Forums > General Industry > "How I Got the Shot" - POTD Winners

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

C I wrote:
Hmmm...how do I find a list of the past winners?

I believe there is a place hosted by craig where all the winners are located, take a peek at the first page of the POD thread

Jan 23 08 08:17 am Link

Model

Red Aurora

Calabasas, California, US

Haha...oooh, I missed that somehow.

Jan 23 08 08:20 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071201/06/47514a6d01680_m.jpg
https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071201/06/47514a6d01680.jpg
This was a shoot planned for the desert but it rained us out. I agreed to do some shots for Sean in the studio for his portfolio and we would later go out to the Desert. After a lot of catelogue looking shots of him in a variety of work out and branded clothing I decided to do a test with the 50mm lens I never use and a single light. It stemmed from a MM conversation about the # of lights it took to make a great studio image. I remember using only a single bank of fluorescents for many years in my early stages. I wanted to recreate that feel with more modern units. So I put a single Photogenic 600 W/S monolight into a very large Black backed umbrella and pulled it right up next to Sean. I made 2 exposure tests for ho dark I thought I could let him be and still have good separation..isn't digital wonderful! Then I shot 8 more images..This is one of those. Nikon D200 with a 50mm F/1.8 and a single Photogenic 500 W/S Strobe. Color corrected and sharpened a bit in Lightroom and then a bit of finishing in Photoshop CS3. Metadata is in the image but i remember being stopped down most of the way and had the Monolight down to 1/32nd power. I could have used LESS light. So when the "pros' tell you 1200 W/S or more, well more can be good but I Syncro sun with these units on 1/2 power all the time..now they ARE close to the model. But I like that..Keeps them from moving around to much. I have 3 Photogenic 600 W/S Powerlights, a AB800 Ringlight (320 W/S), a Nikon SB800 Hot Shoe flash and a couple of California Sunbounce Reflectors. The big lights all have grids and snoots and barndoors for light control. I rarely use a softbox and only use the umbrellas in the studio. Mostly I use Beauty Dishes outside but also some of the other modifiers stacked on.

Jan 29 08 06:17 pm Link

Model

Sweet home alabama

Akron, Alabama, US

jab designs wrote:
https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h176/jabranst/catshower1.jpg

She has the wettest pussy I have ever seen.

Sorry. It simply had to be said.

/bump

Jan 29 08 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080128/15/479e34dab3eb5.jpg

This portrait of Allie was taken during a 3 -4 year series of a small dieing town called Saddieville, KY that was passed over for an off ramp on a new freeway that took all non local traffic away from it. In the years i shot there i became friendly with several of the inhabitants. to the point of which I took the Class I taught at Northern KY University there on field trips. At first I felt like I was exploiting them. but after being told by the local dry goods/soda fountain store owner that my visits were the highlight of the year and a mother of 6 who said she looked forward to the "family portraits" I gave here (NO way she could afford to have them done professionally on her meager income) I began to bring others along. A Louisville Courier-Journal writer used a few of my shots in an article on the town and I convinced the TV station I worked at in Cincinnati to do piece on them as well. one of the poorest couples in town was Pearl And Allie. At first I passed them by for the reason of not wanting to be perceived as exploiting them. Until on my third trip one of my repeat subjects mentioned they wondered why I didn't find them worth taking "picters" of. Did i not like black folk? I was floored..She took me over for the formal introduction and I took lunch for everyone with me. We talked and I tried to explain the slight. Towards the end of the day I shoot some images with my Mamaya C330 and left. But they were stiff and didn't take well to the speedy way i worked. So on my next trip, freshly back from the Ansel Adams Yosemite Workshop where I used an older 8x10 View camera, I took it along. Talk about slowing down. Well it was perfect. This image of Allie was from that session. Calumet 8x10 view with a 210 Caltar lens, Plus-X film, Gitzo Tripod, Pentax 1 Degree Spotmeter and a small white reflector. The exposure was long and he moved his hands a bit. I sharpened them a bit in CS3 to play down the blurr. Other than that it's just a flatbed digital scan of the 8x10 B&W neg. The toning is to match the toned Agfa Portriga Rapid paper I used to print on. You should see the print. The edition of 12 contact prints sold out. And edition of 13 enlargements (Designed to match the 25 print editions of all my other work) was just completed and is for sale.

