Forums > Photography Talk > 25 of the best photography tips ever

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Get a camera bag big enough to hold all your stuff, and always put your stuff away when you're finished.  I'm not perfect at this, but I try to keep my camera bag in such a state that when I'm shooting on location, I grab my camera bag and know that both bodies, all the lenses, memory cards, lens cloths, batteries, light meter, etc. are all in there.  There should be no reason for last minute hunts and searches for your stuff before you leave.

Yeah, the bag is kind of big 'n heavy, but it's nice to have all the stuff in one place.

Also, shadows are good.  Shadows can be your friend.  Don't light stuff in an attempt to eliminate all the shadows.  You're not lighting a supermarket.

Nov 30 05 10:41 am Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Sell your gear and take a trip to Hawaii. Buy some postcards while you are there and then Photoshop the words out. Tell your friends you took the pictures. Dont worry about getting sued.....you already sold your gear and spent all your money on the trip to Hawaii.

Nov 30 05 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Minski

Olympia, Washington, US

1.  Bracket, bracket, bracket!

2. single ply toilet paper over the flash if the model is too close (useful knowledge in some situations.)

3. Kill yellow bulbs

4. never in direct sun/high sun - kills all shadow values - bleaches everything out.

5. KNOW YOU FILM AND WHAT THEY DO!!  Ex.  Fugi produces awesome blues.

Nov 30 05 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Minski

Olympia, Washington, US

C R Photography wrote:
Smoke cigarettes.
Buy a BMW.
Use $10.00 words.
Shave your head.
Grow a goat.
Wear black.
Talk softly.
Buy a gun.
Turn Vegan.
Speak with an accent.
Date models.
Buy a small dog.
Drink tons of coffee.
Sleep in late.
Listen to acid jazz.
Wear cheap cologne.
Read Kerouac and Ginsberg.

Then go out, get a nice camera and that's it!

Are you sure your not a model? *raising brow*

Nov 30 05 11:05 am Link

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

A model is not a till-life.  Talk to her/him.  If there is no rapport it will show in the picture.

Whenever possible use a MUA. 

The rest has been covered very well but I'll second two that are critical for me

Make sure the eyes are sharp

Don't assume it can be fixed in PS later

Nov 30 05 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

When you are shooting full length shots of a model standing, get that camera down to about her waist level.

I see photos all the time where the photographer shot from eye level and had to tilt the camera down which makes the model's legs look shorter than they actually are. The effect is more pronounced when you are closer to the model.

This is usuallly not the effect that the model wants.

Nov 30 05 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Bill Gunter wrote:
When you are shooting full length shots of a model standing, get that camera down to about her waist level.

I see photos all the time where the photographer shot from eye level and had to tilt the camera down which makes the model's legs look shorter than they actually are. The effect is more pronounced when you are closer to the model.

Thanks for this. I hadn't really thought about that. smile

Nov 30 05 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

The one rule most often broken shooting models that can not be justified:

--Do not shoot a model without using a make-up artist.

Nov 30 05 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

BasementStudios wrote:

Craig Thomson wrote:
I'm not shooting in a motel. The two adjacent walls in my studio are dark, not white painted. I use reflectors to add bounced light under the chin or behind arms and such to fill in darker areas. 

But to answer your post about moving the model away from the wall, I've been told to move the light closer to the model for softer shadows. But I'm new and could be wrong.

Nope you're right.....getting the light closer will give you softer shadows, but your model should be at least 6 feet away from the background.

The only problem with a close light source is that the fall off can be real bad, blowing your highlights and loosing detail in the shadows that are furthest from the source (as soft as they may be).  To get around this I feather a semi-close light source, but you could use a larger source further from the subject.

Nov 30 05 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

JMX Photography wrote:

The only problem with a close light source is that the fall off can be real bad, blowing your highlights and loosing detail in the shadows that are furthest from the source (as soft as they may be).  To get around this I feather a semi-close light source, but you could use a larger source further from the subject.

Yep...that works too....there are adjustments and allowances for every technique. 

You can pick up any 5 books on lighting and all 5 will give you different techniques to achieve the same results.

Nov 30 05 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

Sunny 16 rule is basically, F-16 and match the shutter to your ISO, or change it in balance from that point.

F-8 is usually in the shadows on a sunny day, but the color temp could be from 6000-10K kelvin

Use the clock method.

Model subject is ALWAyS center dial, camera is 06:00 position, Background is 12:00 position.
main light moves about 03:00-09:00, Accent moves the rest of the way (10-02:00)

Above eyes at 06:00 position is butterfly or beauty, centered is usually fill, below is monster light.

