Forums > General Industry > Models first photo should be...............

Photographer

Mark - SydelineWorks

Wexford, Pennsylvania, US

To catch the photog/agent/etc....eye......... what should be the first photo a "newbie" model should have??  Glam..... Swim...... Lingerie..... Nude.... Facial Portrait...... Etc......

Jun 04 05 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

All of the above... for best results...

Jun 04 05 03:54 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

It's usually a beauty shot, but it would depend on who's attention you're trying to attract.

Jun 04 05 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Mapp Photography

Santa Clarita, California, US

I think it's all depended upon what type of modeling the model is try to pursue. I have been told by some agents, that with new models, all they need to see is a good clean headshot and body shot (usually in a swimsuit). I think we as photographers can tell whether or not we want to work with a model from these two types of shots. But again, i think it all depends on the model.   

Jun 04 05 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

Polaroid.

Jun 04 05 04:34 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

depends on the market and the genre you are pursuing

commercial print = big smiley headshot.

Jun 04 05 05:05 pm Link

Model

Peabo

Headshot...BUT, ALWAYS have a set of polaroids!!!
Peabo

Jun 04 05 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Aimercat: 

best advice given...know who you are dealing with, what looks they want and provide those images...

bring fashion or glamour images to a commercial print agency will get you nowhere but the circular file...

bringing polaroids to a commercial print agency that wants you to have completed comp cards and portfolio isn't going to get you anywhere either..

Jun 04 05 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

As an art guy, I like to see something that clearly shows facial features and general body shape.  It's nice to get enough diversity to feel like we can be on the same page, artistically.  And it's nice to see at least a little narrative that shows a reasonable grasp of reality.

I also understand that my artistic style isn't what a great number of models are looking for as their business. So tailor the presentation to the business that you want to get (assuming you have the shots to present).  I'm just stating the obvious there, I know.

Jun 04 05 06:28 pm Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

First photos should be the starting foundation of a portfolio - they should display the models personality type but really show her face and body type off

NUDE photos NEVER make for a great first set. That jsut attracts perverts to prey upon her inexperinace.

Jun 04 05 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

NO NUDES, NO LINGERIE, NOTHING SUGGESTIVE! Go for a sharp clean face shot and a full length shot which shows the figure/posture.

Jun 04 05 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

In almost all cases a headshot. I can't imagine anyone being frowned upon by having a headshot first, it's the safest possible shot to use.

Jun 04 05 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Aimercat: 

best advice given...know who you are dealing with, what looks they want and provide those images...

bring fashion or glamour images to a commercial print agency will get you nowhere but the circular file...

bringing polaroids to a commercial print agency that wants you to have completed comp cards and portfolio isn't going to get you anywhere either..

Great advice really given by all.  I agree with this one the most.

But to those new who may not know or understand what a poloroid is for many photographers do not shoot them anymore.
In my opinion,  a poloroid in todays world means a shot that does not have photoshop done on it at all.  It is a shot that the model does not have much makeup on. 
Now it might be in the form of a actual poloroid or a digital image that has not been retouched.

But no one has said the special words that gets confused in todays over photoshoped world.   The model needs an image that shows what she looks like in a flattering but real way.

The agency,  photographer,  casting agent,  booker, or makeup artist needs to see what THE MODEL LOOKS LIKE.

The model needs shots that show what she looks like.

=====beware below......

I think we all missed the first shot truly needed and those are the pillow shots.  The shots that often need a cleaning person for the face.   Maybe a little lingerie or at that age it is called DIAPERS.

Watch out for the baby phuck(spelling--hey how often do you spell it out).

I love my baby pictures.  sometimes nude.

======Serious again.

So I say a shot that fits what you need and "who's attention you are trying to grab".   I do not like the idea of  a nude for a first timer but if that is her/his game then why wait for the inevitable.