Jan 30 08 02:39 am Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

R Michael Walker wrote:
This portrait of Allie was taken during a 3 -4 year series of a small dieing town called Saddieville, KY that was passed over for an off ramp on a new freeway that took all non local traffic away from it. In the years i shot there i became friendly with several of the inhabitants. to the point of which I took the Class I taught at Northern KY University there on field trips. At first I felt like I was exploiting them. but after being told by the local dry goods/soda fountain store owner that my visits were the highlight of the year and a mother of 6 who said she looked forward to the "family portraits" I gave here (NO way she could afford to have them done professionally on her meager income) I began to bring others along. A Louisville Courier-Journal writer used a few of my shots in an article on the town and I convinced the TV station I worked at in Cincinnati to do piece on them as well. one of the poorest couples in town was Pearl And Allie. At first I passed them by for the reason of not wanting to be perceived as exploiting them. Until on my third trip one of my repeat subjects mentioned they wondered why I didn't find them worth taking "picters" of. Did i not like black folk? I was floored..She took me over for the formal introduction and I took lunch for everyone with me. We talked and I tried to explain the slight. Towards the end of the day I shoot some images with my Mamaya C330 and left. But they were stiff and didn't take well to the speedy way i worked. So on my next trip, freshly back from the Ansel Adams Yosemite Workshop where I used an older 8x10 View camera, I took it along. Talk about slowing down. Well it was perfect. This image of Allie was from that session. Calumet 8x10 view with a 210 Caltar lens, Plus-X film, Gitzo Tripod, Pentax 1 Degree Spotmeter and a small white reflector. The exposure was long and he moved his hands a bit. I sharpened them a bit in CS3 to play down the blurr. Other than that it's just a flatbed digital scan of the 8x10 B&W neg. The toning is to match the toned Agfa Portriga Rapid paper I used to print on. You should see the print. The edition of 12 contact prints sold out. And edition of 13 enlargements (Designed to match the 25 print editions of all my other work) was just completed and is for sale.

Truly phenomenal image Mr. Walker.  A work of art reminiscent of Avedon's style.

Jan 30 08 04:58 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080129/00/479eb7ecce753_m.jpg
https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080129/00/479eb7ecce753.jpg

See above for more info about the series. This image was taken with a Rollie SL66 With A 250mm Sonar lens. On A Gitzo tripod. Light metered with a Pentax 1 Degree spot..remember those days? This image was scanned on an Epson Flatbed (V700) and The contrast was brought down a bit in Photoshop where it was also toned. The reflections in those crazy looking glasses make the image for me. I looked froward to my visits with them and from all accounts the reverse was also true. Then one day in 1979 I wnet to town and they were gone. I felt like a member of my own family had passed.

Feb 02 08 02:57 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

https://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee295/tntart/Picture196.jpg
there is a lot less post work in this image than you would imagine, as i do most of my work in camera. maybe 10 minutes total post went into this. how did i capture it, lets just say i shot it in a very unorthodox style in a studio under controlled lighting. ah heck i shot it threw a fish bowl, the cats out of the bag.

Feb 27 08 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

isnt water wonderful

Feb 27 08 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

akamikeb

Fremont, California, US

So, I was riding the BART home from work today and had to transfer at Lake Merritt. I had my camera with me and decided since I had time to kill, and a train in front of the one I had coming, that I would try to get one of those cool "long exposure" subway shots.

With 2 minutes to prep, I took some practice shots at around 8 seconds at iso100 f22. I determined (guessed) that 6 seconds with a flash to freeze the side of the train would be sufficient.

I put my camera on the ground, propped it up slightly with its own strap and stepped on it to keep it from flying away. Grabbed the remote and the sb24, set it to full power as the train started roaring into the station. I hit the remote and flashed the train like a trekkie with his phaser set to humiliate.

As luck would have it, my premature fire nailed the front of the train perfectly and the logo rests in the corner of the frame as if I had photoshopped it in.

Lucky shot.
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2364/2260026586_b324e5b422.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2364/226 … 03d9_o.jpg

Feb 27 08 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

iamthemikeb wrote:
So, I was riding the BART home from work today and had to transfer at Lake Merritt. I had my camera with me and decided since I had time to kill, and a train in front of the one I had coming, that I would try to get one of those cool "long exposure" subway shots.

