This thread was locked on 2013-11-06 22:43:06
Forums > Model Colloquy > How much do you make.....? Playboy

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Taxes are taken out of the Playmates fees.
It is not paid in one lump sum, but rather in many small payments.

Also . . . don't forget the contract that Playmates have to sign stating that they can't have their own websites or model for anyone without PB's permission for at least 2 years after the date of publication . . . . not a very good deal if you ask me . . . . . and I shot centerfolds for them for 11 years.

KM

Ken -

Just wanted to say I have admired your work for a long time (probably 20 years or so.)

Sep 30 07 09:09 pm Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TheNormGallerys wrote:

Passed payments received from PB Inc.

Centerfold = $14,000.00 + personal appearance contract moneys.
Special Edition publications = $650.00 to $1500.00 per publication.
PB Inc. CyberClub web-sites = $650.00 to $750.00 per publication.

wrong.

Sep 30 07 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

yourphotographer wrote:

Maxim doesn't pay the model, but does pay 500 dollars to the photographer if the do print the picture. They offer a quarter page for the right picture. Very difficult to get accepted.

Celebrities that do shoot for Playboy are paid in the million dollar figure and not the 6 figure.

The guy who got me started was a contributing photographer about 20 years ago.  He said one girl he shot for Playboy got paid 64,000 then.  But I don't know if it was a centerfold gig.

Sep 30 07 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

pamela mars wrote:

wrong.

Someone may make more on their web site selling pictures of their bewbies. smile

Sep 30 07 09:11 pm Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

yourphotographer wrote:

You can call Corporate in Chicago. Playmates get paid 25 thousand. Playmate of the Year gets paid 250 thousand.

Special Editions pays 250 dollars to the model and the freelance photographer is paid 400 dollars. If the model does make it as a Playmate, there is potential for a photographer to receive a finders fee, but Playboy does not promise this.

Special Editions is a good way to enter into Playboy. If selected, a model will be reviewed by other Editors for potential use. Playboy has many ventures including modeling their line of clothing.

Before any model starts to hop aboard the train for submissions to Special Editions, take a look at who they accept.

we are paid more than $250

Sep 30 07 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

yourphotographer

Chicago, Illinois, US

Greg Cobb Photography wrote:

The guy who got me started was a contributing photographer about 20 years ago.  He said one girl he shot for Playboy got paid 64,000 then.  But I don't know if it was a centerfold gig.

The numbers are set for Playmates and Playmate of the year.

Sep 30 07 09:12 pm Link

Model

AVAZmodel

Sacramento, California, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Typically $500 for a day shoot, although for some special applications and video use I have seen fees as high as $1,500.  The centerfold and celebrities get a lot more, of course.

thats not alot...

Sep 30 07 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

yourphotographer

Chicago, Illinois, US

pamela mars wrote:

we are paid more than $250

Were you on the web or in the magazine? The information is no older than 1 year so the pay must not have increased that much.

Sep 30 07 09:14 pm Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

the pay could be way better-but honestly-for how much posing for them has helped me with my career, i would've done it unpaid.

Sep 30 07 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Alan from Avian Productions books with them quite a bit.  I'm sure he has more current information than I do.  Perhaps he will answer the question.

OK, I have been drafted to answer.

Playboy pays different rates that run all over the board.

For the flats, (special editions), it is typically $500 a day, with a one day shoot.  If they use you on the cover, they will up it to $750.  Normally they will use you in three different books from a single shoot.

Playmate pays $26,000 but it isn't paid all at once.  They normally pay you part at your test, part at your shoot, part when your centerfold is shot and the balance after you are assigned a month.  You can be dissed at any point along the way (i.e. just shooting doesn't guarantee that you will be used), but you can be sure your pictures will be published if you aren't a centerfold.  Most of the Cyber-Girls are models who didn't make it a Playmates.

Special features in the magazine pay from as little as a thousand to several thousands of dollars.  Typical if you are in a special feature in the magazine, you will have to agree not to do nudes for others for at least a year, but they don't always require it.  If you don't have that type of agreement (and that never happens in the flats, the website or TV), you are free to shoot for anybody. Playmates have to agree not to do nudes for anyone, including other divisions of Playboy, for two years from the date that they are published (not the date that they sign).

They normally pay about $125 if you make it into the Grapevine in the back of the main magazine with no strings attached.

If you are on the website, you will typically get paid $150-$250.  You will get a check directly from Playboy even if the photographer has already paid you.  They do that for the release.

Playboy TV has it's own rates and it varies all across the board.  I have seen them pay as little as $150 a day to as much as $1000 a day, but $500 a day is typical.

Playboy does other things such as promotions, parties, painted girls, etc but I don't have time to go into everything.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you want other specific information or if you are a model trying to get in.  Tx is right.  I have  alot of experience with them. I will be happy to help you out.

