Forums > Photography Talk > Strobists w/SB-800 thread

Photographer

Image Chaser

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

Hamza wrote:

Read the manual, I know it's against your religion, but it's worth th hour it will take!

Ask Canon!

the 580ex II's do

Feb 01 08 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

LaPuma

Bell, Florida, US

Ok I had to explore the camera some more, but I found out that it comes set to only show you the first ten option on the csm. I have opened the full menu now. I have found the commander mode.

My wife has went to bed, so I am bummed that I dont have a model. I might have to get my pitbull to model for me...lol

-Puma-

Feb 01 08 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Black Cat Modeling

Greenville, South Carolina, US

Is there a way to use the SB800 in commander mode remotley without having your on camera flash poped up and flashing?

Feb 01 08 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

shootrrdave

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Touch of Grace wrote:
Is there a way to use the SB800 in commander mode remotley without having your on camera flash poped up and flashing?

Its been a while since I played with the Nikon system and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you can set it to only trigger the off-camera unit without firing during the exposure. Either way it still has to be popped up to send the signals.

Feb 02 08 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Blue Ash Film Group

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

shootrrdave wrote:
Its been a while since I played with the Nikon system and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you can set it to only trigger the off-camera unit without firing during the exposure. Either way it still has to be popped up to send the signals.

On some bodies the built-in-flash will not add to the exposure even if you want it to; on other bodies you can set it to off, or to how much you want it to contribute.

Edit: I just realized that the question was about using the SB800 in commander mode.

Feb 02 08 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Blue Ash Film Group

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Feb 02 08 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Larry Brown Camera

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

Everything in my portfolio is SB-800's (all "off Camera") Commander & Slave(s) each set for manuel adjustment.

Feb 02 08 12:25 am Link

Photographer

DVP Photography

Broomfield, Colorado, US

I have 3 SB800's and 2 SB600's used off camera and the commander module on the camera.  The CLS system is fantastic, easy to use.  There is a whole lot of discussion here that is easliy answered by one hour with the manual or from brochures downloadable from Nikon.  Give it a try, it's worth the effort.

Feb 02 08 12:29 am Link

Photographer

DWolfe Photo

Germantown, Maryland, US

This image was done with two SB 600's  One camera left 6' away from the model and one camera right about 20' away from the model.  Both fired from CLS on a D300.

https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071116/19/473e315925d01_m.jpg

Feb 02 08 01:41 am Link

Photographer

LaPuma

Bell, Florida, US

I have got so much to learn. This is the best I could ge of my wife in the livingroom with my d-80 and a sb-800 shooting through a white umbrella.

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b173/LaPuma/DSC_0006edited.jpg

Its nowhere near the same level as you guys. I will keep practicing before I take on any serious shoots.

-Puma-

Feb 02 08 04:37 pm Link