Forums > General Industry > Most difficult shoot?? Whether setup....... or model.

Photographer

Mark - SydelineWorks

Wexford, Pennsylvania, US

I'm interested in hearing what makes for a difficult shoot!?!?

Jun 03 05 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

HDellinger

Chicago, Illinois, US

Camera breaking down would make the shoot pretty difficult... (I really need to get a backup)

Jun 03 05 12:07 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

My most difficult shoot may very well have been a fetish shoot for a japanese mag.  The photographer was very, very merticulous about posing and tiny details. Each frame took several minutes to set up, but he kept the hot lights on and it was summer with no AC and two were wearing fur and big synthetic wigs. Holding those awkard poses for more than a few minutes was often difficult, but when you figured in the sweltering heat, it was almost impossible. I was dripping swear and the MUA has to keep blotting me. The other model must not have had sweat glands, because she seemed fine.

Jun 03 05 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Actually, Theda, some people can just mentally distance themselves from heat. When you do that, you don't sweat very much if at all. All the science wonks will tell you that sweating's an involuntary response, but some people can do it. smile

As far as what makes a difficult shoot, I've had both sorts (model and non model.) Probably the most difficult model shoot I've had was with a model who was young and reasonably pretty, but who just had lots of minor figure/face flaws that you'd never notice when you were looking at her and talking to her but which the camera couldn't get past. She was nervous, the person she'd brought along wasn't helping that, and I just couldn't get her to relax or have any chemistry with me. I felt terrible - if I can't get a pretty  young girl to produce a nice image, I tend to think it's ME that has the problem - but I've seen other photographers work with her since and none of it is any better.

As far as technical difficulties, I've forgotten my strobe brollies, and I've had a background stand break on me. Other than sheer mechanical cussedness, adversity tends to make me focus rather than screw me up. I shot a model in the basement of the building where I work under some pretty crappy conditions and I rather enjoyed the challenge.

Give me a mechanical failure that I can address and correct over a model who has no presence any day, frankly.

M

Jun 03 05 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

John Swoger

Peoria, Arizona, US

I've had a couple difficult shoots. One comes to mind.

I drove from Pittsburgh to Letchworth Park in New York, about a 6 hour drive to work with a great model. She lives close to the park and has always wanted to do a shoot there. The park is gorgeous by the way, called the Grand Canyon of the East.

Well the area got a huge amount of rain right up to the day before our shoot; so to say the park was a little wet would be an understatement. I packed accordingly; bringing what I thought would be good shoes for the muddy terrain.

The model, Steph, took me all over the park to gorgeous locations, each better then the last. If you go there be prepared for some hill climbing as it's not called the Grand Canyon of the East for nothing.

The whole time we are hiking around I've got on my expensive hiking shoes and Steph has on a pair of inexpensive high-heeled boots. And as you can guess I'm the one slipping and sliding all over the place, she on the other hand never slipped even once.

After a great day of shooting with a wonderful lady, Steph had one final location in mind, a multi tiered waterfall not far from the park. I love waterfalls so I said, "let’s go". We parked the car and hiked about 1/4 mile to the spot. The water over certain parts of the falls was very shallow, about ankle deep, but other areas it was very deep, which I was soon to find out.

I positioned Steph on a large rock that stuck out from the falls, where the water was shallow. I then proceeded to walk down the side of the falls to a better vantage point for the shot. While in route I had to climb down a large rock about 3 or 4 feet high, all the while holding my Nikon D100 with 80-200mm zoom lenses. Things went well getting down the rock, but at the bottom I stepped in some algae, slipped, landed right on my butt and was off for a ride.

I slid down a small hill about 3 feet high on my back and butt, before hitting hard on the rocky surface at the bottom of that hill. Well my ride was not over yet, guess I paid for the "Ride all Day" ticket, because off I went down the next small hill. By this time I was building up a good head of steam. So when I reached the bottom of that and could see what awaited me over the next hill I was powerless to stop my descent. So over the last hill I went knowing the ride would be over soon, but having no idea what the final outcome of body and equipment would be.

Nearing the home stretch I saw my finish was going to be a wet one, but just how wet was anyone’s guess. This last hill emptied into a pool of water, which I hoped was shallow enough to save the camera which I to this point had managed to keep over my head and dry, but deep enough to cushion my body from the fall.

Well I was in luck the water was plenty deep enough, say chest high. Thankfully I went over the hill feet first and was able to land on them and those saving my camera at least from a dunking, I on the other hand was not that lucky and just managed to keep my head from going under.

I pulled myself to shore, check my equipment, namely my body and then yelled to Steph to look over my way and fired off a few shots. Steph did not see or hear my ride on the coaster. She was looking the other way and the sound from all the water meant she could not hear my screams. It was only after I went back out to her and she noticed I was all wet and had green slime all over my back that I told her what had happened. Needless to say she was bummed she missed the show.