With 2 minutes to prep, I took some practice shots at around 8 seconds at iso100 f22. I determined (guessed) that 6 seconds with a flash to freeze the side of the train would be sufficient.

I put my camera on the ground, propped it up slightly with its own strap and stepped on it to keep it from flying away. Grabbed the remote and the sb24, set it to full power as the train started roaring into the station. I hit the remote and flashed the train like a trekkie with his phaser set to humiliate.

As luck would have it, my premature fire nailed the front of the train perfectly and the logo rests in the corner of the frame as if I had photoshopped it in.

Lucky shot.
very kool shot, perhaps you should enter it in the POD, thats what this thread is about, images that have won that contest!

Feb 27 08 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

'Monk

Denver, Colorado, US

As with most of my work, I plan, we meet and I shoot from the hip as best I can. Take a looksie and you'll see smile

Feb 27 08 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

XLTV

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Great idea for a thread, very interesting stories and tips!

Feb 27 08 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

'Monk

Denver, Colorado, US

jab designs wrote:
https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h176/jabranst/catshower1.jpg

After doing a photoset with Shannon, she confessed that her cat takes showers with her and she wanted a pic of it. So we set up lights, attempted to sedate the cat and took a few shots, there were some with water in either of their eyes, a few scratches, but in the end we nailed it.
Although I do photoshop my images , neither one of their eye colors has been altered.

JB

The look on that poor cat's face says to me... "This freakin' sucks. Take the damn shot already" smile Rockin' shot though big_smile

Feb 27 08 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

akamikeb

Fremont, California, US

LeDeux Art wrote:

very kool shot, perhaps you should enter it in the POD, thats what this thread is about, images that have won that contest!

yeah, I was just trying to sneak one in wink haha.

Feb 28 08 02:31 am Link

Photographer

8ELEments

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Feb 28 08 02:34 am Link

Photographer

8ELEments

Feb 28 08 02:36 am Link

Photographer

8ELEments

LeDeux Art wrote:

Mr Burns, this is a lovely idea...how can we make this happen?

Blurb.com is a site that publishes books.

I like this thread.
How does one post a pic for all to see ?
pls. PM me .
thanks.
~V~

ps. sorry for the double reply.
I don't hink there's a "delete" button .

Feb 28 08 02:38 am Link

Model

Jessica Reighn

Mount Ephraim, New Jersey, US

I have to say this is a fantastic thread. I really love these images; I must not browse enough

Feb 28 08 02:40 am Link

Photographer

Couture Shots

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

R Michael Walker wrote:
https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080129/00/479eb7ecce753_m.jpg
https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080129/00/479eb7ecce753.jpg

See above for more info about the series. This image was taken with a Rollie SL66 With A 250mm Sonar lens. On A Gitzo tripod. Light metered with a Pentax 1 Degree spot..remember those days? This image was scanned on an Epson Flatbed (V700) and The contrast was brought down a bit in Photoshop where it was also toned. The reflections in those crazy looking glasses make the image for me. I looked froward to my visits with them and from all accounts the reverse was also true. Then one day in 1979 I wnet to town and they were gone. I felt like a member of my own family had passed.

I was talking to a photographer friend of mine here in Buffalo who is purchasing a medium format film camera.  Both of us lit up on the topic because we had both been blown away by the texture, tone, and quality of images created with cameras of these types.  These images you show here are magnificent and inspiring.  There is no mistaking the depth that gets captured and photography of other styles pales in comparison to the intensity achieved here.  Beautiful, organic, and captivating.  I would love to do portraits and fashion photography using these formats rather than what I do now.

Feb 28 08 09:09 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

iamthemikeb wrote:

well its a kool one, you should enter it in the POD, as it goes thats a shot ive tried and failed a dozen times, well done

Mar 11 08 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

Ed Burns Photography wrote:
If you've ever participated in the Model Mayhem's "Pic of The Day" forum, or if you've ever viewed the Winner's Gallery, you no doubtedly have seen some incredible images that were created by members (including models, photographers, stylists and MUA's) from this site. 

