Forums > Photography Talk > My first sunrise swimwear shoot -need advice

Retoucher

Charcoal Artist

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hi,

I'm doing my first swimwear shoot tomorrow at sunrise (around 6:00-7:00am).   I expect the marine layer will make the sky overcast and gray out the colors.    I will be shooting digitally.    I did a test this morning in preparation for tomorrow and I think the results are ok but I'm wondering if anybody who's done a sunrise beach shoot has any tips to make a better image? 

I'm thinking about using custom white balance and doing an amber WB shift to simulate a warming filter.

This is from todays
https://www.berumen.info/images/IMG_3942.JPG

Thanks in advance

Nov 26 05 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

If your camera will let you set your WB in kelvins, I would do that.. Other then that, gold reflector, preferably a soft gold and shoot in RAW so you can tweak as need be.. Might also find you will need to bump up the contrast a bit, too..

Good luck...

Nov 26 05 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

Try some bronzing agent and use your flash.

Nov 26 05 09:40 pm Link

Retoucher

Charcoal Artist

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Thanks for the tips, I'll bring a gold reflector, will ask the model to use a bronzing agent,

Keith aka Wolfie wrote:
If your camera will let you set your WB in kelvins, I would do that.. Other then that, gold reflector, preferably a soft gold and shoot in RAW so you can tweak as need be.. Might also find you will need to bump up the contrast a bit, too..

Good luck...

what color temperature would you recommend?

Nov 26 05 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

SFR

San Jose, California, US

I would say shoot raw so that color temperature doesn't matter and you can adjust that as you want after. Probably one or two gold reflectors would be nice for this I would think.

Nov 26 05 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Paul

Miami, Florida, US

This article helped me on my first sunrise shoot....  http://www.garageglamour.com/tips/artic … beauty.php
Good luck!

Nov 26 05 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

flash sync can be a problem sometimes if the amb light is say 1/500 to get the background expo the right way and you are using flash freaking nikon 1/125 on most camera ouch!!  I liked the Hasselblad at 1/500 sync   But mostly get a helper for gold disc and prep work   Oil too baby oil and then water bottle sprayer for that wet look

Nov 26 05 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

If I was on the west coast I would shoot at sunset instead of sunrise.

Nov 26 05 09:56 pm Link

Retoucher

Charcoal Artist

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Thanks for all the advice,  I know I should shoot at sunset on the west but we have schedule conflicts (and there's less people at dawn)

I gotta run errands but I'll check in later.  the garageglamour article explained many of the things I wanted to know

Nov 26 05 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

ChrisPaul- Chrispimages

Los Angeles, California, US

first things first shoot in raw just incase your wb is of especially since it will be changing by the minute practically id also bring soe reflectors and an asistant to hold for you to get a better fill and avoid shadows and pray its not windy like it was here today ugh sand and cameras dont get along sand cameras and wind... can never be friends

Nov 26 05 10:10 pm Link

Retoucher

Charcoal Artist

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Thank you all for the help.  I'll try out your suggestions and post a few shots sometime tomorrow.

Nov 26 05 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

R E D  B U L L ! !  Lots of it!

Nov 27 05 04:11 am Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

Shoot raw for sure, use a color checker and a white grey card,  and just do the WB after.  Have fun, try some diferent angles and enjoy it.

Nov 27 05 04:15 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

CA Sunsets rock smile  Become very popular work for me...almost too much, but I can't resist bikini shoots smile  I haven't shot a sunrise though...if I did, I'd definately have to change beaches because the one I use has high cliffs that would block the rising sun anyhow.

Nov 27 05 04:52 am Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

Get a color meter for total accuracy or use a digital grey card in a few of the shots as the sun changes. Find a white thing to use as balance if you have none of the above and color correct the lot. Shoot RAW even if you have to borrow the CF cards.

Nov 27 05 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Get up an hour earlier than you think you need to.

Shoot RAW if you can. Shoot grey cards/color proofers at the start and along the way if you have them.  I've started to shoot my Macbeth color proofer for about every set up.  I do a custom grey balance for the shot, but it's also good to have a reference down the road.

Nov 27 05 06:30 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Make sure you have a lens hood, to help fight lens flare if you are shooting even in the neighboring direction of the sun.

Nov 27 05 09:18 am Link

Retoucher

Charcoal Artist

Phoenix, Arizona, US

What I learned from everybody's advice and the shoot

- get there early, allow extra time to build a rapport with the model.
- buy a hood for every lens I have
- Bring flags to cut glare and get the right shoot.
- no matter how empty the beach is, all the people will want to be exactly in the spot you choose if you have a good looking model.
- shoot in RAW format and bracket.
- stop and get some caffeine!! too bad the coffee shop didn't open till 7:00am

Dan Howell wrote:
Get up an hour earlier than you think you need to.

You are right,  I missed the sunrise by about 20 minutes.   I went ahead an did the shoot nonetheless and hope I will get some good images out of it.    These two images are jpg exports from the RAW files.

https://www.berumen.info/images/img_4107.jpg

https://www.berumen.info/images/img_4078.jpg

Nov 27 05 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

Wouldn't the potential advice be a bit different, depending on whether the sunrise shoot takes place on an east, west, northern, or southern coast?

I'm also curious what those differences in advice might be...

thanks,
Glen

Nov 27 05 03:25 pm Link