Forums > General Industry > all this talk about agencies

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
I have a few of questions for you Dan.

First, are you a photographer full time?

Second, so the agencies pay you to shoot the models for clients?

Third, what about for personal projects, do you still find your models from agencies?  If so, how much do you have to pay?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything as usual, I'm just trying to find the plus sides of the agency thing compared to the online world.

I have a few of questions for you Dan.

Albright I’ll see what I can do.

First, are you a photographer full time?

Yep, but as a commercial photographer I shoot a lot more than just models. I also shoot a lot product illustration and interiors. Most of the models I shoot are either commercial models or real people. My portfolio here and on omp has mainly my fashion print work but up here in Northern California, commercial/lifestyle work is where the money is.

Here is an example of a commercial shot I did last year. This guy is a commercial model, he has agencies in LA, SF, and Sacramento. In Sactown he is reped by Cast Images. In San Francisco he has The Stars Agency. (That’s where he was booked through)  and a LA agency. I can’t remember which one but when he said it the name was familiar. I also remember he has one in Portland because he has a daughter that lives there. Don’t know how much direct work he gets from there.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/hhm.jpg

Remember working with models doesn't just mean tall skinny female teenagers.

If you go to say Cast images site http://www.castimages.com that is how a true commercial agency is laid out by gender and race and age.

It’s done that way so say like sometime I need a Hispanic looking grandma, I can locate one fast, maybe do a direct booking from the site. Remember as a agency their reputation is on the line so if she don’t look like she looks on the site the agency wont get repeat business. With independent models you never know. Also availability’ an issue, if say one Hispanic grandma isn’t available they have more and it’s their job to line them up.

Second, so the agencies pay you to shoot the models for clients?

No, Here in California there are strong rules about that.

What an agency does is say to a model here is a list of photographers who can shoot the type of work you need for your card or book and let the model purchase the work. That way there normally isn’t any kick back or anything. At least on paper. Most agencies know about what you charge and they can recommend to the model to use one photographer in particular if they really want that photographers work on this models card.

In places like NYC, with the editorial fashion agency stystem, agency’s setting up tests with models and putting the costs on a models account is common, but not out here and never with commercial agency’s.

Third, what about for personal projects, do you still find your models from agencies? If so, how much do you have to pay?

Yes, I use agency models all the time for “speck shoots” or testing. Honestly, I have never paid money to shoot a model in my life.

Here is what you do, make an appointment with the owner or  head booker. Show them your work and tell them you want on the testing board. Here is the killer IF YOUR WORK IS THE TYPE AN AGENCY CAN USE TO MARKET THEIR MODELS YOU MAY TEST ALL THE TIME FRO FREE.  Remember the work MUST BE THE TYPE THE AGEBCY CAN USE.  This requires knowing your market and knowing what different agencies needs are.

For example here in Northern California the type of work that http://www.citymodel.com wants is different than what http://www.marladell.com/index2.html wants for their models. Know the difference, know your market. Don’t expect to be put on any paid shooter list until you do.

Here is the crutch, most of the work you see here online is completely inappropriate for what agencies want. It may be cool photography but if it isn’t what the agency’s can use they wont give you models for free. Pain and simple.  Nudes, bondage, art, glamour, haught couture fashion outside LA, NYC, Agency’s can’t use this stuff. You want to test with agencies shoot what agency’s want.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything as usual,

Oh my god it happened.
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/gifs/hell.jpg

I’ll fix the spellin later (before the spelling police bust my ass again but I’m late for dinner.

May 23 05 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Well thats not me.......

Posted by Brent Burzycki: 

But some photographers aren't getting paid from them, they are just using thier models.

May 23 05 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Totally - if I had an agency that wanted to use my stuff I woudl do it to get my name out.... but have not had that happen...

Or if they wanted me to recruit models and shoot for them etc I would give them the first shot with the models etc.

Posted by Fred Brown: 

Posted by Brent Burzycki: 
Umm because they are getting jobs from them??

Money = believe anything..

But some photographers aren't getting paid from them, they are just using thier models.

Nothing wrong with that either. It all depends on ones purpose. If one wants to shoot models at an ad agency level then he has to be at least at a level where he's shooting models at the agency level. Otherwise they think you're just shooting girls and there is a huge difference in the eyes of the clients. Remember the ad agencies know the models because after all, they are the ones hiring them. The perception is if you are only shoot the girl next door or girls that would not get signed by model agencies then there is something that's not up to par. So shooting them for free has it's advantages depending on one's purpose.

May 23 05 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Ok now that is the best picture I have seen in some time.... forget all these models.... we are going to look for cool signs....

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/gifs/hell.jpg

May 23 05 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

This looks like TFP/CD. Except, with formalities.

