Forums > Photography Talk > why is the Hensel ringflash 1000$ and the AB 400$?

Photographer

Free at last

Fresno, California, US

Bill Sylvester wrote:

You would send it to the factory in Nashville and it'll probably cost around $50 to have it fixed.

Given their rep for service they **might** even do it for much less. This would be my first choice - unless you want to sell it to me cheap :-)

Dec 06 07 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Free at last

Fresno, California, US

Richard Harvey wrote:
With any major branded flash equipment, you need to run their
entire system - Broncolor, Profoto, Elinchrom, Hensel and Bowens.
The only system that doesn't follow that trend is Balcar who make
generators that have additional adaptor cables allowing you to run
other manufacturer's light/flash heads on them.

The AB's, Lumendyne etc type systems are great but they are not
built anywhere close to the quality and sturdyness of a pro system
costing $1000 upwards for just a flash head. They do not have any
form of consistent light and colour output, the power range and
stop adjustments are not as controllable, they will fire a lot of the
time at less than a full recharge. All of these things affect the
image and the quality of the shoot. Not something you want to have
happen when there's a client involved, a budget, and limited cost or
time to retouch and adjust lighting that was wrong. Then go to the
range of light adpaptors and accesories...

You pay for what you get, be it flash lighting, HMI, continuous flo
or tungsten, a digital slr, a medium format with a digital back. You
still need skills to create a beautiful image, and even more skill to
create a stunning image, but there is truth in the better the equipment,
the more you can do and the greater the control....

To make this point a little clearer, whatever camera system you use,
go take a shot with a $150 lens, then go to a pro level lens at $600+
and see the difference in quality. You will see it...

WOW! Just WOW! Color temp on my AB's is consistent **if** I wait for the little green light to come on (signifying a full charge). I've dropped mine on hard surfaces plenty of times with no ill effects other than the obligatory scratches - wish I could say the same for the scotch I was drinking at the time! Prescision capacitors?!? You really need to talk with an electronics tech. or at least do the math.

Dec 06 07 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS

FRESH MEADOWS, New York, US

Britek is like a yugo
Lumedyne is like a mustang gt
OK Alienbees are like a ford taurus!
Whitelighting is more a camry
Hensels are like a mecedes C class
Elinchrom between a C and E class
Speedotron black are like a f150 ford truck!  Still more durable than a hummer!
Broncolor is like a Rolls (little tempermental but   Oh the class!)
Profoto acute are like a acura/lexus
Profoto 7 series are like a mercedes S class

All Clear  smile

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com

Me..... I drive Porsche twin turbos so I can only fit a hot shoe flash but I get there quick!

thank god for sunroofs!

https://nyphotographics.com/Extras/IMG_1115mm.jpg

Dec 06 07 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Miller

Pasadena, California, US

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS wrote:
Britek is like a yugo

All Clear  smile

Stephen Eastwood

Me..... I drive Porsche twin turbos so I can only fit a hot shoe flash but I get there quick!

Stephen, you rock! (-;

Dec 06 07 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

j3_photo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

what about dyna-lite quality?   i've heard nothing but great things

Dec 10 07 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

P-Studios

Vallejo, California, US

If you have used alienbeez before then never speak on them, you have no idea how good they are and there customer service is better then any company I have ever worked with in my life time. I don’t like the ABR ring flash it’s not well put together, if I was to compare it to other alienbeez product that is. But it works flawlessly and I’m going to get one soon and after some mods of my own it will be fine. For the price you have a light that has more function then you can ever imagine. Stop asking people on mm about alienbeez drop buy the hive and look at the samples pictures you will see some of the best photographer use the gear and pictures will blow you away.  PharaohStudios

zus is a pack head system about 1000.00 the one your thinking about is the abr800 ring flash power pack is built in. 399.00

Dec 10 07 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

j3_photo wrote:
what about dyna-lite quality?   i've heard nothing but great things

I like how small and portable they are. I don't think their modifier mount is all that great.

They have a special on the 4040 right now till the end of the year - $490 from B&H w/ free 18" beauty dish.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 … 0_W_S.html

http://www.dynalite.com/info/?p=26

Pick up a Dynalite pack from ebay (or a Zeus from Paul Buff) and you're good to go.

