Forums > Photography Talk > If anyone uses Canon paper...

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

Office Depot sells them 2 packs for 1 on occassion, my local store today has the sale going on...  They never have the 13x19 paper, but if you use 4x6, 5x7 and 8.5x11 Canon papers, it's a good deal...

Dec 10 05 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Tejas Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Do they have the Pro?  I am stocked up on the others right now, but thanks I will check it out.  Guess I have never noticed it

Dec 10 05 01:41 pm Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

i prefer the epson papers....cause i use an epson printer =P

Dec 10 05 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I have a couple of packs of the Canon 8 1/2x 11 pro paper since I found that Costco prints 8x12 for $1.50 ea.

I quite printing at home.....

Dec 10 05 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I have an i9900 but do not like Canon paper........the only thing that works for me is Ilford Classic Pearl.........have they finally branched out and made lustre and a thicker matte paper? Or just the same old glossy?

Dec 10 05 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Tejas Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Jay Farrell wrote:
I have an i9900 but do not like Canon paper........the only thing that works for me is Ilford Classic Pearl.........have they finally branched out and made lustre and a thicker matte paper? Or just the same old glossy?

I have not tried the Classic, not as happy with the Smooth Pearl.  So anyone used Moab paper?  Just curious, tried a search but no hits.

Dec 10 05 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Tejas Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
I have a couple of packs of the Canon 8 1/2x 11 pro paper since I found that Costco prints 8x12 for $1.50 ea.

I quite printing at home.....

You gonna be home later, I stop by and take them off your hands.  Oh wait...

I have never wanted to figure the cost of printing at home, too scared.

Dec 10 05 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Richard Roesler wrote:

I have not tried the Classic, not as happy with the Smooth Pearl.  So anyone used Moab paper?  Just curious, tried a search but no hits.

I'm sorry, I meant to say Smooth Pearl.....that is what I use.

Dec 10 05 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tejas Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Jay Farrell wrote:

I'm sorry, I meant to say Smooth Pearl.....that is what I use.

It was recommended to me at the photo store, tried some Kodak stuff too, which I did not like.  Think I am going to get the sample packs of Ilford & I think Moab has one as well.  Of course neither of these is any cheaper.

Dec 10 05 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I have used Costco's store brand paper, called kirkland, very glossy and very white. have used it for 6 -9 months and have some shots printed via epson 785epx, and they still have good color and white is still white on borders.And price is great too, 18.00 for 125 sheets(8.5 x11)

I have tried Kodaks new "pro Paper" they were giving samples out via US mail and i got 2 sample packs(5 sheet ea), have only printed 1 pic on it, and have not studied it that much yet, but does seem nice.

question, i bought a canon 1600 printer, supposed to be a photo printer, have not used it yet(got it cheap), are they any good??? some body throw me some feed-back on the printer please.
also....how about some feed-back on new shot on my port too please

Dec 10 05 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

I love the Canon Glossy Pro paper. Here's something interesting.. If you've ever tried to print photos with a digital BW conversion, you'll see a slight color shift when printing to the glossy paper. I've found that printing BW converted pictures on the Canon matte paper, you don't get that color shift. If you've had that problem with the glossy, then try the matte for BW shots..it's worked for me.

Best of luck to you all!
Patrick :-)

Dec 10 05 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Richard Roesler wrote:

It was recommended to me at the photo store, tried some Kodak stuff too, which I did not like.  Think I am going to get the sample packs of Ilford & I think Moab has one as well.  Of course neither of these is any cheaper.

Kodak makes a GREAT matte paper, but will only work in commercial Fuji type printers. Or I'd use it!

Dec 10 05 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Just keep in mind, with the ilford, Smooth is used for pigmented inks, and Classic is for Dye Based ink (or the other way around ), Dont mix them up when getting one for the canon, and one for the pigmented epson (2200, 1800, R800, 2400 etc).

For one that seems to work for both is a little more consumer grade ilford "Printasia" perl finish paper.

As for the canon stuff, I wouldnt buy anything less than Canon's Photo Paper Pro. I noticed on the normal non-pro and the Plus paper fading would occur even with the BCI-6 inks just after 6 to 9 months, but not with the Pro + BCI-6 geinuine ink. Supposibly this isnt a problem with the new BCI-8 , but epson especially the pigmented ones seem to be better in the long run, just be sure to check which ilford you get because it does make a difference between pigmented and dye based.

Dec 10 05 05:41 pm Link