Forums > Photography Talk > Mr. Stephen Eastwood -- A question

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Zave Smith wrote:
I also use a one pack per head system.  One of the problems with mono lights that lets say you put a light 8 feet up a light stand and have it perfectly aimed.  Suddenly you decided that you want it a bit more powerful.  With a mono light, you have to find a ladder or bring the light down.  With a power pack, you just adjust the pack.

Unless you have the mono wired back to a small controller (wired or wireless).  I am not touting monos over packs, I am just trying to understand why one would use a pack system as a mono light.  To me, this particular reason can easily be over-come.

Now, other benefits of packs, like lighter heads than monos, cannot be overcome.

Jan 11 08 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

you have a point about remote control. That was not an option when I started buying my lights.  But can mono blocks give you 2000 watts a head?  The weight of a decently powerful light, in the form of a mono light, up high on a stand is not the best thing to think about.

Jan 11 08 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Zave Smith wrote:
you have a point about remote control. That was not an option when I started buying my lights.  But can mono blocks give you 2000 watts a head?  The weight of a decently powerful light, in the form of a mono light, up high on a stand is not the best thing to think about.

Agreed.

Jan 11 08 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Never liked mono lights.

1. Heavier for the end of a boom
2. Harder to group heads inside one soft box
3. If one light dies, you're down one head. When a pack dies, you can plug in another head from another pack
4. Not enough power when you need it
5. You can create banks of packs for more power
6. Packs are more reliable & flexible

Jan 11 08 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Frog516 wrote:

Don't know him, but I will kill him too

what about Ms Scarlett?

Jan 11 08 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
Never liked mono lights.

1. Heavier for the end of a boom
2. Harder to group heads inside one soft box
3. If one light dies, you're down one head. When a pack dies, you can plug in another head from another pack
4. Not enough power when you need it
5. You can create banks of packs for more power
6. More reliable & flexible

OK all good examples (except #3 because if a pack dies, you are in the same issue -- maybe worse if you only have one pack.... you are dead).

But, my question was directed specifically to those that use a 1 head to 1 pack setup.  So, a six light setup means 6 separate packs.....  Do you use this setup?

Jan 11 08 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Frog516 wrote:

Star wrote:
what about Ms Scarlett?

Dead.  And her little dog too.

Jan 11 08 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

MurphyMurphy Studios wrote:
OK all good examples (except #3 because if a pack dies, you are in the same issue -- maybe worse if you only have one pack.... you are dead).

But, my question was directed specifically to those that use a 1 head to 1 pack setup.  So, a six light setup means 6 separate packs.....  Do you use this setup?

Never carry one pack to a job so there's always one spare plus extra heads. I usually carry at least 3 packs, two extra heads and two light meters (or else there's a new assistant).

Yes. Usually for architectural work and group shots. The heads are easier to hide too.

Jan 11 08 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Eduardo Frances

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Fear Mongerer wrote:

Don't blow my cover!

What are you doing to my dumpster??? yikes!!!

Jan 11 08 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Keller Photography

FRESH MEADOWS, New York, US

Frog516 wrote:

Not the DOG!  What is wrong with the world!

LOL.

All I know is that I can't afford good pack and head systems right now.  Maybe later.  So monolights for me.

Hey Stephen... throwing anything away?  wink

Jan 11 08 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Frog516 wrote:

Keller Photography wrote:
Not the DOG!  What is wrong with the world!

LOL.

All I know is that I can't afford good pack and head systems right now.  Maybe later.  So monolights for me.

Hey Stephen... throwing anything away?  wink

yup.  The dog too.

But, gee, you guys that work over at B&H get first dips on all the great used stuff..... Seems like a nice pack will be coming your way soon!

Jan 11 08 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Keller Photography

Frog516 wrote:

yup.  The dog too.

But, gee, you guys that work over at B&H get first dips on all the great used stuff..... Seems like a nice pack will be coming your way soon!

Actually, I have several friends who've asked me to inform them anytime something on their list comes in.  Someone got a 50 dollar refurbished 50 1.8 for canon that way.

