Forums > General Industry > Self Portraits & Portfolios

Photographer

XtremeArtists

This starts out long and rambly, so I've put a * to denote the actual question if you're in a rush.

I find that musicians, painters, poets, and photographers, and all artists, share one thing in common: They all create self portraits.

I don't mean the obvious self portraits. I'm talking about using someone's entire body of work, however large or small, to paint an image of the creator.

For example, based on who I am, I choose to shoot specific subjects, in a specific way. I seek out specific opportunities, commercial or artistic.

When putting together a portfolio, sometimes it's hard to seperate yourself from your work.

For models, their portfolio should not be about who they are, but what they can do. A model's portfolio should be her resume.

The same holds true for a photographer – it's a resume.

*My question is: As photographers, models, or MUAs, how do we make a distiction between art and commerce? Is there a difference?

May 23 05 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Johnson Studios

Wausau, Wisconsin, US

Hey great thread starter!

I agree a portfolio is a resume. It shows what you can do and if you put the portfolio together right, it should tell the viewer alot about you as a photographer.

I also agree that it's hard to seperate yourself from your work , that's why I show my work to a variety of people, fellow photogs., models, the mailman. Alright I was kidding about the mailman.

As for the ultimate question, I think it's hard to tell the difference between the two.

May 23 05 07:23 pm Link

Model

Tanya Valiente

Miami, Florida, US

everything you do should be art smile

May 23 05 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Most of the time, when photographers do self portraits, they put it in thier portfolios.  It's funny because in most cases, not all, it isn't the photographer who is taking the picture.

May 23 05 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Actually, I have set up shots and had someone else push the shutter before. I've also put the camera on a timer, and used a remote.

Not that you asked, but I don't like any method. It does kind of go back to my original point, because these shots are of what I look like, but they are not really about me, unless I set up the shot from start to finish.

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
Most of the time, when photographers do self portraits, they put it in thier portfolios.  It's funny because in most cases, not all, it isn't the photographer who is taking the picture.

May 23 05 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by XtremeArtists ®: 

*My question is: As photographers, models, or MUAs, how do we make a distiction between art and commerce? Is there a difference?

Yes Art was here before commerce!
So at one time an artist was pure!!
Now If there is no pay there is no Art!!
Some one has been sold out!!

May 27 05 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

This is a complete surprise to me! 

I took my own self-portrait.  (And doesn't that sound redundant?)  The Rolleiflex in the image is just a prop.  The taking camera is my 4x5 view camera.  I tripped the shutter with a very long shutter cable held in my right hand.

If someone else takes the picture, is it still a self-portrait?  Okay, you composed the image.  But you didn't choose the moment, did you?  That choice lies at the heart of what we do.  I don't think you can delegate it, and still claim credit for the image.

Sanders McNew
www.mncew.net

May 27 05 03:43 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I've been convinced that "credit" rests with s/he who presses the button.

May 27 05 03:46 pm Link

Model

sarahlouise

London, England, United Kingdom

i just can't seem to seperate my passion from corporate. With my graphics i always turn everything into something I love doing whilst trying to fit the brief at the same time. If I'm not feeling what I'm doing it won't be half as good.

May 27 05 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

Posted by XtremeArtists ®: [snip]... distiction between art and commerce? Is there a difference?

None if you take the view that art has a value (it does IMO). If you don't then it's called self indulgence and by definition you don't care what the rest of us think.

May 27 05 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

Posted by piers: 

Posted by XtremeArtists ®: [snip]... distiction between art and commerce? Is there a difference?

None if you take the view that art has a value (it does IMO). If you don't then it's called self indulgence and by definition you don't care what the rest of us think.

A breathtaking statement.  You've just damned entire galleries of art as exercises in either mercantilism or  self-indulgence.  The equation art=value=commerce is not always true.  Not all value is commercial.  Nor is self-indulgence the only alternative. 

Sanders McNew
www.mcnew.net

May 27 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Randy S Drake

Anaheim, California, US

I've done 2 self portrait's, both time's my finger was on the button and I did the rendering to them. I did them to try and tell a story of my abilitie's and vision. And also to give people the opperatunity to have their own opinion's
on what they see in it, and hopefully see something new each time they view it.
If you don't do it yourself then it's not a self portrait.