Not wanting to get in my car all wet and slimy, I grabbed some clothes and did what all you models do while on location, changed in the wood.

I've been back to the park once since then, not to shoot but just to visit and this time I managed to stay upright the entire time.

Jun 03 05 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Dan RI

Providence, Rhode Island, US

I was shooting a still life.  It was agreed that an assistant to the designer would come and help me out on location.
At the last moment,  the designer told me that instead of the assistant;  his mother would go along and HELP me out.
She was no help and thought the shoot had a budget of 100,000 dollers. 
I had to bite my tongue but I don't have a poker face so she got angry anyway.  The shoot which was supposed to be a quick shoot in the park had to be moved to a studio with flowers and a white backdrop.

Jun 03 05 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

My most dificcult shoot was a model who kept leaving the set every 4 or 5 shots and wouldn't tell me what was up.
I found out later that she got so nervous at doing her first nude shoot she got her period early and she wasn't prepared at all!
If she'd only said something I would have run to the store and bought her whatever she needed...

Jun 03 05 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

John Swoger

Peoria, Arizona, US

Posted by Carlos Arturo Velarde: 
My most dificcult shoot was a model who kept leaving the set every 4 or 5 shots and wouldn't tell me what was up.
I found out later that she got so nervous at doing her first nude shoot she got her period early and she wasn't prepared at all!
If she'd only said something I would have run to the store and bought her whatever she needed...

Oh man the poor gal, I bet that was very nerve racking for her.

My first nude shoot ever, the gal I was working with was having her period and I had no idea until she said "is the string showing" and I was like "pardon"

Jun 03 05 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

My first nude shoot was a disaster. I drove 3 hours to pick her up. When I got there she had not slept or bathed. She had zits, greasy hair and no makeup. I should have turned and went back home, but I figured I am here I will try to salvage something.

She was supposed to scout a location, she didn't. We drove for a while until we found a nice state park. We found a good and fairly private location but there was still people within CLOSE earshot.

She undressed and exposed a sagging belly, drooping big butt  and a TON of body hair. We are talking 3 inches on her a$$. YIKES!

While we are shooting she says in a very loud voice "I love walking around naked in the woods!!!". I also got to hear her life story, you know the one "it's all somebody else's fault".

She is the reason I will not drive more than an hour for a TFP.

This was the only shoot that I was unable to salvage one photo from. Heck it is the only shoot I have removed from my computer.

Mike

Jun 03 05 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

HDellinger

Chicago, Illinois, US

Worst shoot for me was probably one I had last year with a model that typically does nude modeling.  When the model showed up her hair was frizzy, skin looked really bad and the clothes she brought were horrible.  She had 2 pairs of jeans and 3 tank tops that were the same tank, just different colors.  Her shoes were grungy tennis shoes that she wore in.  The makeup she had was makeup that another photographer had to buy her.

So I took her to a thrift store, picked out some clothes and she paid for them, but she gave me real hell about wearing a dress. neutral  Then we went next door and I bought her a couple pairs of basic heels that she complained about the whole time she was wearing them.

When we got back to where I photograph, I spent an hour+ straightening and defrizzing her hair and we started shooting.

The entire time she was making silly faces and waggling her tongue at me. Totally creeped me out. (Talk about creepy photographers....)  I think I have one usable photo out of that shoot, the rest I consider to be war wounds.

I was warned about working with her... maybe I should have listned sad

Jun 03 05 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

I got to say that most of the shoots are shoots that I am just not in the mood to shoot. I usually no matter the attitude of the model a professional photogrpaher knows how to maniulate the situation - model - props - lighting etc... the entire mood of a shoot can be fixed by showing one awsome poloriod or back of the digital cam to the model - she might think she does not look beautiful today but you just provved her wrong and the entire attitude changes..

I know for a fact when i feel like crap (IE: the tables are turned) it is much harder to fix my attitude ... especially if you have a headache or sick etc...... I do not shoot when I feel like crap (for what ever reason) I think it is my responsibility to be 100% plus for every shoot..

Jun 03 05 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Yeah, when I found out the reason I felt bad for being mad at her... at the same itme, I think a 27 year old should be comfortable enough to say "I have my period and need to get something" when it's getting in the way of a job.
Another model, Rory, whom I did I shoot with last month was new (first shoot, first nudes) and she just casually mentioned as she disrobed "let me know if the string shows so I can tuck it in"... and she's only 19!!! Needless to say I was very impressed by her composure, self-assurance, and professionalism in letting me know there was something I needed to watch out for while posing her.

Posted by John Swoger: 

Oh man the poor gal, I bet that was very nerve racking for her.

My first nude shoot ever, the gal I was working with was having her period and I had no idea until she said "is the string showing" and I was like "pardon" 

Jun 04 05 12:22 am Link