Forums > Photography Talk > photo graphic vs digital graphic

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

a recent thread comparing b&w to color became a clusterfk of digital vs photographic arguments..

photo graphic, light

digital graphic, a computer

not saying i think either one is better, but when you do things in
photoshop you are a digital graphic artist, when you do things with light
you are a photo graphic artist....

when you change a color picture to black and white in photoshop you aren't changing a single photon to change the picture...

photo, photon, light...

Nov 26 07 11:58 am Link

Photographer

TheSBimage

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Not sure if there is a question in here or not, but weather I am using digital or film its all light to me.

Lotus Photography wrote:
a recent thread comparing b&w to color became a clusterfk of digital vs photographic arguments..

photo graphic, light

when you change a color picture to black and white in photoshop you aren't changing a single photon to change the picture...

photo, photon, light...

Nov 26 07 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

oops, okay, you go out take a picture, it's a photograph (digital or film), when you load it into your computer and manipulate it, that's digital graphic arts..

Nov 26 07 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Perish Photography

El Paso, Texas, US

i was here.

Nov 26 07 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Attah

London, England, United Kingdom

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/clubphotog/StopPostingJohnnyDepp.gif

Nov 26 07 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Alexander Image

Edison, Georgia, US

I am not fully against digital graphic, but every area has its own basic knowledge and skills. Like photography, you have to know exposure, shutter speed, lighting and so on. For a digital graphic, you also need to know some basic knowledge, such as composition, 3D effect (the relationship among light, grey and dark areas), and color theory and so on. If someone can not covert a color image to B&W well, it is hardly to say he or she can PS a color image very well.

---------------------------
Fight Internet Identity Theft
https://modelmayhem.com/p.php?thread_id=211083

Nov 26 07 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

actually, the point is..

sometimes you are a digital artist, sometimes you are a photographic artist, when you use photons you are doing photography, when you are using files in a computer and manipulating the with a computer you are a digital artist..

and if you don't like me starting a thread, or posting then don't go to a thread i start..

Nov 26 07 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Is somebody worried about their title?  Is this really an issue to anyone?  Or is the final result all that counts?

Who is so insecure with their work that this becomes an issue?

Nov 26 07 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Daguerre wrote:
Is somebody worried about their title?

in some threads people don't seem to know which they are..

i think someone aught to be able to say what they do..

like if you are a carpenter, you say, i'm a carpenter

you don't say

i'm a plumber

Nov 26 07 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Alexander Image

Edison, Georgia, US

Lotus Photography wrote:
and if you don't like me starting a thread, or posting then don't go to a thread i start..

If you don’t like hearing different opinions, you should not start a thread…

Nov 26 07 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Alexander Image wrote:
If you don’t like hearing different opinions, you should not start a thread…

i meant this guy

NSE Films wrote:
https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/clubphotog/StopPostingJohnnyDepp.gif

Nov 26 07 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Lotus Photography wrote:
in some threads people don't seem to know which they are..

i think someone aught to be able to say what they do..

like if you are a carpenter, you say, i'm a carpenter

you don't say

i'm a plumber

I am a photgrapher.  I create images with light and computers.  None of the advertising agencies or fortune 500 clients I've worked for have seen the need for a title adjustment.  All they know is that in the end I can produce for them a job that a traditional photographer alone could not.  Who would have an issue with this?  Which photographer's life is so lacking that he would feel the need to point at a digital artist who works with photography and say you are not a photographer?

I must be missing the point.  Are you trying to make the distinction between illustration and photgraphy?

Nov 26 07 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Daguerre wrote:
I am a photgrapher.  I create images with light and computers.  None of the advertising agencies or fortune 500 clients I've worked for have seen the need for a title adjustment.  All they know is that in the end I can produce for them a job that a traditional photographer alone could not.  Who would have an issue with this?  Which photographer's life is so lacking that he would feel the need to point at a digital artist who works with photography and say you are not a photographer?

I must be missing the point.  Are you trying to make the distinction between illustration and photgraphy?

the fact that most people can't tell the difference between digial graphics and photo graphics doesn't mean that i am lacking in some area..

like having basic communication skills

here's an other way..

you go to a movie, there's a directer of photography

there's also special effects..

most people who are doing well in the field can say what they do

i am a graphic artist

vs

i am a photographer

again, i'm not saying one or the other is better, i'm saying that there is a difference, and if you are going to market yourself you aught to be able to say what you do..

if there was an ad for a photographer in the paper, i'd answer it, if there was an ad for a graphic artist, i wouldn't 

knowing which you are is important

as a matter of fact...

Daguerre wrote:
May Photography, a commercial photographic studio.
Daguerre Imaging, a digital photo-illustration/ad production studio.

from your own page, you differentiate between the two types of work

Nov 26 07 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

IMS FotoGrafix

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

It's the same regardless of film or digital.
I shoot both and  the bottom line is you capture the image on a sensor or film and process it either in a lab or a computer, still photography

If you develop your photos chemically does that mean you should answer an ad for a chemist? That makes about as much sense as saying if you post-process on a computer then you are a graphic artist, two completely different things. Most graphic artists I know don't have a clue about photography, although some think they do.

