Forums > General Industry > Models And Physical Appearances

Photographer

Anthony Citrano

Venice, California, US

Posted by Herb Way: 
This is the fattest country in the world.     

Exactly.

May 31 05 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Anthony Citrano

Venice, California, US

Posted by theda: 
Take heart! Slight undereating isn't really considered a dfisorder, at least by medical professionals. The critea fro compulsive eating and anorexia nervosa are about equally as strict.

Hi Theda,

I suspect you are exactly right in re: a professional diagnosis - I'm sure the DSM has equal criteria for each.  However, I am talking about the cultural assumptions.  Americans are dying by the hundreds of thousands due to obesity related issues, yet having several large meals a day is considered entirely acceptable.

I've seen it happen to friends / girlfriends many times.  If she decides to get a salad while her friends get the lasagna and hot fudge sundae, people have no problem making comments like, "you're too skinny - EAT, EAT!" but could she say to them, with equal social acceptability, "you're a lardass, you might want to skip this one?"  No.

I just think we have it very backwards in this society - but it definitely aligns with us being so consumption-focused.

May 31 05 12:10 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I think it's related to the politically correct fat acceptance trend.  It's rude and hurtful to all someone fat and tell them to diet, but it's not rude and hurtful to call them skinny and tell them to eat.  The underlying assumption still being skinny is better than fat, so skinny people don't need common curtesy.

May 31 05 12:17 am Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

skinny or fat, these are labels. modeling, as we all know, is based on your LOOKS. come on, this isn't rocket science! you're what the client/photographer/etc is looking for or you aren't.  i think you have to care about your appearance to want to play in this arena.

i am happy with my body, but always trying to maintain my figure. this means diet, exercise, plenty of water, etc, etc, and having a realistic impression of what direction i should take my modeling career.  i'm 5'8". i weigh 125 lbs. i am pretty muscular/toned. my body type does not lend itself to high fashion work, nor am i 16!  but i do have a commercial look, and could do fitness modeling. 

we have to be happy with ourselves, and yes, if someone gives me an honest assessment (hey, Zoe, what's up with the extra 5 lbs), then i have to look in the mirror and within myself to do something about it, or understand that it may be hindering my efforts to get WORK as a model.

i don't think we need to offend/preach/lecture to anyone. if they (or i) don't quite 'get it', then we also won't get that booking.  wink

May 31 05 08:04 am Link

Model

Jenni

Chicago, Illinois, US

reminds me, there is this girl and her mom has been asking me to get her into modeling, shes got pretty face and a decent body minus a gut and butt and not ina good way. I wanna be like dude you need to tone that shit up, but i dont know how to say it with out giving the girl a complex/eating disorder you know? I mean shes only 16 lol

May 31 05 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by theda: 
You're also perfectly welcome to tell her it's because of her gut, but I agree that giving her workout recommendations is uncalled for. If she's happy with her body, she won't listen. It's preachy and annoying to offer unsolicted advice like that.

You're saying that one should say "if you want A then you need to take care of B," but one should not say "if you want A then take care of B and you can do that by performing action C?"

I don't get that. What's wrong with offering advice? If that's what you mean then there is something subjective you're leaving out.

May 31 05 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 
Well, that's too bad. because i'm a bottom line person. if you're a sloppy fat ass, i'm going to tell you. Don't like it, tough cookies.

Sweet! lmao you've got to be the coolest guy on this site. Thanks and tell these cats that don't like what you're saying to go find a sloppy fat ass to shoot with or shut the fuck up.

May 31 05 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Citrano

Venice, California, US

Posted by theda: 
I think it's related to the politically correct fat acceptance trend.  It's rude and hurtful to all someone fat and tell them to diet, but it's not rude and hurtful to call them skinny and tell them to eat.  The underlying assumption still being skinny is better than fat, so skinny people don't need common curtesy.

Absolutely.

May 31 05 01:11 pm Link

Model

Hel Inferna

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I only skimmed the thread so I apologize if my statements were already covered.

I am a chubby model, although i still get alot of photographers that want to work with me. I'm vegan and I work out about 4 times a week on average. It's just harder for for some people depending on how their body works. I think because I'm an "alternative model" people shoot me because of my hair and tattoos and look past the extra weight because I'm not huge, just a bit overweight. I work hard at it, and hopefully one day I'll get back to how my body was before I had my daughter, or close to it anyways. I never get mad when a photographer says i'm overweight and he doesn't want to work with me, because I know that I am, and i am trying to do something about it.

I see alot of models that are way too skinny as well, with dark circles under their eyes and bones sticking out with no shape to them at all... wich is very unhealthy just the same. And I think its sad that girls strive twords this.

