Forums > Photography Talk > Need a flash?

Photographer

TheLeicaGuy

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

I am looking for some sort of device that is basically a mini strobe unit - smaller, more portrable. Maybe something I could put on the floor - or a table - or whatever - to bounce light on the subject. More powerful than a flash unit... but not as bulky as a strobe.

Any suggestions?

Dec 05 05 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

A light disk?

Other than that I've seen photographers use flash units with slave sensors...

Dec 05 05 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

Los Angeles, California, US

I've got a couple of old Vivitars (a 283 and a 285) with Wein slaves. I bought them as my "guerilla" light rig... it's really taken the rush out of replacing my hotlights with strobes. It would be nice if they had a little more guts, but some kid knocked one over yesterday (impromptu portrait session for a friend's family) and I didn't even turn around. That thing's been dropped 50 times, and if it ever does break, I'll go on ebay and buy another for $40. Plus, AA batteries are pretty easy to find.

If you're okay with f6-8 and shutter speeds of 100 or less, 2 or 3 can save the day.

Dec 05 05 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

TheLeicaGuy

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

I once witnessed a guy with a quantum flash unit? (I think that's what it was). It had a seperate battery back. And then it was a flash with diffuser.

Anyone know the stats on something like that?

f/6 @ 100 is too slow.

Dec 06 05 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Quantum qflash.  Great units but a bit pricey.

http://www.qtm.com/
you can check www.bhphoto.com to get an idea on prices

Dec 06 05 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Rebecca Peloquin

Los Angeles, California, US

Gasp...dont go with a Q flash...After about 10 mins of shooting with it on a bracket you will develop carpal tunal syndrome...and curse the person who recomended it.  They output nice light but are nicer for use on a light stand.  The speedlight flashes work very suitably with their remote triggering capabilities, two or three positioned strategically look pretty swell... Good Luck!

-B

Dec 07 05 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

easyonthe eyes wrote:
I've got a couple of old Vivitars (a 283 and a 285) with Wein slaves. I bought them as my "guerilla" light rig... it's really taken the rush out of replacing my hotlights with strobes. It would be nice if they had a little more guts, but some kid knocked one over yesterday (impromptu portrait session for a friend's family) and I didn't even turn around. That thing's been dropped 50 times, and if it ever does break, I'll go on ebay and buy another for $40. Plus, AA batteries are pretty easy to find.

If you're okay with f6-8 and shutter speeds of 100 or less, 2 or 3 can save the day.

you can't go wrong with 285s, just make sure to get a newer one like the 285 HV, because of voltage and newer cameras. I wish the 285 had a built in slave. I bought some slaves (not wein), and they wont trigger unless the are right in front of the main flash. Currently, I have two slave-triggers taped right to the front of an cheap flash with a sensitive trigger. The prices on the 285 seems to be going up. I have four and the last one was $60 (eBay - used). I only use them when I don't have power for monolights.

well, I guess if you have the budget, you could do better than 285's

Dec 07 05 07:36 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i am a HUGE fan of the 285hv...cant beat it with two sticks tied together...i just bought 2 photogenic moolights, but i will keep my 6 285's

Dec 07 05 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

BCG wrote:
i am a HUGE fan of the 285hv...cant beat it with two sticks tied together...i just bought 2 photogenic moolights, but i will keep my 6 285's

I just saw one on ebay @ 14.95 (the HV). still a couple of days left. I think I have enough and I am sure it go over 60 by the end.

Dec 09 05 06:36 pm Link