Forums > General Industry > My new portfolio...any opinions?

Photographer

A. K. Southard

Detroit, Michigan, US

I just joined MM this morning and created a completely different looking portfolio than what I had on OMP, which I cancelled earlier this week.  The biggest change is the exclusiion of color photographs.

Could everyone take just a second or two and tell me what you think?  Is the all black & white portfolio going to give me troubles? Do you have any questions for me that I didn't answer in the Bio section? Is there anything else I should say or change the wording? And most of all, would you work with me based on the images and information I presented, and if not, why?

Please, don't be nice and hold back anything--I want honest and helpful opinions. This is your chance to vent your frustrations from traffic, bills, taxes, work, relationships, whatever.  Send all that anger and irritation my way!

I appreciate the help,
Alan

May 26 05 12:38 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

hello I'm Marksora,

Look,  look,  look, what that overthere.  It is a strange looking creature not seen in these woods much.

It is a critique request.  Wow,  nice to meet ya.  My name is Marksora.

Oh,  I said that.  Did I say I was hungry?  Oh,  I did in another thread.

Oh, well I guess you asked for it.

====
from Winnie the pooh of course with my changes.

I love your simple straight to the point wording.  The flower is great but since it is a modeling site,  I would use it for I love flowers but change it up every few days with some of your best model work.

I like your work in general but not wow.  But that was a quick glance but honest.  I think your commercial none sexy shots could be much better.  I find those the weekest but it is great to see you doing them.

They are not bad but not going to get you big work.  (hana my dog laughs and says what the pooh do I know about big money)

Commercial is sensible area to go after for Chicago is a big market for that.

Good models,  good lighting,  good,  good, but not wow and If I was a creative director.(Hana laughs again.)  I would say Thanks and send me some samples in 3 months.

Those are my views for this evening.  By tomorrow,  I will edit half of what I said and blaim it on Theda's powers of Moderation or my dog or both.

yeah,  yeah,  that's the ticket.  Conspiracy of Theda and Hanachan against me.

=====
updated for below.

The shot of the woman on the bike.  The shot of the plus sized woman near the window that could possibly,  possibly be a catalog shot for such. 

the shot of the woman in the jeans,  the shot of the woman holding her hair,  and the portraits are weak to me.

What is commercial?  Well time to start a new thread young man.  Not I, me, for I, me have caused enough trouble tonight.

May 26 05 01:18 am Link

Photographer

A. K. Southard

Detroit, Michigan, US

Posted by marksora: 
I think your commercial none sexy shots could be much better.  I find those the weekest but it is great to see you doing them. Commercial is sensible area to go after for Chicago is a big market for that.

Thanks for the help Marksora, and its a pleasure to meet you as well.  Unfortunately, because I've only been doing this for a couple of months, I don't know what commercial is.  Could you be more specific about the images you are talking about? 

May 26 05 01:23 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

It's hard to give worthwhile advice or critiques if we don't know what you're trying to accomplish, what your goals are.

May 26 05 01:37 am Link

Photographer

A. K. Southard

Detroit, Michigan, US

Posted by Aaron_H: 
It's hard to give worthwhile advice or critiques if we don't know what you're trying to accomplish, what your goals are.

My goal is to find models who are willing to shoot TFP's with me and allow me to experiment with photography.  I don't have any desire to make any money from photography until I retire in about twenty years. 

Until then, I just want to have a portfolio that will help me find those models who are willing to help me experiment, learn, practice, and become a decent photographer.  I wish I could give you more specifics or more detail, but I simply don't have the answers myself--yet.

May 26 05 01:46 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Ok, well there seems to be no accounting for taste. I see a lot of really crappy shooters (IMO) that seem to have girls clamoring to shoot with them. So I don't know if I can help you with simply finding girls willing to shoot.

But if you have any specific interests in terms of styles, themes, subjects etc., then you need to show that kind of work or at least state your interests and that you're looking for people to help you do that kind of work.

In general I'd say to edit more tightly. There's an old cliche that says the biggest difference between an amateur and a pro is the size of their waste baskets... in other words don't show people everything, don't show your mistakes (unless they're happy accidents) and don't show anything not your best or at least not up to high standards. However, like I said, I see plenty of crap that has people chomping at the bit to get crapped on themselves... so what I know applies to the professional world doesn't seem to always apply to models, aspiring models or wannabees.

Yet if it were me I'd still want to show what I thought was quality and attract people of similar quality, taste or interest.

May 26 05 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Posted by A. K. Southard: 
Is the all black & white portfolio going to give me troubles?

I dont think the B&W's will give you any trouble... however... it may showcase to your potential clients too much of a 'one dimentional' approach to your work.  Mastering the effective use of color just could be a potential 'selling point' to anyone interested in soliciting your services. 

May 26 05 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

ok, you asked for honesty so I critiqued almost all your pics. Delete them after you read them if they bother you or if you don't want me to look like an asshole! haha

May 26 05 02:25 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Okay,  addition since you stated your intent but just an addition.

Especially with your intent and your location of Chicago.  There may not be the need to do high fashion,  fetish if even that is your thing,  and other styles that people will give kudos to.

you are in Chicago and sound like you have a steady job.  Wise man and I miss Chicago sometimes.  Only sometimes otherwise I think it is a frozen/hot hell.

But my dog told me not to tell THAT story ever.  Or at least not before the book deal(you think I am joking).

The B&W only.  yes a problem for Color is it today for every art director/creative director knows how to do what you are doing.  Some B&W yes,  but not all.  The need for B&W is diminished in my view.

I am too lazy to critique each image tonight but someday if you think I am great and read my Quantum theory of modeling down in this section and respond with intelligence.

Hey,  I took five minutes.  Read and you may learn what a lame ass idiot I am and why you should ignore me.

But incritiques y you must often read between the lines. 

May 26 05 02:39 am Link

Photographer

A. K. Southard

Detroit, Michigan, US

Posted by Aaron_H: 
ok, you asked for honesty so I critiqued almost all your pics. Delete them after you read them if they bother you or if you don't want me to look like an asshole! haha

Aaron,

Thanks for the critiques, I agreed with most of your comments.  The faults that you found in those images are the reasons I'm looking for more models, so that I can improve my skills.  I did delete the comments so that you didn't look too much like an asshole, but I didn't delete them because I didn't appreciate the help.

As I am able to get more models, experiment more, and learn more, I will slowly replace some of those images.  However, being so new those are the best images I have.

May 26 05 10:15 am Link

Photographer

A. K. Southard

Detroit, Michigan, US

Posted by marksora: 
Especially with your intent and your location of Chicago.  There may not be the need to do high fashion,  fetish if even that is your thing,  and other styles that people will give kudos to.

Marksora,

Although I'm not sure exactly what my goals are at this point, I do know that high fashion is at the bottom of my interests, and fetish is only slightly above it on the spectrum.

I suppose that artistic nudes, lingerie, and editorial/commercial are my main interests, in no particular order. 

May 26 05 10:18 am Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

I personally love B&W but if you do color you might want to put a few of those up there just so people know.

May 26 05 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

hey, you should have kept up the complimentary comments that didn't sound harsh! smile

May 26 05 01:18 pm Link