Forums > General Industry > brownstyle.net stealing images

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

E Johnson wrote:
Only in Baltimore....

Actually, Houston TX is worse - much worse.

........... and that gives me an idea smile

bt

Dec 01 07 07:53 pm Link

Model

Eric J Erk

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:

bt

Yeah...I'll bet it is, considering how the happenings in Baltimore are slow as Molasses.  I'm just offended that no one stole my s**t.  What am I, not worthy or something? big_smile

What's your idea? borat

Dec 01 07 07:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Pink Beauty

Seattle, Washington, US

#1... If you personally did not steal the images, authorize the use of stolen images or approve images after you saw them

and

your designers work for a company then their employers need to know what has happened and you need to prove your claim to those employers so their are repercussions in their careers beyond getting a slap on the hand from you/your company.

#2... because you say that the designers are responsible for the copyright infringments it is obvious that you did not take the pictures yourself

which means

#2... If this is your company and you are in charge and the designers are not submitting costs \ for the hiring of models, photographers, wardrobe, makeup, wardrobe etc. and your accountant is not writing checks and accounting the books to cover these costs then you DO know something isn't quite right with what is going on. 

An honest company would be immediately suspicious, suspend the designers pending an immediate investigation of that and other work by those people until it is cleared up.  Turns out the claim is false, no problem. Turns out the claim is true uh-oh, get it cleared up with the copywrite holders before rather than after they find out... etc.

And lastly, even if someone does not put a watermark on their image, whether it is a photograph or writing or whatever, the placement of it on the Internet is copyrighted automatically.  Look into the laws.  Legitimate online businesses are quite knowledgeable about this fact.

P.

Dec 01 07 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

(cracks knuckles) Ok, heres going to be some popping

Dec 01 07 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Brucie...
You are a totally ACE guy.

Bloody hell.  I've never seen someone be so cool to someone that has blatantly tried to fuck them (Metaphorically!)...

I guess revenge IS a dish best served cold!

You RULE my friend.
T.

Dec 01 07 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:
You've not disclosed who is responsible for 'providing' you with my images.

Of course he hasn't.  These kind never do.

They all, every damned one of them, claim "my web designer did it".  It's the image thief version of "the dog ate my homework". 

But of course they won't say who is responsible, because THAT person would then be able to point the finger back at them.  They prefer to leave it all very vague and ambiguous, to avoid the clear, stark reality:  they are guilty.

Dec 01 07 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

TheLoftStudios

Houston, Texas, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:

bt

Bruce is RIGHT..... Here in Houston, these SOB's take whatever they want from whom ever they want.....

Dec 01 07 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Pink Beauty wrote:
#1... If you personally did not steal the images, authorize the use of stolen images or approve images after you saw them ...etc

Ummm
Y'all can stop now.

MM (when ya click on Rob Style's avatar) wrote:
Unable to show profile #249278
This members is either awaiting approval or has removed their profile from the site.

Dec 01 07 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:

Yup.

/Richard puts on his gray knight armor

Models, a word of advice (though I'm preaching to the choir):

The word "WE" is, to me, more of a wannabe/GWC red flag than even using the third person.

Some legitimate photographers do it, but it's obvious from their site that they are a team of people--a photographer with a MUA wife, two photographers shooting weddings, etc.

But usually, it's some no-name hack trying to start an agency/promotions company/movie studio/whatever from his mom's basement, hoping desperately that his old lady won't discover the castings for his sexy calendar project.

The other giveaway is an ridiculously overblown name (e.g., "Global Hot Model Professional Productions and Design, LLC").

Dec 01 07 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bruce Talbot wrote:
Check to see if he's stolen yours -

http://brownstyle.net/images/layout%202 … Eparty.jpg

and - http://www.myspace.com/brownstyles

Mine is easy to find.  Look for the logo........ big_smile

bt

and the music is quite annoying too!

Dec 01 07 11:25 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Decadence D

Chicago, Illinois, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:
You've not disclosed who is responsible for 'providing' you with my images.

lol I have a strong feeling he won't disclose who is responsible because than he'd be telling on himself.

*edit: just read above he's gone now hmm

Dec 02 07 01:16 am Link

Photographer

danno watts

Phoenix, Arizona, US

so funny too, taken directly from his myspace:

I do flyers to photoshoots so give me a note if you interested!

yeah, his 'designer' did it.  hahaha.

Rocksteady,
Danno~

Dec 02 07 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Blue Ash Film Group

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

In while I can.

