Forums > General Industry > what's your way to recruit model for a photoshoot?

Photographer

NH

Newport Beach, California, US

Ok, the other thread talks about approaching potential models on the street.  But is there any other way?  Other than finding models on internet.  I can think of posting an AD in the newspaper or local college campus bulletin board.  What's your way?

May 31 05 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Posted by NH: 
Ok, the other thread talks about approaching potential models on the street.  But is there any other way?  Other than finding models on internet.  I can think of posting an AD in the newspaper or local college campus bulletin board.  What's your way?

If I need a certain "look" or type of model, I run an AD in the local newspapers.  I write the AD in such a way that it is conducted as a "model search" which it is indeed the truth. I also let people know that it cost a small fee of $25 to $50 for testing. This is not something that I do very often, but it has worked for me.

Do this ONLY when you have a legit "job" to cast. Most people are used to paying a small fee for "testing" and they are happy with the way I conduct business. This also can place me with models for potential future work too!

You must be careful the way you write your AD! There are laws regarding talent agencies here in California that can effect the way your AD is viewed.  I don't purposely write something that can get me into hot water!

May 31 05 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

I find them in nightclubs.  Since I'm a promoter and photographer for key area nightclubs on the westcoast, LA OC SF SD and VEGAS.

May 31 05 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Studio 11424

Durham, North Carolina, US

I am pretty much the same way, one of my friends has a club so I find most models there but I do use sites like Model Mayhem and One Model Place. I have worked with some really cool models at theses sites. I have also used a few modeling agencys in the past as well.

May 31 05 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
I find them in nightclubs.  Since I'm a promoter and photographer for key area nightclubs on the westcoast, LA OC SF SD and VEGAS.

ughh, you look for models?... i thought they found you?

May 31 05 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I've used online resources - OMP, MuseCube, ModelMayhem, and networking through photography groups. But I don't shoot that often, and if a shoot doesn't come together, I'm not terribly wounded.  Another opportunity will arise.

https://justinonimus.com/lonely-road-sunrise.jpg

May 31 05 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

you guys!!...lol

May 31 05 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

I place a call to an agency and tell them what I'm looking for. Or, I go to the agency and look on the wall.

May 31 05 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Hmmm.... Ooops...time for him to change his story to fit....(again)..

JP

May 31 05 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

I have had more local photographers send me models via referal - thus the model says - who do you reccomend to shoot with locally and they tend to have m on the list of ok to shoot with...

I rarely go actuvely looking for models anymore - they tend to find me... via online portfolio etc - and since I can only shoot on weekends - the schedule is full

May 31 05 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Well,.... you have to make it worth their while.. What are you offering the potential models to take a break out of their busy days to come out to model for you? Pictures alone for beginner photographers are not enough..(not suggesting what level you are at...I'm just making a general point)..

You can try placing an ad in a local paper... or stapeling flyers around a local college campus,..or direct approach..

When I do direct approach,... I am sure I have a business card in my wallet before I make my "run".. and I have my full name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and website gallery all there for them to see along with 6 sample shots on the back, and a picture of my face on the front..   

I just ask them if they were a model.. or listed with any agencies... if so,.. great, which one(s), ....I'd sure like to work with you...here is my card..with a link to my site at the bottom of it...and all my info right there,...check it out, and let me know when we can set something up.. ..(smile)   good day!  ( walk away)....(and don't be seen by her again if you can help it)....If they aren't with an agency,.... would you be interested in modeling if you had the chance to become a model?  (if no,...hand them your card regardless).....(if yes...hand them your card).....Please take a look at my work.. you can see a LOT more images that I am known for at the site link at the bottom of the card.. and be sure to flip it over to see my mini portfolio on the back..   

Oh,...and don't show any nude images,...or images where the model is doing "tacky" stuff... for an example of that,...refer to Joey's pics..

JP

May 31 05 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

NH

Newport Beach, California, US

Thx guys, I am a beginner compare to you guys, so having a hard time finding models should be normal for me.  lol

Jun 01 05 12:07 am Link