Forums > Photography Talk > CF Took a Dump,,,,,HELP!

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

Hey guys,

Anybody know of anything I can try to get my images off of a 1 gig CF
that took a crap on me the other day?

I tried photo rescue which returned 3 sots out of 90 and then it wanted me to pay 30 bucks if I wanted to be able to save it.

I also tried Tune up Utilities and it said a few were good, but I cant see them.

The file structure is on the card but when you try and oen the folder it says, "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

God I need these shots so any help will be greatly appreciated.

The card was not pulled before the cam was off and as far as I know there was not any static present. (3 week old card)

Thanks in advance,
Elite Imaging

Dec 08 05 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Brian

Yorba Linda, California, US

What's the make of the card???? (sorry to hear the bad news!) sad

Dec 08 05 10:36 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

What type card and which one?

Dec 08 05 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

One good reason why I use smaller cards. I try to use several at a shoot, in case one takes a hike south on me. So far, it hasn't happened. Knock on wood.

Dec 08 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

This happens to me one of about 100 times, and I shoot a lot so that's about once a month.  I've found that so long as I can get the camera to still recognize the card, the camera's download software will often pull more images than the operating system and CF card reader.

Dec 08 05 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

This card is a Dane-Elec 1 gig and I think it is 40X
I usually like to shoot with 256's because they are cheap and you dont put all your eggs in one basket. The bad thing with the smaller cards is that they are slow and they run out at the worst possible moment.
Target had a sale and I caved and bought a couple.

It would be awesome if there was an adapter that would let you run two cards,(Raid)

I had a bunch of ESPN stuff for NASCAR for a wire submission and now I'm dicked.

I just have a feeling it's all there, but it's jacked around so I cant read it. And for the life of me I cant figure out how it took a shit in the first place.

Thanks for any insight

Dec 08 05 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

You can try sending it to the maker if you did not get all of them back. But even the company cant promise to get them all back.

Dec 08 05 11:00 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Have you tried other options like another computter or using another camera?

If so and nada, go to http://www.dane-elec.fr/us/ and check out the live support link.

Good Luck.

Dec 08 05 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

Will the card read in the camera but not in the computer? You could try dumping the data directly into your computer instead of using the card reader, if your camera is so equipped.

Good luck, I have a couple of those Dane-Elecs, too, and I reach for them last, they just seem a little cheesy.

Dec 08 05 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Bodi

East Northport, New York, US

You can try to run norton utilities on the card. I know someone who was able to recover images off a car he accidentally erased.  PhotoRescue is a great app I bought it and 3 or 4 times I have been able to recover images from crashed cards. There are a number of setting that can be tweeked on Photorescue. Try playing with those and see if it improves the number of recoverable files.

Dec 08 05 11:20 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Elite Imaging wrote:
I tried photo rescue which returned 3 sots out of 90 and then it wanted me to pay 30 bucks if I wanted to be able to save it.

Photo Rescue is an awesome utility. I once shift erased wrong folder - important pictures went poof and bypassed the basket. I called both Sony (the notebook it happened on) and Microsoft to find out what the possibilities are to rescue images which had been shift erased and I was told that unless they are still in the bin there is nothing to save them. Anyway, to make long story short, I was undergoing major stress until I finally decided to pay for this aweseome utility and my stress was gone in no time. It recovered all my lost images and ever since I've been in a peaceful state of mind.

My friend, if these are important pictures to you, then 30 bucks is nothing. And the amount of stress it will save you is insane. I would not put it off and go for it before your card changes its mind or something (in case there's a physical damage done to it) and flushes your pics down the drain.

Dec 08 05 11:21 am Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Elite Imaging wrote:
Hey guys,

I also tried Tune up Utilities and it said a few were good, but I cant see them.

The file structure is on the card but when you try and oen the folder it says, "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

The card was not pulled before the cam was off and as far as I know there was not any static present. (3 week old card)

Thanks in advance,
Elite Imaging

If you can read the card in the camera, then go through the card and see if you can find the file(s) that may be corrupt. If so, then delete them. That worked for me, I was then able to upload the card without any problems.

Robert

Dec 08 05 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

Cant read the card in the cam or the computer.
When I put it in the USB card reader it will show that there is a DCIM folder(Canon)
but when you try to open the that folder it says directory corrupted.
The card will not boot in the cam, it just says no image.
But if you do a properties check it shows the card almost full as it should be.

Dane is cheap shit and I should have known better.

I will try the Norton and give Photo rescue another try.
I'll hit that link for Dane and see if they have an idea.

I'll let you know what happens, thanks guys for the help.

Dec 08 05 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Elite Imaging wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance,
Elite Imaging

$30.00 might be the best deal

Dec 08 05 11:48 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Elite Imaging wrote:
Cant read the card in the cam or the computer.
When I put it in the USB card reader it will show that there is a DCIM folder(Canon)
but when you try to open the that folder it says directory corrupted.
The card will not boot in the cam, it just says no image.
But if you do a properties check it shows the card almost full as it should be.

Dane is cheap shit and I should have known better.

I will try the Norton and give Photo rescue another try.
I'll hit that link for Dane and see if they have an idea.

I'll let you know what happens, thanks guys for the help.

I am starting to think that this is a Dane/Canon issue.  My Dane card does this to me all the time, as it does to several other photographers I know.

All I've been able to do to combat it is check the card every hundred images or so to make sure I still have access to them (scroll through them real quick)

Dec 08 05 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Pay the Money !!!!!

Over 400,000 images this has not happend to me...

I use smaller cards.....makes me think maybe i shouldnt pick up that 1 gig card!!

(:------

Hj

Dec 08 05 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

I didnt want it to sound like it was an issue of the 30 bucks,, these shots are worth 1000 times that.
I just didnt want to blow money on something that was a wild goose chase.

Will the Photo Rescue get back corrupted directories and files or just deleted files?

I did chat with Dane-Elec,,Just like their cards pretty much no help.

I guess springing for the Photo Rescue is pretty much my only option at this point, am I correct in assuming this?

I'll let you all know what gives.

Thanks again!

Dec 08 05 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

Well,,,,Anybody got a diaper before I pee myself?

I went to Google the Phot rescue site and I came across another software.

Since the trial version of Photo Rescue only netted me 3 whole images I was a little leery of getting the program.

I saw this website for a software called Digital Photo Recovery available at
www.photosrecovery.com, same price 29.00

Ho Lee Shit, this program not only recovered the 140 images that I needed but it also grabbed 200+ shots from the last shoot which I did delete.
This program actually gave me back more images than the card held at full rez, I guess it dug deep.

I'm not saying the other program is not good but it didnt do the job that this new one I found did.

I am a happy man now and I thank all of you for your input.

Have a great evening.

Dec 08 05 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

I used Image Rescue once, and it recovered thrity something of almost 50 images. But, I think it only works for Lexar cards. Might check their web site. With Image Rescue, you can even recover files after formatting the card, as long as you dont write something else on the card. As a LAST resort, you might try to format the card, then run the rescue program your using...but only as a last resort.

When Image Rescue saved me that one time, I've only used Lexar cards since.

Merle

Dec 08 05 03:19 pm Link