May 27 05 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

You've used some tricksy working, XA, and it has caused some discussions that are unrelated to what you were originally asking.

In college, I took a drawing class where we were assigned a semester-long self-portrait project.  One kid said that his art was the best way to represent himself, so he presented that as his self-portrait.  I thought it was a cop out.  And when it came to the critiques, he was never able to fully explain HOW his art constituted a self-portrait.

As artists, we need to keep a certain distance from our work in order to stay objective (even in its subjectivity, if that makes any sense).  We need to let go of some of the emotional involvement with it in order to be able to see what we have really done and how to improve it. 

You are not your work.  There is a great deal of you and your personality REFLECTED in your work, but the distinction must be made.  And if you keep proper separation from your art, further separation from your commerce is much simpler...

----And as for the photographer being the person who pushes the button, what about Matisse's "The Snail"?  It was constructed by his assistants under his direction.  Matisse did all the creative work, but little of the physical work, and that is why it belongs to him.  Whoever decides what is in the frame and why is the photographer in my book.

May 27 05 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Chelsea Harris

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

I did all of my self portraits myself.. mostly did a lot of them because at the time I was having trouble finding tfp.

May 27 05 07:55 pm Link

Model

Atreides

Saint James, Minnesota, US

I was having trouble finding TFP too, Chelsea, becuase no one would work with me unless they saw photos.  So I did a lot of mine with a tripod and some of them just holding the camera. I have taken extensive photography classes both in high school and college so I knew how to do it, but I think it is becoming more commonplace to have self-portraits on online portfolios!

By the way, yours are amazing, Chelsea.

-Atreides

May 27 05 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Atreides: 
I was having trouble finding TFP too, Chelsea, becuase no one would work with me unless they saw photos.

this didn't surprise you did it?

May 27 05 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Chelsea Harris

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

Posted by Atreides: 
I was having trouble finding TFP too, Chelsea, becuase no one would work with me unless they saw photos.  So I did a lot of mine with a tripod and some of them just holding the camera. I have taken extensive photography classes both in high school and college so I knew how to do it, but I think it is becoming more commonplace to have self-portraits on online portfolios!

By the way, yours are amazing, Chelsea.

thank you, I like yours a lot too. I have never taken photography classes but I want to!

xo

-Atreides

May 27 05 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by theda: 

Once the photographer has chosen the lighting, background, camera settings, pose, and placed the camera on a tripod thereby composing the shot, I wonder what is the difference between using a timer, a remote, or an assistant to activate the camera's shutter.

May 28 05 07:04 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by sarahlouise: 
i just can't seem to seperate my passion from corporate. With my graphics i always turn everything into something I love doing whilst trying to fit the brief at the same time. If I'm not feeling what I'm doing it won't be half as good. 

I find this to be true with everything creative that I do. If I am not passionate about it, the work will suffer.

May 28 05 07:05 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by piers: 

As long as the value of art is more than a mere monetary sum, we are in agreement.

May 28 05 07:08 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Brian Diaz:
You are not your work.  There is a great deal of you and your personality REFLECTED in your work, but the distinction must be made.  And if you keep proper separation from your art, further separation from your commerce is much simpler...

Very well expressed.

May 28 05 07:10 am Link

Photographer

DBatesPhoto

LACEYS SPRING, Alabama, US

Posted by theda: 

Once the photographer has chosen the lighting, background, camera settings, pose, and placed the camera on a tripod thereby composing the shot, I wonder what is the difference between using a timer, a remote, or an assistant to activate the camera's shutter.

I was about to say almost exactly the same thing. I have shot using mirrors, timers, releases, remotes and someone else actually pressing the button.

One of my favorite photos is me with a good friend. I only partially consider it a self portrait because a friend actually pressed the button and released the shutter, but it is almost identical to  the shot I took of him a few moments before after I set up the lights, put the camera on the tripod, framed and focused the shot.

Others might say that technically using a timer is doing the  same thing we pressed the button, but the timer actually released the shutter.