Dec 10 07 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I used alien bees for about 2 years before upgrading to apeedotrons

zeus is a pack system, the ringmaster is 399$, the powerpack is like 599$, the ringmaster needs the powerpack to work. And yes I  have it. Not the ABR800

Pharaoh Studios wrote:
If you have used alienbeez before then never speak on them, you have no idea how good they are and there customer service is better then any company I have ever worked with in my life time. I don’t like the ABR ring flash it’s not well put together, if I was to compare it to other alienbeez product that is. But it works flawlessly and I’m going to get one soon and after some mods of my own it will be fine. For the price you have a light that has more function then you can ever imagine. Stop asking people on mm about alienbeez drop buy the hive and look at the samples pictures you will see some of the best photographer use the gear and pictures will blow you away.  PharaohStudios

zus is a pack head system about 1000.00 the one your thinking about is the abr800 ring flash power pack is built in. 399.00

Dec 11 07 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

you left out the speedotron force series...
I have the force 5's and a force 10

they are like a truck also, big and heavy

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS wrote:
Britek is like a yugo

All Clear  smile

Stephen Eastwood

thank god for sunroofs!

https://nyphotographics.com/Extras/IMG_1115mm.jpg

Dec 11 07 01:51 am Link

Photographer

Jamie-JAYCE-Charles

Hollywood, Florida, US

Mal at Hidden Creek wrote:

If Alien Bees = Honda then Profotto = BMW could be a true statement,

but

If Alien Bees = Honda then Hensel = Volkswagen is a more accurate statement

big_smile

are you sure about that statement there ??

Dec 11 07 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Jamie-JAYCE-Charles

Hollywood, Florida, US

jaycephotos wrote:

big_smile

are you sure about that statement there ??

oh btw didn't mean to thread jack sorry

Dec 11 07 01:56 am Link

Photographer

Jamie-JAYCE-Charles

Hollywood, Florida, US

Get what you can afford at this time unless you can save up and wait.

Dec 11 07 01:56 am Link

Photographer

Marco Vallentin

København, Hovedstaden, Denmark

Richard Harvey wrote:
With any major branded flash equipment, you need to run their
entire system - Broncolor, Profoto, Elinchrom, Hensel and Bowens.

Generally, yes. But you can use the Hensel RF modifyers on an Elin RF,
run a Hensel RF on an Elin mircro 3000 AS gen.
and I also use Profoto and Wafter softboxes on my Elin heads,
so...

Aug 16 09 05:37 am Link

Photographer

D O P E M O V E S

New York, New York, US

http://www.davehillphoto.com/bts/

Dave hill is a fan of Paul C. Bluff. Check out some of his behind the scene videos. He has a technique of counting down while shooting to make sure his flashes have a full recharge. But yeah, my ABs have no sort of consistent color in the manner in which I use them. At least sometimes there are happy accidents. And I take so many shots that I always get the usable shot.

Aug 16 09 05:49 am Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Hope Parr wrote:
the cord does not unplug from the light unit, it would have to be sent in somewhere to be replaced, and If I have to send it in, then I would prefer to get a new ringflash, one thats built a little better.

I still, have some old Buff 10,000 lights ,..had to send one in for a repair, and it was done inexpensivly and quickly. just send it to Paul Buff..this is one of their selling points, they are quick and not extremely costly...SEND IT IN!!

Aug 16 09 06:00 am Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'm not gonna try to keep up with the pointless car analogies, but owning both Hensel and Profoto systems I can say they kick ass over ABs. All the ABs I've used are inferior both in build and consistency. So no the exchange rate has nothing to do with why Hensel ring flash is more expensive wink

Aug 16 09 06:04 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

Andrew Thomas Designs wrote:

Not sure what you're talking about there... but AB's work pretty well if you take your time and don't fire off more than one shot a second. They aren't "pro" lights, and don't cost as much, but they aren't nearly as bad as you make it sound.

PS, I have a mix of AB, profoto, and Hensel lighted shots on my port, I bet you can't tell which is which!

Of course we wouldn't be able to tell . . . you've already done post-processing on your images!

Aug 16 09 06:09 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS wrote:
Britek is like a yugo
All Clear  smile

I'm looking for a brand that would be the Citroen DS of studio strobes. Any suggestions?

Aug 16 09 06:11 am Link

Photographer

212-GO-LUCKY

New York, New York, US

5th Floor Photography wrote:
I was referring to cost and looks rather then functionality.

I haven't used them but alien bees seem to be the reliable inexpensive alternative with great service (Honda).

While Hensel ans Elinchrom are the fancier German (I think) higher brow lines (BMW). 

Not the Maybach like broncolor.

If Profoto is the BMW then I guess hensel would be the Volkswagen/Audi.

I didn't mean to start a which car matches up with which light fight:)

Frank

Generally the Elincas are miles ahead of the Hensels in build quality and output, but wrt to the ringflash, both are good.