May 31 05 02:41 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

As for the example model if she's happy with how she looks and there are people interested in her for her appearance,then fine. You as a photographer are still not obligated to work with her if you don't think her appearance is up to snuff. You're also perfectly welcome to tell her it's because of her gut, but I agree that giving her workout recommendations is uncalled for. If she's happy with her body, she won't listen. It's preachy and annoying to offer unsolicted advice like that.

Well put and exactly what I was thinking.

May 31 05 02:45 pm Link

Model

Chill Factor

New York, New York, US

If I don't feel good about how I look, then chances are I won't allow myself to be photographed.Personally,,, if I was more than 10 pounds overweight I wouldnt do it,, same applies to every aspect of my appearance,,if i feel like i look tired or am just not happy with how my skin looks,,I dont want to be in front of a camera.

May 31 05 03:02 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

No, I'm saying it's okay to say "I won't shoot you because of X." It's not okay to tell someone how to fix themselves if they didn't ask for that advice. People tend to resent unsolicited advice, especially if they're not unhappy with with what you're advising them to change. 

"You'll never be a model unless you lose weight. Here's how!" is rude and not likely to garner a positive reaction. It's none of anyone else's concern.

"I won't work with you because you're overweight" is simply honest.

Posted by Ched: 

Posted by theda: 
You're also perfectly welcome to tell her it's because of her gut, but I agree that giving her workout recommendations is uncalled for. If she's happy with her body, she won't listen. It's preachy and annoying to offer unsolicted advice like that.

You're saying that one should say "if you want A then you need to take care of B," but one should not say "if you want A then take care of B and you can do that by performing action C?"

I don't get that. What's wrong with offering advice? If that's what you mean then there is something subjective you're leaving out.

May 31 05 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Posted by Hel Inferna: 
I only skimmed the thread so I apologize if my statements were already covered.

I am a chubby model, although i still get alot of photographers that want to work with me. I'm vegan and I work out about 4 times a week on average. It's just harder for for some people depending on how their body works. I think because I'm an "alternative model" people shoot me because of my hair and tattoos and look past the extra weight because I'm not huge, just a bit overweight. I work hard at it, and hopefully one day I'll get back to how my body was before I had my daughter, or close to it anyways. I never get mad when a photographer says i'm overweight and he doesn't want to work with me, because I know that I am, and i am trying to do something about it.

I see alot of models that are way too skinny as well, with dark circles under their eyes and bones sticking out with no shape to them at all... wich is very unhealthy just the same. And I think its sad that girls strive twords this.

Based on your profile and photos, I definitely wouldn't classify you as fat.  I see you as curvy and sensuous.  All other factors being the same, if I had to choose between you at 5'11" and 176 pounds and another model of the same height at 50 pounds lighter, I'd choose you.  I find it difficult to see artistic appeal in protruding bones and pencil thin limbs. 

May 31 05 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by theda: 
No, I'm saying it's okay to say "I won't shoot you because of X." It's not okay to tell someone how to fix themselves if they didn't ask for that advice. People tend to resent unsolicited advice, especially if they're not unhappy with with what you're advising them to change. 

"You'll never be a model unless you lose weight. Here's how!" is rude and not likely to garner a positive reaction. It's none of anyone else's concern.

Posted by Ched: 

Posted by theda: 

It's like this, as a photographer, I would want more from a person than them just saying "Hey, your pics suck." Tell me WHY my pics suck, that way I can change and stop doing the sucky shit. of course, this advice would have to come from someone who's port was better than mines, lol
So with a model/potential model, I gladly give them more than a "no thnk you." I tell them why I said no thank you, because i'm sure that 95% of the other photogs won't, thus leaving her in the dark as to why she can't get any work. That in itself is cruel and would discourage someone who with a little work, can actually be in this business.

I'd rather hear/tell the painful truth than a deceptive lie any day.

May 31 05 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by theda: 

I think this is probably a cultural difference. "Mind your own business" is not a universal expression.

May 31 05 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Ched:
I think this is probably a cultural difference. "Mind your own business" is not a universal expression.

It's not a cultural thing, it's a mindset. Some people just aren't cold enough to be blunt with others, and some are. I'm black, Simon Cowell is white, yet we share the (almost) same mindset when it comes to dealing with people. Hell, if A.I. was one big ole ass kissing contest (which Paula Abdul would win hands down) that show would have flopped INSTANTLY!!! Truth hurts, no doubt, but it's so freakin needed!!!

The truth is NOT the dark side of the force, the lies and deception are. lol

May 31 05 06:05 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Wait!

