Photographer

ArmageddonTThunderbird

Norwalk, Ohio, US

Back and running to collate images for my vote but just came across this quote that may or may not be germane:

I have often thought that if photography were difficult in the true sense of the term -- meaning that the creation of a simple photograph would entail as much time and effort as the production of a good watercolor or etching -- there would be a vast improvement in total output. The sheer ease with which we can produce a superficial image often leads to creative disaster.
  --Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984)

Aug 10 08 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Joye Chanson wrote:
I'd like to be added the list.
It's good for me right? big_smile
right.
good night.

consider it done. but it'll be a little . got called to a break in at my wife's store.

Aug 10 08 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

here's the link to the up to date list.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … ge=87#last

How come when i say let's see some discussion -- nothing

When Carly says it...

Nevermind I think I know!! lol.
glad to see it for whatever reason.

Aug 11 08 12:23 am Link

Photographer

jcmfinearts

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I have really missed playing but I have been shooting a lot lately I have one more tomorrow night before taking a break... I got some different things that I haven't done in the past that I will be posting and will wanna see how it is recieved and how I did... lol
Going back through the thread there have been some freaking awesome images... Keep up the great work boys and girls and I hope to get back in the game for Tuesday night... smile
John

Aug 11 08 01:09 am Link

Model

Joye Chanson

Orlando, Florida, US

jandj studios wrote:

consider it done. but it'll be a little . got called to a break in at my wife's store.

Thanks. 

The 18+'s wanna take over, so I'm getting them a new home...
...my username may change for these submissions in...
"a couple hours to a couple of days"  ;D
When the deal closes...I'll send in the new name for the list.

Aug 11 08 01:56 am Link

Model

Joye Chanson

Orlando, Florida, US

jandj studios wrote:

Thanks.  no rush, I'm renovating.
...but talk about my submissions if you like...

The 18+'s wanna take over, so I'm getting them a new home...
...my username may change for these submissions in...
"a couple hours to a couple of days"  ;D
When the deal closes...I'll send in the new name for the list.  smile

Aug 11 08 01:58 am Link

Model

Joye Chanson

Orlando, Florida, US

oops...sometimes life moves pretty fast...
...sometimes you try to edit, and end up with a double post.... tongue
sorry about it.

Aug 11 08 02:03 am Link

Photographer

Topless New York

Brooklyn, New York, US

Pretty interesting set of entries today... it's only 10:30am and already there are three entries with Beth Caldwell in them.  I feel like I missed a memo or something.  big_smile

Aug 11 08 10:33 am Link

Model

Beth Caldwell

Dover, Delaware, US

Topless New York wrote:
Pretty interesting set of entries today... it's only 10:30am and already there are three entries with Beth Caldwell in them.  I feel like I missed a memo or something.  big_smile

I'm all over the place man. I'm like a freaking indian tongue

Aug 11 08 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Topless New York

Brooklyn, New York, US

Beth Caldwell wrote:

I'm all over the place man. I'm like a freaking indian tongue

When are you coming to New York, then?  smile

Aug 11 08 11:33 am Link

Photographer

ArmageddonTThunderbird

Norwalk, Ohio, US

Seems that I've only had time to dash in and (sometimes) vote lately but I have a few slightly off topic questions that I thought folks here might be able to answer. Off topic #1:

Does anyone have a brilliant method of storing/cataloging DVD's of their work? I'm being over-run by optical discs and digging through them looking for a certain shoot is becoming a real PITA.

What do y'all do in this regard?

Aug 11 08 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Tommy Dee wrote:
Seems that I've only had time to dash in and (sometimes) vote lately but I have a few slightly off topic questions that I thought folks here might be able to answer. Off topic #1:

Does anyone have a brilliant method of storing/cataloging DVD's of their work? I'm being over-run by optical discs and digging through them looking for a certain shoot is becoming a real PITA.

well i just use on old fashion file cabinet with folders for the month/ year and within that the model or job. pop in the DVD and in my case the contact sheets and negatives - store in a cool dark closet. It's the cool part I have trouble with here in Vegas. Been doing it this way for close to 20 years. Last week I got a call from a company who buys stocks photos from me. needed school bus and kids . my notes told me i shot one in 93 - the kids clothes didn't look dated so i sent it to them. 10 minutes to find the disc I had put it on ( actually my daughter who was ten at the time put the files that my processor gave me).

be interested as well to here how the digital age handles it.