Sep 30 07 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

GAETANO CATELLI STUDIOS

Oxford, Mississippi, US

Nick Zantop wrote:
did you sit on a thumbtack?

total of 2 sentences in profile:  "I'm a professional photographer who specializes in photographing models from anywhere in the United States and Canada. If travel is required I pay all travel and lodging expenses."

nevertherless, a only 6 pix in his port.

is photographing models from anywhere from the Rio Grande to the Arctic Circle a 'specialty'?

if his expense account allows for travel expenses from anywhere within a ~7 million square mile area, who are his clients?

registered 3 weeks, and second post is one that no woman could fail to be offended by.

i say "troll."

Sep 30 07 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

yourphotographer

Chicago, Illinois, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

OK, I have been drafted to answer.

For the flats, (special editions), it is typically $500 a day, with a one day shoot.  If they use you on the cover, they will up it to $750.  Normally they will use you in three different books from a single shoot.

Playmate pays $26,000 but it isn't paid all at once.  They normally pay you part at your test, part at your shoot, part when your centerfold is shot and the balance after you are assigned a month.  You can be dissed at any point along the way (i.e. just shooting doesn't guarantee that you will be used), but you can be sure your pictures will be published if you aren't a centerfold.  Most of the Cyber-Girls are models who didn't make it a Playmates.

Special features in the magazine pay from as little as a thousand to several thousands of dollars.  Typical if you are in a special feature in the magazine, you will have to agree not to do nudes for others for at least a year, but they don't always require it.  If you don't have that type of agreement (and that never happens in the flats, the website or TV), you are free to shoot for anybody. Playmates have to agree not to do nudes for anyone, including other divisions of Playboy, for two years from the date that they are published (not the date that they sign).

They normally pay about $125 if you make it into the Grapevine in the back of the main magazine with no strings attached.

If you are on the website, you will typically get paid $150-$250.  You will get a check directly from Playboy even if the photographer has already paid you.  They do that for the release.

Playboy TV has it's own rates and it varies all across the board.  I have seen them pay as little as $150 a day to as much as $1000 a day, but $500 a day is typical.

Playboy does other things such as promotions, parties, painted girls, etc but I don't have time to go into everything.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you want other specific information or if you are a model trying to get in.  Tx is right.  I have  alot of experience with them. I will be happy to help you out.

They moved up their rate by a thousand dollars for a Playmate. The Specials for web were paying 200 dollars last year so they must have gone up too.

Get current information. Maybe some of the girls will contact you. You may suggest a few things to the ones interested.

Sep 30 07 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

Lancaster, California, US

Playmate....$ 25,000  one time fee for all of the shooting (about 3-4 weeks) for the Playmate centerfold, a video, and the promotional material. You have a 2 year restriction from shooting NUDES with anyone else besides Playboy. Other than the nudes, you can shoot with anyone else, but it is in your best interest to not do anything that would harm your profile as a Playmate. Playmates also get the opportunity to do promotions for Playboy, and are paid a day rate for these appearances booked through Playboy Promotions. These include store openings, special events, sports events like SuperBowl parties and Las Vegas stuff.

Special Editions...$ 500 per DAY, if you are a Playmate...$ 750 a day. They buy full rights to the images and can use them anywhere at anytime with no time restriction. They might show up multiple times and multiple places, you are just paid the one time for the shoot. SE shoots normally are done by their contributing photographers, normally 3 sets per day. You are paid for unrestricted usage. All SE shoots are OKed in advance by the editor in Chicago. If Chicago doesn't approve it with a purchase order, its not a real PB shoot.

Cyberclub..(www.playboy.com) web features like Sexy Girl Next Door...normally around $ 400. Once again, they own all rights to the images and can use them in an unrestricted manner forever. Non-staff shooters (like me) can submit to the Cyberclub, and they look at the girls on a one by one basis.

Features like Girls of Starbucks., Employee of the Month..etc....normally around 2-5K for the shoot, once again, unrestricted usage. These shoots are also approved by purchase order from editors in Chicago, if the photographer can't produce a PO, its not official.

Celebrity features...unrestricted as to pay rate, depends on news-stand attraction of celebrity. Rights are negotiated, normally celebrity negotiates type of images and often has some editorial input, sometimes the celeb gets to pick the photographer that shoots the feature. This all depends on the "star power" of the celeb.

There are many other promotional arms of PB like Playboy Golf, Playboy TV, etc, and they do all kinds of special events like the party Victoria was at. I know nothing about the pay scale for these and generally these events have nothing to do with Playboy Editorial and are done with companies who license Playboys name for a fee for the specific event or for a product.

Nobody gets rich off Playboy. Even the $25K centerfold fee is spread out over 2 years. You do Playboy because of the opportunities available to you from promotional work and other modeling and business ventures. Except for the celebrity pay to major well known figures, its not a great moneymaker for the models.