So above all a beauty shot where we can see what the model looks like.   Then a body shot.  I  would not try to over do it the first time.  People get tired.  Modeling is hard,  just ask a model.

My post may be long but I took the liberties of summerizing what the others had said.

Jun 05 05 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Bribe money.

Jun 05 05 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

At least one shot each of every type of image the model want to do in his/her career.

Jun 06 05 01:15 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Carlos Arturo Velarde: 
At least one shot each of every type of image the model want to do in his/her career.

They can't ALL be the first shot.

Even if by some miracle of physics they could, unless a model's goals in the industry are very narrow, you wouldn't want to show every potential client the same thing.  Your book is your resume, and just like your resume, should be tailored to fit the needs of the hiring party.

Jun 06 05 10:37 am Link

Model

ahmed87

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Posted by Monsante Bey: 
Bribe money.

lol, i like that one :p

Jun 06 05 10:58 am Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

Oh, and need it be said - the LOCATION of the first photos is important too

someones livingroom, bedroom, whatever is NOT a great place to shoot - its a rare day that someones bedroom or livingroom is good for shooting

Jun 06 05 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Lady Atropos: 
Oh, and need it be said - the LOCATION of the first photos is important too

someones livingroom, bedroom, whatever is NOT a great place to shoot - its a rare day that someones bedroom or livingroom is good for shooting

Neither is a studio if the photographer can't shoot! But when a photographer has a vision that he can excute, a great shot can be obtained anywhere.

Jun 06 05 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by marksora: 
In my opinion,  a poloroid in todays world means a shot that does not have photoshop done on it at all.  It is a shot that the model does not have much makeup on. 
Now it might be in the form of a actual poloroid or a digital image that has not been retouched.

Just curious are you saying that thats a bad thing? 90% of what I turn into agencies are un-retouched JPG's on a CD.

Jun 06 05 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Mark Leighty: 
To catch the photog/agent/etc....eye......... what should be the first photo a "newbie" model should have??  Glam..... Swim...... Lingerie..... Nude.... Facial Portrait...... Etc......

I think a distinction should be made between an Internet Portfolio and a Hand carry port.

Jun 06 05 01:10 pm Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

i agree with Fred. i had a lot of other images (ps'd, with lots of makeup/hair changes, etc) in my portfolio to show range, but the agency wanted that clean (minimal makeup) headshot and a clean body shot (swimwear).

so, for a first shoot?  1. clean headshot, hair back, smile; 2. clean headshot, no smile; hair back; 3. repeat #1 with hair up; 4. repeat #2 with hair up; 5. clean body shot (bikini if 'straight size'; one piece if plus size).

pretty simple.  smile  wish i'd known that before spending so much on photos, but hey, i wouldn't trade the camera time and experience shooting for anything, as it's made me more comfortable/polished!!!  smile

Jun 06 05 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Zoe: 
i agree with Fred. i had a lot of other images (ps'd, with lots of makeup/hair changes, etc) in my portfolio to show range, but the agency wanted that clean (minimal makeup) headshot and a clean body shot (swimwear).

so, for a first shoot?  1. clean headshot, hair back, smile; 2. clean headshot, no smile; hair back; 3. repeat #1 with hair up; 4. repeat #2 with hair up; 5. clean body shot (bikini if 'straight size'; one piece if plus size).

pretty simple.  smile  wish i'd known that before spending so much on photos, but hey, i wouldn't trade the camera time and experience shooting for anything, as it's made me more comfortable/polished!!!  smile

So Zoe, a little birdie told me you just got signed by ELITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew they would take you!!! woo hoo!!!!!! congrats - Go Zoe it's your birthday - lol

Jun 06 05 01:56 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Fred Brown: 
Neither is a studio if the photographer can't shoot! But when a photographer has a vision that he can excute, a great shot can be obtained anywhere.

Amen, Fred. Some might be surprised to discover how many fashion editorials are actually shot in a tiny apartment.

Jun 06 05 03:16 pm Link