Always respect your model and craft, we all need repeat customers and good references...

Last, Give her the Damn CD of her pics...
LOL!!!

Nov 30 05 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Imagemakersphoto

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

A few I did not see here yet.

1. Be early!

A client does not care about the abnormal trafic you got stuck in. You can always sit in your care or walk around to kill off extra time, but I try to get to (or into) the location I am actualy shooting at and scout it out (lighting, background, power, .....).

2. Show respect

You do not know who the other person knows or what their job will be in the future. Even if you have to work with some one you loath, show respect and be professional. It may save your butt down the road or get you more work.

3. Keep extra batteries with you even if you know the ones you have are good.

4. Get and keep your paperwork. Learn to file it in a way you can find it if it is ever needed. This goes for your images as well. File them so you can find them years later when a client asks to re-use them.

Bryan

Nov 30 05 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

1) Measure twice, cut once.... oops wrong forum. I MEANT double check the shot especially the background AND the lighting.

2) Have an extra battery for your camera's light meter. Yeah I know they last forever, but...

3) Make the model comfortable...you'll both be the better for it. And so will the photos.

4) Borrow, I mean review others' works.

5) Accept suggestions and critiques with a professional attitude!

6) Listen to the model; they have good suggestions about what works.

Nov 30 05 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Bill Gunter wrote:

Good old lens distortion, a lens is not going to see the way our eye sees. Bill gave good advise here, I see that mistake in a lot of photos. You usually want to shoot the model by splitting her along the lens axis - in other words, full length, camera pointing toward her midsection as Bill said.

You can use that to your advantage by doing the reverse. Shoot a full length body shot from a lower angle and slightly (I do mean slightly) tilt the camera upward, this will add a little length to the model's legs. if you pay attention, you can see this in the viewfinder.
Jeff

Nov 30 05 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
1.  Expose each frame like it is the only one you have.

2.  Do not blame the equipment, film, model, weather, government, God, Devil, or your mother for a bad photograph.  It is your fault.  Figure out what went wrong, then do it right next time.

3.  Vertical images have more use than horizontals.  Start with the camera vertical.

4.  All those rules about thirds and the Golden Mean can be approximated by not centering anything.

5.  Keep the viewer's eye inside the frame by not providing an easy path of escape.  If you can't do this in camera, do it post-prod.

6.  The soul is in the eyes.  Critical focus on the pupils is important.

7.  Do not depend on PhotoShop (or darkroom) to fix a bad image.  You might fool someone else, but you can't fool yourself.  Make the image good in-camera and make it better in PS (or DR).

8.  Do not purchase something that you do not specifically need.  And only then if you can't rent it.  The only thing you can buy to make better photographs is an education.

9.  Money talks - bullshit walks.  The best compliment to your work is when someone will give you money for it.

10.  Do your next shoot exposing only a dozen frames.  That takes luck out of the equation.

-Don

(Seems to me that ten is more than enough, and probably more than can be remembered when shooting anyway.)

#10 for sure.

Nov 30 05 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Minski wrote:
Are you sure your not a model? *raising brow*

Is there a perpendicular demitting difference?
*spoken in broken French*

Nov 30 05 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

when i was shooting film i forgot to put film in the camera
after unloading a roll....shot about 20 shots.....

but heres some that most of it is should be common sense
for us pros// but heres some things i have heard from models :

**(gwc's) make sure your not superhorny before going to a shoot !!!

dont hit on the models with their 300 lb 6' husband is standing there....lol ...morons

make sure you take a dump before going out on location**
(great when theres no toliets) ....

bring bottled water when shooting on location one for you one for them they'll love you for it..

dont eat anything that could give a stomach ache before the shoot eat something simple...

dont get drunk before a shoot....lol that one was no brainer but when she told me the whole story it was funny as hell...lol

if married dont have a fight before leaving the wife before a shoot ....

if you have to fart do it down wind...not up wind...lol

Nov 30 05 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

While I'm here - these are the best pieces of advise I can give.

1. When learning lighting, start with one light/one reflector and learn every nuance of this combination - if you can't do it with one light/one reflector, more lights won't make it better.

2. Get it right in the camera! Then use photoshop to enhance the photo. As Ansel Adams said "The negative is comparable to the composer's score and the print to its performance". There is nothing wrong with using photoshop to enhance a photo but it has to be good to begin with.

3. While it is very important to learn and use all the rules of photography and lighting, it is more important to know when to break the rules.

4. If you are going to use photoshop (or any other image editing software), take the time and learn how to use it. There is nothing worse than seeing badly edited images in a photographer's portfolio, no matter how good their photography is, badly edited images gives them an amateur look (TIP: Don't use the smear tool!).