The best part about working there, in all honesty, I get to learn so much more through exposure.  There are a lot of photographers working there.  And of course a lot of them come into the store (that's how I met Stephen).  We sit around and talk, compare images, discuss technique.  And I get to play with every type of camera.  I have a better understanding of Canon gear because of it, and though I'll never switch from Nikon, I am actually considering picking up a 40D just to play with.

Jan 11 08 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Martini

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

I am actually considering picking up a 40D just to play with.

I wish I had your options.

Jan 11 08 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Keller Photography

Martini wrote:

I wish I had your options.

Believe me, it's tough to refrain from spending your whole paycheck at work.  They probably pay well because they know half their employees spend the money right there.

Jan 11 08 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

yup.  The dog too.

Actually, I have several friends who've asked me to inform them anytime something on their list comes in.  Someone got a 50 dollar refurbished 50 1.8 for canon that way.

The best part about working there, in all honesty, I get to learn so much more through exposure.  There are a lot of photographers working there.  And of course a lot of them come into the store (that's how I met Stephen).  We sit around and talk, compare images, discuss technique.  And I get to play with every type of camera.  I have a better understanding of Canon gear because of it, and though I'll never switch from Nikon, I am actually considering picking up a 40D just to play with.

OK.  Now I am envious.  I think you may be joining the Dog! 

LOL.

Jan 11 08 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Keller Photography

yup.  The dog too.

OK.  Now I am envious.  I think you may be joining the Dog! 

LOL.

Just become my friend.  LOL.  When the 1200 USM lens came in, Stephen was the first person I told.  wink

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … 7508&Q=&O=

Jan 11 08 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Martini

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

Believe me, it's tough to refrain from spending your whole paycheck at work.  They probably pay well because they know half their employees spend the money right there.

HA!

I'll bet you're exactly right.

You guys hiring? This boy needs  job.

Jan 11 08 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

While the ideal is one head per pack and that is where I start, there are many times where I have to double up my heads.  When I do this I try to put similar heads into the same pack.  What I mean is lets say I have two lights lighting up a background.  I want these two lights to be  around the same power.  I would put these two lights into the same power pack.  That way I can control the whole background from one pack.

Think of lighting as areas of influence.  You want to be able to control the light in each area as separately has possible.  Lets say that you have a couple in a kitchen drinking coffee and flirting.

One area of control is the background, a second is the foreground, a third area is the models faces, a fourth is hair lights.  The fifth might be a side light that adds modeling to their faces.  Ideally you want to be able to control both the shape and the power of each of these areas.  That is why shooting in large areas is nice because you get less spillage of light from one area into an another which allows more control.  This is why it is nice to be able to control each head separately. 

While most modern power packs allow asymmetric power,  with one pack per head, you really have more control.

And is not having control one of the reasons we became photographers?

Jan 12 08 05:53 am Link

Photographer

Long Island Studios

Sayville, New York, US

You know what's funny about that?

I had a customer come in the other day and told me he switched to Canon because Nikon wouldn't give him freebies.  So I asked if Canon does.  He very quietly muttered "No."

I am trying to get Holga to sponsor me:) Why is it you get sponsors at the exact time in your career when you no longer need them?

Jan 12 08 09:59 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

No Stephen??

Jan 12 08 10:01 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

First sorry for the delayed response although I kind of answered via proxy LOL 

Second thanks for the lovefest, you will all be forewarned to know I have now hired extra security, two in front of me and two behind at all times, requested all your arrest records and placed many of you on the stalker list, to watch out for wink 

Heavier heads especially on a boom with modifiers,   Packs tend to offer higher output per head, even if you needed to group two packs to one head, like the 4800ws fresnels, or 6400ws broncolor lights  and I have always found packs to be  more reliable, durable, consistent in color and power and flexible overall.  Broncolor offers individual control of power over each head, but its always better to not have to adjust them in banks so if you have the packs available I prefer that option. 