Aug 11 08 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

MC Photo

New York, New York, US

Tommy Dee wrote:

I use pairs of hard drives and keep things alphabetical. So pair 1 is A-Z. When they get full. The become A-M and N-Z, or whatever letter splits the data evenly.

If you want a really focused answer, I've used drawers of a library card catalog and shelves, but I wouldn't never store data long term on CDs or DVDs as non-stampered ones will definitely degrade and eventually the data will be lost. IT takes years, but I've finally had things for long enough to experience it and believe.

In the short term, I can't remember the brand, but there's an dedicated CD storage system that looks a little like a NASCAR tool chest. I've seen lots for sale as people move their music to hard drives.

One other little thing - Office Depot sells "fireproof" safes for $49 that ar the size of an igloo cooler and will give the contents an extra hour of survivability in an average fire. Great for hard drive storage, and even better if you can store your pairs in separate locations (which makes backing up kind of hard).

I've got audio software, that's still the best at what it does, that requires a floppy for authorization on a mac. They haven't made Macs with floppy drives in 5+ years. So even hard drives are flawed as memory will change and you'll need an old computer with FW 400 or SCSI for your old drives. At least with hard drives, you can set them to copy overnight to your new 500TB whatever drive that eventually makes FW history.

Aug 11 08 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

MC Photo

New York, New York, US

jandj studios wrote:

well i just use on old fashion file cabinet with folders for the month/ year and within that the model or job. pop in the DVD and in my case the contact sheets and negatives - store in a cool dark closet. It's the cool part I have trouble with here in Vegas. Been doing it this way for close to 20 years. Last week I got a call from a company who buys stocks photos from me. needed school bus and kids . my notes told me i shot one in 93 - the kids clothes didn't look dated so i sent it to them. 10 minutes to find the disc I had put it on ( actually my daughter who was ten at the time put the files that my processor gave me).

Keywords are even more of a reason to be hard drive based.

Aug 11 08 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

ArmageddonTThunderbird

Norwalk, Ohio, US

jandj studios wrote:

Thanks DJ, that's pretty much how I'm handling it - bought some plastic things that hold 40 discs on edge and put cardboard between the categories (by model for me, then chronological) and keep them in a safe. The "dry" part is most difficult here.

Aug 11 08 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

ArmageddonTThunderbird

Norwalk, Ohio, US

Mike Caffrey wrote:

I use pairs of hard drives and keep things alphabetical. So pair 1 is A-Z. When they get full. The become A-M and N-Z, or whatever letter splits the data evenly.

If you want a really focused answer, I've used drawers of a library card catalog and shelves, but I wouldn't never store data long term on CDs or DVDs as non-stampered ones will definitely degrade and eventually the data will be lost. IT takes years, but I've finally had things for long enough to experience it and believe.

In the short term, I can't remember the brand, but there's an dedicated CD storage system that looks a little like a NASCAR tool chest. I've seen lots for sale as people move their music to hard drives.

One other little thing - Office Depot sells "fireproof" safes for $49 that ar the size of an igloo cooler and will give the contents an extra hour of survivability in an average fire. Great for hard drive storage, and even better if you can store your pairs in separate locations (which makes backing up kind of hard).

I've got audio software, that's still the best at what it does, that requires a floppy for authorization on a mac. They haven't made Macs with floppy drives in 5+ years. So even hard drives are flawed as memory will change and you'll need an old computer with FW 400 or SCSI for your old drives. At least with hard drives, you can set them to copy overnight to your new 500TB whatever drive that eventually makes FW history.

Thanks for your input. I don't have issues with storage or retrieval on my workstation, local backup server or either of my off-site backup servers, it is the static optical media I was concerned about.