Does the model have a LITTLE GUT or is she actually OVERWEIGHT? Cause a LITTLE GUT isint really nothing but if she's OVERWEIGHT then yeah. Even though I've seen some beautiful thicker ladies.

May 31 05 08:48 pm Link

Model

The Beans

New York, New York, US

Now I've been questioning everyone's intelligence for a while now- especially in the Shout Box. It turns out no one can carry on a decent conversation. Sad, but true.
We live in a big world- and "models" are different throughout the world. I know-gasp!-shocker!
In Russia, women with- dare I say it-flesh- are top runway models- top celebrities. Then they come here to the states and never get hired. Strange? I think so. Since they are not even a size ten at the least and six foot three!
Would any of you call them fat?!
How long have most of you models been modeling? What, the most five years? You're babies! I'm twenty-four years old- still a child and have been modeling almost my entire LIFETIME! I do not care to share with everyone all my credits...yada...yada...yada. It doesn't matter. That's the past. I've ridden the fashion-size tidal wave. Been there done that. I'm here to please me now. I don't sell my soul anymore to the highest bidder.
SCREW THAT SH*T!
"The model way"- first of all- I got that the first time she said it- I mean HELLO are you people all SLOW!!!
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know these things!
Anyone can become a model- be it fat,ugly,skinny,short,tall
and most importantly stupid- that'll get you in free of    charge. These are are labels created by people- who all have their own opinion brainwashed by society.
But hopefully you'll find some real artists who follow their OWN lead and make real ART- and make their own society that'll include freethinkers!

May 31 05 09:48 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I'm sorry. Is the difference between being blunt and saying  "I don't want to shoot your fat ass" and being preachy and saying "Here's how to get less fat!" that hard to comprehend? By all mean, turn down people and tell them why, but don't try to to "fix" them.

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Ched:

It's not a cultural thing, it's a mindset. Some people just aren't cold enough to be blunt with others, and some are. I'm black, Simon Cowell is white, yet we share the (almost) same mindset when it comes to dealing with people. Hell, if A.I. was one big ole ass kissing contest (which Paula Abdul would win hands down) that show would have flopped INSTANTLY!!! Truth hurts, no doubt, but it's so freakin needed!!!

The truth is NOT the dark side of the force, the lies and deception are. lol

Serenabeana: Please enlighten us as to the mystery of the "model" way then. Now, knowing Amber, she's probably just advocating eating disorders again, but I'd like her to stop mincing words. It would make it much easier for us to tell her mental illness isn't the "model way." But then again, she won't come out and say what she means because she knows she wouldn't find much support.

Jun 01 05 12:54 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by theda: 

Posted by theda: 
I'm sorry. Is the difference between being blunt and saying  "I don't want to shoot your fat ass" and being preachy and saying "Here's how to get less fat!" that hard to comprehend? By all mean, turn down people and tell them why, but don't try to to "fix" them.

theda you've got to be joking here. People will resent unsolicited advice & think it rude, but telling someone you don't want to shoot their fat ass will get you hearts and flowers? I think I missed the chapter where Miss Manners said it's not rude to call someone a fat ass and the study that shows most people wouldn't mind hearing it...

So since my statistics show that only .003% of the population won't think it rude to be called a fat ass while being rejected by a photographer, then yes, the difference is incredibly hard to comprehend! Even if there was a inexplicable & miraculously high percentage of that .003% who didn't mind being called a fat ass but that would be offended by the unsolicited advice you'd still be talking about some fraction of .003% of the people!

Jun 01 05 06:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

If I were to comment - I would get lynched and then burned at the stake...

Jun 01 05 08:01 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Aaron, it depends on how you phrase it (obviously). But it is always less rude and less offensive to tell someone they are not up to your standards (which they should hear) than it is to tell them how to live.

Posted by Aaron_H: 

Posted by theda: 

Posted by theda: 

theda you've got to be joking here. People will resent unsolicited advice & think it rude, but telling someone you don't want to shoot their fat ass will get you hearts and flowers? I think I missed the chapter where Miss Manners said it's not rude to call someone a fat ass and the study that shows most people wouldn't mind hearing it...

So since my statistics show that only .003% of the population won't think it rude to be called a fat ass while being rejected by a photographer, then yes, the difference is incredibly hard to comprehend! Even if there was a inexplicable & miraculously high percentage of that .003% who didn't mind being called a fat ass but that would be offended by the unsolicited advice you'd still be talking about some fraction of .003% of the people!

