Forums > Photography Talk > How do I get noticed....

Photographer

Mallory Bertrand Photog

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Ok well... As a photographer I was wondering how or what I need to do to get noticed?
Alot of models these days are wanting to be paid to do shoots which is something I dont have. I am new to the business and I just want to be able to shoot and grow in my talents and maybe in the future I can start to pay when I open my studio.

I have a friend on here that has sooo many friends and so many people wanting to shoot with him...
Sorry not trying to sound all Selffish and stuff. Just want opinions and or experiences that helped you.

Dec 08 05 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Post good images.

Market yourself by participating.  People notice if you make sense and have the book to back yourself up.

Dec 08 05 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

you answered your own question.

"shoot and grow in my talents "

It doesn't happen overnight, it's a learn as you go thing.  Per your post on what camera to buy, I posted a few recommendations.  You'll learn the most about lighting with a camera that gives you lots of control over it.  It will be hard to grow if you buy another point and shoot.

Dec 08 05 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

KRN Photography

Parma, Ohio, US

I've found that attending local group shoots is a good way to get some networking done, as well as getting to shoot with a lot of different models, thus increasing your portfolio.

Dec 08 05 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Mallory Bertrand Photog

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Thanks alot guys I really appreciate the advice.

Dec 09 05 01:33 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Shoot a lot. Even if you don't have people to shoot, find something that you can practice on. Think of yourself as a photographer first and a model photographer second. Work on lighting and composition to the point where they become automatic, so when you actually do start shooting people there'll be less to think about.

Corny but I've been shooting flowers 3-4 times a week since spring. If you can nail your lighting on something as delicate as a flower, then everything else feels easy.

Dec 09 05 03:07 am Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

Don't worry to work with models right now, when I started I use o ask all my friends to pose for me. Work with you have at hand.  Don't worry about get noticed right now... but always keep your name arround.
Good Lucky

Dec 09 05 03:54 am Link

Photographer

David Nusbaum

Rochester, Minnesota, US

Do worry about finding a lot of models to start off with. Find a couple of interesting people who are willing to work with you and start building your skills. If you get a hand full of good images in your portfolio, and you participate so people see you work, models will start to contact you.

Dec 10 05 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Mallory Bertrand Photog

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Ok well I will try that... as of right now I have been shooting alot of self portraits and working with that. But I am asking around to see if some friends will shoot with me.....

I had a friend that I shot ALOT and it got to the point where she accused me of having an Obsession with her... so its hard trying to find someone willing to shoot with me lol

Dec 11 05 12:08 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

It would help if you had some images that were attractive to models.  After all, they expect to get something similar to what's on your port.

And touch up the ones you do have.  No one wants pics with zits and such.

Paul

Dec 11 05 02:00 am Link

Photographer

ChrisChris

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Create a good website and promote it well (mine is NOT an exampel of this wink).
That's key.

Dec 11 05 07:07 am Link