I've seen a number of shots that have often made me wonder, "How'd they do that?"  I love hearing how great images were created, or the story behind either the concept or the event that led up to it.

So, I thought maybe we could start a thread for the winners to tell their own story.  A chance for them to pull up their past winners, post the pic, and then tell us "How I Got the Shot". 

Who wants to be first?

You can view the POTD gallery here:
http://www.pbase.com/cseayphotography/y … y&page=all

here is the link to the POD

Mar 11 08 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

Visceral wrote:

Blurb.com is a site that publishes books.

I like this thread.
How does one post a pic for all to see ?
pls. PM me .
thanks.
~V~

ps. sorry for the double reply.
I don't hink there's a "delete" button .

you have Email, hope to see your entry in the POD soon.

Mar 11 08 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

iamthemikeb wrote:

besides this should be one of the more serious threads, the OP deserves that respect

Mar 11 08 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

https://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee295/tntart/20070708742.jpg
i had been talking with Kat about doing a trade shoot via MM, she has a pretty face and i have a face fetish so I often offer trade work to models with interesting faces. anyways, she arrived and as she walked up my heart stopped, i wanted to tell her pull all that hair off your face but just listened as she greeted me. i probably babbled a minute i dont remember but i told her to hold up I needed to change direction. I called my girl Xtina and pulled some strings and she was over LeDeux Manor in an hours time. we went for the beauty queen look of yesteryear and Kat rocked it.
i just use my cannon rebel and the lens that came in the box, the light was from the window and i did use a reflector for fill

Mar 11 08 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

https://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee295/tntart/20070708857-1.jpg
the second POD winner from that shoot

Mar 11 08 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

the first win was pretty much as i shot it, the second win was an image i spent some time in post on, i blew it out till it became grainy and then went back and corrected hot spots, it seems strange to take a perfectly straight image and mess with it but i wanted an older feel to the image

Mar 11 08 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

EMB Images

Delmar, Delaware, US

The POD winner I chose to explain today isn't so much HOW I did it but why I did it.
I did something I thought I would never do in my lifetime, I moved almost 1900 miles away from my best friend, My Father. Three months after moving to Delaware from Colorado I received a call that my Dad had a massive stroke. Feeling guilty for moving and not being with my Father I caught an imediate flight back to Colorado. The stroke left my Dad in such a way that he could not breathe or swallow on his own. Therefore he had to be fed intraveneously and breathe with a ventilator. Mentally my Dad knew what was going on. Hoping that he would recover, I made the decision to keep him on life support. Almost 6 months later, the Doctor told me the news I already knew but didnt want to hear; that my father would not recover and indeed was failing fast. Flying back again to Colorado I made the decision to remove the ventilator. Telling my Father that everything was OK and all his pain and suffering would soon be over and that I loved him and would miss him. He nodded his head with approvement as his eyes filled with tears.
I didnt leave my Fathers room for the entire time he was dying, as I promised him I would do.  Hours passed, days passed. I had my camera and battled the guilty feeling if a picture would be appropriate or not. After a couple hours of debating this, I took my camera from the bag, wiped my tears away and took this one and only picture. Twenty minutes after taking this picture my Father passed away, our hands were still holding each other as you see them here. After returning home to Delaware, I pulled  the picture up and posted it. Technically it is not my best image, but meaning wise nothing has come close or ever will. It is the best image I have ever taken. Im glad I decided to take it.

Ralph Edsel Blount, My Father

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050918/18/432e0cbccfe14.jpg

Mar 11 08 08:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cosmetic Couture