Dec 02 07 04:00 am Link

Photographer

danno watts

Phoenix, Arizona, US

HAHAHAHA!!!

Fuckin hilarious.  It's like he just went through and randomly selected photographer's pictures that fit his need and just used 'em.

Here's another flyer of his from July, and look at that, Tony Chu's ( # 12542 ) watermark is still on it:

https://brownstyle.net/images/layout%202007/07_images/mypromos/PURE/7.19.07THURSDAY_promo_xanadu.jpg

just hilarious the audacity of this guy.  I'll send a link to this thread to tony as well.

Rocksteady,
Danno~

Dec 02 07 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Blue Ash Film Group

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I think we will miss such a "personality" on this site. After all, he is the "coolest photographer" in Baltimore. Apparently it is now cool to steal others work and use it as you wish.

Dec 02 07 04:25 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Damn, I wish he would have stolen my images. I need some cash for the holidays..
DRAT!

Dec 02 07 04:42 am Link

Photographer

danno watts

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Vance - True Image  wrote:
Damn, I wish he would have stolen my images. I need some cash for the holidays..
DRAT!

how about this.  you steal mine and i'll steal yours.  we'll screw over the legal system and we'll both have holiday cash!!!

Rocksteady,
Danno~

Dec 02 07 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Gasparri

Marietta, Georgia, US

A Twisted Mind wrote:

Usually people let you know, especially if they are a fan of your work...

Damn...you guys have fans.......  I thought that was extra or something....neutral

Dec 02 07 05:05 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Bunny Images

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Robstyles Photo wrote:
I do apologize about the mix up with the photos. We @ Brownstyle.net did not intend to get this type of reaction from the photography community. We have many designers that assist in creating ads and unfortunately the photos were used and we are sorry, and are apologetic about that.

If anyone has a problem with clearing a issue, feel to contact me @

[email protected]

..and we will clear up any issues you have with me personally or any issues with the company.

again we do apologize for any inconvenience this matter may have caused, and we are currently working with our web designers to clear up the issue.

Sounds like a feeble B*** S*** excuse to me.  Maybe if you were telling the truth you looser, you'd fire the dweeb responsible and let everyone know that you did.  I think in addition to BS I smell someone frantically covering their ass!

Dec 02 07 05:11 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

The Photo Collective wrote:

how about this.  you steal mine and i'll steal yours.  we'll screw over the legal system and we'll both have holiday cash!!!

Rocksteady,
Danno~

Cha Ching!

Dec 02 07 05:17 am Link

Model

babyjenny

Abbeville, Alabama, US

shouldn't this go to ... like court?
i mean.. it's a very serious thing right?
it's so not nice..
and what's up with the pretentiousness there... err.. (sorry about the spelling;;if it's wrong;; >.

Dec 02 07 05:24 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

bottom feeder.

Dec 02 07 05:27 am Link

Model

babyjenny

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Pink Beauty wrote:
#1... If you personally did not steal the images, authorize the use of stolen images or approve images after you saw them

and

your designers work for a company then their employers need to know what has happened and you need to prove your claim to those employers so their are repercussions in their careers beyond getting a slap on the hand from you/your company.

#2... because you say that the designers are responsible for the copyright infringments it is obvious that you did not take the pictures yourself

which means

#2... If this is your company and you are in charge and the designers are not submitting costs \ for the hiring of models, photographers, wardrobe, makeup, wardrobe etc. and your accountant is not writing checks and accounting the books to cover these costs then you DO know something isn't quite right with what is going on. 

An honest company would be immediately suspicious, suspend the designers pending an immediate investigation of that and other work by those people until it is cleared up.  Turns out the claim is false, no problem. Turns out the claim is true uh-oh, get it cleared up with the copywrite holders before rather than after they find out... etc.

And lastly, even if someone does not put a watermark on their image, whether it is a photograph or writing or whatever, the placement of it on the Internet is copyrighted automatically.  Look into the laws.  Legitimate online businesses are quite knowledgeable about this fact.

P.

AGREE!
i wish i was this smart : D

Dec 02 07 05:41 am Link

Model

tuere

Baltimore, Maryland, US

so question.  i see PLENTY of flyers with models on them.  like all the time, are you telling me that MOST of them are illegaly used??  because i know those guys are not taking the pics of those girls themselves!!

Dec 02 07 05:47 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

al graham wrote:

You mean lock the thread for "outing?"
The subject admitted to it, so it's a moot point now.

No, but at this point I think people already know that I have removed him, permanently, from MM.

Dec 02 07 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Moey?

