Forums > Photography Talk > Diffuse glow - The Holy Grail?

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I have just discovered the joys of Photoshop's diffuse glow.

This seems to give images that certain look that a lot of photographers have in their work.

Not to mention that it makes the subject look younger.

Kind of like a digital MUA!

Dec 09 05 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Can you post a sample?

Dec 09 05 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

i luv diffuse glow, found it about 2 years ago, its a winner, the goth shot on my port is done with it.

Dec 09 05 10:34 pm Link

Model

liviamodel

SOUTHWEST, Pennsylvania, US

https://www.liviafanclub.com/photos/1/1.jpg

Dec 09 05 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

It has been mentioned before, but diffuse glow can be easily abused.

Dec 09 05 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

rp_photo wrote:
I have just discovered the joys of Photoshop's diffuse glow.

Step 4

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=14462

Dec 09 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

liviamodel wrote:

livia, diffuse glow is not something you need, ever.

Dec 09 05 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Step 14 (Creating plastic): Man, I remember this filter called "Diffuse Glow", it made things pretty smooth....I bet if I edit the person's face, then apply that filter.....OMG, that's perfect, her skin is so smooth, she doesn't even have any pores!  YES!.

Dec 09 05 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

If'n yer goin' fer an arteeestik look, it's kewl.

If you're trying to achieve a photographic look, it's very hard to make it look anything other than artificial--so much work that it's usually faster and more effective to not use it.

It depends on your goals.

Dec 09 05 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

liviamodel wrote:

perfect use of the tool

Dec 09 05 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

wow..im surprised you can use yours..theres a guy in the tampa market that uses so much of..i cant use mine..its like the diffuse glow well has run dry from over use...

Dec 09 05 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

When I first discovered Diffuse Glow, I thought it was the shiat.  I quickly burned myself out on it.  Now I really only like if I can't tell it was used.  It has to be subtle and work seemlessly with the image.

Dec 10 05 02:33 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Diffuse glow is absolutely the quickest, easiest, and best way to identify yourself as an internet photographer. (Internet models usually love it.)

Dec 10 05 03:37 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Diffuse glow is absolutely the quickest, easiest, and best way to identify yourself as an internet photographer. (Internet models usually love it.)

ding - ding - ding - ding we have winner ladies and gentleman !!!!!

BRAVO!.

Dec 10 05 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I once had a model complain about leaving zits and pores in the images. Diffuse glow would have helped there for sure.

And I agree that the potential for abuse is vast.

Dec 10 05 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Dossett Photography

Lovejoy, Georgia, US

But what about the Wedding/Portrait martket? They love it too. And it's used in a lot of art and commercial shots as well.

Dec 10 05 10:03 am Link

Photographer

quietnow

rp_photo wrote:
I once had a model complain about leaving zits and pores in the images. Diffuse glow would have helped there for sure.

I would have thought her solution was healing brush and clone stamp, not diffuse glow.

If your lighting isn't right, diffuse glow can cause real drama, like hotspots on the face being totally blown out.

Dec 10 05 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

pkun1 wrote:
I would have thought her solution was healing brush and clone stamp, not diffuse glow.

If your lighting isn't right, diffuse glow can cause real drama, like hotspots on the face being totally blown out.

That's actually how I addressed the problem. I did not know about diffuse glow then.

When I first started at all this, I saw sharpening as being the holy grail, and quickly learned how easily it can be overdone. Now I realize diffuse glow may be more of the same thing.

Dec 10 05 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

I admit that I'm a recovering diffused glowoholic.  I'm trying to cut back but using the edit > fade function in PS and then use the history brush to remove most of the glow except where it is really needed but it has been a tough battle as most of my models are enablers as they tend to love the effect.

I'm trying to use plug-ins like Mystical lightings to slowly wean myself from the plastic effect of the glow, but the glow is so bright, so inviting, so seductive... and I am so weak...

Dec 10 05 11:08 am Link

Photographer

S19

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

"Diffuse glow - The Holy Grail?"

LMAO

Dec 10 05 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

I'll admit when I first discovered it I WAY overused it...but it still has it's place.
I use it a lot on children's portraits when I'm doing hand-coloring.

Dec 11 05 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

RobHowardStudios

Mount Pleasant, Michigan, US

JBPhoto wrote:
I'll admit when I first discovered it I WAY overused it...but it still has it's place.
I use it a lot on children's portraits when I'm doing hand-coloring.

Clone tool at about 20% from a couple of different sources. It leaves the suggestion of pores. It's perfect for wiping out zits, lines, and softening glow.

Automatic fuctions produce generic results.

Dec 11 05 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Holy Grail? No. But it will bail you out of some situations where you have accidently blown out some backgrounds.

Dec 11 05 01:25 pm Link