Forums > General Industry > WINTER/SNOW modeling shots in Wisconsin????

Photographer

Preserving Photos

Seattle, Washington, US

Any of you MM photographers or models have some winter/snow shots that worked out good for you??  Winter has now set in for northen Wisconsin and I would like to still do some modeling portfolio work.  Post a link to your MM site with some pics and please share advice.

Nov 27 05 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Here are a few images done in the snow.

https://pic1.modelmayhem.com/4/7/0/4/3/4375906dc71b5.jpg

https://www.eyeonyoumodels.com/promo/4mmayhem/IMG_6506.jpg

https://www.eyeonyoumodels.com/promo/4mmayhem/IMG_0601.jpg

As for advice, keep the model as warm as possible. Try to find a spot to shoot that is near warm shelter and shoot in short sessions so she can warm up.

Meter carefully. Personally, I meter of the models skin and adjust as needed from there. You can also meter off the snow and then open up about two stops or so.

Good luck with it!

Nov 27 05 12:23 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

It rained here, so its all melted away.   I would say make sure you keep those chemical handwarmers (like $0.25 a pop at Walgreens) on hand, as well as a nice warm cloak.  If you are able to have an assistant, between a couple of shots, drap the cloak around her shoulders and let her have the handwarmers.  Quick little things that you can throw on and off between shots. (Not EVERY shot, but I hope you know what I mean tongue)  Also working right outside a warm spot (even if its a running car with the heater on), would be GREAT.

Nov 27 05 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Preserving Photos

Seattle, Washington, US

Excellent winter scene shots!  That is really good advice on keeping the model warm between scenes.

Nov 27 05 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Preserving Photos

Seattle, Washington, US

Models:  What winter poses and settings would you be looking for to add to your portfolio that would be different and artistic?

Nov 27 05 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Preserving Photos

Seattle, Washington, US

What are some of your favorite winter settings that give the most impact without making it a winter holiday scene?

Nov 27 05 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

BPics at Home

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I had a great expirience with my "ice queen" model (my current profile image!)- we shot some in the studio and then headed out doors- I have a great shot of her on a rock in a river (right bedore she fell in and we were done for the day).  I would say the key to shooting out in the elements in the cold north is to find a model that has drive and determination to get the shot- freeze babies need not apply!

Nov 27 05 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

I've never done an outdoor Winter model photo session, but I expect to this year sometime. I have some other ideas in mind that I want to do this Winter on more conceptual themes. I did have a model back in '98 that wanted to do some nude photos in the snow, but our schedules never matched up to allow us to do it. I had in mind a frozen waterfall... would have been some very nice photos. Oh well... maybe another time...

But yeah, a warm cloak is a very good thing to have on hand, as well as shoes that she (or he) can wear but not be seen in the photos. I did photograph a girl when it was around 45 degrees out, and her fiance was standing just off camera with her coat so she could warm up between shots. I'd highly reccomend having an assistant along for just that reason alone.

Good luck with your shoot - I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun!

-Pat-

Nov 27 05 11:50 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I've always wanted to do a snowwy "up in a tree" shot...and I think I'm going to have the perfect tree this winter...hopfully I won't fall out of it again.   Go for something playful and sexy at the same time.  Maybe, depending on the snow, get your model in the middle of building a snowman?

Nov 28 05 12:09 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

All I've gotta say is...

BRR.

Nov 28 05 08:21 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I would love to find a deserted country type road with fresh fallen snow and stand there right in the middle nude.

It would be great.

but for now all I have is 30 mph wind....

http://tinypic.com/hx3m2c.jpg

Nov 28 05 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Model Sarah wrote:
I would love to find a deserted country type road with fresh fallen snow and stand there right in the middle nude.

It would be great.

but for now all I have is 30 mph wind....

http://tinypic.com/hx3m2c.jpg

I agree - that would be a great photo also (I'm a big fan of frozen waterfalls as well). The trick would be to somehow get you in the middle of the road with no footprints visable; that would be really cool and rather mysterious. Maybe I'll try something like that around here, assuming I can find a crazy enough model !

No real wind here but there's a major winter storm on the way after it being 52 degrees today... gotta love Minnesnowta! And to think I shot some outdoor nudes on Nov. 10th... Things can change very fast.

By the way - you have an awesome portfolio and congratulations on your publishing credits.

-Pat-

Nov 28 05 10:03 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Pat Thielen wrote:

I agree - that would be a great photo also (I'm a big fan of frozen waterfalls as well). The trick would be to somehow get you in the middle of the road with no footprints visable; that would be really cool and rather mysterious. Maybe I'll try something like that around here, assuming I can find a crazy enough model !

No real wind here but there's a major winter storm on the way after it being 52 degrees today... gotta love Minnesnowta! And to think I shot some outdoor nudes on Nov. 10th... Things can change very fast.

By the way - you have an awesome portfolio and congratulations on your publishing credits.

-Pat-

Thank you very much!

Minnesota is pretty much a colder version of Ohio...

Crazy winter this year... let's see how many alleys i can get nude in!

Nov 29 05 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Preserving Photos

Seattle, Washington, US

Winter scenes can be tricky to shoot with the glare from the white snow.  I also have to warm up the images to balance the blue.

Dec 04 05 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Preserving Photos

Seattle, Washington, US

I wonder do most Wisconsin photographers just move their shoots indoors for the winter?  There must be a good balance of shoots outdoors in natural light situations.

Dec 04 05 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

nickb2

Anaheim, California, US

I used to be a Wisconsin photographer and I know how cold it gets in Wisconsin.That is why I moved myself and my family to California.

Dec 05 05 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Preserving Photos

Seattle, Washington, US

I especially like the contrast between the model's warm skin and the harsh coldness of the snow.  It brings out the model's softness.

Feb 18 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Preserving Photos

Seattle, Washington, US

I have a shoot coming up in a week or so here in Wisconsin.  Does anyone have some of thier favorite winter portraits they can link us to????

Feb 18 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Well... I was scheduled to do a winter shoot today, but the -25 degree windchill put an end to that folly. I don't know when I'll be rescheduling it as now the people's schedules don't match up (model, MUA, assistant). Hopefully soon, I haven't been doing much photography lately and I need to be doing something. And hey - good luck on your shoot; I hope it goes well!

-P-

Feb 18 06 05:35 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

As soon as you mented interesting shoots in the snow I thought about high fashion on the farm type of thing.  Find a deserted or very quiet farm where the snow has left its mark and go at it with models in classy winter clothes.  Something like snow meets the show Green Acres.

Feb 19 06 02:44 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Ross

Naperville, Illinois, US

I'm in northern Illinois-- so I know how you feel!  Had a shoot about a month ago for a hair stylist.  Here's one of the shots:

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=43a4c5f149a63

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/jeffreyworks/Allison_snow2.jpg

I'm all fine for shooting in the snow.  But I'm originally a Florida boy, and I'm just dyin' for some warm, tropical weather! 

-- Jeffrey

Feb 19 06 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Preserving Photos

Seattle, Washington, US

I plan on shooting near the town of Rhinelander, Wisconsin and will look for some frozen rivers and some artistic ice formations.

Feb 20 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Preserving Photos

Seattle, Washington, US

What are some thoughts on color?  It would seem any bright color that would stand out from the natural backdrop would make the model "pop".

Feb 20 06 05:11 pm Link