There are so many misconceptions out there, Playboy is a great company to work with, but you won't get rich from them unless you are a very well known personality.

Sep 30 07 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

yourphotographer wrote:
They moved up their rate by a thousand dollars for a Playmate. The Specials for web were paying 200 dollars last year so they must have gone up too.

Get current information. Maybe some of the girls will contact you. You may suggest a few things to the ones interested.

I work with Playboy all the time, my information is current.  I've had 75 girls in Playboy.  Glenn, who posted after I did also works with them frequently.  Actually, he and I are pretty good friends.  You will notice that are rates are the same.

There is some variation in rates and I think I made that pretty clear.

Oct 01 07 01:22 am Link

Model

HeidiMarie

Eugene, Oregon, US

A friend of mine was in a college girl issue and only got paid $300!

Oct 01 07 01:32 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Understand, "be in Playboy" means two very different things.  One is to be in it in a non-featured way, such as one girl with one photo.  Examples would be the grapevine section or the "Girls Of . . ." features.  That doesn't pay much.  Being in a multipage spread can pay a lot more, but that's very  hard to get.

The other meaning models have is to be hired for a publication that carries the Playboy name, such as the Newsstand Specials.  Those also don't pay much, but the model ever after gets to (and inevitably does, as long as she stays in the glamour business) call herself "a Playboy model".

dont forget the cyber girl of the month and web-site work.

Oct 01 07 01:38 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

and some playmates make centerfold after cybergirl of the month but at times are rare
and only to the ones that grow or (mature) into the centerfold.

Oct 01 07 01:42 am Link

Photographer

GdV

Los Angeles, California, US

I got $3000 for being in Playboy*

*of course that was for an animated character for Playboy TV!

Oct 01 07 01:51 am Link

Photographer

Lucas Chapman

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

ThisYearsModel wrote:
it's $500 a day for anything but a centerfold or some special pictorial like 'Girls of 7-11'.

why bag on Playboy though when there are hundreds of girls on here and OMP who have done or dream of being in Maxim and FHM and receive no payment at all.  Of course there's the exposure - which along with a dollar will buy a can of Pepsi. "weeeeeeeeee - look at meeeeeeeeeeeee- I'm a li'l slut hot date in FHM! I'm so much better and classier than those nude hoebags."

Idiots.

Weeeeeeeeeee... look at meeeeeeeeeeeeee... I can get teenage girls to kiss on camera!!!!!!!!!    smile

Oct 01 07 01:54 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Hustler pays better and treats their people a whole lot better, I know two gals who have shot and worked for them and they pay alot better too

Playboy`s just a name, their glamour and good $$$ died with them in the 1970`s it`s all just about the bunny now.......

Oct 01 07 01:59 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

The Don Mon wrote:
and some playmates make centerfold after cybergirl of the month but at times are rare
and only to the ones that grow or (mature) into the centerfold.

It actually isn't uncommon for Playboy to test a model a second or even a third time.  So you are correct.  Most of the time they don't make it the second time around, but sometimes it does happen.  So you have raised a good point.

Oct 01 07 02:00 am Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

Alan, funny part is you and I and Ken all either do stuff with the PB organization or have done it, and despite what we say, there will still millions of outlandish rumors and stories out there.

Oct 01 07 09:28 am Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

KoolGirlieStuff wrote:
Hustler pays better and treats their people a whole lot better, I know two gals who have shot and worked for them and they pay alot better too

Playboy`s just a name, their glamour and good $$$ died with them in the 1970`s it`s all just about the bunny now.......

I do not doubt Hustler pays more and have no reason to doubt that they treat the models well.

However, a BIG however, there are many girls, particularly college girls, who are fine with Playboy style nudity, but would never do the Hustler shoot because it involves much more open leg shots and obvious sexual connotation. Playboy is about the hint of sexuality to come, Hustler is pretty overt.

Most PB models could show their parents the Playboy shots, but many would not feel comfortable showing Mom and Dad their Hustler spread.

Nothing wrong with either, but Tom, you and I both know some gals just won't do the Hustler stuff. To those that are comfortable with it, go for it.

Oct 01 07 09:33 am Link

Model

The Poser

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Carolyn Warmus was offered a penhouse shoot after her first trail...I do believe.
Maybe it was after the second trail...
none the less

Oct 01 07 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Paul Ferris

New York, New York, US

How much do I make for Playboy? I have to pay $5.95 every issue...

Oct 01 07 09:59 am Link

Photographer

H E R B L I S H

Orlando, Florida, US

Viktoria wrote:

Thats all?  A crappy catalog job pays better. I thought those girls made like 10 k a shoot...