Jeff

Nov 30 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

BasementStudios wrote:

Great post!  Number 7.....a big think now is to take the shot and fix it later, I've heard too many photographers say that exact thing.

Yep,...I have to agree.. I have something like that above, but I like the way he worded it a lot better.. because PS does have it's place for sure..  smile

JP

Nov 30 05 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

H. Robert Holmes

TALL TIMBERS, Maryland, US

This is rapidly becoming my favorite thread!

Nov 30 05 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

area291 wrote:
The one rule most often broken shooting models that can not be justified:

--Do not shoot a model without using a make-up artist.

Never had a need for a make up artist. That's probably cause I shoot models, not their make-ups.

Nov 30 05 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

I largely agree with the Photoshop advice, in that one shouldn't take sloppy pictures and rely on Photoshop to fix all the details, but Photoshop does have its well-deserved place. Some of the images I create would be very impractical, if not impossible, to realize without Photoshop. Take a look at my portfolio, if you don't know what I mean. Several of those shots rely on creative manipulation which is best done in Photoshop.

take care,
Glen

Nov 30 05 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Glen Berry wrote:
I largely agree with the Photoshop advice, in that one shouldn't take sloppy pictures and rely on Photoshop to fix all the details, but Photoshop does have its well-deserved place. Some of the images I create would be very impractical, if not impossible, to realize without Photoshop. Take a look at my portfolio, if you don't know what I mean. Several of those shots rely on creative manipulation which is best done in Photoshop.

take care,
Glen

The old "garbage in - garbage out" (GIGO) saw applies.  No matter how you use PS, starting with good stuff going in will make the stuff coming out that much better.  I think this is what you said, but you sound as if someone has dissed the use of PS as a tool.  I don't think anyone has.

-Don

Nov 30 05 03:04 pm Link

Model

_Blip_

Tampa, Florida, US

StMarc wrote:
Composition is an incredibly powerful tool and one which takes years if not a lifetime to master.

I cannot agree more with the above statement. I've seen photographers with great technical ability who really fail to produce strong images because the composition is bad. I firmly feel that learning key art/design principles (composition, line, form, value, negative space and color harmony/contrast) is vital to producing extraordinary images. That's my $.02 input. wink

StMarc wrote:
Don't cut things off, including but not limited to model body parts and hair. If you just can't avoid having a tiny bit of a piece of furniture or a window or a pole or something enter the frame, clone it out later, don't leave it hanging in space.

I agree that poorly cropped images don't cut it. I think the key is getting what you want into the shot effectively, and making sure what you don't want in the shot remains out of it (via pre-production set up if possible, otherwise, in post-production editing). There's nothing wrong with cutting things off, so long as that is what is intended, and it's done effectively. IMO, nothing looks more odd than half of a building in the background of an otherwise well-composed image. wink

Great points!

Nov 30 05 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

MarkMarek wrote:
Never had a need for a make up artist. That's probably cause I shoot models, not their make-ups.

Interesting.  How does one successfully shoot fashion without make-up artistry?  One can try, but it ain't gonna happen...at least with any credibility.   In that world that becomes the difference between photographing models and picture taking.

Nov 30 05 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

BasementStudios wrote:
Great post!  Number 7.....a big think now is to take the shot and fix it later, I've heard too many photographers say that exact thing.

That's one of my pet peeves..."you can just fix that in PS." What I can (or cannot) do in PS, does not change my desire to have the image correct before post production. Why create extra work for yourself (or cost)?

Nov 30 05 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

fitpix

Prospect, Ohio, US

Hope I didn't miss this one in all the posts:

Having trouble with a difficult lighting situation and forgot your incident meter AND grey card?

Meter the palm of your hand and open one stop. Works for caucasions at least, not sure with other races.

Dec 01 05 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

area291 wrote:

Interesting.  How does one successfully shoot fashion without make-up artistry?  One can try, but it ain't gonna happen...at least with any credibility.   In that world that becomes the difference between photographing models and picture taking.

I avoid makeup artists as well.  I've never met a model who can't do their own makeup adequately...It's their face after all...

...But then I don't shoot fashion [I hate clothes actually], so there you go.

Dec 01 05 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

always think outside the box.
when shooting street scenes , look behind you  to see what you are not seeing.
charge as much as posible , you can ALWAYS come down , you can never bring the Price up.
  RETAIN YOUR COPYRIGHT!!!!

Dec 01 05 11:51 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
I avoid makeup artists as well.  I've never met a model who can't do their own makeup adequately...It's their face after all...

...But then I don't shoot fashion [I hate clothes actually], so there you go.

