Forums > Photography Talk > sRGB or adobeRGB

Photographer

Michael R Kihn Studios

Erie, Pennsylvania, US

Digitallure Photography wrote:
Not to cut off the OP, but wouldn't it be a little backwards to change from a lower color space to a higher color space. Say from sRGB to Adobe RGB?

Yea I saw that
alittle worthless actually

Jan 18 08 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Altitude Photography

Santa Clara, California, US

Michael R  Kihn Studios wrote:

Yea I saw that
alittle worthless actually

I'm not an expert, but there _may_ be value if you plan to do a lot of editing.  more room to manipulate within the larger space.  not sure though.

For my part, I work in Adobe rgb 1998 within photoshop, then convert to sRGB for export to web.  To show how little I know, I never realized you could change what space to shoot in. (?)  I always shoot camera raw and that seems to default to sRGB on my canon 5d.

Jan 18 08 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

oscar rabeiro

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Seems to be some misunderstanding here about color space and bit-depth.  Lots of info can be found online specifically for clarification.

Long short:

Someone above wrote about the 'know-it-alls' and mentioned Ken Rockwell.  I agree, Ken is wrong about 'only' needing sRGB. But that's his call.  He says a lot of things....

Color space: shoot AdobeRGB (1998).  HUGE gamut.
Convert to sRGB only when needing the images for web, multimedia (screen)
CMYK color space used for printing.

Note the above because changing color space does change the appearance of your image as colors are shifted to 'fit' into the smaller area.

That's my 2 cents...

Jan 19 08 01:28 am Link

Photographer

122Photography

Kitwe, Copperbelt, Zambia

How do you convert to SRGB?

If i upload adobe RGB to web, will that change how it's displayed on the web?

Someone said lightroom automatically converts to SRGB when exporting. How do i stop this?

Aug 12 09 05:00 am Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

Karim I Photography wrote:
How do you convert to SRGB?

If i upload adobe RGB to web, will that change how it's displayed on the web?

Someone said lightroom automatically converts to SRGB when exporting. How do i stop this?

If you use save for web in Photoshop it will convert to sRGB.  Lightroom will do it automatically.  You don't want to "stop this" if you're uploading to the web.  If you upload Adobe RGB your images may look "flat" and the colors will be off, depending on which browser the viewer uses and how they have their machine set up.  sRGB will display closer to what you see on your computer on the machines of your viewers.

Aug 12 09 06:14 am Link

Photographer

JStuckless Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Fred Brown wrote:

Ditto. Color space works well when used where it is intended to be used!

Indeed, the right tool for the right job.  Sticking to any one tool limits you.

Aug 12 09 06:22 am Link

Photographer

ty kyu

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thyronne wrote:
AdobeRGB for shooting and printing, sRGB for web

Bingo big_smile

Aug 12 09 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

studionewmarket wrote:
which one are you using, just curious?
thank you
Peter

sRGB

Aug 12 09 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

It depends.

AdobeRGB has a broader color palette or color depth than sRGB. So logically you would assume that AdobeRGB is "better". And that is true, but only if you can see it.

A vast majority of monitors and printers cannot see the extra color available in AdobeRGB.

Unless you have one of the very few monitors that can display the full AdobeRGB color gamut (like one of the Eizo screens), and use a printer that will print in the AdobeRGB color space, then it is totally a waste.

I would hazard a guess that a large number of people here that advocate for the "better" AdobeRGB can't even see it on their own monitors.

Aug 12 09 11:10 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

once i leave lightroom it's sRGB into photoshop. aRGB can create headaches when you give files to others (like models).

Aug 12 09 11:35 am Link

Photographer

ckhd Photography

Saint Johns, Arizona, US

Thyronne wrote:
AdobeRGB for shooting and printing, sRGB for web

+1

Aug 12 09 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

studionewmarket wrote:
which one are you using, just curious?
thank you
Peter

I retouch in profoto and print in mostly srgb, I personally can't tell the difference with adobergb and I don't feel it's worth it for most anything I'll do.

Aug 12 09 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Leroy Dickson

Flint, Michigan, US

Depends on my intended output.

Aug 12 09 01:58 pm Link