Riverside, California, US

EMB Images wrote:
The POD winner I chose to explain today isn't so much HOW I did it but why I did it.
I did something I thought I would never do in my lifetime, I moved almost 1900 miles away from my best friend, My Father. Three months after moving to Delaware from Colorado I received a call that my Dad had a massive stroke. Feeling guilty for moving and not being with my Father I caught an imediate flight back to Colorado. The stroke left my Dad in such a way that he could not breathe or swallow on his own. Therefore he had to be fed intraveneously and breathe with a ventilator. Mentally my Dad knew what was going on. Hoping that he would recover, I made the decision to keep him on life support. Almost 6 months later, the Doctor told me the news I already knew but didnt want to hear; that my father would not recover and indeed was failing fast. Flying back again to Colorado I made the decision to remove the ventilator. Telling my Father that everything was OK and all his pain and suffering would soon be over and that I loved him and would miss him. He nodded his head with approvement as his eyes filled with tears.
I didnt leave my Fathers room for the entire time he was dying, as I promised him I would do.  Hours passed, days passed. I had my camera and battled the guilty feeling if a picture would be appropriate or not. After a couple hours of debating this, I took my camera from the bag, wiped my tears away and took this one and only picture. Twenty minutes after taking this picture my Father passed away, our hands were still holding each other as you see them here. After returning home to Delaware, I pulled  the picture up and posted it. Technically it is not my best image, but meaning wise nothing has come close or ever will. It is the best image I have ever taken. Im glad I decided to take it.

I just saw this thread today. I started at the beginning and although beautiful work &  interesting stories,  I contemplated whether to just move on to some other thread where I could share my knowledge. I couldn't stop reading even at times when I felt my heart sink a little with some of the heartfelt stories, but none compared to yours.  I looked at the picture well before the reading the story behind it.  I was already choked up.  But as I continued on, the tears just flowed.  I have been in a very similar situation in the past and know far to well the courage behind holding a hand of a loved one as the slowly leave our world.  I am so happy you took his picture, not for us, but for yourself.  I am sure it has helped bring peace to you.  Thank you sooooooo very much for sharing such an intimate story with us.  Sometimes it's not about the quality of the picture that makes it grand as much as it is about the sentiment of the picture that makes it phenomenal.

Mar 11 08 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

EMB Images wrote:

Thank you for sharing that.  I can only imagine the difficult time you went through and I for one am glad you had the opportunity to capture this one image that speaks more to my heart than words could ever do.

Mar 11 08 09:17 pm Link

Model

Quisha Jo

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

EMB Images wrote:

I'm so glad you decided to take the pic. This was a beautiful capture of a moment in time.  It reminds me so much of when I was 10 years old and at the hospital with my great grandmother.  During her final days of lung cancer, I was beside her hospital bed holding her hand and this image to me back to that.

Mar 11 08 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

ELANFOTOS

Miami, Florida, US

this is a fantastic thread!!!! AN i am sure its going to get even better as time goes on! great post!

Heres mine:

https://i25.tinypic.com/2e3oqyg.jpg

i met the model "alexis" a few weeks earlier at a party I threw, needless to say she was stunning, whats more, she never had modeled before (i love it when that happens.)
So i asked her to test with me  and we went out on my friends boat to Masonboro Island in NC. I had shot here before,  and originally wanted to do a nude shot, with her draped in a net flowing into the water, but i didnt have a net, so i just went for it. I shot this with a sony 828, which allows you to actually see your camera adjustments in your view finder. I played with the exposure for awhile and for some reason the water next to me kept coming up really dark, so i switched to sepia mode, which made her look like she was in oil. I knew to really bring out the "oil" feel, i would have to dodge and burn a bit in PS so i did, and then VOILA!

Mar 11 08 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

ELANFOTOS

Miami, Florida, US

keepin it alive

Mar 12 08 11:09 am Link

Photographer

A Visual Paradox

Carmel, California, US

https://modelmayhm-1.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071121/15/474499f2e0a31.jpg
Its my party and I'll invite who I want!

Have meant to do this for awhile but have felt intimidated by the amazing work and artists posting here. So for what its worth...

The hardest part of this shot was getting the Rhino not to mess the floor....
Ok really, this image, in fact the whole series came to pass when my daughter (the model) insisted on a red balloon one day. The deal was I got to shoot some pictures of her with it.

I shot her with one soft box to the side and the natural light from the windows. I took 30 frames or so while she was clowning around, far more interested in other things and I couldn't get the image I wanted. Finally I told her she either helped me get the shot or I got the balloon. Voila, the resulting expression.

The Rhino was shot separately on a game ranch owned by a friend of mine and the images were merged. Color was slightly desaturated and toned with color stylizer.

This image was also chosen as The Image of the Day on One Model Place and was the start of an upcoming book. My son has written prose and my daughter modeled for each image. The proceeds are all going to pediatric cancer research.