May 28 05 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

Posted by Donald Bates: 

Posted by theda: 

I was about to say almost exactly the same thing. I have shot using mirrors, timers, releases, remotes and someone else actually pressing the button.

One of my favorite photos is me with a good friend. I only partially consider it a self portrait because a friend actually pressed the button and released the shutter, but it is almost identical to  the shot I took of him a few moments before after I set up the lights, put the camera on the tripod, framed and focused the shot.

Others might say that technically using a timer is doing the  same thing we pressed the button, but the timer actually released the shutter. 

I think there's a big difference.  With a self-timer, you set it, you know how long it will run.  To the extent you do not control the precise moment, it is a random consequence of the timer you have set in motion.  It does not have the intermediate judgment of another choosing when to trip the shutter. 

It is that judgment that matters.  Every photographer understands how many dozens of expressions cross a person's face in the span of one second.  When you put the shutter in another's hands, you delegate the selection of which of those expressions to freeze in the image.  It is an overworked phrase, but you are letting somebody else pick the decisive moment, and at that moment, I think, you lose the right to claim authoriship of the image.

Sanders McNew
www.mcnew.net

May 28 05 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

You make a good point, but it's based on delegating "the selection of which of those expressions to freeze in the image."

I think a still life or product shot shows there is something beyond pushing the shutter to capture the decisive moment and claim authorship of an image.

Also, if a series of images is taken, and a photographer selects one, has he really delegated that much?

I don't see a clear enough distinction between the contribution of a timer and a human in a self portrait or any image.

I also think there is more to lens selection, location selecton, and other stylistic choices than your point allows. There are many choices any author makes that give his work its specific style.

An author does not need to be a performer, just the creator.

In classical music, a composer is still the author of his creation, despite the contribution of the musicians and the director.

I see a connection between the element of time in music, and the decisive moment in photography, and the importance of both.

In both cases I think the author is the creator of the composition. In both cases it is the author's vision that has been captured.

Posted by Sanders McNew: 

Posted by Donald Bates: 

Posted by theda: 

I think there's a big difference.  With a self-timer, you set it, you know how long it will run.  To the extent you do not control the precise moment, it is a random consequence of the timer you have set in motion.  It does not have the intermediate judgment of another choosing when to trip the shutter. 

It is that judgment that matters.  Every photographer understands how many dozens of expressions cross a person's face in the span of one second.  When you put the shutter in another's hands, you delegate the selection of which of those expressions to freeze in the image.  It is an overworked phrase, but you are letting somebody else pick the decisive moment, and at that moment, I think, you lose the right to claim authoriship of the image.

Sanders McNew
www.mcnew.net

May 28 05 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by theda: 

It has everything to do with who pushes the button..

May 28 05 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

While it might be nice to debate the matter of who is the author is as if it is only a purely artistic point,  you might want to consider it is actually a legal matter too - and arguably that is of greater significance if this is how you pay the rent.

We constantly face pressure from clients trying to claim copyright on our work just because they commissioned the shoot, art directed it, paid for the film, hired the eqipment, provided the subject matter etc etc - all; of which is BS but that doesn't stop them trying.

Most of the posters here are working under US copyright law and while it is pretty similar to the law here I'm not going to presume it is identical so please bear that in mind with what follows. The act we have does not specifiy what it takes to be considered the author of a photograph - the generally given term is "the photographer" and it is left at that. Not "the person who pressed the shutter". If it were the later we would have seen a load of assistants trying to claim rights they don't have.

May 28 05 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

So far the consensus seems to be that everything a photographer does should be art, but if he wants to pay the bills he should make art secondary...

Posted by piers: 
While it might be nice to debate the matter of who is the author is as if it is only a purely artistic point,  you might want to consider it is actually a legal matter too - and arguably that is of greater significance if this is how you pay the rent.

We constantly face pressure from clients trying to claim copyright on our work just because they commissioned the shoot, art directed it, paid for the film, hired the eqipment, provided the subject matter etc etc - all; of which is BS but that doesn't stop them trying.

Most of the posters here are working under US copyright law and while it is pretty similar to the law here I'm not going to presume it is identical so please bear that in mind with what follows. The act we have does not specifiy what it takes to be considered the author of a photograph - the generally given term is "the photographer" and it is left at that. Not "the person who pressed the shutter". If it were the later we would have seen a load of assistants trying to claim rights they don't have.

