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Old Navy is a "Top Fashion Line"?

And the "#1 Modeling Company in the world" uses a Yahoo account to communicate with potential models?

Nov 25 05 01:54 am Link

Model

Earth Angel 555

lol@ brian!! damn scams suck!!!   ugh! lol

Nov 25 05 01:56 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

OK...in case the wording and familiar hucksterism (or even Jonny's sarcasm) didn't tip you off: It's a scam.

'Major networks' don't advertise on craigslist.  They go through agencies.  Major networks don't send out samples to models, they have stylists bring the samples to shoots.  Major networks don't play around with hiding their name, they just come out and say who the heck they are...over and over and over again (company letterhead, contract, contact info)...Major networks don't waste your time with a 450 word letter 'congratulating' you on being 'selected' for their advertising campaign.

Nov 25 05 01:59 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Oh...my...GOD!

I'm laughing my ass off over here.  From their site at http://www.modelrep.com/item174180.ctlg

"$89.00 per month for 3 months
*MAKE SURE YOU CLICK ON THE "ADD TO CART BUTTON!" Congratulations on signing the Professional Model Agreement with our Network to help promote many popular stores. This payment plan is for the $289.00 Security Deposit only and costs (3) auto drafts of $89.00 which model agrees upon.   The Payment Plan is three equal payments of $89 for three consecutive months. (Final Payment of $19.00 is taken out of first month's earnings.)  There is no risk in losing your investment however, as the security deposit is paid back through the guaranteed monthly gross revenue share paycheck plan. Once paying, there are NO REFUNDS except through the contract agreement terms and Chargebacks will be considered theft and prosecuted.  * The digital camera and fashions sent our not delivered until the security is paid in full. Model can start however right away using their own camera. No earnings are paid out until the security is paid in full. Models will begin with Store Assignments until paid in full.  No refunds except through Gross Revenue Share Plan.

Our Price: $89.00"

ROFLMAO!!!!

Nov 25 05 02:07 am Link

Model

Earth Angel 555

raveneyes wrote:
Oh...my...GOD!

I'm laughing my ass off over here.  From their site at http://www.modelrep.com/item174180.ctlg

"$89.00 per month for 3 months
*MAKE SURE YOU CLICK ON THE "ADD TO CART BUTTON!" Congratulations on signing the Professional Model Agreement with our Network to help promote many popular stores. This payment plan is for the $289.00 Security Deposit only and costs (3) auto drafts of $89.00 which model agrees upon.   The Payment Plan is three equal payments of $89 for three consecutive months. (Final Payment of $19.00 is taken out of first month's earnings.)  There is no risk in losing your investment however, as the security deposit is paid back through the guaranteed monthly gross revenue share paycheck plan. Once paying, there are NO REFUNDS except through the contract agreement terms and Chargebacks will be considered theft and prosecuted.  * The digital camera and fashions sent our not delivered until the security is paid in full. Model can start however right away using their own camera. No earnings are paid out until the security is paid in full. Models will begin with Store Assignments until paid in full.  No refunds except through Gross Revenue Share Plan.

Our Price: $89.00"

ROFLMAO!!!!

sad

Nov 25 05 02:12 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Earth Angel 555 wrote:
sad

I'm sorry...I wasn't laughing at you...I was more laughing at me, I was wondering how long I'd have to read before I found the catch.  Not long after I found their site, I found their catch.

Nov 25 05 02:16 am Link

Photographer

JMedkeff

Anchorage, Alaska, US

The part that got me was that the model would be paid 85% of the money Amazon.com pays to run their ad. Amazon being a retailer and not a media placement agency, I kinda figured if you wanted an ad to run on Amazon, you'd pay them. Maybe I'm naive, though.

Nov 25 05 11:00 am Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

It's a bad deal -----This asshole has been trying that scam for years . He even threatend to have me killed if I did not stop telling  on him.
He is a sick puppy ---LOL

Nov 25 05 11:06 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

Earth Angel 555 wrote:
What makes a Professional Image? It is not paying a photographer, it is taking the time to pose well and shoot to the specs of the assignment. Digital Cameras allow almost everyone to be a Professional Photographer because their is no charge for film and development and many shots can be taken at no cost.

AhHa...I knew it...it's all about the camera! smile

Nov 25 05 11:06 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

When using Craig's List always send an initial reply asking for a return response from a legitimate corp. e-mail.  Do so with a Hotmail or Yahoo account.  CL is the con of all con web sites.

Nov 25 05 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Prose Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Fake ...Fake...Fake.  A model I worked with already investigated this.

Nov 25 05 11:52 am Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Do not believe anything on Craig's List or EBAY..

Nov 25 05 06:09 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Well, ya gotta ask yourself: do you feel lucky?

Nov 25 05 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

retphoto

Sunbury, Pennsylvania, US

Ron Gross used to post the same stuff under the  name of "WISH NETWORK"

Nov 25 05 06:57 pm Link

Model

Earth Angel 555

CRAP! lol i was skeptical.. and im glad you guys put  me in my place!! i mean it, thanks MMERs

Nov 26 05 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

I wonder how many billions of e-mail addresses that went to..  wink

JP

Nov 26 05 08:03 pm Link