I don't normally do fashion either. Unless I'm shooting stuff for MUA (to show off his/her work) I see no need for one, other then distruct viewers attention from my crappy photography skills and let them at least say "Wow, cool make up" when they look at otherwise crappy photograph. As a photographer I see no need to demonstrate MUAs skills in my portfolio. I prefer to demonstrate my own (though I'm still learning this craft).

I would understand the use of MUA if you shoot for a magazine or the such. The whole team of people would be involved in making a photograph - great model, great photographer, great MUA, great hair stylist, great lighting tech, etc. Otherwise... I see no use for a MUA whatsoever. MUA can hire me though, if he/she wants pictures of his/her craft.

Mark

Dec 01 05 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

MarkMarek wrote:

I don't normally do fashion either.

You might be throwing people off with your profile starting:

Mark Marek:

Edmonton based fashion and fine art photographer.

Dec 01 05 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Brian Diaz wrote:

Brian,

it's always easy to withdraw a few sentences out of the whole to make someone look funny. I could also pick a part of your statement from here and then a part of another from there and when the two are put together they would make you look funny (except that I have life, so why would I want to do that). This is how they do those funny videos of George Bush - they cut a few words from his speach and add other words from his other speach to make him look like an ass. I'd be happy to discuss what other fellow photographers have to say about this topic, but if you'd rather play word games you will have find another 8 years old kid to join you.

Mark

PS - not that I care...

Dec 01 05 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

East Coast Visual Media

Altamonte Springs, Florida, US

I have found that some models do need help with thier makeup to fit the look you intend to create.  I guess this is the difference in some people's opinion of creating an image or capturing one.

Something that I've learned is don't listen to what the salesmen say at Ritz Camera (sorry to any of you who may).  I relatively new to this and have been misled numerous times by a few local stores and have relied on the open honesty of knowledgable people in the industry for better advice.

*If you have a question make sure you have researched it first to not waste thier time and yours!*

-Scott

Dec 01 05 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Always explore and test shoot a location by yourself prior to bringing a model there. Be observant of your surroundings and always watch for those that might be watching you.

Use the test shoot images to create a preview site in order to "sell" the location. A picture is worth 1000 words.

Never be quick to re-schedule a no-show model, even if they seem eager. Assume that they no-showed because they changed their minds about working with you, and that subsequent eagerness arises from guilt. Give the coward a way out, otherwise you will have a cornered coward (who can now turn vicious) to deal with.

Assume that gawkers will come out of the woodwork no matter how remote the location or tame the theme.

Dec 01 05 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Have no fear, especially if you're shooting on-location.

Know the rule of the 7 P's.

Find your own style, set yourself away from everyone else. The type of images they do may not work for you & vice versa.

Shoot anything & everything. Yes, photographing pretty girls is fun but a lot of them, my niece who's a freshman in High School can make those girls look hot. Can you produce an interesting composition of the rock in your backyard? What about your car engine? What about the cat that looks at you like your crazy when you try & shoo him away while he's drinking out of the leaky faucet?

Dec 01 05 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
Know the rule of the 7 P's.

What is the rule of the 7 Ps?

Dec 01 05 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Tavuk Hantaviro

Brian Diaz wrote:
What is the rule of the 7 Ps?

Point
Push
Pray
Peek
Point again
Push again
Pray again

Sincerely Yours,
Tavuk

Dec 01 05 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

C R Photography wrote:
Smoke cigarettes.
Buy a BMW.
Use $10.00 words.
Shave your head.
Grow a goat.
Wear black.
Talk softly.
Buy a gun.
Turn Vegan.
Speak with an accent.
Date models.
Buy a small dog.
Drink tons of coffee.
Sleep in late.
Listen to acid jazz.
Wear cheap cologne.
Read Kerouac and Ginsberg.

Then go out, get a nice camera and that's it!

ROTFLMAO!
I know someone just like that in Miami, but he doesn't own a gun and his cologne isn't cheap.

My tip is:
99% of the shoot is already done -before- the shutter is released.
Line up all your shots before the model is out of makeup. The shoot should be planned and executed no differently than storyboarding a $100 million Hollywood movie.

Dec 01 05 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

quietnow

Make damn sure there aren't idiots or stupid props in the background, that you only notice when you get to post-production. Somethings you just can not photoshop out no matter how hard you try.

Dec 01 05 07:46 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

MarkMarek wrote:
, but if you'd rather play word games you will have find another 8 years old kid to join you.

somebody call me.   I want to play leggos.   I am tired of playing dress up the mannequins.

I have nothing to add at the moment otherwise.

Dec 01 05 07:48 pm Link