I only keep the fruits of my edits on live media. But every now and then I go back to the static stuff to review things I might have missed in the first edits.

Aug 11 08 08:08 pm Link

Model

Joye Chanson

Orlando, Florida, US

So, duly noted here I am..
Thank you for all who voted today,
and Saturday also wink
It's a delight to see so much talent.

I hope to continue entering in the future
and also voting.  More people should vote...
any reason why they don't?
I'm new to the contest...so humor me wink

Aug 11 08 08:59 pm Link

Model

CeeCee71

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

So does anyone discuss the daily images anymore?

Aug 11 08 11:56 pm Link

Model

Hana Song

Orlando, Florida, US

May I please be listed, now that my profile has been
inspected and stamped with a seal of approval.
When you have the opportunity. wink
Thank you!

Aug 12 08 02:12 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Sexy CeeCee wrote:

Not often enough  sad

Aug 12 08 08:09 am Link

Photographer

StudioCMC

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Sexy CeeCee wrote:

I wish there would be more discussions too, I enjoy the feed back, as I struggle to decide the new path for my logo. My guess is that my color shots don't get wins due to the logo being too big. But I am not sure if that's really the case.

I wish there would be more discussion here.. 

Chris

Aug 12 08 08:14 am Link

Photographer

ArmageddonTThunderbird

Norwalk, Ohio, US

Sexy CeeCee wrote:

I keep trying to but the system is set up to discourage that so I can only when I have copious amounts of spare time - which is rarely. That used to be a large part of the value of this contest for me, the exchange of opinions. Oh well. lol

Aug 12 08 09:59 am Link

Photographer

ArmageddonTThunderbird

Norwalk, Ohio, US

StudioCMC wrote:

I wish there would be more discussions too, I enjoy the feed back, as I struggle to decide the new path for my logo. My guess is that my color shots don't get wins due to the logo being too big. But I am not sure if that's really the case.

Chris

While I'm not a fan of large copyright fixtures/logos competing with the image I really doubt that is costing you votes here.

Some of us have observed a huge disconnect between votes here (as well as comments/views on MM in general) and our experience in the real world. Because of that you might reconsider using votes to steer decisions about directions in your art.

While I haven't been around there in many years, photoSIG used to be a good place to get useful feedback on direction and quality ...

And I hope that the above is not inflamatory - just sayin' as they say.

Aug 12 08 10:11 am Link

Photographer

StudioCMC

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Tommy Dee wrote:

While I'm not a fan of large copyright fixtures/logos competing with the image I really doubt that is costing you votes here.

Some of us have observed a huge disconnect between votes here (as well as comments/views on MM in general) and our experience in the real world. Because of that you might reconsider using votes to steer decisions about directions in your art.

While I haven't been around there in many years, photoSIG used to be a good place to get useful feedback on direction and quality ...

And I hope that the above is not inflamatory - just sayin' as they say.

Tommy, in no way is that inflammatory, I respect the opinions of others, and since we all see each others work all the time it simply is a valid point.

My CMC II account seems to win more than the color stuff does. I think the logo still might be too big.  I have been told it looks cool, but detracts from the shot, and so I am simply looking for a new design layout that can still incorporate the look. I used to be all big about copyright image and theft, But I do realize that its only a 72 Dpi image.

I'll have to go take a look at the site you offered. Many thanks for your input too! wink

Chris

Aug 12 08 11:05 am Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

bump thread up

Aug 12 08 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hana Song wrote:
May I please be listed, now that my profile has been
inspected and stamped with a seal of approval.
When you have the opportunity. wink
Thank you!

consider it done

Aug 12 08 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

ArmageddonTThunderbird

Norwalk, Ohio, US

StudioCMC wrote:
Tommy, in no way is that inflammatory, I respect the opinions of others, and since we all see each others work all the time it simply is a valid point.

My CMC II account seems to win more than the color stuff does. I think the logo still might be too big.  I have been told it looks cool, but detracts from the shot, and so I am simply looking for a new design layout that can still incorporate the look. I used to be all big about copyright image and theft, But I do realize that its only a 72 Dpi image.

