Forums > Critique > GWC to a Photographer?

Photographer

JBL Photography

Kalispell, Montana, US

Now, I don't think of myself as a GWC but I also don't take shots like some others photographers.  Take a look at my shots and let me know what you think.  I would love to be able to produce shots at a higher level then I am now. Any suggestions would help out...

Thanks,

Jason

Dec 11 07 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Pixel Fist

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I like what you're doing.  I see a lot of shots of the same model, but they all look different.  I think you've got more background than you're saying.

Dec 11 07 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

AngelLPhotog

Los Angeles, California, US

Lay off the strong gradients. It takes the attention away from your subject.

Dec 12 07 01:01 am Link

Model

Amie is a Bad Ass

Columbiaville, Michigan, US

AngelLPhotog wrote:
Lay off the strong gradients. It takes the attention away from your subject.

I agree, some photshop effects are great, but some not so much, let you subject and lighting do the talkin'

Dec 12 07 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Nunez

Los Angeles, California, US

Don't open photoshop for another year.  Learn how to use light, buy a reflector, strobe... .

www.strobist.com

start there.

Dec 12 07 01:15 am Link

Photographer

EAD Productions

New York, New York, US

work on connecting with your "models" instead of photographing them as subjects. Capture a "moment" instead of photographing a subject. I hope this makes sense.

Dec 12 07 01:20 am Link

Photographer

Jake Garn

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Carlos Nunez wrote:
Don't open photoshop for another year.  Learn how to use light, buy a reflector, strobe... .

www.strobist.com

start there.

Photoshop is still fairly necessary to correct color casts and exposure deficiencies!  But seriously, take Carlos' advice and don't use ANY filters or gradient effects for a year.  ;-)  None, zero, zip, nada.  Also avoid making any "surreal" changes with levels and curves.

Dec 12 07 04:48 am Link

Photographer

JBL Photography

Kalispell, Montana, US

Thanks for the feed back, it helps.  I don't have any lighting yet but they are on the list of what I am going to get soon.  It is also harder to get models in a smaller town, well at least my small town.  What would you say is my best and worst shots and why?

Dec 12 07 09:45 am Link

Photographer

SunArcher Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

TuRock Photgraphy wrote:
I don't have any lighting yet but they are on the list of what I am going to get soon.

Use natural lighting to your advantage. Know how to use it to light your subjects when outside and how to manipulate it inside (windows, blinds, curtains, etc). Know how the time of day can affect the quality and quantity of light available from the sun. You can shoot at night with streetlights, and I even saw some decent work once on MM from a guy who used headlights from his truck.

TuRock Photgraphy wrote:
It is also harder to get models in a smaller town, well at least my small town.

All about who you know. Nothing says they have to be bona fide "models" to get 'em in front of your camera and practice with lighting. When all else fails, grab a big ol' teddy bear from Toys 'R Us and practice with that.

Dec 12 07 09:50 am Link

Photographer

PhotoSeven

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I agree with the other posts. 

You can pick up a piece of foam core at the art store for a few bucks.  Foil...a mirror anything that will reflect light.  Get creative, it doesn't have to be expensive to be good.  A lot of time people get caught up it the must have gadgets and forget about the fact that they are all just tools and just because you have all of the latest/greatest doesn't mean you can made a good picture.
Sorry about the rant. 

Long story short, master what you currently own then branch out.

Dec 12 07 11:57 am Link

Photographer

The PeoplesPhotographer

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Good advice here from the other photogs so far.

I am not great by any means but I am definitely better than what I used to be. I think what truely makes each photog unique is their use of light and the angles of which the choose to shoot at.

I say just test, teST, TEST!

wink

Dec 12 07 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

JBL Photography

Kalispell, Montana, US

You know guys, I forgot to mention... I picked up a camera for the first time 7 months ago. No schooling. No experience.

Thanks for the tips. We'll see what the shoots look like in a year, ehh?

J

Dec 12 07 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

SunArcher Photography

TuRock Photgraphy wrote:
You know guys, I forgot to mention... I picked up a camera for the first time 7 months ago. No schooling. No experience.

You're about on par with me as far as experience goes (at least with my DSLR). Listen to those who know, ask questions, and shoot! shoot! shoot!

Dec 12 07 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

INC1NR8

San Diego, California, US

my little piece of advice.

don't ever use the photoshop lens flare filter... ever .. for anything... 

evar.

Dec 12 07 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

I made my reflector with some cardboard and tin foil lol but it works great, I even attached it to my tripod! I've been using that for a year or so and am only barely even ready to start using a flash which I just got..I guess like everyone else says learn to use light & then move up to a flash and strobes? (Scary!)

Dec 12 07 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

good photos ,  theres a gwc in every photographer. whither they admit it or not.

Dec 12 07 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

donatosebastian

I enjoyed your port more than most of the ones giving you advice.  The more you shoot the better you'll get, if not, you're not trying new ideas and using your imagination.  Also, there is a difference between photography as a craft and photography as an art.  The technical aspect you'll get it with experience.  But creatively, I found a few of your shots moving.

Dec 12 07 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

JM-Photographics

Tacoma, Washington, US

No doubt an eye for composition.

Dec 12 07 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Pixel Fist

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

There's good stuff there.  There are a couple of cases of over-zealous gradients, but if you take that away, the good stuff is still good. I wouldn't go so far as to suggest that it would be a good thing to abandon gradients.  Maybe that's your style.  Maybe you'll develop new appeal for gradients.

Dec 13 07 12:52 am Link

Photographer

JBL Photography

Kalispell, Montana, US

I really like the feed back,  I don't think I used the right term with GWC or pro. I just want to get better.

Dec 13 07 04:24 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

I don't think you're a GWC at all.

I think you're a photographer that enjoys playing around with lights and angles and is trying to see what works best.

I think you should consider working with models that know how to pose better and that may give you some inspiration on your angle issues.

Dec 13 07 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Carlos Nunez wrote:

www.strobist.com

start there.

bad advice.

Dec 13 07 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

JustOwen

Arlington, Washington, US

Carlos Nunez wrote:
www.strobist.com

start there.

Great resource, thanks for the reference!

Dec 13 07 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

DanielK Photography

Denver, Colorado, US

missing fingers product wrote:
good photos ,  theres a gwc in every photographer. whither they admit it or not.

Hey, it was only that one time in prison.

Oh, and when I was in college, but I really needed the money.

Daniel

Dec 13 07 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

JBL Photography

Kalispell, Montana, US

DanielK Photography wrote:

Hey, it was only that one time in prison.

thats not right....

Dec 13 07 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

JBL Photography

Kalispell, Montana, US

ANYONE ELSE?

Dec 17 07 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

An what's wrong with a GWC, Jack?

U're avatar looks like she's wearing bunny ears. that's a killer effect - how did U do that?

Dec 17 07 09:57 pm Link