Forums > Photography Talk > Epson R1800 Printer Help

Photographer

Bruce Kingsbury

Easley, South Carolina, US

I am posting this as a new topic because I wanted the Epson Pro level printer owners out there to all have an opportunity to seee this information and didn't want it buried deep in a thread where they might never see it.

I worked most of last year on a marketing program for the Epson Stylus Pro 4000 printer. This was the desktop model professional grade printer capiable of printinng sheet or roll fed up to 17" wide, full photo quality with archival quality inks. The printer is amazing and is spawning a number of offshoots directed at a more cost conscious market. Dig. Plus Photo posted a problem with one of these new offshoot printers, the R1800.

Now I am not going to claim to be an expert with either of these printers but I do know that they are, in my humble opinion, one of the bigger steps forward for digital photography! They allow true lab quality prints, with archival quality unsurpassed at a more than reasonable cost. On my R1800 I am estimating my cost for a 13x19 print at about $2.00 - $2.50. Not too shabby although I could be a bit wrong too.

The inks used are pigment inks and are rated by the Wilhelm group at over 100 years with no appriciable loss of color.... and I can tell you from personal experience... they are VERY scratch/scuff resistant! My own test was to staple a print to a  tree in my backyard for 30 days... Untreated out in the elemnts, and to also pun a copy of the same print in the back window of my car for the same 30 days. When compared to my baseline print I could tell no difference in color at all. I was amazed!!! (Well, the one from the tree was a but weatherworn but the colors were still amazing!)

Any of you considering buying an Epson or already owning one will be well advised to shell out the $30 for an online class called the Epson Print Academy:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/Prin … Cookie=yes

Worth EVERY cent of the cost!!! ANd you get the videos so you can go back and watch them over and over again!

Hope this all helps.

Dec 10 05 09:00 pm Link