What I had hoped not to be inflamatory was the suggestion that you not place too much stock in opinions that you might infer from votes/comments/image views here on MM. Many folks including our Moderator James, myself and several regulars have noted that what is considered our best work "in the real world" isn't very popular here.

Because of that I don't think that you are wise to base your opinions of the quality, desirability or whatever of your work on this somewhat fickle venue - unless of course your main target audience is Model Mayhem.

I'll try to make the time to compare your portfolios and give you a private review of my (often worthless) opinion ...

StudioCMC wrote:
I'll have to go take a look at the site you offered. Many thanks for your input too! wink

Chris

I've been thinking about going back there ... there used to be a lot of "serious" photographers there. It is a site more for photographers and not models - not to disparage models of course.

Aug 12 08 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

StudioCMC wrote:

Chris

i agree - you and SexCeeCee can start. I try to keep it going without dominating.
Last time I made a comment on a winner got flamed handily here and in another thread. Not sure the value of discussion if people only want 100% positive.
There are almost always going to be differences in aesthetics. For me that's the instructive fun part.
I know once I am physically able to shoot again I have a lot of new ideas and approaches I'm going to take as a result of the discussions here.

so there's my 3 cents. and I will begin writing more discussions of actual photographs starting tonight but please please let's heat from everyone!
dj

Aug 12 08 12:54 pm Link

Model

Nicole Moser

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I missed all of you for the last week while I have been in Vegas!!!!  I just now had a chance to play around a little while waiting for my MUA to arrive.

I should have some great new images to share in the days ahead!!!

Did Chris let anyone else win lately??? 

wink

Aug 12 08 02:55 pm Link

Model

Beth Caldwell

Dover, Delaware, US

Nicole Moser wrote:
I missed all of you for the last week while I have been in Vegas!!!!  I just now had a chance to play around a little while waiting for my MUA to arrive.

I should have some great new images to share in the days ahead!!!

Did Chris let anyone else win lately??? 

wink

Yay finally. I've had Nicole boobies withdrawal

Aug 12 08 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

ArmageddonTThunderbird

Norwalk, Ohio, US

I was honored and flattered to have been asked to join some of our esteemed colleagues for an interview in Jroslav Balek's (Jerry Whiter) World of the Nude Art blog.

My beloved big sis mentioned that I had selected excellent photos with which to make my points. A testament to Jarda's sensitivity - the image selections were his. Now I have to wonder if he hires out as a PE?

Aug 12 08 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Magicc Imagery

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Tommy Dee wrote:
I've been thinking about going back there ... there used to be a lot of "serious" photographers there. It is a site more for photographers and not models - not to disparage models of course.

Haven't been there in a while ... but i'll look for your shots!

Aug 12 08 09:04 pm Link

Model

Joye Chanson

Orlando, Florida, US

jandj studios wrote:

consider it done

Thank you much!

Look forward to playing and seeing all the awesome images.
Does the page for the contest thread always take a long time to load?
Or is it just me?  And...I asked this earlier...why don't more people vote?
Outside of the ones who enter...
Is it against rules to tell people to vote, period? 
Not vote for me...just vote.
nuff with the Q's
Thanks for letting me play! wink

Aug 12 08 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

jcmfinearts

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Great bunch of images yet again today... man it is getting to be tough around here, to play and votes are tough cause so many deserve it...

I would love some feedback on my image from today 18+ obviously smile
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … id=7943224
I am new to this style of photography and the model loves the image, I on the other hand just am not sure about it so.. would love to hear from those who shoot the fetish genre and see what you guys and gals think. Everyone though is welcome to tell me though.. good, bad or indifferent smile
Thanks and everyone keep on rockin with these images big_smile

Aug 13 08 12:01 am Link

Photographer

StudioCMC

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

jcmfinearts wrote:
Great bunch of images yet again today... man it is getting to be tough around here, to play and votes are tough cause so many deserve it...