No, with a free test no releases are signed. It is simply that a test. The industry assumption is either party can use them for self promotion ( including the agency) but any commercial use requires a usage release.

May 24 05 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Just a handful of people and with them really, it's not about being right, but being competitive. They all want to herd the prettiest models over to their corner and lock down who they can shoot with. You know the deal NoyPi.

That's pretty much the definition of a internet/OMP model manger.

May 24 05 12:42 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Dan Hood: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

This looks like TFP/CD. Except, with formalities.

No, with a free test no releases are signed. It is simply that a test. The industry assumption is either party can use them for self promotion ( including the agency) but any commercial use requires a usage release.

I've never had that assumption as a Freelance Photographer. I get releases signed all the time. Even for TFP.

May 24 05 12:45 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
I've never had that assumption as a Freelance Photographer. I get releases signed all the time. Even for TFP.

I've heard that assumption, but usually only from photographers that work primarily with agency models. I'll tell you a secret: I didn't sign a release more than half of the shots I have up on MM right now.

May 24 05 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by Dan Hood: 
I’ll fix the spellin later (before the spelling police bust my ass again but I’m late for dinner.

Hmm, maybe the reading comprehension police need to come out? It wasn't about "busting" you for spelling, my explanation didn't make sense to you?

Is that sign from Hell Michigan? That's only a few miles from me

May 24 05 01:10 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Dan Hood: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Just a handful of people and with them really, it's not about being right, but being competitive. They all want to herd the prettiest models over to their corner and lock down who they can shoot with. You know the deal NoyPi.

That's pretty much the definition of a internet/OMP model manger.

I guess that definition crosses over to both sides of the fence. Depending on which Agency, or Manager.

May 24 05 01:47 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by theda: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

I've heard that assumption, but usually only from photographers that work primarily with agency models. I'll tell you a secret: I didn't sign a release more than half of the shots I have up on MM right now.

Well, I get releases for two reasons. One, I'm a freelance photographer. It's what freelance photographers do. Two, I want the unfettered ability to do with the images I know will do one of two things, or both, a) make us money if image(s) are bought by an interested party, b) market our talent.

I also derive a little guilty pleasure from the record keeping. tongue

May 24 05 01:55 am Link

Photographer

edrickguerrero photography

Pasadena, California, US

hehe, you guys crack me up...

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by marksora: 

Posted by * Bisual landscapes *: 

hey Bisual landscapes,  (snicker, laughs,...)

LOL! Now I am tinking of pried Tilapia. wink

May 24 05 02:11 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by marksora: 
hey Bisual landscapes,  (snicker, laughs,...)

puahahaha.  wierdo.

I do not think people are insisting  they are correct but just sharing their views and work experiences.  close but I see the difference.
(goes back to check to make sure he did not act like an a-hole)

They insist once they start argueing and everyone argues, especially when it comes to me, lol.

May 24 05 02:19 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Fred Brown: 
I can't agree with you on that one but that just depends on what your criteras for judging models are.

Oh yeah, I forgot.  This whole thread is being overtaken by the fashion police.

May 24 05 02:20 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
LOL! Now I am tinking of pried Tilapia. wink

Eww!

May 24 05 02:21 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Dan Hood: 
Here in California there are strong rules about that.

What an agency does is say to a model here is a list of photographers who can shoot the type of work you need for your card or book and let the model purchase the work. That way there normally isn’t any kick back or anything. At least on paper. Most agencies know about what you charge and they can recommend to the model to use one photographer in particular if they really want that photographers work on this models card.

Well by golly gee, I've learned something new.  Actually, this is the first thing I've ever learned on these messageboards.

I've always wondered why models would call me up out of the blue and say they were referred by this agency and then asking me for my rates.  I always thought the agencies handled that.

Here is what you do, make an appointment with the owner or  head booker. Show them your work and tell them you want on the testing board. Here is the killer IF YOUR WORK IS THE TYPE AN AGENCY CAN USE TO MARKET THEIR MODELS YOU MAY TEST ALL THE TIME FRO FREE.  Remember the work MUST BE THE TYPE THE AGEBCY CAN USE.  This requires knowing your market and knowing what different agencies needs are.

I've had three different agencies contact me wanting to work with me.  Two I gave my contact info to, didn't hear from them for months, then out of the blue I started getting calls from random models.  I thought it was a fuckin joke at first, lol until the model paid me.  One agency I still have yet to work with.  I'm looking forward to that one.  They have hot chicks.

I think I will go and contact some agencies now.  I've always told myself that it's a waste of time.  Your reply actually makes me want to try and see if it's worth my time.

One of the companies I work for's competition hires models from an agency.  I have to find models myself.  Booking through an agency might be easier for me and they have hot chicks.

