Forums > Photography Talk > New Canon 20D for $799? Is this a scam or what?

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

Looky here: this link and tell me if this is legit?

Dec 08 05 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Scroll down the page and look at the prices on batteries, chargers, memory cards, etc.
I think this may be the place that strips the usual accesories and makes you pay a very high charge for things that usually come with the camera.

Dec 08 05 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

That's possible, but even so, it's still an incredible deal. I mean, it's a great price for just the body, and I already have batteries, lenses, chargers, etc., I was just worried if the business itself is legit or a scam of some type. I get paranoid of good deals around Christmas time!

Dec 08 05 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

FullRez

LADERA RANCH, California, US

Dec 08 05 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Playful Media wrote:
This says it all.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8519.html

I shoulda known...if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Thanks for the link. What an eye-opener!

Dec 08 05 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I got my Olympus E-10 back when it was still new to the market from some website for several hundred bucks under what everyone else was charging. In some cases it was cheaper than some dealers wholesale rates that THEY bought them for to resell. I dont know how they did it. I made damn sure it was not grey market, and everything came with it that should have. Oh well, I got a good deal on it, I was happy. Still use it for some macro and such. I also got a killer deal on my Canon GL2 video camera the same way, several hundred bucks cheaper than anyone else.

Dec 08 05 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Harrison Sweazea wrote:
That's possible, but even so, it's still an incredible deal. I mean, it's a great price for just the body, and I already have batteries, lenses, chargers, etc., I was just worried if the business itself is legit or a scam of some type. I get paranoid of good deals around Christmas time!

The thing is, if they're a place that does that, and you try to order just the body, you will get it about the time the first light snow begins to fall in Hell.

M

Dec 08 05 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

My rule of thumb, if the price is close to B&H or Adorama, it's probably legit.

That being said, I only deal with B&H or Adorama

Dec 08 05 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Bill Gunter wrote:
Scroll down the page and look at the prices on batteries, chargers, memory cards, etc.
I think this may be the place that strips the usual accesories and makes you pay a very high charge for things that usually come with the camera.

Exactly!  Just like that one fella who claimed that my 20D used package was too high because they could find all that I was selling, + more, brand new, for less! When I did a check with B&H, I came up with a total of more than 700.00 for what I was selling, if I were buying it new from them..  So,.....IF what they were selling was indeed brand new, and were selling for LESS than my package, I'll bet a hundred bucks it was a "bait & switch" scam.  wink

"If it looks too good to be true, it probably is"..

-Clark Howard

JP

Dec 08 05 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

For info on scams, read what photo.net members had to say about these camera equipment selling stores:

http://www.photo.net/neighbor/subcategory-index?id=2

Enjoy the horrible stories!!  wink

JP

Dec 08 05 04:07 pm Link