Jun 01 05 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Well I'm not convinced there's any way to tell a wannabee model they're too fat without offending them no matter how you phrase it, with the vast majority of people anyway. But I was just commenting on the example you used, it may not be the best way to phrase it! smile

I think the way one would phrase the unsolicited advice could also make a difference in whether it was offensive or not, but you're right that something like that would be risky

Jun 01 05 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by Reese: 

Oh holy hell Reese, go ahead and say it! I promise I'll come save you if they try any lynching or burning! Unless of course you're directing something at me smile

Jun 01 05 09:34 am Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Posted by *Serenabeana1*: 

Now I've been questioning everyone's intelligence for a while now- especially in the Shout Box. It turns out no one can carry on a decent conversation. Sad, but true.
We live in a big world- and "models" are different throughout the world. I know-gasp!-shocker!
In Russia, women with- dare I say it-flesh- are top runway models- top celebrities. Then they come here to the states and never get hired. Strange? I think so. Since they are not even a size ten at the least and six foot three!
How long have most of you models been modeling? What, the most five years? You're babies! I'm twenty-four years old- still a child and have been modeling almost my entire LIFETIME! I do not care to share with everyone all my credits...yada...yada...yada. It doesn't matter. That's the past. I've ridden the fashion-size tidal wave. Been there done that. I'm here to please me now. I don't sell my soul anymore to the highest bidder.
SCREW THAT SH*T!
"The model way"- first of all- I got that the first time she said it- I mean HELLO are you people all SLOW!!!
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know these things!
and most importantly stupid- that'll get you in free of    charge. These are are labels created by people- who all have their own opinion brainwashed by society.
But hopefully you'll find some real artists who follow their OWN lead and make real ART- and make their own society that'll include freethinkers!

whoa, chill out. no need to be insulting.

I got it the first time she said it. I just wanted to give her a chance to clarify herself before I said anything about it.

and then I decided to leave it alone..or to send her a private message. It was a loaded statement; I chose not to fall into it.

I may humor someone sometimes, but I'm not stupid

Jun 01 05 10:05 am Link

Model

Angel Tara

Posted by theda: 
Serenabeana: Please enlighten us as to the mystery of the "model" way then. Now, knowing Amber, she's probably just advocating eating disorders again, but I'd like her to stop mincing words. It would make it much easier for us to tell her mental illness isn't the "model way." But then again, she won't come out and say what she means because she knows she wouldn't find much support.

EXACTLY!

Jun 01 05 10:08 am Link

Model

The Beans

New York, New York, US

Posted by *Serenabeana1*: 

SCREW THAT SH*T!

Hey this is the part that's really cool- I get to quote myself- AWESOME. Hey and what really gets me is that you people only concentrated on the "models way" part- HOW VERY INTERESTING, since that really wasn't the point of my reply that's why this time I quoted myself and deleted that part so maybe...just maybe you guys could focus on the serious part.
Crossing my fingers on this one;)

Jun 01 05 10:23 am Link

Model

Angel Tara

well my dear, I responded to the part about "the models way" because that was what was relevant to me. I really don't care about the rest of your rant or opinion. Pardonez moi if the rest of your post didn't incite a response from me. People post that stuff all the time. I guess thats why I didn't focus on the "serious" part.

Thank goodness anyone can be a model, or I wouldn't be here. smile

Be a free thinker? Well my thinker tells me I like to be skinny, and pretty, and I like commercial modeling and fashion...and thats wass sup...

Look, I'm not trying to argue...just responding to what was relevant to me...

it's not that serious! smile

Jun 01 05 11:04 am Link

Model

The Beans

New York, New York, US

Be a free thinker? Well my thinker tells me I like to be skinny, and pretty, and I like commercial modeling and fashion...and thats wass sup...

I absolutely LOVE this reply... all I have to say is- FIERCE! You belong in the fashion industry, never leave, ever! Thank god they found you! And thank your "thinker" for thinking for you- otherwise who would remind you to take your daily vitamins?

hugs and kisses!
Beans:)

Jun 01 05 02:23 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

My "thinker" also tells me that you can like being who you are, and everyone is happy.

insult people, free thinkers do not.

respect other's opinions, they do.

vitamin...oh yeah. I forgot...

btw, I'm naturally skinny. I used to bug the doctor about how to gain weight but now I've accepted my size. No more stress...mmm hmmm!

Jun 01 05 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Luminotes

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hi everyone...

Without trying to sound too "Pollyann-ish", I see beauty in most people. It seems to me that there is a common type of standard of beauty that is narrowly defined in North America. A certain body type, a certain style of photography, and I'm not saying that it's not without it's beauty, but it seems so common and so narrowly defined. I don't see it as often in portfolios that I see from elsewhere. 

