Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

lll wrote:
Yes, the Innovatronix is suitable for all non-digitally controlled monolights and packs.

I bought the Innovatronix. Works great. It's been to Punta Cana twice for shoots and back. Works like a charm, and has a double outlet for two lights. smile

Dec 06 07 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Bryan Regan Photography

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I have the old school Vagabond and it has served me well for years. The grounding rod fell out the 2nd week I had it and the zipper top is jammed open. I just got a Tronix Explorer 1200 from my wife for X-mas yesterday, still in the box, can't wait to try it out. The reason I got it was to work with my Profoto/Speedotron packs. The Vagabond was not working with them, and I was forced to use my AB lights on remote locations.

Dec 06 07 07:40 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

I have the Vagabond II and it works great with my Hensel Integra (500, 1000) strobes (the black square strobes).  Few days ago, I called up Paul C. Buff, Inc. and asked them about their new Inverter (one that has the GFCI circuit built in).  They are willing to swap with my older inverter for free and no charge (not even shipping charge).  I don't know many companies out there willing to do that.

Dec 06 07 07:41 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Bryan Regan Photography wrote:
The reason I got it was to work with my Profoto/Speedotron packs.

I didn't realize the 1200 would power the Speedotron packs. I use the 2403x on occasion. I'll have to try that out.

Dec 06 07 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Brian Morris Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

This thing is Sweet! Quik charge time and ran all day no problem. I Will bee hooking up four lights in a couple of days to see what its got!

Dec 06 07 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Meade

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I owned the original, and have borrowed my buddies new one (mine came in the mail today!)

The Vag2 is far superior to the original.  for example...

I was on location, and was using 2 ab1600's, not at full power, but pretty close, and I got well over 500 shots with it, I even ran the battery down in my camera and had to charge it off the Vag.   

It is one of the most cost efficient pieces of equipment out there...  there is no reason for anyone in the business to NOT own one!  Hairstylist can run their dryers,irons, etc.  MUA's can run an airbrush...  for $250 bucks... why not!

by the way, if you own the original, they will give you a discount based upon how recently you bought it.

to me this is one very good reason to NOT buy Profoto!  why pay 2gs for a battery pack that cant do the same job?

Dec 07 07 12:51 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Rich Meade wrote:
It is one of the most cost efficient pieces of equipment out there...  there is no reason for anyone in the business to NOT own one!  Hairstylist can run their dryers,irons, etc.  MUA's can run an airbrush...  for $250 bucks... why not!

We use dryers to test UPS's at work. They're great at running batteries dead. I don't recommend running high constant draw devices on a 20AH battery (not unless you're willing to bring a lot of batteries). That's what generators are for.

Dec 07 07 12:56 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

Rich Meade wrote:
to me this is one very good reason to NOT buy Profoto!  why pay 2gs for a battery pack that cant do the same job?

Because some people prefer working with Profoto.

Dec 07 07 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Jarrad Kevin

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bryan Regan Photography wrote:
The reason I got it was to work with my Profoto/Speedotron packs.

I'd be very interested in hearing how well it works with your ProFotos and Speedos.

Dec 07 07 01:24 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

ward wrote:
I didn't realize the 1200 would power the Speedotron packs. I use the 2403x on occasion. I'll have to try that out.

Yes, it would.  The Tronix uses a soft current limiting circuit that softly "clips" at a good level.  It would just limit the current without dropping the voltage too low to cause major problem, it would work fine with the Speedos.  Speedos are really famous for tripping fuses...  smile

Dec 07 07 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Max Bloom

The AB/WL people could care less about whether the Vagabond works with other companies' lights. All they care is that it works with theirs. That's their MO...just like how you have to buy modifiers from them. The Explorer, OTOH, is designed to work with a wide range of lights. They even have a compatibility list on their website. I'm not sure what it is exactly that makes some lights work and other not, but I've heard a number of accounts of Vagabonds doing screwy things with other manufacturers' lights while I've heard nothing of the sort about the Explorer.

Dec 07 07 02:52 am Link

Photographer

oscar rabeiro

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

i finally bought one. absolutely love it! using it with a speedotron 802b 800w/s pack and two lights.

ordered it on a tuesday afternoon....i had it sitting on my desk friday! yup...friday! go order your today!

Jan 29 08 02:30 am Link