Its not the major variation, I have rarely ever seen professionals using monos on larger shoots ad rarely ever find monos in rental houses, and by now if any were real stand outs for any reason I am sure they would have made it in to some by now, overall pack/heads still seem to be favored, but I have used monos and vivitars and 10dollar slaves, I have used custom designed one of a kind fiber optic lights to 1.99 drug store lighting and flashlights to light scenes and the results worked just as well (I am actually using LED flashlights a lot recently, they are very cold but very cool to play with)  so its really a matter of knowing what to do with them and being aware of the inherent limitations with what you have available and knowing how to work around it to get what is needed.  Anything will do if you know what to do with it.  I would often prefer to have more lights than more light if you know what I mean. 

And make sure you all pick up a copy of Digital Photography SLR, January issue, out next week at Barnes and Nobles and lots of ther places magazine are sold.  Its a UK magazine, large article about me and the business of making money in photography smile  Or at least sit in B&N and read through it wink

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com

Jan 12 08 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
No Stephen??

Stephen is slowly rethinking being on this site as the recent events have shown it may not be worth staying around.

Stephen, Is now done talking about himself in the third person, but is thinking if he does leave this site he may have to write a bio for his page in the third person to make it sound very professional and interesting and raise his perceived importance in the eyes of readers who actually think someone else was writing it for his page wink

Stephen Eastwood

Jan 12 08 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

DeVaul Photography

Chagrin Falls, Ohio, US

StephenEastwood wrote:

Stephen is slowly rethinking being on this site as the recent events have shown it may not be worth staying around.

Stephen, Is now done talking about himself in the third person, but is thinking if he does leave this site he may have to write a bio for his page in the third person to make it sound very professional and interesting and raise his perceived importance in the eyes of readers who actually think someone else was writing it for his page wink

Stephen Eastwood

I don't know what "recent events" took place, but I do know that when I see that you've posted something I go right to that topic 'cause I'm sure I will learn something.  I'm hoping you stick around for a long time.

Jon
ps now get back to work on those DVD's

Jan 12 08 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Long Island Studios

Sayville, New York, US

StephenEastwood wrote:

Stephen Eastwood

It would be a great loss to me and a lot of others to lose your help and knowledge.

Jan 12 08 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

DeVaul Photography wrote:
I don't know what "recent events" took place, but I do know that when I see that you've posted something I go right to that topic 'cause I'm sure I will learn something.  I'm hoping you stick around for a long time.

Jon
ps now get back to work on those DVD's

I am giving free lessons in NY style sarcasm on the 12th wink  Look for my billboard advertising it right under mr Trumps learning center annex one big_smile

Stephen Eastwood

Jan 12 08 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

I don't know what "recent events" took place,

And where have you BEEN??????????????  How could anyone miss them?  LOL

Stephen Eastwood

Jan 12 08 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Stephen:

Thanks for all this your "explanation by proxy" was great (as was your direct response)!

Now, if I could only afford to get 6 Broncolor packs along with 5 or 6 hensel porties, I would be all set!  smile

Thanks again for taking time out of your busy schedule.

Jan 12 08 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

DeVaul Photography

Chagrin Falls, Ohio, US

StephenEastwood wrote:

And where have you BEEN??????????????  How could anyone miss them?  LOL

Stephen Eastwood

You're talking to a guy who took his dog for a ride the other day, and realized 5 hrs. later that I forgot to take him out of the car when I got home-so believe me, I miss a lot!

Jan 12 08 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

You're talking to a guy who took his dog for a ride the other day, and realized 5 hrs. later that I forgot to take him out of the car when I got home-so believe me, I miss a lot!

At least you don't live in the Las Vegas Desert smile  Those cars get like ovens! 

Stephen Eastwood

Jan 12 08 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

DeVaul Photography

Chagrin Falls, Ohio, US

StephenEastwood wrote:

At least you don't live in the Las Vegas Desert smile  Those cars get like ovens! 

Stephen Eastwood

He was so pissed that he made me put him on my page here-I worked out a deal though-"TFMB"
"Time for milk bone"

Jan 12 08 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Charlie Schmidt

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Dammit, he's got a tough looking avatar.  If it's a self portrait, we are gonna have to organize to take him down.  Chris, get his knees and I'll grab him from behind!

My Avatar will take him out

Jan 12 08 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Oh and I hate being called Mr  makes me sound so damn OLD!!!