May 24 05 02:24 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by theda: 

So you're saying that work with an agency?  I thought agencies only work with models over 5'8?  You're like, shorter than that.

tongue

May 24 05 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

I've had three different agencies contact me wanting to work with me. 

What agencies?

May 24 05 03:41 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Dan Hood: 
What agencies?

One of them was the company that I used to scout for before I was a photographer (San Diego).  I don't even think they know I used to be a scout for them.  One is located in Hollywood and the other one is located in Las Vegas.

Stop being an agency cop, lol.  I don't trust you pigs!  I don't give references to other photographers, only models and clients when needed.

May 24 05 04:31 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

I'm talking about working with reped models.

It's why agency models often don't sign releases. The agency does. That's why in this state agencies must be licensed and bonded. They have power of attorney to sign on behave of a model. That's why models turn in a voucher book. The agency releases the models likeness when the payment to the agency has been made.

May 24 05 05:22 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Posted by Joe K. Perez:

I guess that definition crosses over to both sides of the fence. Depending on which Agency, or Manager.

No there are major differences that I'm not going to type out here.

You should read this, it's a great primmer on the world of land based agencies
It was written by the owner of NYC's oldest commercial agency.

http://www.newmodels.com

May 24 05 05:28 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Posted by Dan Hood: 
What agencies?

One of them was the company that I used to scout for before I was a photographer (San Diego).  I don't even think they know I used to be a scout for them.  One is located in Hollywood and the other one is located in Las Vegas.

Stop being an agency cop, lol.  I don't trust you pigs!  I don't give references to other photographers, only models and clients when needed.

Oh yes the mythical, nameless un verifiable, agencies that out of the blue started sending models to you with out knowing who you are, your rates, your usage, anything at all.

Oh go ahead humor us, tell us the names of the agencies that are dying to use the type of work you produce on a constant level.

May 24 05 05:35 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Dan Hood: 
Oh yes the mythical, nameless un verifiable, agencies that out of the blue started sending models to you with out knowing who you are, your rates, your usage, anything at all.

Another photographer, and also a good friend of mind, recommended me to 2 of them, you dipshit.  Thanks for asking.

As a matter of fact, I have my girlfriend shooting for one of the agencies this coming Sunday and Monday because I'm busy.

Oh go ahead humor us, tell us the names of the agencies that are dying to use the type of work you produce on a constant level.

You could take your cocky agency eliteness and shove it up your ass. I didn't see you giving out names when I asked.

I have nothing to prove to anyone, do you?  Mister, I get my models from agencies. 

smile

May 24 05 05:42 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Another photographer, and also a good friend of mind, recommended me to 2 of them, you dipshit.  Thanks for asking.

As a matter of fact, I have my girlfriend shooting for one of the agencies this coming Sunday and Monday because I'm busy.

You could take your cocky agency eliteness and shove it up your ass. I didn't see you giving out names when I asked.

I have nothing to prove to anyone, do you?  Mister, I get my models from agencies. 

smile

Sigh........I am so sorry I took the time out of my day to give you some info. To actually take time out to type up some info you could use. I will never make that mistake again.

May 24 05 06:02 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Dan Hood: 
Sigh........I am so sorry I took the time out of my day to give you some info. To actually take time out to type up some info you could use. I will never make that mistake again.

And I thanked you for that time.  Too bad you just had to end up being a dick.

May 24 05 06:10 am Link

Model

Richmond, California, US

There are two sides to the coin. I have 2 agencies. Atlanta Models..and Stand Out (which is in the UK). Stand Out wanted me to shell out 350.00 in comp cards (a red flag went off...)

And Atlanta hasn't gotten me anything YET...I've gotten all the work myself. Don't get me wrong..they are great..but I don't think that they are working for me..which is an agencies POINT.

So I think...it just depends. Sometimes models can do better on their own. Getting off the 'net helps..there are too many idiots on here that will rip you off or try to take advantage of you. Get all the magazines and sign up for the casting call list..and build your stack of comp cards...send them out. I just try to get legit jobs and not deal with the internet as much expect to find photographers to shoot with.

Sun

May 24 05 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Industrial Deco

Toledo, Ohio, US

In my area, EVERY agency I have talked to has been just a photomill and a school scam.

Self management is the way to go.

May 24 05 07:23 am Link

Model

KARELEA

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

From experience as a model… (neutral zone)
I worked with different modeling agencies, some provided work others didn’t – not that I care now, I got many. If the agency is established, they got established clients and that’s where the money is. Established higher-end agencies have similar equal models – of higher end looks and talent. What’s the point of wasting time digging through a pile of ‘unworthy’ if they can turn to the source that has done it for them and has the best of the best with choices. Obviously you’ve gotten the point.