May 28 05 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by piers: 

Legaly you are right!
in terms of actual pushing the shutter..it is that person who takes the shot..
i dont care who sets up the shot..because when it comes to clickin the shutter.some one has to do it right..
If you are at a shoot and some one else sets up the scene shoots it with a 10,000 dollar camera..and some one is standing behind him with a holga Who owns the shot and who has the better shot?

May 28 05 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

You make a good point, but it's based on delegating "the selection of which of those expressions to freeze in the image."

I think a still life or product shot shows there is something beyond pushing the shutter to capture the decisive moment and claim authorship of an image.

Also, if a series of images is taken, and a photographer selects one, has he really delegated that much?

I don't see a clear enough distinction between the contribution of a timer and a human in a self portrait or any image.
[snip]

Several points:

First, a still life or a product shot is not a portrait.  A portrait is all about capturing something fleeting in a living, complex, animate subject.  Timing is everything in portraiture.  No so in a product shot or a still life. 

Second, the fact that the photographer chooses from a selection does not make him the one who created the options in the first place.  By the same analogy, does an editor have the right to claim authorship in an image because she chooses it from the portfolio put on her desk?

Third, a self-timer is different because there is no artistic judgment made as to the timing of the shutter.  The artistic judgment at work is the photographer's in choosing the randomness of a timed shutter fire.  Put a person's thumb on the button and that person will wait for a moment she finds opportune.  Her judgment, in the end, chooses the moment, and the element of randomness is lost. 

Sanders McNew
www.mcnew.net

May 28 05 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I see your point, and regardless of the poisoned thoughts of those who only worry about copyright and commerce, I think that there is more to being an author than pressing a button. Any GWC can press a button, but composing a shot, selecting a subject, finding a suitable location, setting up lighting, choosing a theme, selecting wardrobe, picking a lens, selecting an apature, putting together a set, etc... are all things that I consider to be part of the work of an author.

When I create an image, no matter how simple or complex, it has already been created in my mind before it is captured by the camera. There are no surprises in my photos.

It is my idea. At the moment that I have conceived and planned the shot, I am the author.

Posted by Sanders McNew: 

[snip]

Several points:

First, a still life or a product shot is not a portrait.  A portrait is all about capturing something fleeting in a living, complex, animate subject.  Timing is everything in portraiture.  No so in a product shot or a still life. 

Second, the fact that the photographer chooses from a selection does not make him the one who created the options in the first place.  By the same analogy, does an editor have the right to claim authorship in an image because she chooses it from the portfolio put on her desk?

Third, a self-timer is different because there is no artistic judgment made as to the timing of the shutter.  The artistic judgment at work is the photographer's in choosing the randomness of a timed shutter fire.  Put a person's thumb on the button and that person will wait for a moment she finds opportune.  Her judgment, in the end, chooses the moment, and the element of randomness is lost. 

Sanders McNew
www.mcnew.net

May 29 05 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

I see your point, and regardless of the poisoned thoughts of those who only worry about copyright and commerce, I think that there is more to being an author than pressing a button. Any GWC can press a button, but composing a shot, selecting a subject, finding a suitable location, setting up lighting, choosing a theme, selecting wardrobe, picking a lens, selecting an apature, putting together a set, etc... are all things that I consider to be part of the work of an author.

When I create an image, no matter how simple or complex, it has already been created in my mind before it is captured by the camera. There are no surprises in my photos.

It is my idea. At the moment that I have conceived and planned the shot, I am the author.

Fair enough.  I don't mean to suggest that tripping the shutter is the only defining task of a photographer's work -- of course a photographer does much more than that.  My only point is that in portraiture, the choice of moments captured is at the heart of the photographer's job.  I was reading last night about how Avedon created his portraits in his American West series.  He was shooting with a Deardorff 8x10-inch camera, and would stand next to the lens and engage his subject  while his assistants would be loading and unloading the film holders.  But it was Avedon's thumb on the shutter cable button.

May 29 05 04:06 pm Link