I'd like to find a more mature model that I could work with, but in my area, there are few. Life factors aside, is it that the definition is too narrow to include them so that after they attain a certain age, they drop out of modeling? If so, that's unfortunate.

Commercial realities are what they are and they will always go after what sells. However, I think that there should be room for many types of models and many looks.

Cheers all, Jack

Jun 01 05 04:09 pm Link

Model

KARELEA

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Every market has specific requirements and that’s a standard. Successful ballerinas are all short and toothpick skinny, muscle competition models got some bulk, porn stars have ‘big’ voluptuous curves, fashion/runway models are tall and skinny, general commercial models are fit in all shapes and sizes….  The point is:
“model” work has too many sub-categories, what market are you fit for is what matters.

I encourage everyone to be healthy, overweight is not healthy but so is starving. My friends are not all models, in fact one of my closest friends are the opposite of me, short and ‘chubby’ to most but damn – she is toned, nothing on her body giggles. Her guy loves her the way she is, but she understands that fashion modeling wont happen to her and she cares less. No bid deal.

The right partner will love his girl with her imperfections and whatever her weight/look, the discussion is about MAKING A CAREER OFF OF BODY IMAGE.

Problem: models is too broad of a definition. Get specific, what kind of model.
Get Real: you can dream to become a known singer, but without a voice.. never gonna happen.
You can dream to become a ‘fashion’ model but if your not at least 5’8 and toned/slim… never gonna happen.
I am talking about a world standard here. Im talking about making $money$ here. Im talking about being truly successful in the international competition.

Ask this:
Will a known client want to pay you (your body image) to represent them in the world? What are you worth on the business level? Will you be able to sell their product in the huge competition?
Many sadly are clueless. They have no understanding of boundaries in business versus personal. Every job has its demands, don’t like it too bad. Fashion business has demands, don’t meet them – too bad. Nothing personal. Its all business.

Conclusion:
Everyone can take pictures, only few become true professionals who have a chance at shooting for top magazines. Everyone can play model in front of the camera, only few have the chance to actually make a full time career out of it. Every market is different with different demands, to successful you have to meet them. Business is business, personal is personal.
Confidence is crucial as in business and personal but so is being realistic.

Jun 01 05 04:52 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

good thing I dont dream of being a "successful" fashion model...

I dream of being a commercial nobody. Better yet, I don't dream...I just follow through day by day...

smile

Jun 01 05 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I think the point has been missed.

I didn't just come out and say that she was a sack of shit. Her and I had a discussion weeks ago about her body where she said she had a gut and needed to lose it. I gave her a deit/workout plan to take care of it. I checked back 2 weeks later and she only applied herself three times and felt that she was fine enough to shoot.

NO.

Jun 02 05 07:45 am Link

Model

Angel Tara

Posted by Monsante Bey: 
I think the point has been missed.

I didn't just come out and say that she was a sack of shit. Her and I had a discussion weeks ago about her body where she said she had a gut and needed to lose it. I gave her a deit/workout plan to take care of it. I checked back 2 weeks later and she only applied herself three times and felt that she was fine enough to shoot.

NO.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. smile I'm through now...it was fun yesterday but no more.

Back to the point...

Jun 02 05 08:07 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Posted by Aaron_H: 

Posted by Reese: 

Oh holy hell Reese, go ahead and say it! I promise I'll come save you if they try any lynching or burning! Unless of course you're directing something at me smile

No it's okay...  Last time I was crawling out of the battlefield with three broken limbs and a Weasel attached to @$$...  I'll pass...  I'm still healing from a previous attack before that and whirl-pool therapy is costing me a fortune.

Jun 02 05 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by Reese: 

Posted by Aaron_H: 

Posted by Reese: 

No it's okay...  Last time I was crawling out of the battlefield with three broken limbs and a Weasel attached to @$$...  I'll pass...  I'm still healing from a previous attack before that and whirl-pool therapy is costing me a fortune.

Well I'd be happy to come provide massage therapy, my rates are $150 an hour, 2 hour minimum and I absolutely will not massage in the nude, implied only!

Jun 02 05 09:08 am Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

LOL !!!  Can we get a happy ending for more?  lol...please nobody take that seriously.

Jun 02 05 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Aaron_H: 

Well I'd be happy to come provide massage therapy, my rates are $150 an hour, 2 hour minimum and I absolutely will not massage in the nude, implied only!

Don't forget to take an escort!

Jun 02 05 09:23 am Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

LOL....Do we have to cover traveling expenses?

Jun 02 05 09:24 am Link