Forums > Photography Talk > Amvona backdrops

Photographer

PhotoSeven

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Has anyone used their muslin backdrops?  Are they any good?  If not, what brands do you suggest?

Jan 17 08 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoSeven

*bump*

Jan 17 08 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

I've ordered from them.  The ones I have are almost a foot shorter than the width of my backdrop stand.

Jan 17 08 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoSeven

Were they the length that they were quoted as being?  How thick were they?  What's the quality?

Jan 17 08 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoSeven

Anyone.....?

Jan 17 08 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I got one from them on Ebay - I was going to buy duvateen, but in a fit of pique over the asking price, I searched for a black muslin. Lo, and behold, Amvona was there with a $45, 9' x 20' black muslin.

Inexpensive? Yes.
Cheap? Oh my, yes.

It was thin, unevenly dyed, and not at all well treated with any sort of fabric sizing, so I spent a couple hours trying to get the wrinkles out, then when I hung it, the lighting highlighted the patina created by the iron. In the end, it just looked cheap and wrong. I ended up using it to make a couple room-dividing drapes.

If you want to stay within a budget, I'd say go with seamless paper. Yeah, it's long, and can be tedious to store, but the results are so much more reliable.

Good luck smile

Jan 17 08 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoSeven

Thanks, that's what I expected.  If it sounds too good to be true....well you know.

Jan 17 08 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

JennySwansonPhotography

DeKalb, Illinois, US

I've actually purchased about 4 through them through amvona. Go through their ebay site, rather than amvona.com you'll save a lot of money. I've liked the muslins thus far... Here are some photos where I've used them:
http://www.jennyswansonphotography.com/ … b278dbe552

Jan 17 08 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Billy The Kid Studios

CLEARWATER BEACH, Florida, US

I have 9 Amvona 10 x 12's and 10 x 20's.  They are awesome!  I have been pleased with their product.  Their communication is not so great and their mailing time is a little slow.  However, I am thrilled with the muslins that I have from them.

Jan 17 08 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Night Light Images

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

I get them from e-bay for about $26 each. So far that are pretty good. 

If you watch the bids right you can get the fairly cheap.  Tip... don't waste your time in a bidding war and end up paying too much because they pop another one on as soon as one is finished.  I just wait until the last 2 minutes and put in a top bid range.

If I want high quality, there is a guy is Sacramento that makes them.

Jan 17 08 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Richard Gorremans wrote:
I get them from e-bay for about $26 each. So far that are pretty good. 

If you watch the bids right you can get the fairly cheap.  Tip... don't waste your time in a bidding war and end up paying too much because they pop another one on as soon as one is finished.  I just wait until the last 2 minutes and put in a top bid range.

What he said about the bidding war.  Don't run the price up on yourself.

As to quality?  They are good enough and get the job done.  They ship pretty fast too.

Jan 18 08 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

I have order 2 from them and both have worked out great for me.......

Mac

Jan 18 08 10:09 am Link

Photographer

David Bickley

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I have a few from them, never been disappointed. I did buy one from ebay, once. I will never do that again. I would suggest shopping from them direct, not through ebay.

Jan 18 08 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Amvona, they have great stuff on eBay if you bid wisely.  Depending on the color, their muslins vary in thickness.  Check the feedback on their site.  I ordered a lot stuff (>$1,000) from them, very happy with their quality/price.  Good luck.

Jan 18 08 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Atris Everson

Mansfield, Ohio, US

I've looked at their backdrops but there was never anything that sparked my interest. I've purchase several from the seller Photo4u2 (Silverlake) and their hand painted muslins are great. A little bit more pricey but well worth it. I paticularly like how well they look when you use them with strobes. Here is a listing from them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DN4-66X9-Hand-Paint … dZViewItem

As others have suggested wait until the last two minutes and avoid the bidding wars.

Jan 18 08 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Bowen

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Side Effects Studio wrote:
I got one from them on Ebay - I was going to buy duvateen, but in a fit of pique over the asking price, I searched for a black muslin. Lo, and behold, Amvona was there with a $45, 9' x 20' black muslin.

Inexpensive? Yes.
Cheap? Oh my, yes.

It was thin, unevenly dyed, and not at all well treated with any sort of fabric sizing, so I spent a couple hours trying to get the wrinkles out, then when I hung it, the lighting highlighted the patina created by the iron. In the end, it just looked cheap and wrong. I ended up using it to make a couple room-dividing drapes.

If you want to stay within a budget, I'd say go with seamless paper. Yeah, it's long, and can be tedious to store, but the results are so much more reliable.

Good luck smile

So right! I bought a bunch of plain-coloured background fabrics when I was staring out and they were *very* cheap-looking. I soon switched to 9' and 12' seamless paper rolls. Unless you really go for that 'makeover photo' cloud background look, stick with paper. smile

Jan 18 08 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Second Chance Imaging

Houston, Texas, US

I have tried many but I went to a cloth store, I think it was Hancock and bought some Quilt backing material.  It is flat black on one side and a black/grey on the other.  It was 120" wide and I had them cut it 20 ft long.  Cost was only $45.  I was so happy that the next time I came back and bought the ble and the red also.  I treat it very rough and it/they have not failed me yet.

Jan 18 08 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Dan Haga

Parkville, Maryland, US

I have 3 from them.  The patterns/colors didnt really match what they show on the website but I was still able to get good results with them.