You want a Citroen? No idea what to recommend you, except a Citroen .... but there is little difference in build quality between a Photogenic and Elinca and Balcar - they are all good.

Having seen the Photogenics in use recently I feel they will go up in the snobbery scale, only because they make great build quality strobes and hot lights without the weight of the Speedos.

Aug 16 09 07:11 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Post hidden on Aug 16, 2009 09:07 am
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
No BS

Aug 16 09 07:17 am Link

Photographer

212-GO-LUCKY

New York, New York, US

Post hidden on Aug 16, 2009 09:08 am
Comments:
No more BS

Aug 16 09 07:21 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Post hidden on Aug 16, 2009 09:08 am
Comments:
No more BS

Aug 16 09 07:25 am Link

Photographer

TXPHOTO

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Well I just bought some AB800 lights from Buff, but not without a lot of looking and talking to pros. I am not talking about any ringlights as I have no experience with them. What I found was that while the B800s may not be quite the pro level quality of some, the reality of the situation is that the output differences are very minimal, and where they do exist, they are easity corrected in post if even necessary. Despite what some have said, the exchange rate and overseas shipping does contribute to the higher cost of most other lighting systems. Common sense tells you that.

The AB800s brings to the table a build quality that is good for on location shoots, durable and well made, customers service that is BETTER THAN ANYONE.  They perform well and are reliable. Plus they just look cool!

Aug 16 09 07:44 am Link

Photographer

ARTFORMS

Greenville, South Carolina, US

Andrew Thomas Designs wrote:

Not sure what you're talking about there... but AB's work pretty well if you take your time and don't fire off more than one shot a second. They aren't "pro" lights, and don't cost as much, but they aren't nearly as bad as you make it sound.

PS, I have a mix of AB, profoto, and Hensel lighted shots on my port, I bet you can't tell which is which!

I know a photographer who sold all of his Alien Bee's and White Lightnings to get strobes costing twice as much. The quality of his photography has not improved.

I know of several pro shooters that still create fantastic images with the Alien Bee's.

Aug 16 09 07:55 am Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

ARTFORMS wrote:

I know a photographer who sold all of his Alien Bee's and White Lightnings to get strobes costing twice as much. The quality of his photography has not improved.

I know of several pro shooters that still create fantastic images with the Alien Bee's.

this speaks to the skill of a photographer, not to the quality of equipment. there is quite objectively a big difference in various brands.

Aug 16 09 08:02 am Link

Photographer

FOTOgraphicART - Heinz

Hopkins, Minnesota, US

ChanStudio wrote:

I agree.  Just because Honda is cheaper doesn't means it is any less reliable or better than those that are more expensive.

There was an article that BMW gets about 35% profit for every vehicle that they sell.  That is an amazing markup.

Anyway, here is the link for true Honda's power, Formula 1 Racing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Racing_F1

Sorry about hijacking the thread. But anyway, AB and Hensel are two different animals.  I would go with Hensel if I money isn't an issue.

Honda miserably failed in F1 and isn't participating any more.

Aug 16 09 08:04 am Link

Photographer

ASYLUM - Art Nudes

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Threads like this amuse me.

People who use the equipment are generally happy. People who don't basically find opinions on the internet to rehash.

I've used a variety of AB's among other brands and have been perfectly happy with the OMG CRAZY COLOR SHIFTS of Alien Bees.

YMMV

----
-ASYLUM-

Aug 16 09 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Post hidden on Aug 16, 2009 09:09 am
Comments:
No more BS

Aug 16 09 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Varsity Mobile Atelier

Seattle, Washington, US

I own the ABR800 ringflash, and while I am generally satisfied with it, I was disappointed at the amount of plastic it contains.  I don't mind the plastic housing, but the camera mounting, main reflector and ALL of the accessories are made of cheap, lightweight plastic.  It feels like a toy in my hands... just like something I would expect to find at Wal-mart.  I realize that it was made to be sold at a low price, but still... for $400 I would like to own something just a little more substantial.

Aug 16 09 08:16 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1abr060fs.jpg

Just a few minor corrections, the ABR800 ring light from Alien Bees has the same output as their AB800 mono light, not the AB400 as previously reported in this string. Second, the Zeus Ringmaster Ring Flash head (with a maximum output of 2,500ws and has two internal fans!) costs $299, not $399 as has been reported in several posts. The ABR800 ring light with it's own internal power supply (it's a mono light!) does have a base cost of $399.

Fish
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 633
Miami Beach, Florida  33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Aug 16 09 09:25 am Link

Photographer

TXPHOTO

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Just curious, but is the "plastic" on the ringflash really lexan?  Buff uses lexan on his B800s and not plastic. Lexan is extremely durable and lightweight, whereas plastic is cheap and brittle. Anyone know?