Stephen Eastwood,   Eastwood,   Nutcase,   sarcastic NY obnoxious arrogant prick! 

they all work fine. smile

Stephen Eastwood

Jan 13 08 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

well, I read most of this on why use one pack per head thing, and basically what I got from it (as opposed to using monos) is simply not wanting to go to each light to adjust the power. Which by its self is ok, but you have to walk to the head anyways to adjust where its aiming several times during the shoot.

Do pro photographers use mono lights? When you define "professional" as someone who makes their living from photography, then yes they do. If you define it by say someone who shoots for well known magazines (on payroll), then yes they do. I know a guy who shoots for penthouse, just had a cover (and just got the February cover) who uses mono's (actually uses speedotron force 10's and force 5's, Lowell DP's,Octodome softbox, sometimes a ring light also)

If you buy quality mono lights they are as reliable and good as good pack systems.

the recycle time on packs are slower then mono's (from the ones I looked at, plus there was some other disadvantages with packs on the amount of shots you can take at full power -  I would have to re-read my book to verify exactly what it is)

mono's also allow you to adjust each head as you need

cons with packs ( I have a pack with my profoto ringlight) adds more equipment you have to pack and unpack and setup and buy carrying cases for.

adds more cables running all over the place. You have a power cord running from pack to outlet, and then from pack to head

basically what it comes down to is what system someone prefers and he told you the main reason for him, the only one you really can't do with mono's - which is adjust the power without going to the light.

Personally I use mono's (speedotron force series), with the exception of the one pack and ringlight. I can afford packs and heads if thats what I wanted but to me there is no real benefit to me of doing so. But its like I said, each person has their own opinion.

I know this is off topic, but in the end, it basically turned into a is packs better then mono's thread because there are only two reasons to use one pack per head
1: you can buy cheaper smaller packs (ie.. 1200 ws Vs. 2400 ws)
2: so you can adjust each head like a mono but without having to go to each head

Jan 13 08 02:47 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

you ever sell that zeus set up?

Stephen Eastwood

Jan 13 08 02:55 am Link

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

yup, AB and its sister brands (WL,Zeus) seem to sell really quick on here.
It was a decent light, just hated all the plastic and it was allot bigger then the profoto one I got. Also that little screw to hold the ringlight to the camera I really really hated.
I tried to pack the zeus stuff in the profoto boxes and it was way to big for the box.

StephenEastwood wrote:
you ever sell that zeus set up?

Stephen Eastwood

Jan 13 08 03:04 am Link

Photographer

S_Felix Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

Zave Smith wrote:

What are you shooting that needs 2000watts? A model with acne? LOL

Oct 07 08 02:02 am Link

Clothing Designer

nothing

Okinawa, Okinawa, Japan

StephenEastwood wrote:
Oh and I hate being called Mr  makes me sound so damn OLD!!!

Stephen Eastwood,   Eastwood,   Nutcase,   sarcastic NY obnoxious arrogant prick! 

they all work fine. smile

Stephen Eastwood

it is a good thing you stayed.

Oct 07 08 02:07 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Saul Felix  wrote:
What are you shooting that needs 2000watts? A model with acne? LOL

Large groups outside.  Vehicles. Buildings. Etc.

I assisted a phototrapher who used 20,000+ watt-seconds to just fill a 400+ person group shoot in daylight. I've frequently used 3000-5000 watt-seconds myself to light smaller groups or 10-40.

50-100 watt-second lights are usually more than enough for individuals or  small groups in small areas; they're not enough for everything.

The right tool for the job depends on the job. Sometimes it's a flashlight; sometimes it's a lot of studio strobes.

Oct 07 08 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Mike Yamin

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Can someone clue me in? I still don't know what Stephen is referring to!

Oct 07 08 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Rande

New York, New York, US

i used too work with a guy that did that. one pack one head. and had about 6-8 of them for a aset. He liked doing it cause it gave him more power. He already owned the padcks becuase he worked at multiple studioes with multiple sets so why limit himself. He prefered to blast a set with light and then dial it down as needed. Too much light is never an issue big_smile

Oct 07 08 03:15 am Link