As far as quality & materials I cant complain.

I did make the mistake of shooting with dogs on a black one... Anyone know if these can be washed/dryed?

Jan 18 08 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

I prefer "Background in a Bag" which have worked out great for me and can be folded down and transported wrinkle free (almost)

Background in a bag from B&H

Don Wright wrote:
Has anyone used their muslin backdrops?  Are they any good?  If not, what brands do you suggest?

Jan 18 08 10:42 am Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

With "budget" brands such as Amvona----it's always a gamble.  (And a gamble I won't take or waste my time/money on).  Top qulaity muslins command top-dollar for a reason.

In portraiture, often cheap muslins just look.....cheap.

www.kendoophotography.com

(no cheap muslins!)

; )

Jan 18 08 10:56 am Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

I really like these two and might have to buy them. Though the size ( 6'6" x 9' ) is a bit small. I think they would look great in color or shot in Black and white.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 0112314626

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI … 0181257861

Jan 18 08 11:10 am Link

Photographer

DaVinci Pro Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I have a few but usually use them when shooting kids. For fashion. glam I find seamless paper to be much more versitile and gives an overall cleaner look

Jan 18 08 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Tommy Boy Photo

Buffalo, New York, US

Terry Breedlove wrote:
I really like these two and might have to buy them. Though the size ( 6'6" x 9' ) is a bit small. I think they would look great in color or shot in Black and white.

That first one is the one I've wanted, but more than I want to pay.  I bought a blue one that size from them and it is pretty nice.  I can't expect too much for the 25.00 I paid for it.

I did buy one form Amvona, very thin material and not even close to the color shown, but again you get what you pay for.

Jan 18 08 11:30 am Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Woodland Hills, California, US

David Bickley wrote:
I have a few from them, never been disappointed. I did buy one from ebay, once. I will never do that again. I would suggest shopping from them direct, not through ebay.

I disagree. The prices they quote on their site are WAY overpriced, whereas a weekday auction ending at 3pm may go for a 1/4 of the price.

My take on Amvona so far:

Large octobox- great build, more accesories than I'll ever need. Comparable to Photoflex.

Softboxes- same as above. Comes with a grid and internal diffusion. Built for 1k lights, so plenty durable for strobes.

I bought a kit from them 3 years ago for around 350. shipping is sloooow. The kit included the following:
3 very heavy duty 13' stands on wheels

3 1k lights with 4 bulbs each ( 500 and 1k)

3 softboxes

I sold one setup for 200 on CL with an old stand, so for 150 I have 2 good softboxes, 3 good stands,  and 2 1k lights ( I added dimmers)

I use the hotlights still, sometimes...

The backdrops are flimsy, thin, and poory dyed. I purchased unbleached seamless muslin from a Grip supply house in L.A. and made my own.

Jan 18 08 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Atris Everson

Mansfield, Ohio, US

Christopher Bowen wrote:
So right! I bought a bunch of plain-coloured background fabrics when I was staring out and they were *very* cheap-looking. I soon switched to 9' and 12' seamless paper rolls. Unless you really go for that 'makeover photo' cloud background look, stick with paper. smile

I agree with Chris as well the seamless paper rolls do a great job and they are reusable and they dont cost that much. I've started picking up a few as well. The only downside is that they are a pain to haul around.

Jan 18 08 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Atris Everson

Mansfield, Ohio, US

Terry Breedlove wrote:

Dont jump at the Buy it Now prices. You have to be patient because this seller does not flood EBay with their auctions. They tend to end auctions during high traffic periods. Typically the 6x9 musling go between $35 & $55. The larger 10x12 usually sell between $50 and $120. I purchased one of the 6x9 muslins and it was too small so I ended up selling it on craigslist. The 10x20 usually go for $100+

Jan 18 08 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Yeah all but one that I bought may as well be a sheet.  Even the thick one you can see light through.

You get what you pay for.

Jan 18 08 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

Atris Everson wrote:

Dont jump at the Buy it Now prices. You have to be patient because this seller does not flood EBay with their auctions. They tend to end auctions during high traffic periods. Typically the 6x9 musling go between $35 & $55. The larger 10x12 usually sell between $50 and $120. I purchased one of the 6x9 muslins and it was too small so I ended up selling it on craigslist. The 10x20 usually go for $100+

Thank you for the tip.I will be watching. smile

Jan 18 08 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

It is nice to have thick muslin, but is not neccesary unless you put it against a window.    IF you control you light properly and move the subject away from the BG, you will never  have any problems. 

Also don't let the color and the material of the muslin bother you.  Hang it on the stands and control your light, you will like the outcome better.

Jan 18 08 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoSeven

Connor Photography wrote:
It is nice to have thick muslin, but is not neccesary unless you put it against a window.    IF you control you light properly and move the subject away from the BG, you will never  have any problems. 

Also don't let the color and the material of the muslin bother you.  Hang it on the stands and control your light, you will like the outcome better.

I tend to shoot pretty wide open and like to keep my subject away from the backdrop, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I have a few rolls of seamless paper that work fine, just running out of space to store them, so I thought that I would give the muslins a try.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Jan 18 08 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Bassett

Hollywood, Florida, US

I'm running into a problem. The area I'm in is only 7 ft high. The stands are too high for seamless.

Sep 12 09 03:02 am Link