I would love some feedback on my image from today 18+ obviously smile
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … id=7943224
I am new to this style of photography and the model loves the image, I on the other hand just am not sure about it so.. would love to hear from those who shoot the fetish genre and see what you guys and gals think. Everyone though is welcome to tell me though.. good, bad or indifferent smile
Thanks and everyone keep on rockin with these images big_smile

Well, for my input of your shot jcmfinearts, I look to the sharpness of the eyes of the subject in this shot. The eyes are a bit out of focus, where other parts of her body are razor sharp. When I choose images I look for the eye's connection to the viewer. I also think that the B&W (Conversion) is a bit to dark, and the subject is lost in the background. Thus the shot lost its visual connection.

So the subject the sexiness is lost in the quality, and a bit of the lighting or B&W conversion. I also am a PS user, and as a rule I clean up skin, the legs and the arms seem to have marks, that I would have removed. But that's just my opinion. And as you know My opinion only = one possible vote.

I hope that's not too harsh, I am just pointing out what jumps out at me.

The model, perhaps loves the image because it might be something new to her, but the quality of the shot comes down to just you. She might her looks or her pose, or what she is doing. I side step all that, and look at the photographer to only place opinion of what I would have done differently.

Again, its just my opinion..
Chris

Aug 13 08 08:54 am Link

Photographer

jcmfinearts

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

StudioCMC wrote:

Well, for my input of your shot jcmfinearts, I look to the sharpness of the eyes of the subject in this shot. The eyes are a bit out of focus, where other parts of her body are razor sharp. When I choose images I look for the eye's connection to the viewer. I also think that the B&W (Conversion) is a bit to dark, and the subject is lost in the background. Thus the shot lost its visual connection.

So the subject the sexiness is lost in the quality, and a bit of the lighting or B&W conversion. I also am a PS user, and as a rule I clean up skin, the legs and the arms seem to have marks, that I would have removed. But that's just my opinion. And as you know My opinion only = one possible vote.

I hope that's not too harsh, I am just pointing out what jumps out at me.

The model, perhaps loves the image because it might be something new to her, but the quality of the shot comes down to just you. She might her looks or her pose, or what she is doing. I side step all that, and look at the photographer to only place opinion of what I would have done differently.

Again, its just my opinion..
Chris

Chris,
Not to harsh at all sir, I am not one who will ask and then say hey that isn't fair.. lol
I normally would clean the skin up, that was my call not to on this thinking it might give a stronger bondage feel to the image...
The eyes are soft and that I had not noticed so I misssed smile thanks for seeing that and letting me know.
I did darken this image again going more for feel but that was one of the main reasons I wanted to hear thoughts on this.
Thanks Chris I do appreciate you taking your time to give your thoughts it is much appreciated.

John

Aug 13 08 10:39 am Link

Photographer

winjohn

Winchester, England, United Kingdom

Thanks to all who voted for my image
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … id=7952283

I am really surprised and delighted to have a winning entry on my first attempt.
I am happy for comments on it or any of the others in my portfolio.
Thank you to all who voted for it.
There are a lot of talented photographers here and you are always an inspiration to me. I've been doing the art nude thing less than a year so I have a long way to go, but I hope I'm heading in the right direction.

John

I've just seen "the list" I am happy to be added to it.

Aug 13 08 11:08 am Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

winjohn wrote:
Thanks to all who voted for my image
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … id=7952283

I am really surprised and delighted to have a winning entry on my first attempt.
I am happy for comments on it or any of the others in my portfolio.
Thank you to all who voted for it.
There are a lot of talented photographers here and you are always an inspiration to me. I've been doing the art nude thing less than a year so I have a long way to go, but I hope I'm heading in the right direction.

John

I've just seen "the list" I am happy to be added to it.

you are on the list.
Great entry yesterday

Aug 13 08 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Well I'm glad to see that some of you guys like my image better than some of the crowd in Critique LOL.

Aug 13 08 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Yay!  I won!  Thank you all.  smile

Aug 13 08 11:27 pm Link