Maybe you are referring to heavily photoshopped photos that are more or less salvage jobs but I'm talking about post-processing only.

Nov 26 07 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Tyler hasnt given us any other options.

Nov 26 07 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

IMS PHOTOGRAPHIC wrote:
It's the same regardless of film or digital.
I shoot both and  the bottom line is you capture the image on a sensor or film and process it either in a lab or a computer, still photography

it absolutly is, when you are using a camera to take a picture, that is photography

IMS PHOTOGRAPHIC wrote:
If you develop your photos chemically does that mean you should answer an ad for a chemist? That makes about as much sense as saying if you post-process on a computer then you are a graphic artist, two completely different things. Most graphic artists I know don't have a clue about photography, although some think they do.

yes, when you are doing stuff on the computer you are doing graphic arts

IMS PHOTOGRAPHIC wrote:
Maybe you are referring to heavily photoshopped photos that are more or less salvage jobs but I'm talking about post-processing only.

i mean post precessing too

thanks

Nov 26 07 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Lotus Photography wrote:

i am a graphic artist

vs

i am a photographer...

as a matter of fact...

from your own page, you differentiate between the two types of work

Some people photograph and retouch or just photograph or just retouch or do both and create layouts and seperations.  Some, like myself, print too.  I design and build high end Macs.  And make killer Enchiladas.  I can do other stuff too.

Are you saying that some photographers do not know what they do?  I must have missed an enlightened thread.

This seems all common sense to me.

Nov 26 07 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Daguerre wrote:
And make killer Enchiladas.

Prove it.
Im hungry.

Nov 26 07 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Lotus Photography wrote:
oops, okay, you go out take a picture, it's a photograph (digital or film), when you load it into your computer and manipulate it, that's digital graphic arts..

So, what is one called when they work in a darkroom?

Nov 26 07 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Daguerre wrote:

Some people photograph and retouch or just photograph or just retouch or do both and create layouts and separations.  Some, like myself, print too.  I design and build high end Macs.  And make killer Enchiladas.  I can do other stuff too.

Are you saying that some photographers do not know what they do?  I must have missed an enlightened thread.

This seems all common sense to me.

you'd think it would be common sense

and you'd think that people would have enough self interest to be able to say what they do..

besides, you sound cooler if you say

i'm a photographer and a graphic artist...

or

i'm a photographer who does a little graphic artistry

or

i'm a graphic artist who does a little photography

sounding like you know what you do goes a long way in life..

and when i say you i don't mean you Daguerre, i mean the general 'you'

Nov 26 07 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

IMS FotoGrafix

MMDesign wrote:

Apparently, according to this logic, you would then be a chemist.

Nov 26 07 01:47 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Jeff Koromi

Vernon, New Jersey, US

Why are people so concerned about titles? I like shooting film and processing in a darkroom, I also like shooting digital and processing in Photoshop... I enjoy drawing with my Wacom tablet and breaking out my brushed and inks for sumi-e work... then I'll go to work and design booklets and posters from other people's commissioned photo's and illu's.

Titles are all very limiting, it seems to me. The people that worry about them usually are just insecure about their own work. *shrug*

Nov 26 07 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

IMS PHOTOGRAPHIC wrote:

a>b doesn't mean b>a

it's called a syllogism

Nov 26 07 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

IMS PHOTOGRAPHIC wrote:

IMS PHOTOGRAPHIC wrote:
If you develop your photos chemically does that mean you should answer an ad for a chemist?

Yeah, But what about if you work in a darkroom?

Do it again, do it again......lol

Nov 26 07 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Koromi Art and Design wrote:
Why are people so concerned about titles? I like shooting film and processing in a darkroom, I also like shooting digital and processing in Photoshop... I enjoy drawing with my Wacom tablet and breaking out my brushed and inks for sumi-e work... then I'll go to work and design booklets and posters from other people's commissioned photo's and illu's.

Titles are all very limiting, it seems to me. The people that worry about them usually are just insecure about their own work. *shrug*

it's about knowing what you are doing enough to say what you are doing without sounding retarded

Nov 26 07 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

MMDesign wrote:

IMS PHOTOGRAPHIC wrote:

Actually, those that only develop prints in the wet darkroom are called darkroon technicians, or printers.

Those that create the chimistry used by the darkroom technicians are the chemists.

There really is not an issue as to talent titles, is there?  Y'alls is pulling our legs.

Nov 26 07 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Lotus Photography wrote:
it's about knowing what you are doing enough to say what you are doing without sounding retarded

So I ask again-- who doesn't know what they do?

