Forums > Photography Talk > shutterfly.com - anyone used them?

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

My wife found www.shutterfly.com and she got a sample pack in the mail the other day.
So far they seem pretty good.  I'm going to try them and use up the 15 free 4x6 prints you get when you sign up.

Has anyone else used them before?

Bill

Dec 08 05 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Wandering Bohemian

Marion, North Carolina, US

Yes! Don't do it! They either crop when you set it not to or add borders. All the black & white's turn out GREEN, even when you set it b&w. The best I have found so far has been Dale Labratories (iprints). However, I am still having some cropping issues with them, though not nearly as bad as some of the other places I've tried. The prints tend to be a little dark, but not as horribly so as shutterfly. Let me know if you find anyplace  that makes perfect prints! lol. I think it's prolly when you print them yourself! wink

Dec 08 05 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

They're good for snapshots but I would NEVER use them for a customer! The best prints for the price I've found is MPix.com, a subsidiary of Miller Photo. Great prices, fabulous quality, lightning fast shipping and professional packing. You will NOT be disappointed!

Dec 08 05 10:20 am Link

Photographer

JQ:FIYAR

Southfield, Michigan, US

I've used shutterfly and wasn't very impressed at all. Agreed that it's good for snapshots or the 4x6 book, other than that, I'll pass on them. I've used ritzpix.com in the past for 5x7-8x10 orders in the past to good results. I primarily use Costco.com and have been very pleased with the speed, cost and result. I will try Mpix though and see how I like their service.

Dec 08 05 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

i've only seen their work on self designed greeting cards. my brother used them and a client sent me a card she had them print. if those cards were any indication of the quality, i'd say steer clear.  essentially the work looked like a mediocre color laser copy. didn't like the quality of the stock either.

i've got friend who shoots loreal ads. he uses costco for his client proofs. he saves a bundle (makes money on the deal actually) and they can't tell the difference.

btw, if you want to create beautiful quality greeting cards (business or personal) i would highly recommend www.cardstore.com. we use them every year for the holidays. you can do other things too. gorgeous printing--looks like offset, thick card stock. lots of customization options and great customer service. print one or 10,001. they'll even address and mail them (for a fee). there's a discount available until dec 31 2005 of 10% off any order.  use the promo code CARD10.

Dec 08 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

The only, and I mean only, issue I have had with Mpix.com is that the upload time is slow, so if you have a lot of images, pack a lunch. Other than that, the quality is as good as anything out there. They pack and ship to you in a box, and the photos are in sleeves and shrinkwrapped. They really are amazing for the price. I have had most orders delivered to me in 2 days, three at the max. I can't say enough good about them.

Dec 08 05 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

I use adorama.com for prints.  They're reasonably priced and look great to me (color and b&w).  If you're image doesn't fit the paper size perfectly, they let you choose to crop it or print it using the largest size that fits the paper.

Dec 08 05 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

Thanks guys - I guess I'll be trying a few of these!

Dec 08 05 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Bill Tracy wrote:
Thanks guys - I guess I'll be trying a few of these!

Hey Bill, you live nearby so you might want to try my favorite print shop Silicone - http://www.fineartprint.com/

They are truly a boutique, with hours on whims and will only print what they feel like printing, but my GOD my work has never looked better than when printed by them.

They are only if price is no object, and you don't mind not knowing exactly when you'll get your work back (waited a few weeks for my first order, but only had to wait a day for my second...first order was huge though...).

They are top of the line...best best best...

Dec 08 05 06:42 pm Link