Aug 16 09 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

A new Rolls Royce is $403,000.oo

A new Bentley is $335.000.oo

They're basically the same car and do the same things . . . why is there a difference in price?

You're paying for the name and the presumed status difference . . . thats all

I've used Pro-Photo's ringlight and also the AB . . . . I actually preferred the AB's

Easier to use, much lighter weight, consistent output . . .

KM

Aug 16 09 09:36 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1tami6376fcrops.jpg
Tami Donaldson photographed using the Zeus Ringmaster ring light with the 52" Moon Unit

DBVE Imaging wrote:
Just curious, but is the "plastic" on the ringflash really lexan?  Buff uses lexan on his B800s and not plastic. Lexan is extremely durable and lightweight, whereas plastic is cheap and brittle.

Anyone know?

The ABR800 ring flash and the Zeus Ringmaster are made of Lexan (ref: http://www.alienbees.com/abrfeatures.html). The weak point of both is the locking mechanism for the head and the camera dolly which will break when over tightened. It takes a little getting used to (they do lock effectively), but even I have broken one. Paul Buff will replace the mechanism immediately at no cost, but it is the one thing I would like to see them improve.

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1maya0599fBWs.jpg
Maya Brekina photographed using the Zeus Ringmaster ring light with the basic reflector

Fish
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 633
Miami Beach, Florida  33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Aug 16 09 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Cre8tivNickname

Winchester, Virginia, US

Hope Parr wrote:
the cord does not unplug from the light unit, it would have to be sent in somewhere to be replaced, and If I have to send it in, then I would prefer to get a new ringflash, one thats built a little better.

PCB is extremely reasonable on their repair services and has a good turn-around time.   Give them a call.

Aug 16 09 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

FashionPhotographer

New York, New York, US

A basic reason is that Paul C Buff doesn't sell his products through vendors.. factory direct pricing, and then Hensel does sell through vendors. However, another point would be that they are in different classes altogether... Alien Bee is a sub line of White-lightning and Hensel is its own major brand. Hensel also is considered a higher class in general.

- Phen

Aug 16 09 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

RONALD N TAN wrote:
Why is there is there a high price differential between a Ford vehicle versus the luxury BMW, Mercedes, or Jaguars?

um because we are paying for the healthcare and social benefits the european auto worker gets, thats the american car worked doesn't...

bad example

the price difference of the ring flash reveals itself in consistency with light production and color temperature frame to frame..

i use the AB equipment, but im not shooting cosmetics or paint color chips where it really makes a difference

Aug 16 09 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

FashionPhotographer

New York, New York, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

um because we are paying for the healthcare and social benefits the european auto worker gets, thats the american car worked doesn't...

bad example

agreed and let's not talk about lastability... because Jaguars... would be at the end of the list, black dot all the way .

Aug 16 09 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Hope Parr wrote:
same thing with the zeus ringflash, it requires a powerpack

Except the Zeus is only $299. The $399 the op was quoting is for the Stand alone AB Ring light...monolight with power.

Varsity Images wrote:
I own the ABR800 ringflash, and while I am generally satisfied with it, I was disappointed at the amount of plastic it contains.  I don't mind the plastic housing, but the camera mounting, main reflector and ALL of the accessories are made of cheap, lightweight plastic.  It feels like a toy in my hands... just like something I would expect to find at Wal-mart.  I realize that it was made to be sold at a low price, but still... for $400 I would like to own something just a little more substantial.

Considering the next step up is a grand or so For the $399 the AB costs it is the only game in town. Even the ridiculous Ray flash et all require your $300-$500 flash to work and then the light is pitifully low.

Here is one of my favorite shots with the AB800..18+ of course
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … up_id=&ua=

Aug 16 09 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

FashionPhotographer

New York, New York, US

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS wrote:

flashclinic can adapt most any ringflash from any major brand (alientbee excluded I am sure)  to fit a speedotron blackline pack, I have had profoto, and elinchrom both converted years ago, now I use broncolor 2400ws on verso packs (love the power and ML) or hensel porty ringflash (I like the octahaze and handle is great!)

Stephen Eastwood

Can I just say.... the handle on the hensel porty ringflash is amazing smile

- Phen

Aug 16 09 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

can we get back to discussing color shifts on capacitors? big_smile

Ive never owned anything more expensive than a mid-range audi so all this talk about high-end equipment is leaving me feeling woefully inadequate sad

Aug 16 09 12:49 pm Link