Nov 26 07 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

IMS FotoGrafix

Caspers Creations wrote:

IMS PHOTOGRAPHIC wrote:

I was getting  in on the logistic stylings of the OP and his need for labelling, my own darkroom work sure doesn't make me a...you know, lol

Nov 26 07 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Daguerre wrote:

So I ask again-- who doesn't know what they do?

in a recent thread some folks were telling me that working in photoshop is equal to photography

Nov 26 07 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Los Angeles, California, US

Daguerre wrote:
Is somebody worried about their title?  Is this really an issue to anyone?  Or is the final result all that counts?

Who is so insecure with their work that this becomes an issue?

LOL thank you steven.

Nov 26 07 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Davis Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Lotus Photography wrote:

photo graphic, light

photo, photon, light...

PHOTOGRAPH:  An image recorded on light-sensitive material.

A digital sensor is a light sensitive material. wink

Nov 26 07 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

TheSBimage

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I disagree, my checks are for photography even though the product I deliver where edited in a computer.

regards
Ray

Lotus Photography wrote:

Nov 26 07 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Stenhouse

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Lotus Photography wrote:

photo, photon, light...

The photon's coming off my monitor are different. What if you shoot colour film and make black and white prints from it... are you a graphic artist then?

I don't understand the need to make others adhere to your definition of a word. Or why it would bother you. These things tend to only concerns those who need to go to war (literal or figuratively) over something. The real world cares little for definitions.

Nov 26 07 02:05 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Jeff Koromi

Vernon, New Jersey, US

Lotus Photography wrote:
in a recent thread some folks were telling me that working in photoshop is equal to photography

It's not if you're editing someone else's work in photoshop, like if you were a professional retoucher. But if you take a photo and do the processing yourself (digital or traditional), then yes, you are a photographer.

Saying the opposite would be like saying you're not an oil painter if your using a palette knife instead of a brush.

It's just a matter of what tools you use.

Nov 26 07 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Lotus Photography wrote:

you'd think it would be common sense

and you'd think that people would have enough self interest to be able to say what they do..

besides, you sound cooler if you say

i'm a photographer and a graphic artist...

or

i'm a photographer who does a little graphic artistry

or

i'm a graphic artist who does a little photography

sounding like you know what you do goes a long way in life..

and when i say you i don't mean you Daguerre, i mean the general 'you'

why do you feel a need to be one over the other?

or why do you feel a need to label what you do as an artist with one or two words?

why don't we just all call ourselves artists, then?

i understand we want to be associated with the process maybe?  but that actually stemmed from social issues back in the day when only a certain class could afford to use certain media.  nowadays everything is available to everyone, and mixed media is the norm. 

why must we limit ourselves instead of taking advantage of all our resources to create art?  who dictates why i need to only use a camera vs taking my image through photoshop? 

i would rather have my work show that i know what i am doing rather than just SOUNDING like i know what i do.

Nov 26 07 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Koromi Art and Design wrote:

It's not if you're editing someone else's work in photoshop, like if you were a professional retoucher. But if you take a photo and do the processing yourself (digital or traditional), then yes, you are a photographer.

Saying the opposite would be like saying you're not an oil painter if your using a palette knife instead of a brush.

It's just a matter of what tools you use.

or even better -- what does it matter what tools you use smile

Nov 26 07 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Bil Brown

I had a wonderful conversation over the holidays with a formerly film based photographer that was talking about his studio and how he dismantled his darkroom when he started to switch to digital. For HEALTH reasons...

Potentially hazardous chemicals over the relative ease of RAW digital post-processing... seems like a no brainer to me.

Yes, there is a learning curve... just as much as there is a learning curve for digital artists, production designers, art directors, and illustrators that use the computer to come to respect the  camera's power.

I think both works just fine. There are some photographers that work digitally that NEVER open their images in Photoshop. I respect that.

I also respect folks that can get it right on the first try.

I also think that a digital imagist is just as important in the 21st century as a glass and mirror based photographer and the roles are becoming more and more inter-changable. Just as a still photographer will eventually have to deal with motion. And everyone that posts here should completely understand the power of distribution/networking over the web... a primarily digital medium.

This discusssion, to me, is moot anymore.

Nov 26 07 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

TEKNOIMAGEZ

Rochester, New York, US

In THE end the final product is all that matters smile

Nov 26 07 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Alexander Image

Edison, Georgia, US

Caspers Creations wrote:

If you work in a darkroom, you have to know photography. I don't know if someone worked in a darkroom didn't know photography, besiders if a photographer knows a darkroom, only makes his or her photography better.

Nov 26 07 02:16 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Jeff Koromi

Vernon, New Jersey, US

Sean Armenta wrote:
or even better -- what does it matter what tools you use smile

This is a good point. The only times I ever explain how I do my work, it's more just due to a client's curiosity. If a client ever told me they didn't like my method, I'd tell them to find another artist then.

Nov 26 07 02:17 pm Link