Dec 02 07 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Mikell

San Francisco, California, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:
Moey?

lol

Dec 02 07 06:06 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:
Check to see if he's stolen yours -

http://brownstyle.net/images/layout%202 … Eparty.jpg

and - http://www.myspace.com/brownstyles

Mine is easy to find.  Look for the logo........ big_smile

bt

thanks again superman, you are truly wonderful

Dec 02 07 06:11 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Decadence D

Chicago, Illinois, US

tuere wrote:
so question.  i see PLENTY of flyers with models on them.  like all the time, are you telling me that MOST of them are illegaly used??  because i know those guys are not taking the pics of those girls themselves!!

Yep, most of them are.  That's why it's best to get stuff like that done with a reputable people who have accounts with stock photography/image providers.

Dec 02 07 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Decadence D wrote:

Yep, most of them are.  That's why it's best to get stuff like that done with a reputable people who have accounts with stock photography/image providers.

True that..

I was just hired to create a promo for an even tin LA..

I asked what the y wanted and they started rattling off the images they would like.
I asked if they had them and they said NO..

I said they would need to shoot them or use graphic art work I create for them.

People have no idea what it takes to do an ad properly and legal like. It's amazing..

Dec 02 07 06:16 am Link

Model

tuere

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Vance - True Image  wrote:
True that..

I was just hired to create a promo for an even tin LA..

I asked what the y wanted and they started rattling off the images they would like.
I asked if they had them and they said NO..

I said they would need to shoot them or use graphic art work I create for them.

People have no idea what it takes to do an ad properly and legal like. It's amazing..

it really is!!  i know this may sound dumb but even pics of celebs are illegal?  a lot of guys use like the flavor of love girls (if u call them celebs) on flyers.  that's not cool either?  i'm sorry to bother you guys, and more questions i have on this i will look up but this is really interesting to me.

Dec 02 07 06:20 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Decadence D

Chicago, Illinois, US

tuere wrote:
it really is!!  i know this may sound dumb but even pics of celebs are illegal?  a lot of guys use like the flavor of love girls (if u call them celebs) on flyers.  that's not cool either?  i'm sorry to bother you guys, and more questions i have on this i will look up but this is really interesting to me.

If they didn't take the pictures themselves, paid to have them taken, or paid for their usuage and are generating revenue from usuage of said images, it is illegal. People think because celebrity pictures are so public and common there's nothing wrong with using them. Nope, someone, be it the photographer (author of image), Associated Press, or whoever, but someone has a copyright to those images.

Dec 02 07 06:28 am Link

Model

tuere

Baltimore, Maryland, US

okay!!  thanks for the info!!

Dec 02 07 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Opes Photography

Baltimore, Maryland, US

It is a simple issue.  The photographer owns a copyright of all images he takes . 

That photographer can grant use of that image, or transfer the copyright - both are done in writing.  Without the photographers permission - legally nobody can use his image or any derivative of his image. 

Normally transfer of copyright is done for lots of $.

Chris

tuere wrote:

Dec 02 07 06:41 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

We @ Brownstyle.net should be made to pay compensation for the theft of images.
They have made money out of other peoples work.
Many thanks to Bruce Talbot for pointing this thief out.

Dec 02 07 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Opes Photography

Baltimore, Maryland, US

You are mostly right - except the generating revenue. 
I can't take another photogs work and post it on a billboard saying something like "Don't eat meat".  I don't generate revenue from it - but it is still illegal and a copyright infringement.

Decadence D wrote:

If they didn't take the pictures themselves, paid to have them taken, or paid for their usuage and are generating revenue from usuage of said images, it is illegal. People think because celebrity pictures are so public and common there's nothing wrong with using them. Nope, someone, be it the photographer (author of image), Associated Press, or whoever, but someone has a copyright to those images.

Dec 02 07 06:44 am Link

Photographer

Opes Photography

Baltimore, Maryland, US

For the record .... some photogs in Baltimore actually take their own pictures smile
Good or bad - I own all of mine smile

Dec 02 07 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Mikell

San Francisco, California, US

Decadence D wrote:

even if they are long dead in most cases someone owns the rights to their likeness

Dec 02 07 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Hughes Photography

Yuba City, California, US

I can't wait until I'm good enough for people to steal my images....... 'sniff' 'sniff'..... I'd be so proud........

Dec 02 07 07:21 am Link

Model

tuere

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Hughes Photography wrote:
I can't wait until I'm good enough for people to steal my images....... 'sniff' 'sniff'..... I'd be so proud........

lol!!

Dec 02 07 07:22 am Link