Mar 12 08 11:46 am Link

Photographer

A Visual Paradox

Carmel, California, US

https://modelmayhm-1.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071128/04/474d34bbda0c2.jpg
I want it to match my room.

Another one from the 'Travels with my Red Balloon' series.
The giraffe was getting its afternoon snack and was shot in natural light. At the time I asked my daughter if she wanted one as a pet and she stated she would have to paint it to match her room. From the mouths of babes.

I shot 2 frames of the giraffe in natural light and my daughter in the studio. She has now become quite the little model and is always negotiating her fee in candy, balloons etc. We dressed her in one of my old shirts, her grandmothers painters hat, made her a paper palette with paint and gave her a handful of brushes. Shot her with one umbrella slightly elevated and to the side and told her to pretend she was painting a giraffe.

Post was fairly simple.  Merged the 2 images and balanced the light. Masked the palette and the 2 spots and the rest 50% desaturated and colorized with a med brown. Added color to the spots at 60% opacity and pumped up the saturation on the palette.

I still have her artwork from this shoot on the walls of my studio.

Mar 12 08 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Sassy Mouth Photography

Meriden, Connecticut, US

This thread is amazing, just spent god knows how long reading all the stories of how these amazing photos came to life!! keep it going!!

Mar 13 08 10:28 am Link

Photographer

EMB Images

Delmar, Delaware, US

These are great added insight to the POTD thread. The stories help understand the images so much better.

Mar 14 08 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Fernon

Annapolis, Maryland, US

6th one!
https://a757.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/81/l_70b3e0718cd5bef65f51180c8a4fc834.jpg
This one was an instant hit.  I was at Jun's studio in Catonsville, MD mostly just to meet him, get to know one another before we work together on a wedding.    I brought a model "Britto" last minute; Crystal Banks was the MUA.   

I am by far NOT a studio photographer.   This was the first time I've ever attempted working with studio lighting.    Jun gave me a crash corse on how to use a light meter and mess around with strobes, soft boxes, and a radio sync device.   His studio is mainly used for portraits and sure enough there it was!   I spotted the kid radio flyer from across the room and instantly invisioned Britto riding that thang.    My wife was there to help with the hair movement to give the impression of moving at the speed of light.    Afterwards I could'nt stop laughing I knew right away I had captured something truly unique and hilarious.

Mar 19 08 06:50 am Link

Photographer

DeleteMeyes

Avra Valley, Arizona, US

Pedro P Polakoff III wrote:
OK..  My first win. Dead Bugs!

https://www.ppp3photo.com/images/public/Dead_Bugs_small.jpg

A photographer/model friend, Valerie Place, and I were just driving around looking for interesting sights to shoot.  It was a bit overcast as it had rained earlier. 

I had gone past this particular VW graveyard hundreds of times with my kids and I always took the brunt of the 'Punch Buggie' hits until one day I stopped, counted all of them (and the colors) and got both my daughter & son back big-time.

I told Valerie the story, and how I always wished I had my camera with me, and she said 'let's do it!'  so we drove over and spent almost an hour shooting within a five block radius in Riverside, NJ.

The original shot was a bit flat because of the overcast skies, and something about having to remember all of the colors when I tagged my kids with 'No tag backs' prompted me to enhance the image into it's final form.

I live in area and we use to play punch buggy when driving (for the youngsters you punch closest person when you drive past a bug) we use to drive past this lot and beat the shit out of each other... what was best, when a friend never been down that road before he knew it he was being pummeled... thanks for the great memory! sorry I know this message does not belong here but just had to say this...

Mar 19 08 06:58 am Link

Photographer

Fernon

Annapolis, Maryland, US

#7 POTD
https://a500.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/87/l_ada7837bc6ed78946cffef39821ae6fb.jpg
Kate...one of my favorite models.  Such a cool spirit.   This one was captured in good ol Delaware.   I was doing a combined shoot with photographer friend Leo C, Liora Ellis was the other model on the scene; Makeup was by Meagan-Dollface.

I had actually had this concept in my mind for a week now and was iching to try it.  After about 20min of trying to flip my Iraqi Freedom coin givin to me by General Sanchez in 2003 Christmas eve in Fallujah.  We were able to get this one just right, I love this shot.   Thanks everyone who voted for it smile

Mar 19 08 07:01 am Link