Cons. Do your homework. Do you really think that in the village near a so called town ‘Martha’ will find a legit established agency? Heck no. Agencies are where the money is, so unless your city can be compared to the popularity of NY or LA, you’ll keep stumbling unto wannabes that barely have any clients so they scam their own people feeding off of the popularity of modeling/fashion industry overall. Also, do you really think that our little 5’5 ‘Martha’ with silicone boobs, 5 piercings & tattoos at 150 pounds will make it in the fashion industry? Lets get real. Nothing personal but many need a reality check. Yes, she could try glamour or fetish but main point is, what’s your goal???  If it’s a consideration for professional success, then realize this: does your look fit the industry standards? Am I at the right place to pursue this?  This applies to photographers too.  Vogue wont call up poor little ‘Bob’ who lives in the countryside shooting family portraits or that girl from the local bar in a mini because he has some really ‘nicely’ photoshoped images in the net. Nothing personal, this is just a saying.

The way I see it.
Internet/freelance = networking, local jobs and medium budget. ‘Lets see what you get’
Agencies/Established organizations = top notch connections,  international jobs and the sky is the limit. ‘What you see is what you get’

The described above is maybe an exaggeration but holds a lot of truth I’ve encountered. No one guarantees success, but it is a shortcut to success we all try to find.

All I can say is, if you meet the demanding requirements of the competing international market in whatever field you work in, and you are determined, talented, ambitious, responsible and respectful…. AS WELL AS in the right place at the right time, your guaranteed to succeed. 

Right time and place….
If say a perfect Barbie model wanted to make it anywhere, her right place would be in NY before she turned 20, with an agency such as IMG/Ford/Elite for instance. That would be right time at the right place. We are responsible for that, its not just ‘luck’ its up to us.

Again, if you are happy where you are at then shut up and stop this thread. If you want the big bucks, find that ‘big apple’ in the industry you work in, say glamour or fashion and pursue it. If your goal is to be average, theres nothing to worry about, if not – just follow the standards, agency is the way (until your name is a brand).

Oh yeah, read my post ‘ULTIMATE LIST…….’ In the ‘site related discussion’ .
Im done.

May 24 05 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

KM - I've always been a fan of your accomplished portfolio but have not heard your words of wisdom. Very well put, very well indeed. It's great to see a model actually understand the business.

So when do the doors of KM Model Management open?

May 24 05 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Industrial Deco: 
In my area, EVERY agency I have talked to has been just a photomill and a school scam.

Self management is the way to go.

I meet alot of models from Ohio. They tend to go the bigger markets for representation. For instance, alot of girls are rep'd by Elite and Ford Chicago that live in Ohio and other surrounding areas.

May 24 05 08:39 am Link

Model

KARELEA

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Posted by Fred Brown: 
KM - I've always been a fan of your accomplished portfolio but have not heard your words of wisdom. Very well put, very well indeed. It's great to see a model actually understand the business.

So when do the doors of KM Model Management open?

(chuckle) he he, well not yet. First I've got to become established enough to have clients come to me wink

May 24 05 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

michaelGIORDANO

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

Yep....become a booker first then climb your way up.  Not unusual.

May 24 05 09:27 pm Link

Model

Richmond, California, US

Interesting, KM...

In the world of the internet..anyone can become a model.

My goal was never fashion, however. I've been doing this since I was 13 and went from 'commercial' to what I am doing now..and its nothing but a hobby for me. If I really wanted to go after it, I would have years ago and picked up and moved to New York..but it all seemed quite vapid and vain to me..

5'7, silicone boobs, tattoos and piercings...I may be...
(I wasn't taking that statement personally, btw...but its funny)
but I don't care.

I just read a bunch of joe edelman's stuff and now I am reconsidering this whole internet thing altogether.

It's a waste of time.

May 25 05 02:31 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Dan Hood: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

I'm talking about working with reped models.

It's why agency models often don't sign releases. The agency does. That's why in this state agencies must be licensed and bonded. They have power of attorney to sign on behave of a model. That's why models turn in a voucher book. The agency releases the models likeness when the payment to the agency has been made. 

Let me rephrase...the context was the assumption testing photographers and agency had about image usage for self-promotion, etc.

I u-n-d-e-r-stand. It's common sense that if I were a photographer on Agency A's list of approved photographers, and testing with one, or more of their models, I understand that a model release (for my purposes) is not required. I understand that model is from Agency A and that our testing is for model's and agency's behalf. Therefore, whether I was a freelance photographer, or not, I would not be in a position to require a model release.

Although, I never shot for an agency, it doesn't take rocket science and a degree for me to figure out that in my relationship with an agency, certain etiquettes and policies have to be followed.

May 25 05 03:35 am Link