Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

(I like William Saroyan's spelling: "Lighght").

Just because lighting is a challange for you, that doesnt define what photography is.

In the latest GWC/Pro thread, to which I didn't want to contribute, that was part of Henry Tjernlund's response to a comment on light by Eric Muss-Barnes.  Instead, I thought I'd make a thread of it.  In many ways, light does define photography, technically for certain, and then also by way of personality.  Light has flavor, mood, and personality.  It even has a temperature.

Dec 07 05 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

As Ansel Adams said:
"Without a knowledge of light and its reaction to  the photographic process
one will never achieve the status of an Artist."

Dec 07 05 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
As Ansel Adams said:
"Without a knowledge of light and its reaction to  the photographic process
one will never achieve the status of an Artist."

Oh crap, I better get some books on lighting and start working on it...

Dec 07 05 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

As my friend, Melanie, a theater/dance lighting designer, said, "I like darkness...with accent."

Dec 07 05 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
As my friend, Melanie, a theater/dance lighting designer, said, "I like darkness...with accent."

Agreed, it IS about the shadows. Light just controls them.

Dec 07 05 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Light, and it's use and interpretation, is everything. No, not everything, but so damn much. And light doesn't always mean "lighting." Certainly not in the ways that most people think of. But seeing light is something that is an underdeveloped talent in people. Photographers, or those who strive to be, should pay attention to light all the time. (At all times, not only when a camera's in hand.) To quantity, quality, direction, color, intensity, fall-off, everything. You have to learn to photograph with your eyes as well as with your camera and meter and post-process.

That's the way I see it.

Dec 07 05 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

photography literally means 'writing with light' so, using light and the absence of light is what photographers do. Experimenting with lighting should be a lifelong passion of a photographer...and that includes how shadows fall. As they taught in art school, both the positive and the negative space have to work in harmony. Learning how to do that is a continual process. If a photographer does not always pay attention to what the light is doing, then they are not going to have control over their medium.

And, by lighting, I don't just mean 'studio lighting'.

Dec 07 05 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Light, and it's use and interpretation, is everything. No, not everything, but so damn much. And light doesn't always mean "lighting." Certainly not in the ways that most people think of. But seeing light is something that is an underdeveloped talent in people. Photographers, or those who strive to be, should pay attention to light all the time. (At all times, not only when a camera's in hand.) To quantity, quality, direction, color, intensity, fall-off, everything. You have to learn to photograph with your eyes as well as with your camera and meter and post-process.

That's the way I see it.

Well said.

Seeing light is the first step. Learning how to use it is the next.

Dec 07 05 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

To quantity, quality, direction, color, intensity, fall-off, everything. You have to learn to photograph with your eyes as well as with your camera and meter and post-process.

++ for that.

An MUA and I learned a while ago to interpret what we could see in terms of what a slide or sensor might do in the way of intensifying (for various and good technical reasons) our perception.  Apart from that delicate work, practically sixth sense, light always plays a character in story telling  by suggesting season, time of day, and weather, and then along with location and setting, color, texture, and overall design also cheer, menace, and mystery--atmosphere and visual timbre, in other words.

Dec 07 05 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

commart wrote:
An MUA and I learned a while ago to interpret what we could see in terms of what a slide or sensor might do in the way of intensifying (for various and good technical reasons) our perception.  Apart from that delicate work, practically sixth sense, light always plays a character in story telling  by suggesting season, time of day, and weather, and then along with location and setting, color, texture, and overall design also cheer, menace, and mystery--atmosphere and visual timbre, in other words.

Watch old B&W movies. Usage of light is becoming a lost art.

Dec 07 05 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

East Coast Visual Media

Altamonte Springs, Florida, US

without light there is no photography....

Dec 07 05 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

if you wake up in the morning and you are still refecting light, you are good to go.

Dec 07 05 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

VirtuaMike wrote:
Watch old B&W movies. Usage of light is becoming a lost art.

i disagree, i watch law and order just to study the lighting, csi las vegas rarely has a scene without rimlighting, often colored, i think some of these new shows are groundbreaking in their use of lighting.
sorry i dont know how to tag just the quote i want, ok it worked this time

Dec 07 05 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

Photography...a term which comes from the Greek words photos (light) and graphos (drawing).

Dec 07 05 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

knowledge about lighting is good. without this knowledge it is very hard to execute a picture the way you want.

Dec 08 05 02:36 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Usage of light is becoming a lost art.

May I expand on that: what's become the lost art, or abandoned, if any, may be the adept coordination of all elements--atmosphere, character, problem, plot, and story, illustrated or written--in slow time or at length.  Imho, those here who manage the sense of time (in the making and in the presentation) as well as light in their pictures produce the most inviting work. 

Perhaps we're living through the age of induced ADD with highly stylized quick cuts on the moving screens and infobits in our magazines.

I asked my girlfriend who holds an M.A. in English from Georgetown, "When was the last time you read through a book inside of a day?"  Her thousand mile state told me we're going to have to work at getting back inside that box if we want to write.  I'd say the same about fine art photography--the engagement with it, the meditative and creative aspect of it, the point of doing it and enjoying it, feeds some on time--and the more of it, the better.

Dec 08 05 09:55 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I find that the way a photographer uses light and the lighting s/he chooses defines their style more than any other thing about them.

Dec 08 05 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Light? I've heard of that. Geezeus I spent 3 yrs as a lighting assistant almost a year before they let me play in the studio.  I've seen so many otherwise good shots killed by poor lighting.
I don't even know why they sell 2 light kits, IMHO ya need 3 lights or 2 and a reflector to get good basic glamour shots in most cases < Yes, I'm aware we have some fantasticly talanted  folks here,but I'm talking an average joe,like me.>

Paul

Dec 09 05 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Images By Ijumo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

robert christopher wrote:

i watch law and order just to study the lighting, csi las vegas rarely has a scene without rimlighting, often colored, i think some of these new shows are groundbreaking in their use of lighting.

Smallville i think is another show that has great lighting

Dec 09 05 11:44 pm Link