A crappy Catalog is not going to give you the exposure Playboy will - something to think about!!

Oct 01 07 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Ed Stringbourne

Kansas City, Missouri, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Typically $500 for a day shoot, although for some special applications and video use I have seen fees as high as $1,500.  The centerfold and celebrities get a lot more, of course.

Oddly enough Playboy UK pays more than that, it's one of the few good paying glamour gigs in the UK - although they're not technically anything to do with Playboy US, they just lease the name. The photography's very good, though.

I'm not going to put up the rates though, as I don't think it's my place to do so.

Oct 01 07 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MurphyMurphy Studios wrote:
Just for fun, how much does a full editorial spread in a major fashion mag pay a fashion model?  I don't think that it pays well at all, does it?

It does not.

Oct 01 07 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Ed Stringbourne

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Money comes from the commercial stuff, the editorial work is often the bricks and mortar to getting the high pay gigs - I've seen many a girl come in to work whose book contains just tearsheets and clients do take notice of that.

Oct 01 07 10:13 am Link

Photographer

yourphotographer

Chicago, Illinois, US

DannyBourne wrote:

Oddly enough Playboy UK pays more than that, it's one of the few good paying glamour gigs in the UK - although they're not technically anything to do with Playboy US, they just lease the name. The photography's very good, though.

I'm not going to put up the rates though, as I don't think it's my place to do so.

Come on, it's your place. I'm sure we will all agree that we will not have a problem with you releasing the price pay.

Oct 01 07 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

yourphotographer wrote:
Maxim doesn't pay the model, but does pay 500 dollars to the photographer if the do print the picture. They offer a quarter page for the right picture. Very difficult to get accepted.

I have placed 22 models in Maxim.  Each and every one of them got paid by Maxim.  The minimum was $150, the most any of them got was $1,000.

Oct 01 07 10:36 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

pamela mars wrote:
the pay could be way better-but honestly-for how much posing for them has helped me with my career, i would've done it unpaid.

Which's probably why (and no offense mean to you Pamela) they can pay so low.

Oct 01 07 11:58 am Link

Photographer

SI Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

TheNormGallerys wrote:

Passed payments received from PB Inc.

Centerfold = $14,000.00 + personal appearance contract moneys.
Special Edition publications = $650.00 to $1500.00 per publication.
PB Inc. CyberClub web-sites = $650.00 to $750.00 per publication.

Porn pays more than Playboy. And PB uses the naughty bits shots not in the home videos and throws those up on their Spice channels now. So PB does porn with the ladies and alot of them never notice it playing on the porn channels.

Oct 01 07 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

yourphotographer wrote:

I work with Playboy all the time, my information is current.  I've had 75 girls in Playboy.  Glenn, who posted after I did also works with them frequently.  Actually, he and I are pretty good friends.  You will notice that are rates are the same.

There is some variation in rates and I think I made that pretty clear.

Alan -

If you havn't noticed before, this guy is all over the Forums acting like he knows everything about the business. Over the summer, he posted on his portfolio that he was new to shooting models, but he still likes to try to impress everyone.

Oct 01 07 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

yourphotographer wrote:

TXPhotog wrote:
I have placed 22 models in Maxim.  Each and every one of them got paid by Maxim.  The minimum was $150, the most any of them got was $1,000.

See my above reply to Alan.

Oct 01 07 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Greg Kolack wrote:
See my above reply to Alan.

I know.  But I still needed to contradict the false information he put into the thread.

Oct 01 07 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

glenn my name today wrote:
Alan, funny part is you and I and Ken all either do stuff with the PB organization or have done it, and despite what we say, there will still millions of outlandish rumors and stories out there.

I was thinking the exact same thing.  I am amazed at the number of experts who have never done a thing but have such intimate knowledge.

BTW I just referred a model to you.  Maybe she'll get in touch.  She is on your side of the country.

Oct 01 07 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Greg Kolack wrote:
Alan -

If you havn't noticed before, this guy is all over the Forums acting like he knows everything about the business. Over the summer, he posted on his portfolio that he was new to shooting models, but he still likes to try to impress everyone.

No, I hadn't noticed, thanks!

Oct 01 07 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Stacy Leigh

New York, New York, US

Photos Etc wrote:
Just curious for the models that have shot for playboy...How much did you make from the photo shoot or calendar or any prints that playboy uses?  Just curious on what they are paying...

$500. and they have 100% rights. That goes for Special Editions as well as Employee of the month. Playmte pays considerably higher...but good luck with that!

Oct 01 07 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Stacy Leigh

New York, New York, US

Viktoria wrote:

i just think its amazing so many people WANT to be in playboy and they are so poorly paid.  perhaps its like being in vogue, it pays like crap but then opens you job to major campaigns which certainly pay much better....

bingo.

Oct 01 07 12:53 pm Link