Forums > Photography Talk > Fine Art Still Life Sales Question

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I was curious if any of you who do fine art still lifes have ever heard of any fine art still life photographers also offering for sale the subject of their still life photograph? For instance, this may sound strange but I have this piece of   driftwood that to me has beautiful lines in it and has a  natural gloss to it which I assume is a result of being sort of sand polished maybe? I want to do some black and white close ups of the curves of the wood and its grain, as well as full shots of the entire piece. I was also thinking of offering the mounted piece of wood itself for sale to someone who buys one of the prints.

Is this a silly idea? Or has it actually been done by some?

Dec 09 05 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

All of these fine art photographers on here and none have input for this? smile

Dec 10 05 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

well...most of my fine art still life shots are of things that remained where they were.  Sounds like an interesting idea though.

Dec 10 05 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

My "still lifes" are of people.  I think there would be a lot of kicking and screaming if I wanted to include them in the deal.

Dec 10 05 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Handicrafters combine real materials with representations (as do model builders, diorama designers, etc.).  You could do it that way--make the material the 3-D foreground of the 2-D photograph(s) about it.  In fact, take the idea farther (to excess if possible): find materials, photograph them, arrange them along several yards of isolated space set off by each object and supported by composited (like Hockney), life-sized photo-illustrations of their environments (or mix up the environments and objects). 

Lease out the whole thing as an installation.

Dec 10 05 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Ivan123 wrote:
My "still lifes" are of people.  I think there would be a lot of kicking and screaming if I wanted to include them in the deal.

I mean still lifes as in inanimate objects(such as the driftwood mentioned in my OP). Humans are not inanimate,lol.

Dec 10 05 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

commart wrote:
Handicrafters combine real materials with representations (as do model builders, diorama designers, etc.).  You could do it that way--make the material the 3-D foreground of the 2-D photograph(s) about it.  In fact, take the idea farther (to excess if possible): find materials, photograph them, arrange them along several yards of isolated space set off by each object and supported by composited (like Hockney), life-sized photo-illustrations of their environments (or mix up the environments and objects). 

Lease out the whole thing as an installation.

Iam sure I could but what does this have to do what what I asked,lol.

Dec 10 05 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I was curious if any of you who do fine art still lifes have ever heard of any fine art still life photographers also offering for sale the subject of their still life photograph? For instance, this may sound strange but I have this piece of   driftwood that to me has beautiful lines in it and has a  natural gloss to it which I assume is a result of being sort of sand polished maybe? I want to do some black and white close ups of the curves of the wood and its grain, as well as full shots of the entire piece. I was also thinking of offering the mounted piece of wood itself for sale to someone who buys one of the prints.

Is this a silly idea? Or has it actually been done by some?

This is a good idea. I have done this several times.  It is a good way of getting more for your work.

Dec 10 05 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I mean still lifes as in inanimate objects(such as the driftwood mentioned in my OP). Humans are not inanimate,lol.

Those were supposed to be "facitious" quotes.  Oh, well.  OK, let's talk seriously about still life.  What does a still life usually contain?  And stop me when we get to the things collectors will want to buy.  When I think of still lifes, I think of fruit, usually apples and oranges.  ALWAYS a pomegranate.  Sometimes flowers, preferably half dead.  As for totally dead, some game.  A duck is nice, rabbits better, both bound by their feet, hanging upside down, the latter with a little blood dripping from his nose.  Being able to portray the reflections off of the shiny scales of a fish was considered a particular challenge to an artist, so a large floppy salmon was sort of a tour de force.  I see a yard sale shaping up here real nicely.

Dec 10 05 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Ivan123 wrote:

Those were supposed to be "facitious" quotes.  Oh, well.  OK, let's talk seriously about still life.  What does a still life usually contain?  And stop me when we get to the things collectors will want to buy.  When I think of still lifes, I think of fruit, usually apples and oranges.  ALWAYS a pomegranate.  Sometimes flowers, preferably half dead.  As for totally dead, some game.  A duck is nice, rabbits better, both bound by their feet, hanging upside down, the latter with a little blood dripping from his nose.  Being able to portray the reflections off of the shiny scales of a fish was considered a particular challenge to an artist, so a large floppy salmon was sort of a tour de force.  I see a yard sale shaping up here real nicely.

This made me want to go pick up a pack of pomegranate seeds dammit,lol. As for the flowers, I am glad I am not the only one who likes those for shooting. I am working on a series and have just the right name for them which shall remain secret for now,lol. I might self publish a book soon.

Dec 11 05 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Marvin Dockery wrote:
This is a good idea. I have done this several times.  It is a good way of getting more for your work.

Tell me of some examples? This particular piece of driftwood is one I actually bought. It is mounted on a plaque of stained wood. I saw it and it was almost like it was telling me to buy it,lol.

Dec 11 05 02:10 am Link