Forums > Photography Talk > [NYC] Anyone seek up on the high line to take pics

Photographer

Eddie Song Photography

New York, New York, US

Anyone ever sneak up on the NYC high line (that elevated railroad that starts from Horatio and snakes up 10th Ave through the meat packing district?

In my portfolio, there's 2 pics from the OHNY.org High line exhibit that I stuck my camera out the window from the gallery space they rented adjacent to it.  But I'd love to get some actual shots standing on the elevated railway...  I found a few sites that shows how to get up there (trespassing obviously).  Anyone here even attempted such a thing?  Just curious, since I'm really tempted.  LOL

Nov 28 05 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

First off, the advice i am about to give is at your own risk and legally shouldn't be used. however, for the purposes of art where nobody gets hurt as a result of it, i think a little tresspassing is ok. now that that's covered:
As an ex-master of sneaking into places i'm not suppoed to be (hey you gotta do something instead of going to class in high school right?) i have a few tips for anyone attempting to sneak:

1) non descript clothing. that way if someone reports you, they won't be able to remember what you look like as well (probability)
2) diagonal cutters with a good steel on their blades (sometimes it helps)
3) wart remover spray from your nearest drug store - freezes locks so when you tap them with a hammer they fall apart. best on pad locks. same principle as dropping bread dough - when it's softer it will dent, when it's colder and more frozen it will shatter
4) a good knife with a sharp edge. i have always loved benchmades and spydercos
5) thin gloves - you want to be able to work, but leave no fingerprints just in case. tresspasing is criminal - you don't want incriminating evidence
6) if you have a ccw permit - leave the gun at home
7) rope 300 pound tested, nice and wide - if it's too narrow it will cut into your hands. tie large knots in it to make climbing easier. drop down to areas that you don't feel safe jumping to, climb up when you're leaving.
8) running shoes - they're quiet, stick in chainlink fences when you're climbing over better than other shoes, and don't get stuck inside as much as pointed boots
9) an old jacket. go to a second hand store and buy a leather jacket for 10-20 dollars that you wouldn't mind destroying by accident or ditching if you're being chased for trespassing. helps if there are barbed wire fences
10) multimeter from an electronic store - check if fences are electrified
11) books from your library on security systems - read a few to get an idea of what to look for

Nov 28 05 05:01 am Link

Photographer

ericphotonyc

Brooklyn, New York, US

Try contacting:

http://www.thehighline.org/

Maybe they can get you access.

Nov 28 05 08:57 am Link

Photographer

H. Robert Holmes

TALL TIMBERS, Maryland, US

Alexei Fomin wrote:
First off, the advice i am about to give is at your own risk and legally shouldn't be used. however, for the purposes of art where nobody gets hurt as a result of it, i think a little tresspassing is ok. now that that's covered:
As an ex-master of sneaking into places i'm not suppoed to be (hey you gotta do something instead of going to class in high school right?) i have a few tips for anyone attempting to sneak:

1) non descript clothing. that way if someone reports you, they won't be able to remember what you look like as well (probability)
2) diagonal cutters with a good steel on their blades (sometimes it helps)
3) wart remover spray from your nearest drug store - freezes locks so when you tap them with a hammer they fall apart. best on pad locks. same principle as dropping bread dough - when it's softer it will dent, when it's colder and more frozen it will shatter
4) a good knife with a sharp edge. i have always loved benchmades and spydercos
5) thin gloves - you want to be able to work, but leave no fingerprints just in case. tresspasing is criminal - you don't want incriminating evidence
6) if you have a ccw permit - leave the gun at home
7) rope 300 pound tested, nice and wide - if it's too narrow it will cut into your hands. tie large knots in it to make climbing easier. drop down to areas that you don't feel safe jumping to, climb up when you're leaving.
8) running shoes - they're quiet, stick in chainlink fences when you're climbing over better than other shoes, and don't get stuck inside as much as pointed boots
9) an old jacket. go to a second hand store and buy a leather jacket for 10-20 dollars that you wouldn't mind destroying by accident or ditching if you're being chased for trespassing. helps if there are barbed wire fences
10) multimeter from an electronic store - check if fences are electrified
11) books from your library on security systems - read a few to get an idea of what to look for

Dude, You can come to my next party!

Nov 28 05 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Eddie Song Photography

New York, New York, US

already contacted them...  They no longer give permits to shoot due to an exclusivity agreement with another photographer who has the only photos/book on the highline.  (incidently his book sells for $40 for a mere 18 pages of pictures, and I was enraged)

Disclaimer: below is completely theoretical and hypothetical.  I'm not premeditating anything.

An idea that a few other people had was to pose as a surveyor as they're planning to turn the high line into a park and shopping mall.  Tripod could easily be argued as survey equipment and a $5 hardhat and reflective orange vest would be dismissed by most as utility workers/surveyors.

Social engineering at its best.  Act like you belong there.  smile

(also no need to destroy property to get up there.  After digging on google, theres a gas station that you can pay off and get on their roof to climb up to the railway)

Nov 28 05 01:10 pm Link